2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Back to 2008 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge for detail.
They make great desktop images.
– 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
KAWASAKI VULCAN® 2000 BLENDS AUTHORITATIVE POWER AND STUNNING IMAGERY
Ample V-Twin Muscle wrapped in sleek Vulcan styling
With its classic V-twin lines, big power and just the right amount of modern touches, the Vulcan® 2000 cruiser is a perfect blend of old and new that provides riders with more of everything they expect from a cruising motorcycle.
The Vulcan 2000 cuts its own styling swath through the pack; starting with its sharp looking new black-out treatment that starts at its black chrome nacelle wrapping around the powerful four-bulb, projector-type headlight. Flowing back, this new visual treatment starts immediately at the fork with its black chrome upper covers, and black painted lower legs and black-out inner brake discs for a new avant-garde anti-chrome look. Maintaining the fluidity of the black-out style are the black chrome speedometer and air cleaner covers. A matte black frame and new Metallic Diablo Black color tie all of this together with an eye-appealing balance. Mounted on the stretched flange-free fuel tank, the stylish instrument panel keeps the rider informed with large-face speedometer and a V-shaped panel holding a LCD display and warning lamps. The bucket-type saddle with locking sleek, low profile passenger seat continues the Vulcan 2000’s long, shapely curves while providing all-day riding comfort.
At the heart of this remarkable Kawasaki is its massive 2,053cc V-Twin engine featuring a 103 x 123.2mm bore and stroke, forged pistons, alloy-steel connecting rods, a huge 220mm flywheel, dual cams located within the one-piece crankcase and right-side pushrods actuating four valves per cylinder. The push rod design reduces the 125 cubic inch engine’s height, directly contributing to the Vulcan 2000’s low center of gravity and relatively low seat height. Plus, hydraulic valve lash adjusters automatically maintain zero valve clearance for smoother, quieter operation.
Like the frame, the black matte finished Vulcan 2000’s cylinders provide a dramatic contrast to the polished cooling fins – which manage the temperatures for the bottom three-quarters of the engine. The top quarter of the V-twin engine is liquid cooled. Additionally, the engine and transmission have built-in oil and water pumps, and the transmission serves as the oil tank.
An electronic engine control unit (ECU) manages the fuel injection system with dual 46mm throttle bodies and sub throttle valves, combined with an iridium spark plug ignition system to provide sharp throttle response at any rpm. The sub-throttle valves and fine atomizing injectors help the Vulcan 2000’s fuel injection provide a smooth, linear power band with increased power and optimum fuel economy. Cruiser enthusiasts will appreciate that classic V-twin rumble from the Vulcan 2000’s dual polished mufflers, thanks to its single-pin crankshaft, while dual counter balancers and rubber engine mounts keep the vibrations at bay.
The engine is utilized as a member of the Vulcan’s steel, double-cradle frame, which has a large-diameter, box-section single-tube backbone. A simple but elegant rear steel tube swingarm suspension with a direct-action single shock provides 3.9 inches of travel, and includes spring preload and rebound adjustment. Up front, a large 49mm fork provides precise steering feedback and 5.9 inches of travel.
The Vulcan 2000 rides on bright, cast aluminum 16-inch wheels with a 150/80 front radial tire and a huge, 200/60 rear radial tire. Dual 300mm front disc brakes with four-piston calipers and a single rear disc brake with two-piston caliper bring this cruiser to smooth, powerful stops.
– Four-stroke 2,053cc, (125 cu. in.) 52° V-twin, engine produces massive torque across the entire rpm range
– Strong and light forged pistons and alloy connecting rods
– Huge 220mm flywheel smoothes power delivery
– Push-rod valve actuation contributes to lower engine height, low center of gravity and relatively low seat height
– Hydraulic valve adjusters reduce maintenance
– Engine Control Unit (ECU) manages electronic fuel injection and digital ignition system optimizes throttle response
– Fuel injection system features sub throttle valves for a smooth, linear power band
– Fine atomizing injectors in the fuel injection system deliver ultra-fine fuel/air mixture for greater combustion efficiency, increased power and optimum fuel economy
– Center spark plugs enhance combustion for smooth, consistent power and reduced emissions
– Liquid and air cooling maintain consistent operating temperatures
– Engine and transmission feature built-in oil and water pumps, reducing the number of parts and weight
– Single-pin crank provides the desirable power-pulse feel and classic V-twin sound
Transmission / Final Drive
– A gear position sensor in the five-speed transmission sends signals to the ECU, further enhancing fuel injection and ignition performance
– Smooth, quiet, reliable and low maintenance belt final drive
Frame and Suspension
– Steel double-cradle frame features large-diameter, box-section single-tube backbone for strength
– Utilizing the engine as a stressed member of the frame minimizes chassis weight
– Steel tube swingarm is simple and elegant
– Direct-action single shock features spring preload and rebound damping adjustment with 3.9 inches of travel for a smooth ride
– Large 49mm forks provide precise steering feedback and 5.9 inches of travel
Wheels and Tires
– 7-spoke, 16-inch cast aluminum wheels add to the Vulcan 2000’s high-quality look
– 200/60R series rear tire puts the power to the ground
– Radial tires enhance handling supply a firm, “planted” feel
– Dual 300mm front disc brakes with four-piston calipers and single rear disc brakes provide smooth, powerful stops
– Stylish Nacelle headlight cover gives the Vulcan 2000 a high-class look
– Powerful, four-bulb projector-type headlights brighten the road for nighttime rides
– Large 5.5-gallon fuel tank enables long-distance road trips
– Chrome instrument panel keeps the rider informed with a large-face speedometer, LCD display and warning lamps
– Bucket-type front seat and sleek passenger seat provide all-day rider comfort and style
SPECIFICATIONS USA – 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000:
Engine: Four-stroke, air/liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valves per cylinder, 50-degree V-twin
Displacement: 1,552cc / 95ci
Bore x stroke: 102.0 x 95.0mm
Compression ratio: 9.0:1
Maximum torque: 94 lb-ft @ 2,700 rpm
Induction: Digital fuel injection with dual 36mm Kehin throttle bodies
Ignition: TCBI dual plug with digital advance
Final drive: Shaft
Frame: High-tensile steel, double cradle
Rake / trail: 32 degrees / 7.2 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 41mm hydraulic fork / 5.9 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Dual air-assisted shocks with four-way rebound damping / 3.9 in.
Front tire: 150/80×16
Rear tire: 170/70×16
Brakes, front: Dual 300mm hydraulic discs
Brakes, rear: 300mm disc
Overall length: 99.0 in.
Overall width: 40.9 in.
Overall height: 59.3 in.
Seat height: 28.3 in.
Dry weight: 772 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 5.3 gal.
Wheelbase: 66.5 in.
Colors: Metallic Diablo Black
Two-Tone: Metallic Ocean Blue / Neutron Silver
Two-Tone: Candy Fire Red / Metallic Diablo Black
MSRP standard / two-tone: $12,999 / $13,199
Warranty: 24 Months
SPECIFICATIONS Canada – 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000:
Specifications and features are subject to change