2009 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4X4
Back to 2009 Kawasaki ATV Quad Models Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2009 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4X4
2009 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4X4
With selectable 4-wheel drive, Hi-Lo range transfer case, limited slip front differential and electric power steering, the MULE 4010 4×4 is suited for any application or challenge. Fuel injection is standard on all models now, along with big-truck styling that reflects the powerful nature of the MULE utility lineup.
Upgraded with Digital Fuel Injection, Electric Power Steering and Bold New Styling
When a four-wheel-drive vehicle is a must for hauling gear around farms, fields or to remote locations, the new Kawasaki Mule™ 4010 4×4 is the off-road utility vehicle of choice, thanks to its full-size chassis and a powerful engine now equipped with digital fuel injection (DFI). Besides the new DFI system, the Mule 4010 4×4 also features a new electric power steering (EPS) system, selectable four-wheel drive, a fully-automatic transmission, locking rear differential and a tilting cargo bed.
The new 2009 Mule 4010 4×4 is powered by a liquid-cooled 617cc four-stroke V-twin. Managed by a digital Electronic Control Unit (ECU), its new DFI system compensates for variations in atmospheric pressure, engine and air temperature. This helps make engine starting smoother and more consistent, gives better throttle response and its improved fuel metering helps reduce fuel consumption. The system incorporates an automatic fast idle speed control which activates when the engine is cold, eliminating the need for a manual choke. The system also regulates maximum engine speed, eliminating the need for a mechanical governor.
The powerful 617cc V-twin engine is mated to a continuously variable transmission (CVT) that features both high and low range plus reverse. Power is transmitted through a dependable, low-maintenance shaft drive system, to a dual-mode rear differential that can be locked to maximize traction, or unlocked to improve handling and minimize ground disturbance when making tight turns. Mule 4010 drivers can also engage four-wheel drive for extra traction in difficult conditions.
The low effort rack-and-pinion steering on the Mule 4010 4×4 is made even easier with a new electric power steering (EPS) system. EPS reduces turning effort by up to 30 percent, especially at low speeds in four-wheel drive, using input from vehicle speed and torque sensors to determine how much assistance is needed from the system’s electric motor. With the forward/reverse, high/low-range gear lever and the four-wheel drive selector within easy reach on the dash, drivers can focus more attention on negotiating rough or fragile terrain. The coolant temperature warning light is easy to see, and a push-button control activates the headlights. Other standard features include an hour meter, a horn and an air restrictor gauge to indicate when the air filter needs to be cleaned or replaced. The fuse box and oil dipstick are equally convenient, located underneath the seat for quick access.
The rugged styling of the new bodywork on the Mule 4010 4×4 is much like the modern pickup trucks often working in conjunction with this versatile utility vehicle. The panels continue to be the durable, color-molded plastic that helps hide scuffing. Its front hood can be lifted with the pull of a dash-mounted knob and allows access to a now deeper storage space, which has convenient D-rings to help secure cargo. Additionally, two lever latches make opening and closing the tailgate easy. The roomy cab on the Mule is surrounded by the large-diameter steel tube frame structure that meets federal Roll Over Protective Structure (ROPS) requirements.
Convenience features on the new Mule 4010 4×4 aren’t just limited to easy-access latches or controls; they also extend to owner-friendly features like the winch-ready tabs located under the front grille, which greatly-simplify the winch mounting process.
The Mule 4010 4×4 chassis includes a ladder-type frame riding on a DeDion type rear leaf-spring suspension, which is designed to carry heavy loads yet provide a smooth ride when the cargo bed is empty. MacPherson struts handle front suspension duties and provide a good balance of comfort and load capacity. Effective stopping power is provided by four hydraulically operated, self-adjusting, sealed drum brakes that are designed to resist contamination from water, mud and other debris. Large 23-inch low-pressure tires provide a comfortable ride, great traction and help minimize impact over a variety of terrain.
