2012 Yamaha YZF 450R
Back to 2012 Yamaha ATV Quad Models Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2012 Yamaha YZF 450R
2012 Yamaha YZF 450R Review
The top of the podium awaits…
Race-spec suspension for superior handling. Hard hitting 449cc engine for awesome power output. Add in fuel injection, and Yamaha’s championship legacy keeps you on track.
Engineered from race-inspired DNA, the YFZ450R and its ideal mix of power and handling is a high-performance enthusiast’s dream.
2012 Yamaha YZF 450R Highlights:
Reasons to buy:
The Raptor 90 has the features to deliver more fun
than ever before, with a 88cc SOHC 2-valve engine
tuned to develop excellent low-to-mid rpm range
performance. It also has features surprising in this
class and price range, like a fully automatic CVT
transmission, dual A-arm front suspension, rear disc
brake, low-profile tires, and styling unmistakably
inspired by the mighty Raptor 700R.
Dual A-arm front suspension has 4.4-inches of
travel for sporty-riding comfort, while adding to the
Raptor 90’s big-ATV look. Shocks have 5-way preload
adjustment to accommodate a variety of riders and
terrain. The rear swingarm, also 5-way preload
adjustable, offers 3.3-inches of travel.
For sporty looks and handling, Raptor 90 uses
low-profile Maxxis® tires. For riding comfort,
there are aggressive-looking full floorboards.
For strong, reliable stopping power, there’s a
hydraulic disc brake with a drilled rotor in the back,
and dual sealed drums in the front.
Restricting power output for learning riders is
exceptionally convenient; there’s a simple plug-in
for the CDI unit.
Available in an exclusive White
version with two graphics choices young
riders will love.
2012 Yamaha YZF 450R Key Features:
– The prestigious “ATV of the Year” Award from ATV Sport Magazine. “Best in Class” from ATV/SxS Illustrated. Winner of shootout after shootout. The YFZ450R took ’em all – in its first model year, right out of the starting gate. This is one amazing ATV!
– In ATV motocross, great power output doesn’t mean much without superior handling. YFZ450R delivers! The stance of the YFZ450R is motocross ready. The weldless frame is designed from lightweight aluminum, with a tension-steel bottom frame that lets the engine sit lower for excellent mass centralization. Suspension components have more travel, carefully chosen for best performance, and the front shock bodies feature Kashima coating for even smoother operation.
– Fatigue can sometimes be a racer’s worst competition. That’s why the YFZ450R’s designers made this ATV so comfortable. It boasts racer friendly ergonomics with plenty of room to hang off in the corners, and the seat is padded just right to be more comfortable regardless of riding position. Handlebars are 4-position adjustable, too, so every rider can choose the best position, and the throttle has been designed for all day comfort.
– This 449cc engine uses titanium five-valve cylinder head technology, with a camshaft designed just for this machine to deliver abundant low to midrange torque for performance where you can really use it to take the lead – while still maintaining a super strong top end to let you pull away from the pack.
– The YFZ450R incorporates Yamaha Fuel Injection for precise fuel delivery. With big 42mm Mikuni® throttle body and 12-hole injector, this system provides exceptional atomization of the fuel for maximum power. The system also includes ISC (Idle Speed Control) for easy, reliable start-up and warming.
– This ATV is designed to make race prep easy. Body panels come off easily for service; there’s no need to remove the battery or other components to get the fenders off. The aluminum frame is bolted together, rather than welded, for maximum durability. And the oil tank is integrated with the crankcase so it’s easier to service the engine.
– The fuel-injected 449cc engine has superb power characteristics. Power delivery is smooth and strong off the line with lots of low and mid range where you need it.
– The crankcase holds a crankshaft that’s ready to handle the increased balance ratio, as well as a counterbalancer for superior vibration control. The crankcase also houses the oil tank, which helps to centralize mass for unmatched handling and makes maintenance easier.
– Camshafts are designed to maximize the torque available in the low and mid ranges.
– Fuel injection uses a 12-hole injector that provides exceptional atomization of the fuel for maximum combustion efficiency and power delivery. The system also uses a big, 42mm Mikuni® throttle body and includes ISC (Idle Speed Control) for easy, reliable start-up and warming.
