2008 Honda CRF450X
Back to 2008 Honda Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge for detail.
They make great desktop images.
– 2008 Honda CRF450X
2008 Honda CRF450X
By winning the world-renowned Baja 500 and Baja 1000 races, the immensely popular CRF450X has earned its crown as the new King of Baja, and now in 2008 it grows more versatile than ever before.
Here’s a bike that can win right out of the box, while also being quite willing to go along on those fun trail rides with your buddies. The CRF450X’s 449 cc liquid-cooled Unicam four-stroke engine produces huge low-end and midrange power to get you through the gnarliest sections, yet it maintains incredibly strong top-end performance for when the trail straightens out. And for 2008 the CRF450X handles even better, thanks to the new Honda Progressive Steering Damper tucked neatly behind the front number plate. Other upgrades include lighter wave-style brake rotors front and rear, and a slimmer fuel tank for improved ergonomics.
After winning every Baja race it‘s entered, the CRF450X has established its racing cred—and then some. Hands down, it‘s the best big-bore trail bike ever built. And this year, it gets even better, with fine-tuning that includes a new Honda Progressive Steering Damper, chassis upgrades, and a slimmer fuel tank. Call it perfection, improved.
Features & Benefits
New for 2008
– New Honda Progressive Steering Damper (HPSD). Developed by Team Honda, this lightweight, compact steering damper improves cornering ability and helps reduce rider fatigue
– New fork triple clamps with 22mm offset and revised front axle placement improve fork action and turning traits.
– New works-type front and rear brake discs reduce unsprung weight.
– New Dunlop 742FA front tire for improved turning feel and traction.
– New narrow-design fuel tank and seat for improved rider ergonomics.
– New engine de-compression system is lighter and more compact.
– Carburetor features revised settings and new accelerator pump and linkage for improved throttle response.
– Electric-start system for easy starting in all conditions.
– Fuel-tank capacity is 1.9 gallons.
– Resettable, easy-to-read three-digit odometer.
– USDA-qualified muffler/spark arrester.
– Powerful 35w halogen headlight offers a wide range of illumination.
– Integrated LED taillight in rear fender.
– Convenient sidestand integrated into left footpeg bracket can be easily removed for competition events.
– Wide-ratio five-speed transmission.
– Suspension and chassis tuned for competitive off-road riding needs.
– 18-inch rear wheel for greater flat-tire protection.
– T-ring-sealed chain is approximately 1.6mm narrower, and stronger compared to conventional chains.
– Skid-plate and engine guards feature a unique three-piece design.
– Powerful four-stroke 449cc liquid-cooled four-valve Unicam® engine is designed to produce power across a wide rpm band for off-road riding (see Technology Section).
– Electric starter drives the clutch side of the crankshaft to provide superior lubrication of starter gears, and produce a narrow engine with a short, strong crankshaft.
– Compact, lightweight engine assembly weighs only 71 pounds.
– Lightweight titanium intake valves permit use of smaller valve springs, reducing overall engine height.
– Clutch cover and cylinder-head cover are made of magnesium to reduce engine weight.
– Forged 12.0:1 compression slipper piston is lighter than a conventional design, revving quickly while maintaining excellent cylinder sealing and high-rpm power.
– Nikasil cylinder lining is lightweight and provides cooler and quieter operation for extended engine life.
– 40mm Keihin FCR-type carburetor features four rollers on the flat slide, resulting in light throttle effort, smooth operation, crisp throttle response and excellent rideability.
– Carburetor features a throttle position sensor (TPS) to help maintain linear throttle response throughout the rpm range.
– Twin-sump lubrication system separates the oil supply for the crankshaft, piston and valve train from the clutch and transmission. This ensures a cool supply of oil to the clutch, eliminates clutch and transmission material contamination of the engine oil, reduces the amount of circulating oil and permits the use of a smaller oil pump.
– Exhaust system uses a lightweight, stainless steel exhaust header and muffler equipped with spark arrester.
– Dual radiators feature a refined core area for improved heat dissipation compared to conventional dual-radiator design. Coolant recovery tank is located in front of the engine between the frame down-tubes for improved center of gravity. Coolant tank is protected by plastic skid-plate.
– Gear-driven balancer reduces vibration and drives the water pump. Eight clutch plates provide the surface area necessary to handle the engine’s massive torque, while carefully matched clutch springs provide a light feel at the lever.
– Durable and versatile five-speed wide-ratio transmission.
– Fourth-generation Twin-Spar Aluminum Frame with forged-aluminum steering head (see Technology Section).
– HPSD features a compact damper attached to the upper triple clamp and the steering head to augment more aggressive steering characteristics and assist straight-line handling. Tuned specifically for higher speed, non-motocross, off-road riding applications, the CRF450X damper incorporates different valving/settings compared to the units on the motocross models. HPSD provides straight-line confidence at high speeds, a planted feel in corners, less rider fatigue and outstanding control over a wider variety of terrain and riding conditions.