The Mule 4010 4×4 utility vehicle can carry 800 pounds in its steel cargo bed and is capable of towing up to 1,200 pounds with an optional draw bar. Other popular accessories include an enclosed cab, cab heater, snow plow, and soft or hard tops. These and many other Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
Features and Benefits:
At a glance…
– Digital Fuel Injection
– New electric power steering system (EPS)
– All-New Bodywork
– New Dashboard
– Four-wheel drive
Liquid Cooled, V-Twin Engine
– Four-stroke, 617cc V-Twin industrial engine produces exceptional torque at low engine speeds
– Modern four-stroke design with overhead valves for efficient running and good fuel economy
– Large capacity radiator and fan maintain consistent engine temperatures, even in hot climates
– Rubber engine mounts minimize vibration, noise and wear to maximize operation comfort and diminish fatigue
Digital Fuel Injection
– Computer controlled fuel injection system automatically compensates for atmospheric pressure, air and engine temperature, for easy, prompt engine starting under a variety of conditions
– Automatic fast idle speed control eliminates the need for a choke, allowing the operator to drive off immediately after a cold engine start
– Throttle bodies feature sub-throttle valves for optimum performance and drivability. The sub throttles are located behind the main throttle valves and controlled by the ECU for smooth throttle response
– Automatic digital ignition system helps ensure smooth efficient operation
– Maximum engine speed is controlled by the ECU, eliminating the need for a mechanical governor
– Offers easy engine operation and reduced maintenance requirements
Cab Frame Air Intake
– Draws engine air and converter cooling air from the top of the cab frame where there’s less dust, so the air filter stays cleaner longer
Environmentally Friendly Emissions
– DFI precision reduces fuel consumption and cuts exhaust emissions
– Positive crankcase ventilation system sends blow-by gasses to the intake tract to be burned in the engine
– Muffler features a U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor
Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System (KAPS)
– Fully automatic continuously variable transmission (CVT) features forward high and low and reverse, and helps keep the engine in the right operating rpm for a variety of vehicle speeds, loads, or terrain
– The CVT has a wide spread of drive ratios for quick acceleration and ample pulling power
– An open sided drive pulley cools better for longer belt life
– Offers adjustable belt deflection
New Electric Power Steering (EPS)
– The EPS system reduces steering effort, especially at low speeds when turning effort is greatest
– Input from a vehicle speed and torque sensors determine the amount of steering assistance required from the system’s electric motor
– To keep from draining the battery, the EPS only operates when the engine is running
– When engine is stopped, more force is needed to turn the steering wheel even if the ignition is switched on
4-Wheel Drive with 2-Speed Transfer Case
– Selectable four-wheel drive gives the operator traction options
– Shift to four-wheel drive and low range for maximum traction in adverse conditions or select two-wheel drive and high range to cut gear wear and increase fuel economy
Dual Mode Differential
– Dual-mode rear differential can be “locked” for extra pulling power and maximum traction or unlocked when traveling across delicate terrain
Independent Strut-Type Front Suspension
– MacPherson strut long-travel front suspension provide a comfortable ride and excellent load-carrying capability
– Stiffer springs prevent bottoming and increase ground clearance
DeDion Rear Suspension
– Overload-style leaf springs can handle heavy loads, yet provide a smooth ride when the cargo box is empty
– Semi-independent action
4-Wheel, Self-Adjusting Sealed Hydraulic Drum Brakes
– Four wheel brakes are self-adjusting and feature extra sealing for protection against mud, dust and debris
– The brake drums have an added flange and seal to keep out mud and water
– Low maintenance and powerful
Wheels and Tires
– 23-inch tires with stiff sidewalls for an improved the ride and added ground clearance
– The rear wheel bearings use two rollers in one large bearing for added durability
– The wheel bearings seals on all four wheels have 3 lips for better protection
– New body is a rugged, modern truck look style
– Now has dual glove boxes and cupholders for both the driver and passenger
Front Hood with Storage Tub
– Large under hood storage tub holds cargo out of site
– Offers quick, easy access with a push-button latch
– Includes four D-rings for securing loads
Tilting Cargo Bed
– Steel cargo bed can carry up to 800 pounds and tilts for quick unloading
– Thick tailgate panel and secure latching tailgate locking pins reduces vibration and noise, and adds durability
Rugged and Capable
– Can tow up to 1,200 lbs with optional Kawasaki Accessory draw bar
– Meets federal Roll Over Protective Structure (ROPS) requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.4, and 7.5, and also meets FMVSS 216 roof crush resistance requirement
– Bench seat can carry up to three
– Durable chassis includes winch-ready mounts to simplify winch installation
– The oil dipstick and filler tube are accessed under the seat
– Cyclone-type engine air cleaner has meter to indicate when to replace the filter
– An automotive-style fuse box is convenient and uses blade-type fuses
– A horn and 12V DC outlet with 10 amp capacity
– The 2WD / 4WD lever is mounted on the dash for easy access
– Relocated parking brake and coolant temperature warning lights are easy to see
– Shift lever with Y-gate pattern eliminates need for Hi-Lo switch lever
– Push-button headlight switch activates 35-watt cat-eye headlights
– Standard equipment hour meter
Popular Accessory Items
– Soft or Hard Top
– Enclosed Cab
– Cab Heater
– Snow Plow
2009 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4X4 – USA Specifications
American MSRP: $9,499
Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, overhead valve V-twin
Bore x stroke: 76 x 68mm
Compression ratio: 10.3:1
Carburetor: Digital Fuel Injection
Air filter: Snorkel-type with cyclone-type two-stage dry replaceable element
Oil filter: Automotive-type spin-on canister
Ignition: Digital electronic
Electrical: 12V DC, 18 amp-hour battery, alternator
Transmission: Continuously variable transmission (CVT) with high and low range, forward, and reverse, 2WD/4WD
Final drive: Shaft, selectable four-wheel drive with dual-model differential
Exhaust: Muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor
Tires: 23×11-10 tubeless
Front suspension / wheel travel: Independent, MacPherson strut / 3.9 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Semi-independent, De Dion axle with leaf springs and shocks / 2.8 in.
