Click photo to enlarge.
It makes a great desktop image.
– 2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-7R
You can just call it “Champ.”
What do you call a motorcycle that’s won a huge collection of AMA Superbike championships? That sits on the front row and then wins against larger displacement machines? “Champ” will do. Or, more formally, it’s the Ninja® ZX-7R. This In-Line Four boasts a short-stroke and 12,500-rpm redline that delivers huge mid-range power and a monstrous top-end charge. Technologies such as Twin-Ram Air, wet-liner liquid cooling, and a high-volume aluminum radiator provide maximum power that lasts…and lasts. While the ZX-7R’s laser-like handling comes from Kawasaki’s highly evolved pressed-aluminum perimeter frame, fully adjustable 43mm inverted cartridge fork and Bottom-Link UNI-TRAK® rear suspension with a factory-type remote-reservoir shock. So whether you’re headed for the first turn or your favourite twisties, the Ninja ZX-7R is the perfect sporting tool.
Just remember to call it “Champ.”
The Kawasaki NINJA® ZX-7R sportbike’s resume speaks for itself. With nine AMA Superbike Championships and a number of victories with Kawasaki Road Racing’s Eric Bostrom at the helm, the ZX-7R has a history unmatched by any other sportbike. A Rob Muzzy-tuned ZX-7R also carried Kawasaki Drag Racing’s Rickey Gadson to three AMA/Prostar Drag Racing championships.
– Team Kawasaki pro rider Eric Bostrom blasts the competition aboard his Ninja ZX-7R
– Superbike in the highly competitive AMA Chevy Trucks U.S. Superbike Championship.
– The 748cc Ninja ZX-7R includes many high-performance features: An incredibly narrow 20° included valve angle. Wide 4-valve 73mm combustion chamber with an ultra-short 44.7mm stroke for higher rev potential. 11.5:1 high compression cylinders and high-revving 12,500-rpm redline.
– Additional advanced features include: lightweight wet-liner liquid cooling system. Friction reducing direct actuation valve train. Digitally mapped ignition system. And free-breathing 4-into-2-into-1 exhaust system.
– Potent Twin-Ram Air system feeds air through four straight downdraft intake paths into high-volume 38mm CVKD semi-flat slide carburetors.
– The 6-speed transmission features Kawasaki’s exclusive Positive Neutral Finder that makes finding neutral easy. A hydraulically activated clutch allows for smooth shifting action.
– The transmission shaft features involute splines for easy gear selection with reduced backlash.
– Lightweight, yet exceptionally strong and rigid, all-aluminum swingarm and perimeter frame give a planted, yet maneuverable, feel.
– Front brakes consist of exceptionally powerful dual 6-piston Tokico callipers and huge 320mm semi-floating drilled stainless steel rotors. The rear brake features a dual-piston calliper with drilled disc.
– The rear suspension system includes a fade-resistant remote-reservoir piggy-back shock which is fully adjustable for spring preload, compression and rebound damping. Ride height is also adjustable.
– 43mm fully adjustable inverted cartridge fork features 8-way compression, 12-way rebound adjustment plus threaded spring preload.
– Advanced instrumentation includes a tachometer and temperature gauge mounted in a lightweight alloy bracket, plus a range of warning lamps below the speedometer.
– 25° rake with 3.9 inches (99 mm) of trail allow nimble handling while a 56.5-inch (1435 mm) wheelbase gives a planted feel.
– Massive 6-inch wide cast aluminum rear rim and wide footprint 190/50 series Dunlop radial tire for exceptional grip.
Engine type 4-stroke, liquid-cooled In-Line Four
Bore x stroke 73 x 44.7mm
Compression Ratio 11.5:1
Valve system DOHC, 16 valves
Fuel system Keihin CVKD38 x 4
Transmission 6-speed with Positive Neutral Finder
Frame type Perimeter, pressed aluminum
Rake/trail 25°/99 mm (3.9 inches)
Suspension, front 43mm inverted cartridge fork, adjustable preload, 8-way compression and 12-way rebound damping
Suspension, rear Bottom-Link UNI-TRAK® with gas-charged shock, adjustable ride height, spring preload, 20-way compression and 4-way rebound damping
Tires, front, rear Tubeless radial; 120/70-ZR17; 190/50-ZR17
Brakes, front Dual 320mm semi-floating discs with dual 6-piston calipers
Brakes, rear Disc with opposed-piston caliper
Wheelbase 1435 mm (56.5 inches)
Seat height 790 mm (31.1 inches)
Fuel capacity 18 litres (4 gallons)
Dry weight 203 kg (448 pounds)
Colours Lime Green or Pearl Blazing Orange
GTPP available 24 or 36 months
Specifications are subject to change without notice, in accordance with national regulation and legislations.