2009 Kawasaki Mule 4010 Trans4x4 Diesel
Back to 2009 Kawasaki ATV Quad Models Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2009 Kawasaki Mule 4010 Trans4x4 Diesel
2009 Kawasaki Mule 4010 Trans4x4 Diesel
The Mule 4010 Trans 4X4 Diesel combines all the power and torque of a 953cc diesel engine with Kawasaki’s innovative 2/4 passenger transformable chassis.
The original transforming utility vehicle takes on a truck-like visual appeal
Kawasaki has raised the styling bar for 2009, offering a modern, rugged, truck-like body style for its versatile Mule™ 4010 Trans4x4® Diesel that quickly transforms from a four-person 4×4 to a two-person unit with an extended cargo bed. This new look complements popular changes made the prior model year, which saw the company add electric power steering (EPS) finesse to the extra grunt and convenience of this off-road utility vehicle.
The new bodywork draws comparison to the styling of many modern pick-up trucks that are often seen working alongside the Mule. Its panels are durable, color-molded plastic that helps hide scuffing and its rugged-looking front hood can be lifted with the pull of a dash-mounted knob to reveal a now deeper storage space. This compartment also has convenient D-rings to secure cargo.
The EPS offers a more controlled ride by reducing steering effort at low speeds and harnessing the electric motor’s inertia to dampen much of the bump steer and kickback caused by impacts to the wheel. Electrically driven, the motor is controlled by an Electronic Control Unit (ECU) that uses input from a vehicle speed sensor and torque sensor to determine the amount of assistance provided by the system. The system works immediately after the engine is started, yet doesn’t create a power drain on the engine.
This off-road work horse features a fully automatic transmission with two or four-wheel drive options, and takes only a moment to convert from a two to a four-person ride. While the cargo payload expands from 400 to 1,100 pounds in the two-person configuration, users have the ability to select between cargo and personnel carrying needs, depending on the specific job-at-hand.
This versatility, coupled with the stalwart Kawasaki liquid-cooled, three cylinder diesel engine makes the Mule 4010 Trans4x4 Diesel an immediate winner. Its overhead valve design maximizes efficiency while the cast iron block and head ensure extra durability in all types of usage. Producing 38.3 lb.-ft. of torque @ 2,800 rpm, this 953cc engine has low-end pulling power to spare for the most rigorous of needs.
The diesel engine is matched to the Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System (KAPS). It’s a continuously variable transmission (CVT) that features a high and low range, reverse, and helps keep engine rpm in the most efficient range for any vehicle speed, load, or terrain. It yields a wide drive ratio spread for ample pulling power and quick acceleration. Large torque converters maximize belt engagement area and improve heat dissipation, boost strength and durability, and are aided by the use of a thick, strong drive belt and sheaves with high silicon-type material.
Tuned specifically to accommodate higher payloads, the KAPS also features a high-flow cover that helps cool the CVT while providing superb splash protection and water-proofing. This reliable system uses a dependable, low-maintenance shaft drive to transmit power to a dual-mode rear differential that can be locked to maximize traction, or unlocked to minimize ground disturbance when making tight turns. The operator can also select four-wheel drive for extra pulling power in difficult conditions.
Wear is further reduced by cooling the torque converter with filtered air, courtesy of a special air cleaner that uses an easily replaceable filter element and an efficient intake cooling fan to draw sufficient air into the CVT.
The engine air cleaner is a cyclone-type Donaldson unit with a replaceable paper element. This efficient design needs less frequent cleaning, even with repeated use in extremely dusty off-road conditions. The Mule is equipped with a gauge indicating when the filter should be changed.
Helping the filter stay clean and last longer—especially in the rugged conditions for which this Kawasaki was built—the engine air and converter cooling air are drawn from the top of the cab frame, where there’s less dust.
