Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2011 Kawasaki KLX 140
2011 Kawasaki KLX 140
Small-bike friendliness, big-bike capability
There’s nothing like an off road motorcycle that does many things well, especially one that fits a wide variety of riders and skill-sets. And with its mid-sized stature, flexible engine and easy-to-ride nature, Kawasaki’s 2011 KLX™140 is one such multi-talented machine. Smaller riders will love the KLX’s physical size – a touch larger than a typical minibike – and push-button starting, while those a bit taller will appreciate the larger-wheeled KLX140L, which features a 19” front and 16” rear wheel in place of the standard KLX’s 17” front and 14” rear wheels. Both 140s are friendly to beginners and novices, yet both offer a roomy cockpit and enough performance and handling prowess to keep more advanced riders smiling.
Start-ups are simple: just press the power switch and thumb the KLX’s start button and you’re off and running. Because dead batteries are a drag, the power switch contains an internal LED that illuminates, alerting riders whenever the ignition is on. Power from the KLX’s air-cooled SOHC 144cc engine is plentiful yet easy to manage via the manual clutch and five-speed, close-ratio transmission. The clutch design promotes an easy learning curve via its spring damper system; the design provides progressive, two-stage engagement and easy half-clutch use during slower speed riding, the perfect thing for those just leaning the machinations of manual shifting. Additional benefits of this system are a more direct lever feel and increased clutch durability.
The KLX’s high-revving, smooth and surprisingly quiet engine is wrapped in a high-tensile steel perimeter frame covered by KX™-like shrouds, a two-tone seat cover and sharp, aggressive body work. The 140’s roomy cockpit, overall control layout and narrow footpeg/frame relationship – including wide and comfortable footpegs – make it easy for riders to move around while aboard with a minimum of effort.
A 33mm telescopic fork featuring custom-tuned spring rate and damping settings handles suspension duties up front. In back, a UNI-TRAK® linkage equipped rear shock featuring 5-way preload adjustability provides a smooth and controlled ride. To provide even greater options for growing riders, the KLX140L’s more advanced, reservoir-equipped shock easily fits the standard KLX140.
RK EXCEL aluminum rims and advanced braking components are another sign this is a serious off-road motorcycle. A large 220mm front disc and 27mm twin-piston caliper at the front and 186mm rear disc provide serious stopping power. Both utilize petal shaped rotors, which help clean the brakes and reduce unsprung weight for better wheel control.
Bottom line? The KLX140 delivers an ideal blend of size and performance, all of which equals Big Fun for kids and adults alike.
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
Kawasaki KLX 140 model Highlights
Details & Features
144cc Air-cooled, Single-cylinder Engine
– Reliable and easy to use lightweight engine is simple to operate and maintain
– Engine revs easily and allows riders to use the engine’s full rpm range up to the rev limiter at 10,500 rpm
– Exhaust pipe is curved to achieve optimum length for good power characteristics
– Quiet muffler is equipped with a USFS-approved spark arrester, meaning the KLX140 can access designated public off-road riding areas
– Oil-moistened air filter is washable, reusable, easily accessed and highly effective in dusty situations
– Keyless electric starting via handlebar-mounted button
– Orange LED light activates when the power button is depressed, indicating that power is “ON” to help prevent accidental battery drain
– Digital CDI ignition helps ensure quick, reliable starts
– Oval piston-valve Keihin PB20 carburetor features several Kawasaki-original modifications to provide stable fuel delivery under rough off-road conditions
– Partitions in the float chamber keep the fuel from sloshing excessively, while an umbrella around the main jet traps fuel when jumping
– Dual air vents help provide a stable fuel supply and eliminate hesitation even when the bike is at extreme lean angles
– Needle valve is suspended on a spring, which acts like a shock absorber
– Float material is rubber instead of plastic
– Close gear ratios help the acceleration performance of the KLX
– Shift lever features a ball bearing design for easy shifting like KX™ models, and has a folding tip for reduced crash damage
