2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD
Back to 2009 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD
Affordable cruiser styling, outstanding small displacement efficiency
The ranks of first-time motorcycle buyers are swelling just as fast as the price of gas. The Vulcan® 500 LTD is Kawasaki’s answer to motorcyclists yearning to ride into the cruiser lifestyle. A low seat height, friendly power delivery and affordable purchase price make it an excellent entry level motorcycle and an easy platform on which to develop those all-important riding skills.
However, the Vulcan 500 LTD isn’t just limited to beginners. More experienced riders will appreciate its ample power and comfortable accommodations, while the Vulcan 500 LTD’s practicality, efficiency and reliability as a transportation source are sure to be appealing to riders of all calibers.
A healthy dose of sportbike genes in the Ninja® 500R-based parallel twin-cylinder engine gives the Vulcan 500 LTD serious cruiser muscle to outperform its rivals. The powerplant provides a smooth, predictable torque delivery that’s ideal for boulevard cruising, yet it still has plenty of gusto for strong acceleration at highway speeds.
However, there’s more to the 500 LTD than its excellent engine. An equally user-friendly chassis with a long and low, matte black steel frame really puts it into the great category. A stepped seat, bobbed rear fender, tank-mounted speedometer and chrome-plated wire-spoke wheels give it the classic cruiser looks sure to please the custom style crowd. The rider calming low, 28-inch seat height rounds out the Vulcan 500 LTD’s rider friendly chassis.
Admire it as is, or select additional enhancements to add your own touch from any of Kawasaki’s accessory line — available through Kawasaki dealers.
Twin-cylinder 498cc Engine
– Compact parallel-twin design based on the NINJA® 500R sportbike engine
– Special cam profiles and ample flywheel weight boost low-end torque
– Keeps operating temperatures consistent, resulting in longer engine life
– Allows tighter engine clearances for quieter running and more power
– Radiator hides between the frame downtubes
Four Valves per Cylinder
– Better flow for more power at high rpm
– Compact combustion chamber for less detonation with today’s gasoline
– Augments low-end torque
Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner
– Maintains precise timing without maintenance
– Cam chain runs quietly, reliably
– Reduces engine vibration for a super-smooth ride
– Allows engine’s full potential to be utilized
Positive Neutral Finder
– When stopped, just lift the shift pedal from first gear to easily find neutral
32mm CVK Semi-Flat Slide Carburetors
– Quick throttle response
– Precise fuel metering provides uniform power delivery at all engine speeds
– Designed to boost low and mid-range power
– Tuned pipes enhance low-speed pulling power
Single Disc Front Brake
– Single piston pin-slide caliper produces quick, sure stops
Tank-Mounted Speedometer with Turn Signal Indicators and Caution Lamps
– Gives needed information at a glance
– Compact design complements the bike’s clean look
– Laid-back riding comfort for two
Chrome-Plated Wire Spoke Wheels
– Narrow 100/90-19 front tire and beefy 140/90-15 rear tire fits the LTD’s traditional cruiser styling
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD – USA Specifications
Engine: Four-stroke, DOHC, eight-valve parallel twin
Bore x stroke: 74.0 x 58.0mm
Compression ratio: 10.2:1
Carburetion: Keihin CVK32 x 2
Ignition: Digital TCBI
Final drive: O-Ring chain
Frame: Double-cradle, steel
Rake / trail: 33 degrees / 5.9 in.
Suspension, front / wheel travel: 41mm hydraulic fork / 5.9 in.
Suspension, rear / wheel travel: Dual hydraulic shocks with five-way adjustable spring preload / 3.9 in.
Front tire: 100/90×19
Rear tire: 140/90×15
Brakes, front: Hydraulic disc
Brakes, rear: Mechanical drum
Overall length: 91.3 in.
Overall width: 32.7 in.
Overall height: 44.3 in
Ground clearance: 4.7 in.
Seat height: 28.1 in.
Curb weight: 471.9 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 4.0 gal.
Wheelbase: 62.8 in.
Color: Metallic Imperial Red
Warranty: 12 Months
Wholesale Distributor: Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
9950 Jeronimo Road
Irvine, California 92618
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD – Canada Specifications
Type 4-stroke, parallel twin
Displacement 498 cc
Bore and Stroke 74.0 x 58.0 mm
Compression Ratio 10.2:1
Valve System DOHC, 4 valves/cylinder
Carburetion CVK 32 mm x 2 (Keihin)
Ignition Digital, with anti hotwire circuit
Lubrication Forced lubrication, wet sump
Transmission 6-speed, return, positive neutral finder
Final Drive Sealed O-ring Chain
Primary Reduction Ratio 2.652 (61/23)
Gear Ratios: 1st 2.571 (36/154)
2nd 1.722 (31/18)
3rd 1.333 (28/21)
4th 1.125 (27/24)
5th 0.961 (25/26)
6th 0.851 (23/27)
Final Reduction Ratio 2.652 (42/16)
Clutch Wet multi-disc, cable operation
Type Tubular, double cradle, high tensile steel
Wheel Travel: Front 150 mm
Wheel Travel: Rear 100 mm
Tires: Front 10/90-19 (57S)
Tires: Rear 140/90-15 (70S)
Caster (Rake) 33°
Trail 151 mm
Front 41 mm telescopic fork
Rear Dual coil-over shock absorbers with stepped spring preload adjustability
Front Single, semi-floating drilled disc
Front Calipers Single-piston, pin-slide mount
Rear Single drum
Overall Length 2320 mm
Overall Width 830 mm
Overall Height 1125 mm
Wheelbase 1595 mm
Seat Height 715 mm
Dry Weight 199 kg
Fuel Capacity 15 litres
Maximum Power 46 PS @8,000 rpm
Maximum Torque 45 N-m @ 6,000 rpm
Colour Metallic Imperial Red
Warranty 12 months
Good Times Protection Plan 24 or 36 months (Kawasaki GTPP coverage begins after the standard limited warranty expires)
*Prices and specifications subject to change without notice.