Among this Mule’s many attributes are a dual-mode differential, limited slip front differential, two-speed transfer case for the four-wheel drive, independent MacPherson strut front suspension, DeDion rear suspension, and four-wheel, self-adjusting sealed hydraulic drum brakes.
Additional driver/passenger comfort is derived from the 23-inch tires with stiff sidewalls that improve off-road function and add ground clearance. The rear wheel bearings use two rollers in one large bearing for more durability.
The Mule 4010 Trans4x4 Diesel is equipped with several simple, dash-mounted controls that include the shift mechanism, digital hour meter, horn, speedometer, a 12-volt, 10-amp DC outlet and a pushbutton switch for the 35-watt, cat-eye headlights. A parking brake and coolant temperature warning light in plain view, and dual sealed glove boxes round out the operator-friendly cockpit of the Mule. The extendable cab is surrounded by the large-diameter steel tube frame structure that meets federal Roll Over Protective Structure (ROPS) requirements.
Convenience features on the new Mule 4010 Trans4x4 Diesel aren’t just limited to easy-access latches or controls; they also extend to owner-friendly features like the winch-ready tabs located under the front grille, which greatly-simplify the winch mounting process. The Trans4x4 Diesel can also tow up to 1,200 pounds with an optional Kawasaki draw bar. To keep from draining the battery, the EPS only operates when the engine is running. Other popular accessories include an enclosed cab, cab heater, snow plow, and soft or hard tops. These and many other Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
Features and Benefits:
At a glance…
– All-New Styling
– Electric power steering system (EPS)
– Diesel Performance and Economy
– Two or four seats with revolutionary transformable design
– Fully Automatic Transmission with Selectable 2- or 4-Wheel Drive
Four-Passenger, Off-Road, Four-Wheel Drive Utility Vehicle with Transformable Cargo Bed
– Two rows of seats easily accommodate up to four persons
– Rear seat can be folded down and the cargo bed expanded to carry larger payload (1,100 lbs. with two passengers, 400 lbs. with four passengers)
– Retractable lap-belts
– Liquid-cooled, three-cylinder diesel engine produces incredible torque: 38.3 lb-ft @ 2,800 rpm and exceptional fuel economy
– Perfect for commercial job sites where diesel fuel is readily available
– Exhaust pipe routing allows easy hydraulic lift kit installation
– Overhead valve design maximizes efficiency
– Cast iron block and head ensure extreme durability
Environmentally Friendly Emissions
– Positive crankcase ventilation system sends blow-by gasses to the intake tract to be burned in the engine
– Muffler has a U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor
Cyclone-Type Engine Air Cleaner
– Cyclone design is effective and needs less frequent cleaning even in extremely dusty conditions
– Restriction gauge tells when to change the filter
– Donaldson® air cleaner has a replaceable paper element
Cab Frame Air Intake
– Draws engine air and converter cooling air from the top of the cab frame where there’s less dust, so the air filters last longer
Heavy-Duty Battery and Alternator
– 52 amp-hour battery ensures positive starts while the high-output, 40 amp alternator keeps the battery charged
Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System (KAPS)
– Fully automatic continuously variable transmission (CVT) features forward high and low and reverse, and helps keep the engine in the right operating rpm for a variety of vehicle speeds, loads, or terrain
– The CVT has a wide spread of drive ratios for quick acceleration and ample pulling power
– Tuned to accommodate higher loads
– Large drive and driven torque converters maximize engagement area of the thick and strong drive belt for improved heat dissipation and add durability
– High-flow cover helps cool the CVT while providing superb splash protection and water proofing
– Sheaves with high silicon type material for increased durability
– An open sided drive pulley cools better for longer belt life
– Offers adjustable belt deflection
Torque Converter Air Filter
– Efficient intake cooling fan draws plenty of air into the CVT