Progressive Manual Clutch
– Manual clutch offers young riders the chance to master clutch engagement and gear shifting
– Spring damper in the clutch provides a two-stage engagement that permits half-clutch use when riding at extremely low rpm or idling speeds, and helps provide better clutch feel and durability
Box-section Perimeter Frame
– Ready for the off-road abuse, the highly rigid, KX-inspired high-tensile steel perimeter frame uses the same upper tubes as the high-performance KLX250S
– Aluminum swingarm is lightweight, strong and features a hairline finish just like the KX machines
– KX-style chain adjusters allow precise chain adjustment
– 33mm telescopic fork has spring rates and damping settings specific to each model
– KLX140 rear shock features 5-way preload adjustability
– More advanced KLX140L rear shock and reservoir can be mounted on the KLX140 for faster riders
Petal Disc Brakes Front & Rear
– Front 220mm petal disc and large-bore 27mm twin-piston caliper (same size as those on the KX450F/250F) offer strong and easy-to-control braking
– Rear brake uses a 186mm petal disc gripped by a 27mm single-piston caliper
– Rear brake master cylinder features a large-volume, unitized reservoir that contributes to stable braking and helps ensure sufficient fluid pressure, even when the brake pad wears down
– The wave shape of the petal discs help clean the brake pads for more efficient braking performance and reduce unsprung weight
– Strong, high-grade die-cast hubs offer the same durability as those on the KX models
– Durable, lightweight RK EXCEL aluminum rims are featured on the KLX’s 17/14-inch front/rear wheels
– Flat-shaped box-section of frame, long footpegs mounted close to the bikes’ centerline and no kick-start lever combine to offer riders a good grip on the bike and thusly a higher level of machine control
– Footpeg/frame relationship is modeled after the KX models for maximum leg grip
– Handlebar is rubber-mounted to reduce vibration transferred to the rider’s hands
– Two-piece upper triple clamp and handle clamp allow easy aftermarket handlebar installation
– Raised pattern on half of the handgrip surface improves rider grip and comfort
– Two-tone seat cover has a slip-resistant top surface for improved grip and smooth sides for excellent rider mobility when standing
Sharp, Aggressive Bodywork
– Box-section perimeter frame features advanced styling similar to that of the KX racers
– Two-piece shrouds with ventilation holes inspired by the top-of-the-line KX race machines
– Fuel tank cover provides a smooth transition from tank to shroud, and contributes to the high level fit and finish
– Eye-catching box muffler design protrudes as little as possible from behind the side cover and features a plastic muffler end-cap that offers a surface that’s cooler to the touch than steel
Kawasaki KLX 140 model Highlights
Fun is maximised because with the KLX it is so easy to just get on and go. The air-cooled single-cylinder engine offers a simple, easy-to-use, highly reliable power plant. And with electric start, access to fun is a quick push of the button away.
144 cc air-cooled single-cylinder engine offers a lightweight power plant that is both simple (to operate and to maintain) and reliable.
Bore and stroke of 58.0 x 54.4 mm yield a displacement of 144 cc.
The engine revs easily and riders will soon find themselves wanting to use the full range of the engine. A rev limiter at 10,500 rpm ensures a smooth decrease in power in the over-run, contributing to high level of control at high rpm.
Based on the oval piston valve Keihin PB20, the carburettor features many Kawasaki-original modifications to ensure stable fuel delivery even under hard KX-style riding.
Partitions in the float chamber ensure fuel stays centred (sloshing is minimised) under hard riding and an umbrella around the main jet traps fuel when jumping – both modifications to ensure constant fuel supply.
Dual float bowl air vents (instead of single) ensure stable air supply even when the bike is leaned at extreme angles to either side.
The needle valve features a spring which acts like a shock absorber.
The float itself is made of rubber instead of plastic.
Close-ratio transmission contributes to the acceleration performance of the KLX.
Like our KX racers, the gear change position lever features a ball bearing to facilitate easy shifting.
Shift change lever with folding tip resists being damaged in the event of a crash.
