Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2012 Kawasaki KX100
2012 Kawasaki KX100 Review
Following the adage to use the right tool for the job, the KX™100 is the perfect instrument to help competitive riders step up their game – and begin to transition into the big leagues of 250cc full-sized Lites competition. The KX100 helps bridge that huge gap between classes, providing growing adolescent riders with a machine that accommodates both their growing skill base and their size, allowing them to concentrate on honing their capabilities rather than controlling excessive power.
Bridging the Gap to the Big Time
Everybody knows it’s important to use the right tool for the job, which makes the KX™100 the perfect instrument to help competitive riders step up their game – and begin their transition into full-sized Lites competition. The KX100 helps bridge the gap between classes, providing growing adolescent riders with a machine that accommodates both their growing skill base and their physical size, allowing them to concentrate on honing their capabilities rather than controlling excessive power.
The KX100’s 99cc liquid-cooled two-stroke engine offers both more power and a broader spread of it than the KX85. The 28mm Keihin carburetor and carbon-fiber reed valve assembly help provide a crisp throttle response while the Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System (KIPS®) helps produce a powerband with good low-end torque and a strong top-end rush. The power then passes onto a smooth-shifting six-speed transmission, giving the KX a gear for every situation on the race track.
The engine is bolted to a black high-tensile steel perimeter frame with a specially designed fuel tank located inside the frame to lower the fuel load and center of gravity for optimal handling. Adjustable long-travel suspension at both ends helps smooth even the roughest motocross circuits. The 36mm inverted cartridge fork has compression damping adjustment capability, while the UNI-TRAK® rear suspension system comes equipped with a shock that’s fully adjustable for spring preload, compression and rebound damping. In the braking department, both front and rear discs are mounted with shoulder bolts for easier maintenance.
The KX100 also features aggressive Kawasaki graphics to match its black frame and wheels, just like its larger KX siblings.
Those who race their KX100 at designated events are eligible to receive support from Team Green™, Kawasaki’s amateur racing support program. Each year, Team Green provides regional support vehicles and highly trained technicians at more than 100 events, offering technical information and assistance to those who race Kawasaki products. Kawasaki also offers a comprehensive contingency program for amateur and professional riders who place well at designated events.
2012 Kawasaki KX100 Features and Benefits
At A Glance…
– 99cc two-stroke engine is liquid cooled to help assure even running temperatures, consistent power output and greater reliability
– Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System varies exhaust port height, helping to produce a broad powerband with more low-end torque while retaining excellent top-end power
– Six-speed transmission offers positive shifting action and rugged durability; hard chrome-finished shift forks resist wear and seizure
– Clutch has 119mm-diameter plates for durability and control
– Swingarm uses large cross-section beams for more rigidity
– Uni-Trak® rear suspension features a shock with adjustable compression, rebound damping and spring preload, while the 36mm inverted cartridge fork has 18-way adjustable compression damping
– Industry-leading amateur racer support through Team Green™
Liquid-cooled, 99cc, Two-stroke Engine
– Utilizes a separate clutch cover on the engine’s right side for quick servicing without removing the water pump cover
– Liquid-cooling assures even-running temperatures, consistent power output and greater reliability
– Bridges between intake and exhaust ports are machine-finished for increased durability
– Rotor utilizes rare-earth magnets – the unitized piece is small, light and more efficient; low inertial moment improves low-rpm response
– Connecting rod big-end bearing has a more rigid cage for improved durability
– Intake port shape and cylinder skirt allow cooling air into the crankcase chamber
– Primary gear is secured using a lock-nut to help reduce mechanical noise
– Metafoam gaskets for the generator and water pump covers improve sealing
Kawasaki Integrated Power Valve System (KIPS®)
– KIPS system varies exhaust port height for increased horsepower and torque at all rpm
– Produces a broad powerband with more low-end torque while retaining excellent top-end power
– Breather in KIPS cover improves high-rpm and overrun performance
28mm Keihin Carburetor
– Crescent slide carburetor puts the needle closer to the intake ports for optimum throttle response
– Adjustable for various conditions
– Clutch hub rides on needle bearings for smooth action
– Large clutch plates measure 119mm in diameter for added durability and control
– Clutch-release lever ratio provides light clutch lever action
– Thick clutch basket housing improves durability
