2008 Honda XR650L
Back to 2008 Honda Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge for detail.
They make great desktop images.
– 2008 Honda XR650L
2008 Honda XR650L
For those who refuse to stop at the pavement’s end, the venerable electric-start XR650L can extend your motorcycle adventure to roads less traveled–be they dirt roads, trails or forgotten byways–in proven dual-sport style.
Dual-sport, dual-purpose — no matter what you call it, the XR650L puts the fun in functional. Sure, the headlight and turn signals make this bike street-legal, but at the heart of this machine lies Baja 1000-winning tech that just begs to be taken off-road too. Add an electric starter and you’re looking at a potent 650cc four-stroke as ready for the dirt as it is for the daily commute.
Happy to get dirty, but fully street ready with standard lights, mirrors and turn signals. That’s the Honda XR650L: a true two-wheel all-terrain vehicle. Its 644 cc RFVC four-stroke engine has the low-end torque to pull you out of a deep mud hole, and the horsepower to cruise effortlessly on the highway when your trail ride is over. Aggressive dual-sport tires grip hard on dirt, gravel or pavement, and the fully adjustable Showa suspension makes small work of big rocks or deep potholes. A bike that’s this much fun gets ridden a lot, so we also made sure it’s comfortable for long hours in the saddle.
Features & Benefits
– Bulletproof 644cc SOHC four-stroke engine produces power and torque ideally suited for both on- and off-road riding.
– Radial Four-Valve Combustion Chamber (RFVC) allows excellent combustion efficiency and high power output.
– 42.5mm constant-velocity (CV) carburetor offers crisp throttle response, excellent driveability and maximum power.
– Reliable electric starter system allows easy push-button starting.
– Gear-driven counterbalancer minimizes bothersome and tiring vibration.
– Free-flowing, two-into-one exhaust system with quiet, USDA-qualified spark arrester/muffler.
– Maintenance-free automatic cam chain tensioner and solid-state CD ignition with electronic advance keep you out of the shop and on the road.
– Dry-sump engine maximizes power by minimizing crankshaft windage and engine temperature.
– Durable five-speed transmission offers a gear for every on- or off-road situation.
– Heavy-duty, multi-plate clutch.
– Heavy-duty, low-maintenance #520 O-ring-sealed drive chain.
– Semi-double-cradle steel frame is lightweight, strong and offers precise handling manners.
– 43mm XR™-spec Showa cartridge fork features 16-position compression damping adjustability and superb off-road performance.
– Pro-Link® Rear Suspension (see Technology Section)
– Lightweight, strong and durable aluminum box-section swingarm with quick-detach rear wheel.
– Front and rear disc brakes offer superb stopping power.
– Lightweight yet super-strong wheels.
– Frame-mounted passenger footrests allow two-up riding capability.
– Aggressive, dual-purpose front and rear tires offer excellent performance both on and off road.
– 18-inch rear wheel for greater tire selection.
– Lightweight rims and hubs feature straight-pull spokes.
– Honda Racing-inspired colors and graphics.
– Combination headlight/number plate and dual airflow shrouds direct cool air to the engine.
– Enduro-style headlight features high/low beams.
– Motocross-style seat is comfortable and allows maximum rider movement.
– Large, durable fenders keep debris off the rider.
– Lightweight tubular engine guard.
– Wide-section, folding, cleated footpegs are comfortable and self-cleaning.
– High-output 12-volt electrical system.
– Flex-mounted turn signals resist breakage.
– Compact speedometer features tripmeter/odometer, a neutral light as well as high-beam, turn-signal and sidestand indicators.
– Easy-to-use choke allows for simple cold-weather starts.
– Push-to-cancel turn-signal switch.
– High-quality controls include comfortable grips and brush guards.
– Convenient helmet lock and rear-fender-mounted tool kit are standard equipment.
– Transferable one-year limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
– Purchase of a new, previously unregistered Honda USA-certified unit by an individual retail user in the United States qualifies the owner for a one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Rider’s Club of America® (HRCA®). Visit www.hrca.honda.com for details.
Engine Type: 644cc air-cooled, dry-sump, single-cylinder four-stroke
Bore and Stroke: 100mm x 82mm
Compression ratio: 8.3:1
Valve Train: SOHC; four-valve RFVC
Induction: 42.5mm diaphragm-type constant-velocity carburetor
Ignition: Solid-state CD with electronic advance
Final Drive: #520 O-ring-sealed chain; 15T/45T
Front: 43mm air-adjustable leading-axle Showa cartridge fork with 16-position compression damping adjustability; 11.6 inches travel
Rear: Pro-Link Showa single shock with spring preload, 20-position compression and 20-position rebound damping adjustability; 11.0 inches travel
Front: Single disc with twin-piston caliper
Rear: Single disc
Wheelbase: 57.3 inches
Rake (Caster angle): 27.0°
Trail: 102mm (4.0 inches)
Seat Height: 37.0 inches
Ground Clearance: 13.0 inches
Fuel Capacity: 2.8 gallons, including 0.6-gallon reserve
Curb Weight*: 346 pounds
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel–ready to ride.
Meets current CARB and EPA standards.
California version differs slightly due to emissions equipment.
Engine Type Air-cooled dry-sump single-cylinder four-stroke
Displacement 644 cc
Bore & Stroke 100 mm x 82 mm
Compression Ratio 8.3:1
Valve Train SOHC, four-valve RFVC
Fuel Delivery Single 42.5 mm CV carb
Transmission Five-speed with manual clutch
Final Drive #520 O-ring-sealed chain; 15T/45T
Front Suspension 43 mm air-adjustable leading-axle Showa cartridge fork with compression damping adjustability; 295 mm (11.6 inches) travel
Rear Suspension Pro-Link Showa single shock with spring preload, compression and rebound damping adjustability; 279 mm (11 inches) travel
Tires 3.00 – 21 front; 4.60 – 18 rear
Brakes Front 255 mm disc with dual-piston caliper; rear 220 mm disc with single-piston caliper
Ground Clearance 330 mm (13 inches)
Seat Height 940 mm (37 inches)
Wheelbase 1,455 mm (57.3 inches)
Dry Weight 157 kg (346 lb) including required fluids and full tank of gas – ready to ride
Fuel Capacity 10.6 litres
Specifications and features are subject to change