Click photos to enlarge. Our big, clean bike pics make great desktop wallpaper.
2013 Kawasaki KX85 Review
2013 Kawasaki KX85
The Serious Path to Motocross Glory
When the time comes for every budding motocross racer to decide that being a winner is why he or she races, then the next step is obvious. Throwing a leg over the KX™ 85 not only carries Kawasaki’s motocross heritage with it, but speaks volumes about how serious the racer is about taking the checkered flag.
The KX85 is powered by a two-stroke, 84cc engine that puts out eye-popping power. Among its race-proven features are an advanced chassis package with a 36mm cartridge fork that has 18-way compression damping adjustability and settings designed to tame the nastiest, most challenging tracks. The Uni-Trak® shock in back features fully adjustable spring preload, compression and rebound damping for superior rear wheel control.
Surrounding all that suspension goodness is a black-painted, high-tensile steel perimeter frame with a specially designed fuel tank sitting inside the cage to keep the fuel load and, thusly, the center of mass as low as possible for improved handling. All this is wrapped in lime green body panels, with lightweight black aluminum wheels and aggressive graphics. The result is a factory-look racer with factory-like performance.
The engine bay features some factory-like tricks of its own, including an electrofusion-coated cylinder with a narrow squish band, a large-volume combustion chamber to boost top-end power, and a 28mm Keihin carburetor featuring a crescent-shaped slide that positions the needle closer to the intake ports, optimizing fuel atomization and delivering smoother fuel delivery throughout the powerband. Further enhancing the KX85’s tractable power are the Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System (KIPS®) and tuned exhaust pipe that provides better drive out of corners and a linear power delivery for young riders of varying skill levels.
The KX85’s six-speed transmission delivers smooth and positive shifting along with enhanced durability thanks to hard chrome-finished shift fork ends, a thick base on the clutch basket housing and an additional bushing on the input shaft.
Those who race their KX85 at designated events are eligible to receive support from Team Green™, Kawasaki’s amateur racing support program. For over 30 years, Team Green has provided regional support vehicles and highly trained technicians at more than 100 events per year throughout the United States, offering technical information and assistance to those who race Kawasaki products. Kawasaki also offers a comprehensive contingency program for amateur and professional riders who place well at designated events.
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
2013 Kawasaki KX85 Features and Benefits
At A Glance…
• Liquid-cooled, two-stroke, 84cc engine features a lightweight Electrofusion-coated cylinder that improves heat transfer while resisting abrasion and seizure
• Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System varies exhaust port height for increased horsepower and produces a powerband with more low-end torque and mid-range, while retaining excellent top-end power
• Uni-Trak® rear suspension is fully adjustable for compression and rebound damping and spring preload
• Rigid 36mm inverted cartridge forks are 18-way adjustable and provide better steering response and control
• 28mm Keihin PWK carburetor is tuned for ideal fuel atomization, providing quicker throttle response and a smoother power delivery
• Six-speed transmission has chrome-finished shift fork ends to resist wear and seizing while bushings on the second, third and fourth gears on the output shaft increase durability
• Industry-leading amateur racer support through Team Green™
Liquid-cooled, Two-stroke, Single-cylinder 84cc Engine
• Lightweight Electrofusion-coated cylinder improves heat transfer while resisting abrasion and seizure
• Intake and exhaust port bridges are machine-finished for reduced wear and improved reliability
• Liquid cooling means even-running temperatures and consistent power output
• Rotor comes with rare-earth magnets; the unitized piece is small, light and more efficient; low inertial moment improves low-rpm response
• Connecting rod big-end bearing has more rigid cage for improved durability
• Intake port shape and cylinder skirt allow cooling air into the crankcase chamber
• Primary gear is secured using a lock-nut to help reduce mechanical noise
• Metafoam gaskets for the generator and water pump covers improve sealing
Kawasaki Integrated Power Valve System (KIPS®)
• KIPS system varies exhaust-port height for increased horsepower and torque at all rpm
• Produces a broad powerband with more low-end torque and mid-range, while retaining excellent top-end power
• Breather in KIPS cover improves high-rpm and overrun performance
• Large right-side cutout improves airflow for increased power
• Reusable foam air filter
28mm Keihin PWK Carburetor
• Large crescent slide positions the needle closer to intake ports for ideal fuel atomization, providing quicker throttle response and a smoother power delivery
• Carburetor adjustable for various conditions
• Features large-diameter O-ring and groove on exhaust pipe for improved durability and easy installation
• Aluminum silencer is re-packable like larger KX models
• Thick-base clutch hub rides on needle bearings for smooth action
• Large, 119mm clutch plates add durability and control
• Clutch-release lever ratio is designed for light clutch lever action
• Clutch plate service cover simplifies maintenance and utilizes a metal-carbon composite gasket
• Positive shifting action and rugged durability
• Fifth and sixth gears ride on bushings for added reliability
• Shift forks are hard chrome-finished to resist wear and seizing
• Convenient oil-level window offers easy level checks
• Bushings on the second, third and fourth gears increase durability
High-tensile Steel Perimeter Frame
• Wide, steel footpegs offer added control and strength.