– Special air cleaner with easily replaceable filter element cuts torque converter wear by cooling it with filtered air
– Strong bevel gear set and rear axle for increased durability
– Locked mode for maximum traction, unlocked mode to minimize ground disturbance
Limited-Slip Front Differential
– Allows great traction with little steering effort
Four-Wheel Drive with Two-Speed Transfer Case
– Selectable four-wheel drive gives the operator traction options
– Shift to four-wheel drive and low range for maximum traction in adverse conditions or select two-wheel drive and high range to cut gear wear and increase fuel economy
Electric Power Steering (EPS)
– The EPS system reduces steering effort, especially at low speeds when turning effort is greatest
– The electric motor’s inertia significantly reduces bump steer and kickback to the steering wheel caused by shocks to the wheels for a more comfortable and controlled ride
– Input from vehicle speed and torque sensors determine the amount of steering assistance required from the system’s motor
– No power steering pump, so there is no power loss from the engine
– EPS only operates when the engine is running to keep from draining the battery
Independent Strut-Type Front Suspension
– Stiffer springs prevent bottoming and increase ground clearance
– Comfortable ride and excellent load-carrying capability
DeDion Rear Suspension
– Overload-style leaf springs allow a good unladen ride and is durable under maximum loads
– Semi-independent action
Four-Wheel, Self-Adjusting Sealed Hydraulic Drum Brakes
– The brake drums have an added flange and seal to keep out mud and water
– Low maintenance and powerful
– Keep productivity up and operating costs down
Wheels and Tires
– The 23-inch tires have stiff sidewalls to improve the ride and add ground clearance
– The rear wheel bearings use two rollers in one large bearing for added durability
– The seals on all four wheels have three lips to better protect the wheel bearings
– Hood, fenders, front guard, lights, cab frame and cargo bed have modern pick-up truck styling for sharp appearance
– Dashboard comes with speedometer, hourmeter, fuel gauge and oil pressure warning light standard
– Large storage tub under the hood with four D-rings to secure the load
– Bodywork resists dents; color is molded in
Tilting Cargo Bed
– Steel cargo bed can carry up to 1,100 pounds and tilts for quick unloading
– Thick tailgate panel and secure latching tailgate locking pins reduces vibration and noise, and adds durability
Rugged and Capable
– Can tow up to 1,200 lbs with optional Kawasaki draw bar
– Meets federal Roll Over Protective Structure (ROPS) requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.4, and 7.5, and also meets FMVSS 216 roof crush resistance requirement
– Durable chassis includes winch-ready mounts to simplify winch installation
– An automatic-style fuse box is convenient and uses blade-type fuses
– Crankcase oil level dipstick under the seat
– Automotive-type, spin-on oil filter
– Coolant, battery electrolyte level sight gauges
– 12V DC outlet with 10 amp capacity
– The 2WD / 4WD lever is mounted on the dash for easier access
– Relocated parking brake and coolant temperature warning lights are easy to see
– Shift lever with Y-gate pattern eliminates need for Hi-Lo switch lever
– Push-button headlight switch activates 35-watt cat-eye headlights
– Hour meter and a horn are standard equipment
Popular Accessory Items
– Soft or Hard Top
– Enclosed Cab
– Cab Heater
– Snow Plow
2009 Kawasaki Mule 4010 Trans4x4 Diesel – USA Specifications
American MSRP: $11,599
Engine: Four-stroke, three-cylinder, liquid-cooled, OHV, diesel
Bore x stroke: 72.0 x 78.0mm
Compression ratio: 24.8:1
Air filter: Snorkel-type with cyclone-type two-stage dry replaceable element
Oil filter: Automotive-type spin-on canister
Ignition: Compression with glow plugs for starting
Electrical: 12V DC, 52 amp-hour battery, 40 amp alternator
Transmission: Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System (KAPS), with reverse, dual range, 2WD/4WD
Final drive: Shaft, selectable four-wheel drive with dual-mode rear differential
Exhaust: Muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor
Tires: Tubeless 23 x 11-10
Suspension, front: Independent, MacPherson strut / 3.9 in.