Steering: Electric power assisted rack-and-pinion
Brakes: Four-wheel hydraulic drums, sealed
Fuel capacity: 6.2 gal.
Curb weight: 1,406 lb.
Overall length: 118.3 in.
Overall height: 75.8 in.
Overall width: 62.0 in.
Wheelbase: 73.6 in.
Ground clearance: 6.9 in.
Roll over protective structure (ROPS): This structure meets ROPS requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, and 7.5. This structure also meets FMVSS 216 Roof Crush resistance requirement
Cargo bed dimensions (LxWxH): 46.3 x 51.6 x 11.3 /15.6 cu. Ft.
Load capacity: 1,330 lbs.
Cargo bed capacity: 800 lbs.
Towing capacity: 1,200 lbs.
Turning radius: 11.2 ft.
Top speed: 25 mph, governed
Lights: (2) 30-watt sealed-beam headlights, (2) 5/21-watt taillight/stoplight
Instruments: Parking brake warning light, coolant temperature warning light, horn, 12V DC outlet, speedometer
Color choices: Woodsman Green, Dark Royal Red
2009 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4X4 – Canada Specifications
Canadian MSRP $11, 799
Type 4-Stroke, Fuel Injected V-Twin, Liquid-Cooled, OHV
Bore and Stroke 76.0 x 68.0 mm
Compression Ratio 10.3:1
Lubrication Forced Lubrication, Wet Sump
Transmission Automatic, Forward (Hi/Lo) and reverse
Primary Drive Belt Converter
Final Drive Gear (Selectable 2WD/4WD), Dual Mode Differential
Primary Reduction Ratio 3.9~0.85 (Belt Converter)
Final Reduction Ratio 5.4 (81/15)
Type Ladder Type, Tubular Steel
Front Suspension Independent, MacPherson Strut
Rear Suspension Semi-Independent, De Dion Axle
Front Wheel Travel 100 mm
Rear Wheel Travel 70 mm
Front Tire 23 x 11.00-10 T/L
Rear Tire 23 x 11.00-10 T/L
Front Hydraulic Drums
Rear Hydraulic Drums
Parking Mechanical Drum
Overall Length 3, 005 mm
Overall Width 1, 575 mm
Overall Height 1, 925 mm
Wheelbase 1, 870 mm
Ground Clearance 175 mm
Seat Height 865 mm
Bed Length x Width x Height 1, 175 x 1, 310 x 288 mm
Curb Weight 638 kg
Fuel Tank Capacity 23.5 L.
Maximum Torque 47.0 N – m@ 2,500 RPM
Top Speed 38 km/h (Governed)
Maximum Permissible Load 603 kg
Cargo Bed Load Capacity 363.6 kg
Seating Capacity 2
Maximum Power 14.7 kW @ 3, 600 RPM
Minimum Turning Radius 3.4 m
Colours Woodsman Green, Dark Royal Red
Warranty 12 months
Good Times Protection Plan 12 or 24 months
The specifications mentioned here apply to and have been achieved by production models under standard operating conditions. We intend only to give a fair description of the vehicle and its performance capabilities but these specifications may not apply to every machine supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice. Equipment illustrated and specifications may vary to meet individual markets. Available colours may vary by market. Note: Specifications and pricing are subject to change.