• Thick footpeg-mount brackets withstand today’s rigorous tracks
• Engine and chassis bolts feature rust-resistant coating
• Fuel tank design lowers center of gravity for improved handling
Uni-Trak® Rear Suspension
• Swingarm uses large cross-section beams for improved rigidity and control
• Cast-aluminum drive chain adjuster sections allow easy chain adjustments
• Shock is fully adjustable for compression and rebound damping and spring preload
36mm Inverted Cartridge Fork
• Inverted fork is rigid, providing better steering response and control
• Compression damping is 18-way adjustable
• Aluminum upper fork tubes measure 49.5mm in diameter for flex-free performance
• Front brake lever shape offers optimum feel
• Forged-aluminum rear brake pedal is strong, lightweight and features two seals at the pivot for smooth operation and increased durability
• Provide strong braking power with minimal effort
Lightweight Aluminum Rims
• Black-coated lightweight aluminum rims offer a factory look
• Rear hub features two bearings on the drive side for added durability
• Large rear-axle diameter for optimum rigidity
• Aggressive Kawasaki graphics complement the black frame and wheels
• Silver clutch and ignition covers resist the signs of boot rub to help keep the KX looking fresh, longer
2013 Kawasaki KX85 – USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $4,045 USD
Engine Two-stroke single with KIPS®
Bore x Stroke 48.5 x 45.8mm
Cooling System Liquid
Carburetion Keihin PWK28
Induction Crankcase reed valve
Compression ratio 10.0:1 (low speed) – 9.2:1 (high speed)
Ignition Digital CDI
Final drive Chain
Frame Type High-tensile steel perimeter design with subframe member
Rake/Trail 27 degrees / 3.5 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel 36mm inverted telescopic cartridge fork with 18-way compression damping / 10.8 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel Uni-Trak® single-shock system with 4-way compression and 16-way rebound damping, plus adjustable spring preload / 10.8 in.
Front Tire Size 70/100×17
Rear Tire Size 90/100×14
Front brakes / rear brakes Hydraulic disc / Disc
Overall length 71.7 in.
Overall width 28.9 in.
Overall height 41.5 in.
Ground clearance 13.4 in.
Seat height 33.1 in.
Curb weight 152.1 lbs.
Fuel capacity 1.5 gal.
Wheelbase 49.4 in.
Color Choices Lime Green
2013 Kawasaki KX85 – Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: TBA CDN
Type 2-stroke, Single with KIPS
Bore and Stroke 48.5 x 45.8 mm
Compression Ratio 10.0 (low speed), 9.2 (high speed)
Induction 2-petal carbon-fibre piston reed valve
Fuel System Keihin PWK28 carburetor
Lubrication Petrol mix (32:1), 2-stroke racing oil
Transmission 6-speed, constant mesh, return shift
Final Drive Chain
Primary Reduction Ratio 3.400 (68/20)
Gear Ratio: 1st 2.538 (33/13)
Gear Ratio: 2nd 1.875 (30/16)
Gear Ratio: 3rd 1.500 (27/18)
Gear Ratio: 4th 1.250 (25/20)
Gear Ratio: 5th 1.090 (24/22)
Gear Ratio: 6th 0.956 (22/23)
Final Reduction Ratio 3.571 (50/14)
Clutch Wet multi-disc
Type Tubular semi-double cradle, high tensile steel
Wheel Travel: Front 275 mm (10.8 in.)
Tire: Front 70/100-17
Wheel Travel: Rear 275 mm (10.8 in.)
Tire: Rear 90/100-14
Caster (Rake) 27°
Trail 89 mm (3.5 in.)
Steering Angle (Left/Right) 45° / 45°
Suspension, Front 36 mm inverted telescopic cartridge fork with 18-way compression damping
Suspension, Rear Uni-Trak single-shock system with 4-way compression and 16-way rebound damping, plus adjustable spring preload
Front: Type Single 220 mm disc
Front: Caliper Single-piston caliper
Rear: Type Single 184 mm disc
Rear: Caliper Single-piston caliper
Overall Length 1,820 mm (71.7 in.)
Overall Width 735 mm (28.9 in.)
Overall Height 1,055 mm (41.5 in.)
Wheelbase 1,255 mm (49.4 in.)
Ground Clearance 340 mm (13.4 in.)
Seat Height 840 mm (33.1 in.)
Curb Mass** 69 kg (152.1 lbs)
Fuel Capacity 5.5 litres (1.2 gal.)
** Includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90% of capacity) and tool kit (if supplied)
Lime Green KX85ADF TBA
* The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price does not include freight, pre-delivery inspection or applicable taxes. The final price is at the discretion of the dealer. Prices and Specifications are subject to change without prior notice.
The specifications mentioned here apply to and have been achieved by production models under standard operating conditions. We intend only to give a fair description of the vehicle and its performance capabilities but these specifications may not apply to every machine supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice. Equipment illustrated and specifications may vary to meet individual markets. Available colours may vary by market.
2013 Kawasaki KX85 – United Kingdom Specifications/Technical Details
UK MSRP Price: £TBA (Prices are recommended and inclusive of VAT @ 20% and delivery)
2013 Kawasaki KX85 – Australia Specifications/Technical Details
Australia MSRP Price: $TBA AU