2008 Honda VTX1300R
Back to 2008 Honda Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge for detail.
They make great desktop images.
– 2008 Honda VTX1300R
2008 Honda VTX1300R
This muscular V-twin custom obviously follows right in the footsteps of the awesome VTX1800 as it delivers distinctive custom styling and loads of torque-all in a high-value package.
Think classic retro. Think a cool look all its own. The VTX1300R is all that and a whole lot more. The bold style begins with deeply valanced fenders — they’re old-school, but clean and shapely in a way that vintage fenders never could be. More classic styling? Check out the wide floorboards, the heel-and-toe shifter, and the long chrome pipes that just keep stretching back forever. Of course, under that bold retro look is the most modern of engineering, including a V-twin engine designed to produce loads of low-end grunt and an ear-pleasing rumble.
Classic, old-school cool. That sums up the VTX1300R, whose “R” stands for retro, by the way. You’ll understand once you get an eyeful of this beauty, with its deeply valanced fenders, chrome-hooded headlight and timeless tank-mounted instruments. Then, of course, there’s the mighty 1312cc V-twin snarling its throaty growl through staggered dual exhaust. Yeah…it doesn’t get much more classic than this.
Features & Benefits
New for 2008
– VTX1300R & C models feature sleek restyled two-into-two exhaust system with bullet-style mufflers for a classic custom look.
VTX 1300R features stylish chrome side covers.
– VTX1300R colors include Black, Pearl White, Metallic Blue
Unique VTX1300R Features
– Deeply valanced front and rear fenders, chrome-hooded headlight, broad fuel tank with tank-mounted instruments, semi-swept handlebar and floorboards with heel-and-toe shifter create a classic retro style that sets the VTX apart from the competition.
– Rider comfort is enhanced with comfortable ergonomics and a firmly padded saddle featuring a low 27-inch seat height.
– Retro-style cast wheels.
– Large 140/80-17 front tire gives the R model a commanding profile.
– 1312cc liquid-cooled 52-degree V-twin delivers strong low-end and mid-range torque, with ample power for passing and relaxed cruising.
– Powerplant features a single-pin crankshaft to accentuate the VTX engine’s character.
– Dual two-axis primary counterbalancers minimize harsh engine vibration without eliminating the powerful pulse transmitted by the VTX’s traditional V-twin design.
– The engine mounting system uses carefully matched hangers to eliminate unwanted vibration, while preserving the powerful character of the V-twin engine.
– Three-Valve Dual Plug Combustion Chamber (see Technology Section)
– Easy-to-service screw-and-locknut valve clearance adjusters.
– Single 38mm constant-velocity carburetor offers crisp throttle response at all engine speeds.
– Electronic control unit (ECU) provides 3-D ignition maps for each cylinder, creating ideal spark advance settings for superb rideability.
– Coolant-heated carburetor improves rideability and ensures smooth operation in cold conditions.
– Unique dry-sump oil system utilizes a closed-crankcase design and places the oil tank inside the gearbox case. The result is a freer-revving engine for improved power and a lower engine height, allowing optimum rider ergonomics and a low 27-inch seat height.
– Custom chromed two-into-two exhaust system produces a deep exhaust note.
– Radiator with cooling fan maintains consistent engine temperature for optimum performance and long engine life.
– Maintenance-free automatic cam-chain tensioners.
– Sturdy clutch utilizes a rubber clutch-center damper to ensure smooth and quiet shifting.
– Five-speed transmission with carefully selected gear ratios for exciting roll-on performance.
– Shaft final-drive system provides smooth, low-maintenance operation.
– Drive-flange design at the final-drive gear eliminates final-drive noise and wear, and simplifies rear wheel installation.
– The engine’s power is harnessed by a massive tubular steel frame and gives the VTX a long, low, classic stance.
– Large 41mm extended front fork provides 5.1 inches of plush yet responsive travel.
– Dual chromed rear shocks with five-position preload adjustment feature an advanced internal valve system for a comfortable ride.
– Front disc brake features a twin-piston caliper with a large-diameter 336mm stainless-steel rotor. Combined with the rear single-piston caliper and 296mm stainless-steel rotor, the brakes provide excellent stopping power.
– Specially designed tank-mounted chrome housing features a speedometer, odometer/A&B tripmeter and indicator lights for the turn signals, high beam, neutral, oil pressure and coolant temperature.
– Electric speedometer with easy-to-read classic numerals uses an electronic transmission speed sensor, which eliminates the front-wheel-mounted speedometer cable. This contributes to a clean, uncluttered look.
– Extensive chrome-finish of engine parts include cylinder-head covers, valve inspection covers, airbox cover, left crankcase cover, clutch cover and left-rear engine cover.
– Distinctive, chrome-hooded headlight housing features a powerful 55/60-watt halogen bulb with a computer-designed multireflector for superb lighting in all conditions.
– VTX1300C and R models feature a stylish chrome tank emblem.
