Click on photos to enlarge.
It makes a great desktop image.
Honda’s CBR1100XX gobbles up pavement in big chunks thanks to its brawny 1,137 cc DOHC inline-four engine. And reliable? Just ask Peter Hoogeveen, who rode a CBR1100XX to third place in last year’s incredibly gruelling Ironbutt Rally.
But what really sets this GentlemanÃs Express apart is its amazing smoothness and sophisticated feel. Kilometre after long kilometre, the CBR1100XX’s twin gear-driven counterbalancers and comfortable ergonomics make sure that you spend your seat time admiring the scenery, not searching for the next rest stop.
There’s lots to see in this big country. What are you waiting for?
· Lightweight 1137cc liquid-cooled four-cylinder engine with one-piece upper-crankcase/cylinder block.
· Side-mounted cam chain and ultra-narrow cylinder-sleeve spacing reduce engine size and weight.
· Unique gear-driven dual engine-balancer system nearly eliminates high-frequency engine vibration.
· Double overhead camshafts actuate valves using simple and direct cam-over-bucket design.
· Four valves per cylinder with a narrow, 30-degree valve angle for a compact combustion chamber and optimum power output at all rpm levels.
· High-pressure programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) delivers fuel to four injectors, each mounted in a 40mm throttle body, at 50 psi. Fuel is delivered through four nozzle tips in each injector, producing a highly combustible air/fuel charge for maximum combustion efficiency and power.
· Ram-air system produces awesome power in mid- and upper-rpm operating ranges.
· Electronic control unit (ECU) provides two digital 3-D fuel injection maps for each cylinder and one digital 3-D ignition map for cylinder pairs, creating ideal fuel mixture and spark advance settings for superb response.
· Unique knock-control sensor monitors ignition advance and improves mid-range performance.
· Slim-tipped NGK VX spark plugs offer high performance and minimal build-up for consistent operation.
· 360-degree exhaust collector, combined with EFI and ignition settings, provides stunning mid-range power.
· High-performance exhaust system features two 6.4-liter canister-style stainless steel mufflers polished to a satin finish.
· Seven-plate clutch design features tough friction plate material and excellent durability.
· Large-capacity aluminum radiator combines with high-efficiency oil cooler mounted directly beneath the steering head to help maintain optimum performance and long engine life.
· Oil-cooled alternator is powerful and compact.
· Automatic cam-chain tensioner.
· Six-speed close-ratio transmission.
· Twin-spar diamond-configuration aluminum frame offers light weight and high rigidity.
· Triple-box-section extruded aluminum spars are welded to a cast aluminum steering head and gravity-die-cast aluminum pivot plates. The bolt-on seat rail is made of box-section steel.
· Triple-box-section extruded aluminum 40mm x 90mm swingarm offers exceptional rigidity.
· 43mm cartridge fork features the Honda Multi-Action System(tm) (HMAS) for smooth, progressive action. Wide forged aluminum triple-clamp offers light weight and high rigidity.
· Pro-Link rear suspension uses an HMAS rear damper and offers rebound damping and spring preload adjustability for a plush yet well-controlled ride.
· Ultra-wide, hollow-section, triple-spoke cast aluminum wheels carry wide-profile radial tires.
· Honda’s Linked Braking System (LBS) uses a second master cylinder and a proportional control valve to couple the three-piston calipers of the dual-front and single-rear brake discs. Using either the handlebar lever or the foot pedal partially activates all three calipers, and the rider controls brake force distribution between the front and rear wheels depending on which control is used. As the rider increases braking force and weight transfers forward, the proportional control valve progressively shifts the balance of braking force in three steps toward the front wheel. A delay valve smoothes front brake engagement to minimize suspension dive when performing minor speed corrections using only the foot pedal.
· 310mm floating front-brake discs use stainless steel mounting pins. Rear brake disc measures 256mm.
· Tall windscreen design provides additional rider weather protection.
· Instrument display features a large white-on-black-faced analog tachometer with 10,800-rpm redline, a large LCD digital speedometer, and LCD digital readouts for coolant temperature, fuel level, clock, odometer and A/B tripmeter. Indicator/warning lights include turn signals, high-beam, neutral, oil pressure and fuel injection.
· Extensive wind-tunnel testing results in an extraordinarily low overall frontal area and one of the lowest drag coefficients in motorcycling, while maintaining a high level of wind protection and rider comfort. The drag coefficient (cg, a measurement combining drag and frontal area) of 0.00155 surpasses figures for most machines in the 250cc class.
· The fairing features a very sharp nose, made possible by an innovative piggyback headlight design. The separate low- and high-beam units are each lighted by a powerful single-filament bulb, and the units are stacked, one on top of the other. The result is a narrow frontal aspect, with a very bright and extensive light pattern made possible by advanced multi-curvature reflector design.
· The engine air-intake system consists of panels which isolate the system from the heat-producing radiator and engine area. Two large-capacity ram-air ducts feed air to the airbox and deliver it to the PGM-FI system.
· The fairing has been designed to reduce the number of panels. Gas-assist injection technology is used to increase strength and lower weight.
· Specially designed front fender features indented ducts on the top front area, which create a wing-like low-pressure zone on the upper surface. This aids steering and helps counter the wind’s effect on the front wheel.
· Front turn signals utilize a multi-reflector design and are integrated with the rearview mirrors, achieving improved airflow characteristics.
· Large-capacity, 24-litre fuel tank.
· LED fuel gauge in instrument panel.
· Lightweight and strong O-ring-sealed #530 drive chain.
· Underseat storage area designed to carry most U-type or cable locks. (Lock not included.)
· Tie-down bolts are provided at the sides of the seat and at the trailing edges of the passenger-peg mounting stays.
· Left-side seat cowl opening reveals a frame-mounted handle to help lift the machine onto its centerstand.
· Injection-molded nylon rear passenger grabrail is more comfortable to the touch than metal rails in chilly or hot weather.
· Convenient ignition switch/fork lock for added security.
1137cc liquid-cooled, inline four
Bore and Stroke
79mm x 58mm
11 : 1
DOHC, 4 valve, shim under bucket
PGM fuel injection
Close-ratio, six speed
43mm cartridge fork, 120mm travel
Pro-Link single shock with spring preload and damping adjustability, 120mm travel
Dual 310mm floating discs with 3-piston calipers, LBS
Single 256mm disc with 3-piston caliper, LBS
120/70 ZR-17 radial
180/55 ZR-17 radial
1485mm (58.5 in.)
810mm (31.9 in.)
223 kg (492 lb)
24 litres (5.2 imp.gal.)
Specifications are subject to change without notice, in accordance with national regulation and legislations.