Suspension, rear: Semi-independent, DeDion axle with leaf springs and shocks / 2.8 in.
Steering: Electric power steering assisted rack-and-pinion
Brakes: Four-wheel hydraulic drums, sealed
Fuel capacity: 6.4 gal.
Curb weight: 1737 lbs.
Overall length: 130.1 in.
Overall width: 58.5 in.
Overall height: 75.81 in.
Wheelbase: 85.2 in.
Ground clearance: 7.0 in.
Roll over protective structure (ROPS): This structure meets ROPS requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, and 7.5. This structure also meets FMVSS 216 Roof Crush resistance requirement
Cargo bed dimensions (LxWxH): 50.4 x 47.7 x 11.3 in. (2-person)
30.3 x 47.7 x 11.3 in. (4-person)
Load capacity: 1,632 lbs.
Cargo bed capacity: 400 lbs. (4-person mode) / 1,100 lbs. (2-person mode)
Towing capacity: 1,200 lbs.
Turning radius: 12.5 ft.
Top speed: 25 mph, governed
Lights: (2) 35-watt sealed-beam headlight, (2) 5/21-watt taillight/brakelight
Instruments: Parking brake warning light, coolant temperature warning light, horn, 12V DC outlet, speedometer
Color choices: Woodsman Green, Dark Royal Red
2009 Kawasaki Mule 4010 Trans4x4 Diesel – Canada Specifications
Canadian MSRP $13,999
Type 4-Stroke, 3-Cylinder, Liquid-Cooled, OHV, Diesel
Displacement 953 cc
Bore and Stroke 72.0 x 78.0 mm
Compression Ratio 24.8:1
Lubrication Forced Lubrication, Wet Sump
Transmission Automatic, Forward (Hi/Lo) and Reverse
Primary Drive Belt Converter
Final Drive Gear (selectable 2WD/4WD), Dual-Mode Differential
Primary Reduction Ratio 3.7~0.98 (belt converter)
Final Reduction Ratio 5.429 (76/14)
Type Ladder Type, Tubular Steel
Front Suspension Independent, MacPherson strut
Rear Suspension DeDion Axle, Leaf Springs, Shocks
Front Wheel Travel 100 mm
Rear Wheel Travel 70 mm
Front Tire 23 x 11.00-10 T/L
Rear Tire 23 x 11.00-10 T/L
Front Hydraulic Drums
Rear Hydraulic Drums
Parking Mechanical Drum
Overall Length 3, 305 mm
Overall Width 1, 486 mm
Overall Height 1, 925 mm
Wheelbase 2165 mm
Ground Clearance 180 mm
Seat Height 855 mm (Front), 880 mm (Rear)
Curb Weight 788 kg.
Fuel Capacity 24.2 L
Bed Length x Width x Height 2-Passenger Mode 1280 x 1212 x 287 mm (2-Passenger)
Bed Length x Width x Height 4-Passenger Mode 770 x 1212 x 287 mm (4-Passenger)
Maximum Power 17.7 kW @ 3,600 RPM
Maximum Torque 52.0 N – m @ 2,800 RPM
Turning Radius 3.9 m
Top Speed (Governed) 40 km/h (Governed)
Bed Load Capacity 2-Person Mode 499 kg
Bed Load Capacity 4-Person Mode 318 kg
Seating Capacity 2 or 4
Maximum Permissible Load 740 kg (Trailer + Cargo)
Colours Woodsman Green, Dark Royal Red
Warranty 12 months
Good Times Protection Plan 12 or 24 months
The specifications mentioned here apply to and have been achieved by production models under standard operating conditions. We intend only to give a fair description of the vehicle and its performance capabilities but these specifications may not apply to every machine supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice. Equipment illustrated and specifications may vary to meet individual markets. Available colours may vary by market. Note: Specifications and pricing are subject to change.