While delivering a pleasant exhaust note, the quiet-running muffler makes it easy to use the KLX for long periods of time.
Muffler comes equipped with a spark arrester, meaning the KLX140/L can access designated off-road public riding areas.
Exhaust pipe is curved to achieve optimum length for good power characteristics
Plastic muffler end-cap offers a surface cooler to the touch than steel.
Oil-moistened KX-style air-cleaner element is highly effective in dusty situations. The washable element is reusable.
Starting is via a (keyless) electric starter button just in front of the upper triple clamp.
Starter button features an orange LED light activated when the button is depressed, indicating that the power is “ON.”
Digital CDI ignition ensures quick, reliable starting.
Progressive manual clutch offers young riders the chance to master full control of gear shifting.
The clutch features a spring damper resulting in a progressive, 2-stage clutch engagement that facilitates half-clutch use when riding at extremely low rpm or idling speeds (while receiving coaching on the fly). Additional benefits are direct clutch feel and high durability.
Serious about making the KLX140 and KLX140L the ultimate playbikes for youth riders, Kawasaki put together a special development team: youth test riders were joined by pro MX riders and Kawasaki’s top KX engineers. Giving these playbikes the same thorough attention to detail given our KX racers resulted in their high level of off-road performance. In act, many of their parts came directly from KX machines.
KX-based perimeter frame made of high-tensile steel contributes to the high off-road riding potential of the KLX140/L. In fact, the frame uses the same upper tubes as those on the KLX250.
Complementing the highly rigid frame, sturdy suspension front and rear contribute to the KLXs’ high level of off-road fun.
Sturdy 33 mm telescopic front fork has spring rates and damping settings specific to each model.
The handlebar is rubber-mounted for reduced vibration transferred to the rider’s hands.
Grips are the same as those on our top-class MX racers. Raised pattern on half of the surface makes them easier to grip.
The KLX140 rear shock features 5-way preload adjustability.
To allow for its higher average speed, the KLX140L features a rear shock with piggyback reservoir. Both the shock body and reservoir are aluminium. The shock has fully adjustable preload, 4-way compression damping and 22-way rebound dampingTo allow for its higher average speed, the KLX140L features a rear shock with piggyback reservoir. Both the shock body and reservoir are aluminium. The shock has fully adjustable preload, 4-way compression damping and 22-way rebound damping.
Aluminum swingarm offers both light weight and strength. Like those on our KX machines, it features a hairline finish.
KX racing-type chain adjusters allow precise adjustment of chain slack, helping to minimize drivetrain power transfer loss.
KX-style wheels with strong, high-grade die-cast hubs offer the same durability as those found on our KX racers.
Like our KX motocrossers, the KLX140/L feature lightweight RK EXCEL aluminum rims.
While most “playbikes” feature a disc/drum combination, the KLX140/L have disc brakes front and rear for a high level of braking performance.
The 220 mm front petal disc and twin-piston calliper offer strong, easy-to-control braking.
Front brake master cylinder is the same as used on the KLX250.
The 220 mm front disc and large-bore twin-piston caliper offer strong, easy-to-control braking. At 27 mm, the caliper pistons are the same size as those on the KX450F/250F. Front brake master cylinder is the same as used on the KLX250. Petal disc brakes front & rearThe 220 mm front disc and large-bore twin-piston caliper offer strong, easy-to-control braking. At 27 mm, the caliper pistons are the same size as those on the KX450F/250F. Front brake master cylinder is the same as used on the KLX250. Petal disc brakes front & rear.
The rear wheel is slowed by a 186 mm petal disc gripped by single-piston caliper.
The rear brake master cylinder features a large, unitised reservoir that contributes to stable braking performance.
Differences: KLX140 vs KLX140L
IDEAL SIZE FOR YOUTHS
Designing the KLX140 and KLX140L from the ground up has enabled Kawasaki to offer two models that are ideal in size and weight for their target riders: youths.
KLX140 and KLX140L offer two sizes from which youths can choose. Larger than kid’s bikes, and smaller and lighter than “full-size” playbikes, these KLX’sL are a perfect fit for youths.