– Clutch plate service cover simplifies maintenance and utilizes a metal-carbon composite gasket
– Fifth and sixth gears ride on bushings for added reliability
– Positive shifting action and rugged durability
– Allows the engine’s full potential to be realized
– Oil level window allows easy level check
– Hard chrome-finished shift forks resist wear and seizure
High-tensile Steel Perimeter Frame
– Wide, steel footpegs for better control and added strength
– Thick footpeg brackets withstand today’s rigorous tracks
– Engine and chassis bolts feature rust-resistant coating
– Positioned low in the frame to lower center of gravity and improve handling
UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
– Swingarm uses large cross-section beams for more rigidity and control
– Swingarm incorporates cast-aluminum drive chain adjuster sections for easy chain adjustments
– Flanged collars at the bearings to protect seals from mud
– Fully adjustable shock with compression damping, rebound damping and spring preload adjustability
36mm Inverted Cartridge Fork
– Aluminum upper tubes are 49.5mm in diameter for excellent control and steering response
– Compression damping is 18-way adjustable
– Front brake lever shape offers better feel
– Forged-aluminum rear brake pedal is strong, lightweight and features two seals at the pivot for smooth operation
Lightweight Aluminum Rims
– Rear hub features two wheel bearings on the drive side for durability
– Thick spokes are used in the front and rear for strength, and require less adjustment
– Lightweight aluminum rims
– Aggressive Kawasaki graphics compliment its black frame and wheels, just like the larger KX models
2012 Kawasaki KX100 – USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $4,149.00 USD
Engine Two-stroke single with KIPS®
Bore x Stroke 52.5 x 45.8mm
Cooling System Liquid
Carburetion Keihin PWK28
Induction Two-petal reed valve
Compression ratio 9.6:1 (low speed) – 8.8:1 (high speed)
Ignition Digital CDI
Final drive Chain
Frame Type High-tensile steel perimeter design with subframe member
Rake/Trail 27 degrees / 4.1 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel 36mm inverted telescopic cartridge fork with 18 position compression damping adjustment/ 10.8 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel UNI-TRAK® single shock system with 4 position compression and 20 position rebound damping adjustment plus adjustable spring preload/ 10.8 in.
Front Tire Size 70/100×19
Rear Tire Size 90/100×16
Front brakes / rear brakes Hydraulic disc / Disc
Overall length 75.2 in.
Overall width 28.9 in.
Overall height 43.5 in.
Ground clearance 15.0 in.
Seat height 34.3 in.
Curb weight 156.5 lbs.
Fuel capacity 1.5 gal.
Wheelbase 50.8 in.
Color Choices Lime Green
2012 Kawasaki KX100 – Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: See Canadian Kawasaki Dealer for pricing.
Type 2-stroke, Single with KIPS
Bore and Stroke 52.5 x 45.8 mm
Cooling Liquid, twin radiators
Compression Ratio 9.6 (low speed), 8.8 (high speed)
Induction 2-petal carbon-fibre piston reed valve
Fuel System Keihin PWK28 carburetor
Lubrication Petrol mix (32:1), 2-stroke racing oil
Transmission 6-speed, constant mesh, return shift
Final Drive Chain
Primary Reduction Ratio 3.400 (68/20)
Gear Ratio: 1st 2.538 (33/13)
Gear Ratio: 2nd 1.875 (30/16)
Gear Ratio: 3rd 1.500 (27/18)
Gear Ratio: 4th 1.250 (25/20)
Gear Ratio: 5th 1.090 (24/22)
Gear Ratio: 6th 0.956 (22/23)
Final Reduction Ratio 3.923 (51/13)
Clutch Wet multi-disc
Type Tubular single cradle, high tensile steel perimeter
Wheel Travel: Front 275 mm (10.8 in.)
Tire: Front 70/90-19
Wheel Travel: Rear 275 mm (10.8 in.)
Tire: Rear 90/100-16
Caster (Rake) 27°
Trail 103 mm (4.1 in.)
Steering Angle (Left/Right) 45° / 45°
Suspension, Front 36 mm inverted telescopic cartridge fork with 18-way compression damping
Suspension, Rear Uni-Trak single-shock system with 4-way compression and 16-way rebound damping, plus adjustable spring preload
Front: Type Single 220 mm disc
Front: Caliper Dual-piston caliper
Rear: Type Single 184 mm disc
Rear: Caliper Single-piston caliper
Overall Length 1,910 mm (75.2 in.)
Overall Width 735 mm (28.9 in.)
Overall Height 1,105 mm (43.5 in.)
Wheelbase 1,290 mm (50.8 in.)
Ground Clearance 380 mm (15.0 in.)
Seat Height 870 mm (34.3 in.)
Curb Mass** 71 kg (157 lbs.)
Fuel Capacity 5.5 litres (1.21 gal.)
** Includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90% of capacity) and tool kit (if supplied)
Colour Lime Green
* The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price does not include freight, pre-delivery inspection or applicable taxes. The final price is at the discretion of the dealer. Prices and Specifications are subject to change without prior notice.
The specifications mentioned here apply to and have been achieved by production models under standard operating conditions. We intend only to give a fair description of the vehicle and its performance capabilities but these specifications may not apply to every machine supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice.
Equipment illustrated and specifications may vary to meet individual markets. Available colours may vary by market.