– Handlebar design provides a comfortable, upright riding position.
– Comfortably padded, large-diameter handgrips with polished aluminum handlebar switch housings and triple-clamp assembly.
– 4.8-gallon fuel tank for extended cruising and touring range.
– Reliable 364-watt alternator.
– Durable, maintenance-free 12-amp-hour battery.
– Convenient push-to-cancel turn-signal switch.
– Transferable one-year unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
– Assembled in Marysville, Ohio.
– Purchase of a new, previously unregistered Honda USA-certified unit by an individual retail user in the United States qualifies the owner for a one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Rider’s Club of America® (HRCA®). Visit www.hrca.honda.com for details.
Available Honda Genuine Accessories VTX1300R
Windscreens/Lightbars: Custom Windscreen, Lower Wind Deflectors, Boulevard Screens (two styles: Clear and Tinted), Sport Screen, Chrome Lightbar, Chrome Spotlight Visors.
Leather: Saddlebags (three styles: Studded, Fringed and Plain), Leather Touring Bag (three styles: Studded, Fringed and Plain), Leather Front Pouch (three styles: Studded, Fringed and Plain), Leather Tank Belt with Pocket (two styles: Studded and Plain).
Backrest: Chrome Backrest with Pad (available in Tall and Low styles), Deluxe Chrome Backrest w/ Pad, Deluxe Chrome Backrest Trim w/ Emblem, Chrome Rear Carrier, Deluxe Chrome Rear Carrier, Adjustable Chrome Backrest w/ Pad, Chrome Backrest w/ Pad (Tall, Neo-Retro), Chrome Backrest w/ Pad (Low, Neo-Retro), Chrome Backrest Trim (Tall, Neo-Retro), Chrome Backrest Trim (Low, Neo-Retro), Chrome Rear Carrier (Neo-Retro), Chrome Passenger Grabrails.
Chrome: Front Fender Trim, Front Fender Tip, Front Fender Ornament, Chrome Rear Fender Trim, Chrome Solo Seat Rear Carrier, Chrome Seat Rail Trim, Chrome Allen-Bolt Inserts (three sizes: 5mm, 6mm and 8mm), Chrome Driveshaft Cover.
Billet: Master-Cylinder Cap (four styles: Fluted, V Design, Neo-Retro and Chrome), License Plate Frame (three styles: Fluted, V Design and Neo-Retro), Clutch Cover, Timing Cover, Swingarm Pivot Cover Set, Countershaft Cover Trim, Driveshaft Bolt Cover (three styles: Fluted, V Design and Neo-Retro), Dipstick, Banjo-Bolt Covers.
Additional Honda Genuine Accessories: Digital Audio System, Cycle Cover, Rubber Heated Grips, Chrome Heated Grips.
(Accessory availability and specifications subject to change without notice.)
Model: VTX1300R Engine Type: 1312cc liquid-cooled 52° V-twin
Bore and Stroke: 89.5mm x 104.3mm
Compression Ratio: 9.2:1
Valve Train: SOHC; three valves per cylinder
Induction: Single 38mm constant-velocity carburetor
Ignition: Digital with three-dimensional mapping, two spark plugs per cylinder
Final Drive: Shaft
Front: 41mm fork; 5.1 inches travel
Rear: Dual shocks with five-position spring preload adjustability;
VTX1300R: 3.7 inches travel
Front: Single 336mm disc with twin-piston caliper
Rear: Single 296mm disc with single-piston caliper
VTX1300R: 65.7 inches
Rake (Caster Angle): 32.0°
VTX1300R: 144mm (5.7 inches)
VTX1300R: 27.35 inches
Fuel Capacity: 4.8 gallons, including 1.0-gallon reserve
VTX1300R; Black, Pearl White, Metallic Blue.
Curb Weight*: VTX1300R: 710 pounds
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel-ready to ride.
Meets current EPA standards.
California version meets current CARB standards and may differ slightly due to emissions equipment.
MSRP: $11,299 CDN
Engine Type Liquid-cooled 52-degree V-twin
Displacement 1,312 cc
Bore & Stroke 89.5 mm x 104.3 mm
Compression Ratio 9.2:1
Valve Train Chain-driven SOHC, 3 valves per cylinder
Fuel Delivery Single 38 mm CV carb
Transmission Wide-ratio five-speed
Final Drive Shaft
Front Suspension 41 mm fork, 129 mm (5.1 inches) travel
Rear Suspension Dual shocks with adjustable spring preload, 94 mm (3.7 inches) travel
Tires 140/80 – 17 front; 170/80 – 15 rear
Brakes Front single 336 mm disc with dual-piston caliper; rear single 296 mm disc with single-piston caliper
Seat Height 695 mm (27.4 inches)
Wheelbase 1,669 mm (65.7 inches)
Dry Weight TBA
Fuel Capacity 18 litres
Colour Pearl Alpine White
Specifications and features are subject to change