The largest difference between the two KLX youth models is their wheel size.
KLX140: F=17” R=14”
KLX140L: F=19” R=16”
Seat heights are also a nice compromise between kid’s bikes and full-size machines.
KLX140: 785 mm
KLX140L: 810 mm
Weighing 84 and 85 kg (respectively), the KLX140 and KLX140L are easy for youths to handle.
The KLX140 is recommended for youths up to 160 cm tall and 55 kg in weight; the KLX140L is recommended for youths up to 170 cm tall and weighing more than 55 kg.
2011 Kawasaki KLX 140 – USA Specifications
MSRP: $2,899 USD
Four-stroke, SOHC, two-valve single
Bore x Stroke: 58.0 x 54.4mm
Cooling System: Air
Carburetion: Keihin PB20
Compression ratio: 9.5: 1
Transmission: Five-speed with wet multi-disc manual clutch
Final drive: Chain
Frame Type: High-Tensile steel, box-section perimeter
Rake/Trail: 27 degrees / 3.3 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 33mm telescopic fork / 7.1 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAK® linkage system and single shock with 5-way preload adjustability / 7.1 in.
Front Tire Size: 70/100-17
Rear Tire Size: 90/100-14
Front brakes / rear brakes: Single 220mm petal disc with a dual-piston caliper / Single 186mm petal disc with single-piston caliper
Overall length: 71.7 in.
Overall width: 31.1 in.
Overall height: 41.3 in.
Wheelbase: 49.6 in.
Ground clearance: 9.3 in.
Seat height: 30.7 in.
Curb weight: 205.0 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 1.5 gal.
Color Choices: Lime Green
Warranty: 6 months base warranty
2011 Kawasaki KLX 140 – Canada Specifications
MSRP: $TBD CDN
Type 4-stroke, Single
Displacement 144 cc
Bore and Stroke 58.0 x 54.4 mm
Compression Ratio 9.5:1
Valve System SOHC, 2 valves, screw type adjusters
Carburetion Keihin PB20
Ignition Digital DC-CDI
Lubrication Forced lubrication, wet sump
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual, cable operation
Transmission 5-speed, return
Primary Drive Gear
Final Drive Chain
Primary Reduction Rati 2.880 (72/25)
Gear Ratios: 1st 2.666 (40/15)
2nd 1.894 (36/19)
3rd 1.473 (28/19)
4th 1.181 (26/22)
5th 1.000 (24/24)
Final Reduction Ratio 3.571 (50/14)
Type Perimeter, box section, high-tensile steel
Wheel Travel: Front 180 mm
Wheel Travel: Rear 180 mm
Tires: Front 70/100-17
Tires: Rear 90/100-14
Caster (Rake) 27°
Trail 85 mm
Front 33 mm conventional fork
Rear Uni-Trak with 5-way adjustable spring preload
BRAKESRear: Type 186 mm petal disc
Front: Type 220 mm petal disc
Overall Length 1821 mm (71.7 in.)
Overall Width 790 mm (31.1 in.)
Overall Height 1049 mm (41.3 in.)
Wheelbase 1260 mm (49.6 in.)
Seat Height 780 mm (30.7 in.)
Ground Clearance 235 mm (9.3 in.)
Curb Mass 93 kg (205 lbs.)
Fuel Capacity 5.8 litres (1.3 gal.)
Colour Lime Green
Warranty 6 months
ADDITIONAL COST OPTIONS
Good Times Protection Plan 24 or 36 months (Kawasaki GTPP coverage begins after the standard limited warranty expires)
* The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price does not include freight, pre-delivery inspection or applicable taxes. The final price is at the discretion of the dealer. Prices and Specifications are subject to change without prior notice.
The specifications mentioned here apply to and have been achieved by production models under standard operating conditions. We intend only to give a fair description of the vehicle and its performance capabilities but these specifications may not apply to every machine supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice. Equipment illustrated and specifications may vary to meet individual markets. Available colours may vary by market.