2012 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4×4 IRS
Back to 2012 Yamaha ATV Quad Models Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2012 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4×4 IRS
2012 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4×4 IRS Review
Here’s mud in your eye…
The Big Bear 400 tackles tough terrain with the help of a 5 speed manual transmission, IRS, On Command 4WD and more.
Featuring a sealed wet brake for incredible durability and reliability in even the sloppiest conditions, the legendary 2012 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4×4 IRS features mid-size chassis, torquey powerful engine, 5 speed automatic clutch gearbox with reverse, independent rear suspension, on command 2WD / 4WD and so much more.
2012 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4×4 IRS Highlights:
Key selling points:
Potent, 386cc air/oil-cooled, SOHC four-stroke single
delivers reliable, class-leading low-end
and midrange power to tackle the hardest chores
and toughest trails.
Independent rear suspension offers maximum
ground clearance, excellent
terrainability, and all-day comfort.
Class-exclusive, three-position On-Command®
In/Out 4WD feature lets you switch between 2WD,
limited-slip 4WD and fully locked differential
4WD-all with the simple push of a button.
Constant-mesh five-speed transmission with
automatic clutch, reverse and super-low
stump-pulling first gear means this is one
Sealed wet brake out back provides
long-lasting, consistent stopping power in
even the harshest conditions.
Full floorboards and high ground clearance
keep the rider high and as dry as possible.
Pushbutton electric starting in any gear is backed
up by an auxiliary recoil starter.
Huge 25×8-12 front and 25×10-12 rear ITP® Mud Lite
tires further boost ground clearance while providing
great handling and traction.
2012 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4×4 IRS Key Features:
– Simple yet powerful 386cc air/oil-cooled, SOHC engine
inhales through a heated, semi-oval slide 33mm BSR Mikuni®
carburetor for seamless throttle response and excellent
– DC-CDI ignition system ensures dependable starting and puts out
consistent spark at all rpm for optimal engine performance.
– Large-capacity oil cooler with cooling fan helps maximize engine
efficiency, even under heavy loads.
– Stainless steel muffler and header provide superior power
characteristics, exhaust sound and unmatched durability.
– Tool-free, easy-access air filter box.
– Automatic cam chain tensioner reduces engine maintenance
and helps extend engine life.
– Special compact frame design uses fewer components to reduce
weight and provide lighter steering, a tighter turning radius, and
– Class-leading turning radius provides maximum maneuverability
on tight trails and while working with heavy equipment.
– Independent double-wishbone front suspension with five-way
preload-adjustable shocks and 5.8 inches of travel.
– Independent rear suspension with five-way preload adjustment
and 7.6 inches of travel provides excellent handling and all
– On-Command drive selection with Diff. Lock lets you access full
power from 4WD locked.
– Low seat height for great handling.
– Plenty of ground clearance and a high mount air intake makes
this machine ready for muddy conditions.
– Large-diameter ventilated hydraulic front disc brakes and a
sealed rear wet brake provide plenty of stopping power in a
variety of conditions.
– Reliable, low-maintenance front and rear shaft drive.
– Specially designed A-arms with removable ball joints provide
smooth operation and outstanding reliability.
– Built-in winch mounts.
– Wrinkle-finish cargo racks are super-durable and can pack a
class-leading total of 264 pounds (88 front, 176 rear) of payload.
– Speedometer with odometer/tripmeter adds greater versatility
and allows rider to keep track of engine maintenance intervals.
– Standard center-mounted trailer hitch can hook up more than
1100 pounds of payload.
– Full floorboards, lots of ground clearance, and a high-mount air
intake are ready for mud.
– Flat-style handlebars help provide light steering effort and great
– Large front and rear fenders with inner splash guards offer
excellent mud and splash protection.
– Water-resistant, large-capacity underseat storage box provides
– Heavy-duty, full-coverage A-arm and CV joint boot protectors
help prevent damage to boot covers.
– Specially designed, thickly padded seat is widely contoured for
incomparable rider comfort.
– Large-capacity, 4-gallon fuel tank has a built-in gauge.
– Mud and water-resistant automotive-type DC power outlet
powers a wide range of accessories.
– Rugged, serrated footrests provide excellent grip and rider
comfort with superb durability.
– Maintenance-free 18-amp-hour battery provides extra
– Underseat marine-spec electrical components ensure maximum
protection from the elements and easy access.
– Bright multireflector 30-watt headlights feature wide positioning
to maximize low-light and nighttime visibility.
– Easy-to-use, handlebar-mounted parking brake and choke lever.
– Assembled in Newnan, GA, U.S.A.
Please refer to the 2011 Spring Big Book
* Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all
fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank of fuel.
It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight
is useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
ATVs with engine sizes over 90cc are recommended for use only by riders age
16 years and older.
2012 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4×4 IRS – USA Specifications
US MSRP* $6,599 (Hunter Green) Available from June, 2011
$6,599 (Steel Blue) Available from June, 2011
$6,949 (Realtree® AP™ Camouflage) Available from June, 2011
Type 386cc, 4-stroke, air-/oil-cooled single; SOHC
Bore x Stroke 83.0mm x 71.5mm
Compression Ratio 8.6:1
Fuel Delivery Mikuni® 33mm BSR
Starting System Electric w/auxiliary pull
Transmission 5-speed w/reverse; automatic clutch; front- and rear-wheel engine braking
Drive Train Yamaha On-Command® pushbutton; 3-way locking differential; 2WD, 4WD, locked 4WD; shaft drive
Suspension / Front Independent double wishbone; 5-way preload adjustment, 5.8-in travel
Suspension / Rear Independent double wishbone; 5-way preload adjustment, 7.6-in travel
Brakes / Front Dual hydraulic discs
Brakes / Rear Sealed oil bathed, multi disc
Tires / Front AT25 x 8-12 ITP® Mud Lite
Tires / Rear AT25 x 10-12 ITP® Mud Lite
L x W x H 79.4 x 43.9 x 46.7 in
Seat Height 35.2 in
Wheelbase 48.4 in
Turning Radius 126 in
Ground Clearance 10.5 in
Fuel Capacity 4.0 gal
Wet Weight 628 lb
Rack Capacity 88 lb Fr./176 lb Rr.
Towing Capacity 1102 lb
Instrumentation Speedometer, odometer & fuel gauge
Lighting Dual 30W Krypton multireflector headlights & 21/5W brakelight
Warranty 6 Month (Limited Factory Warranty)
2012 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4×4 IRS – Canadian Specifications
Canadian MSRP* $NA CDN
Model not available in Canada
Specifications, appearance, and price of product are subject to change without notice.
* MSRP does not include freight, PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection), pre-rigging (boats), or taxes. Dealer may sell for less.