2008 Honda CRF250X
Back to 2008 Honda Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge for detail.
They make great desktop images.
– 2008 Honda CRF250X
2008 Honda CRF250X
Winning magazine shootouts as well as the hearts of serious off-road riders, the CRF250X offers a rare combination of light weight and tractable power in one of the best handling packages in the off-road world.
Built for the unique demands of enduro and cross-country racing, the CRF250X’s uncanny combination of wide, tractable powerband and rugged, lightweight chassis allow it to go almost anywhere you — or the course designer — can imagine. You’ll love the way the Unicam four-stroke engine’s immense torque hauls you out of sticky situations. Top-shelf Showa suspension keeps everything under control, with a huge range of adjustability so you can get the ride just the way you like it. And for 2008, new wave-style brake rotors, a lighter muffler, a new front tire, and ignition timing changes add up to even better performance and lower lap times.
With its awesome balance of power, handling, weight and size, the CRF250X is the perfect off-roader for trail riders and pro racers alike. Start with its impeccable CRF250R pedigree, add electric start, wide-ratio gearing, new-for-2008 ignition timing, new brake rotors and a slimmed-down fuel tank, and once again Honda has proven the best can get better.
Features & Benefits
New for 2008
– New works-type front and rear brake discs reduce unsprung weight.
– New Dunlop 742FA front tire for improved turning feel and traction.
– New narrow-design fuel tank for improved rider ergonomics.
– Electric start system for easy starting in all conditions.
– Gas-tank capacity is 1.9 gallons.
– Resettable, easy-to-read three-digit odometer.
– USDA-qualified muffler/spark arrester.
– Powerful 35w halogen headlight features an innovative lens for a wide range of illumination.
– Integrated LED taillight in rear fender.
– Convenient sidestand.
– Easy-access air filter.
– Wide-ratio five-speed transmission.
– Suspension tuned for competitive off-road riding needs.
– 18-inch rear wheel for greater flat-tire protection.
– Powerful four-stroke 249cc liquid-cooled four-valve Unicam® engine is designed to produce power across a wide rpm band for easy-to-control operation (see Technology Section).
– Electric starter drives the clutch side of the crankshaft to provide superior lubrication to starter gears, and produce a narrow engine with a short, strong crankshaft.
– Compact, lightweight engine assembly weighs only 59.3 pounds.
– ACG cover, clutch cover and cylinder-head cover are made of magnesium to reduce engine weight.
– Forged 12.9:1 compression slipper piston is lighter than a conventional design, revving quickly while maintaining excellent cylinder sealing and high-rpm power.
– 37mm Keihin FCR-type carburetor features four rollers on the flat slide, resulting in light throttle effort, smooth operation, crisp throttle response and excellent rideability.
– Carburetor features a throttle position sensor (TPS) to help maintain linear throttle response throughout the rpm range.
– Twin-sump lubrication system separates the oil supply for the crankshaft, piston and valve train from the clutch and transmission. This ensures a cool supply of oil to the clutch, eliminates clutch and transmission material contamination of the engine oil, reduces the amount of circulating oil and permits the use of a smaller oil pump.
– Exhaust system uses a lightweight stainless steel exhaust header and muffler equipped with spark arrester.
– Dual radiators feature a refined core area for improved heat dissipation compared to conventional dual-radiator design, and coolant recovery tank.
– Gear-driven balancer reduces vibration and drives the water pump. Eight clutch plates provide the surface area necessary to handle the engine’s massive torque, while carefully matched clutch springs provide a light feel at the lever.
– T-ring-sealed chain is approximately 1.6mm narrower and is stronger compared to conventional chains.
– Durable five-speed wide-ratio transmission.
-Fourth-generation Twin-Spar Aluminum Frame with forged-aluminum steering head (see Technology Section).
– 18-inch rear wheel features same lightweight rear hub and HRC works-type lightweight aluminum spoke nipples as used on the CRF250R.
– Front wheel features large-diameter front axle and wide wheel-bearing span for excellent rigidity.
– Rear-axle diameter of 25mm and large-diameter bearings provide optimum rigidity to withstand torturous off-road conditions.
– Revised, sophisticated Inverted Twin-Chamber Cartridge Fork (see Technology Section).