– 18-inch rear wheel features same lightweight rear hub and HRC works-type lightweight aluminum spoke nipples as used on CRF®450R.
– Front wheel features large-diameter front axle and wide wheel-bearing span for excellent rigidity.
– 25mm Rear-axle diameter and large-diameter bearings provide optimum rigidity to withstand torturous off-road conditions.
– Revised, sophisticated Inverted Twin-Chamber Cartridge Fork (see Technology Section).
– Pro-Link Rear Suspension (see Technology Section) with new damper settings.
– Large 50mm rear shock damper piston diameter for consistent performance under demanding riding conditions.
– Compact twin-piston front brake caliper, anodized aluminum brake pistons and lightweight front brake disc minimize unsprung weight for improved turning and handling.
– HRC works-type rear brake system integrates the rear master cylinder and fluid reservoir, eliminating the need for a separate reservoir and hose assembly.
– Rider ergonomics are optimized by adapting the handlebar, seat and footpeg height to place the rider’s legs at the narrowest cross-section of the frame for improved comfort and handling feel.
– Rear-brake pedal and shift lever are made of lightweight aluminum and are designed to complement the riding position. Brake pedal features optimized ratio to match integrated rear-brake master cylinder design.
– Wide, cleated, stainless steel footpegs are self-cleaning, resist corrosion, provide excellent grip and fold for extra ground clearance.
– Aluminum Renthal handlebar (971 bend) is rubber-mounted to help reduce rider fatigue and improve comfort.
– Handlebar holders provide two different mounting positions to match rider preference.
– Works-type handlebar grips add to rider comfort.
– Adjustable front brake lever.
– Hot-start lever conveniently located on clutch perch.
– Quick-adjust clutch perch.
– Front disc brake cover helps protect rotor and caliper from damage.
– Removable rear subframe allows for easy maintenance.
– Comfortable, durable controls and high-quality fasteners.
– Stainless steel clutch cable for long life.
– Honda Racing™-inspired colors and graphics.
– Purchase of a new, previously unregistered Honda USA-certified unit by an individual retail user in the United States qualifies the owner for a one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Rider’s Club of America® (HRCA®). Visit www.hrca.honda.com for details.
Engine Type: 449cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
Bore and Stroke: 96mm x 62mm
Compression Ratio: 12.0:1
Valve Train: Unicam; four-valve
Intake Valve size 35mm
Exhaust valve size 30mm
Induction: Keihin 40mm flat-slide carburetor with throttle position sensor (TPS)
Ignition: CD with electronic advance and lighting coil
Starting: Electric and kick
Transmission: Wide-ratio five-speed
Final Drive: #520 T-ring-sealed chain; 13T/51T
Front: 47mm inverted Showa cartridge fork with 16-position rebound and 16-position compression damping adjustability; 12.4 inches travel
Rear: Pro-Link Showa single shock with adjustable spring preload, 17-position rebound damping adjustability and compression damping adjustment separated into low-speed (13 positions) and high-speed (3.5 turns); 12.4 inches travel
Front: Single 240mm disc with twin-piston caliper
Rear: Single 240mm disc
Wheelbase: 58.2 inches
Rake (Caster Angle): 27.05°
Trail: 115 mm (4.5 inches)
Seat Height: 37.9 inches
Ground Clearance: 13.6 inches
Fuel Capacity: 1.9 gallons
Curb Weight*: 269 pounds
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel-ready to ride.
Consult owner’s manual for optional racing parts.
Meets both EPA and California Air Resources Board (CARB) emissions standards.
MSRP: $9,099 CDN
Engine Type Liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
Displacement 449 cc
Bore & Stroke 96 mm x 62.1 mm
Compression Ratio 12:1
Valve Train Unicam, four-valve
Fuel Delivery Keihin 40 mm flat-slide carb with TPS
Transmission Wide-ratio five-speed
Final Drive #520 T-ring-sealed chain; 13T/51T
Front Suspension 47 mm inverted Showa cartridge fork with 16-position rebound and 16-position compression damping adjustability; 315 mm (12.4 inches) travel
Rear Suspension Pro-Link Showa single shock with spring preload, 17-position rebound damping adjustability, and compression damping adjustability separated into low-speed (13 positions) and high-speed (3.5 turns); 315 mm (12.4 inches) travel
Tires 80/100 – 21 front; 110/100 – 18 rear
Brakes Front 240 mm disc with twin-piston caliper; rear 240 mm disc
Ground Clearance 348 mm (13.7 inches)
Seat Height 963 mm (37.9 inches)
Dry Weight TBA
Fuel Capacity TBA
Colour Extreme Red
Specifications and features are subject to change