– The chassis is very spacious, allowing room for even an aggressive racer to move around during the moto, and the ATV’s body panels that the rider contacts during operation are of a softer plastic material for greater comfort. The seat is narrow in the front, yet wide and padded in the rear to provide a more comfortable ride, even when hanging off on the side of the seat in a turn.
– The wheel has been designed with the inner lip rolled in. This increases the rigidity, allowing a reduction in weight while maintaining strength.
– Wheels are set motocross-spec wide, near the maximum allowable 50 inches, for great cornering ability. The Dunlop® tires are grippy with a great pattern for cornering, and at 20 inches in the rear and 21 inches in the front, provide much better ground clearance than the competition. That makes the YFZ450R fun to ride off-road, too.
– ProTaper® handlebars are mounted on 4-way clamps for exceptional adjustability. There are two sets of holes in the handlebar crown, and eccentric clamps so the rider can choose the standard setting, 10mm or 20mm forward, or 10mm back.
– Foot pegs are a generous 2.6 inches wide, something riders will appreciate every time they want to get up on the pegs, with good kick-up on the ends for solid footing.
– The frame is aluminum for lightweight, except for the frame member under the engine. Here tensioned steel is used for its combination of strength and thinness. This allowed the designers to sit the engine lower overall for excellent mass centralization for unmatched handling. The aluminum frame is bolted together, rather than welded, for maximum durability.
– The front frame is noticeably narrow at the A-arm mounting points. This dramatically reduces changes in camber as the long A-arms travel through their full range of motion. The front 44mm KYB® shocks have Kashima coating for smooth operation with superb bump absorption and excellent anti-bottoming characteristics. The 9.8 inches of wheel travel means this racer is up to even the most challenging tracks.
– The rear swingarm is crafted of strong, gravity-fed aluminum, and it’s matched to a fully adjustable 46mm KYB® piggyback shock absorber for excellent handling. Rear wheel travel is 11.0 inches for comfort even on tough terrain.
– For excellent stopping ability, YFZ450R features dual front hydraulic disc brakes and a trick looking, lightweight wave-type rear rotor.
– The throttle lever requires low effort, and it’s very comfortable to use. That means less fatigue during all-day riding.
– The instrumentation is all business. The discrete panel on the fender in front of the rider gives vital indicators about low fuel, coolant temperature, check engine, and neutral gear via a straightforward LED display.
2012 Yamaha YZF 450R – USA Specifications
US MSRP* $8,599 (Team Yamaha Blue/White) Available from July, 2011
$8,599 (White w/Custom Graphic*) Available from July, 2011
Type 449cc, 4-Stroke Single, Liquid Cooled w/Fan, Titanium 5-Valve DOHC
Bore x Stroke 95mm x 63.4mm
Compression Ratio 11.6:1
Fuel Delivery Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI) , 42mm
Ignition Digital TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Starting System Electric
Transmission 5-Speed Manual Clutch
Drive Train 2WD; Sealed O-Ring Chain, Eccentric Adjustment
Suspension / Front Independent double wishbone, w/Kashima coated piggy back shocks, High/Low speed compression, rebound and threaded preload adjustment, 9.8-in travel
Suspension / Rear Cast aluminum swingarm w/piggyback High/Low speed compression, rebound and threaded preload adjustment, 11.0-in travel
Brakes / Front Dual ventilated hydraulic disc, twin piston
Brakes / Rear Wave-style ventilated hydraulic disc, twin piston
Tires / Front AT21x7-10 Radial
Tires / Rear AT20x10-9 Radial
L x W x H 70.7 x 48.8 x 41.9 in
Seat Height 31.9 in
Wheelbase 50.0 in
Ground Clearance 4.5 in
Fuel Capacity 2.6 gal
Wet Weight 403 lb
Lighting Dual 30W Krypton multireflector Headlights and 3.9/0.5W LED Brake light
Warranty 6 Month (Limited Factory Warranty)
2012 Yamaha YZF 450R – Canadian Specifications
Canadian MSRP* $NA
Model not available in Canada
Specifications, appearance, and price of product are subject to change without notice.
* MSRP does not include freight, PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection), pre-rigging (boats), or taxes. Dealer may sell for less.