– Pro-Link® Rear Suspension with new damper settings (see Technology Section).
– Large 50mm rear shock damper piston diameter for consistent performance under demanding riding conditions.
– HRC works-type rear brake system integrates the rear master cylinder and fluid reservoir, eliminating the need for a separate reservoir and hose assembly.
– Rider ergonomics are optimized by adapting the handlebar, seat and footpeg height to place the rider’s legs at the narrowest frame width for improved comfort and handling feel.
– Rear brake pedal and shift lever are made of lightweight aluminum and are designed to complement the riding position. Brake pedal features optimized ratio to match integrated rear-brake master-cylinder design.
– Wide, cleated stainless steel footpegs are self-cleaning, resist corrosion, provide excellent grip and fold for extra ground clearance.
– Aluminum Renthal handlebar (971 bend) is rubber-mounted to help reduce rider fatigue and improve comfort.
– Handlebar holders provide two different mounting positions to match rider preference.
– Works-type handlebar grips add to rider comfort.
– Adjustable front brake lever.
– Quick-adjust clutch.
– Chain guide material offers improved wear resistance, and service life is five times greater than conventional materials.
– Front disc brake cover helps protect rotor and caliper from damage.
– Removable rear subframe allows easy maintenance.
– Washable, two-stage foam air filter for optimal engine protection and easy maintenance.
– Comfortable, durable controls and high-quality fasteners.
– Stainless steel clutch cable for long life.
– Honda Racing™-inspired colors and graphics.
– Purchase of a new, previously unregistered Honda USA-certified unit by an individual retail user in the United States qualifies the owner for a one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Rider’s Club of America® (HRCA®). Visit www.hrca.honda.com for details.
Engine Type: 249cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
Bore and Stroke: 78mm x 52.2mm
Compression Ratio: 12.9:1
Valve Train: Unicam; four-valve Intake Valve Size: 31mm
Exhaust Valve Size: 26mm
Induction: Keihin 37mm flat-slide carburetor with throttle position sensor (TPS)
Ignition: CD with electronic advance and lighting coil
Starting: Electric and kick
Transmission: Wide-ratio five-speed
Final Drive: #520 T-ring-sealed chain; 13T/49T
Front: 47mm inverted Showa cartridge fork with 16-position rebound and 16-position compression damping adjustability; 12.4 inches travel
Rear: Pro-Link Showa single shock with spring preload, 17-position rebound damping adjustability, and compression damping adjustment separated into low-speed (13 positions) and high-speed (3.5 turns); 12.4 inches travel
Front: Single 240mm disc with twin-piston caliper
Rear: Single 240mm disc
Wheelbase: 58.3 inches
Rake (Caster Angle): 27.54°
Trail: 118mm (4.7 inches)
Seat Height: 37.7 inches
Ground Clearance: 13.6 inches
Fuel Capacity: 1.9 gallons
Curb Weight*: 253 pounds
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel-ready to ride.
Consult owner’s manual for optional racing parts.
Meets current CARB and EPA standards.
California version differs slightly due to emissions equipment.
MSRP: $8,299 CDN
Engine Type Liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
Displacement 249 cc
Bore & Stroke 78 mm x 52.2 mm
Compression Ratio 12.9:1
Valve Train Unicam, four-valve
Fuel Delivery Keihin 37 mm flat-slide carb with TPS
Transmission Wide-ratio five-speed
Final Drive #520 T-ring-sealed chain; 13T/49T
Front Suspension 47 mm inverted Showa cartridge fork with 16-position rebound and 16-position compression damping adjustability; 315 mm (12.4 inches) travel
Rear Suspension Pro-Link Showa single shock with spring preload, 17-position rebound damping adjustability, and compression damping adjustability separated into low-speed (13 positions) and high-speed (3.5 turns); 315 mm (12.4 inches) travel
Tires 80/100 – 21 front; 100/100 – 18 rear
Brakes Front 240 mm disc with twin-piston caliper; rear 240 mm disc
Ground Clearance 345 mm (13.6 inches)
Seat Height 957 mm (37.7 inches)
Dry Weight TBA
Fuel Capacity TBA
Colour Extreme Red
Specifications and features are subject to change