Click photo to enlarge.
It makes a great desktop image.
– 2003 Suzuki DR-Z400S
Dualsport DR-Z400S – 2003 DR-Z400SK3
2002 Best Dual Purpose Bike – Cycle World Magazine
BASIC DIFFERENCES FROM DR-Z400E:
– Compact digital instrument cluster with speedometer, odometer, twin-trip meters with addition/subtraction capability, clock, timer and stopwatch functions.
– Smooth throttle response with a Mikuni™ BSR36 CV-type carburetor fed by 6-liter airbox.
– The left side cover has quick-release fasteners for easy access to the air filter.
– Reduced compression ratio (12.2:1 to 11.3:1) for operation with 87-octane fuel.
– On-road legal lighting with bright 60/55 watt halogen headlight, compact tail/stoplight, lightweight, rubber-mounted turn signals and horn.
– Thermostatically-controlled cooling fan mounted to the left radiator helps maintain consistent operating temperature in traffic.
– Dual-sport tires to meet highway use regulations (F: 80/100-21, R: 120/90-18).
CHASSIS FEATURESSHARED WITH DR-Z400E:
– Narrow profile with smooth transitions between the tank, seat and bodywork.
– Chrome-moly steel frame is torsionally strong with minimal weight. The backbone tube, front down tube, and steering head gussets form the dry-sump engine oil tank.
– A bolt-on aluminum subframe helps reduce weight and simplify maintenance.
– Long travel, 49mm cartridge-style forks feature adjustable compression/rebound damping and adjustable spring preload for all types of on/off-road terrain.
– A fully-adjustable rear shock absorber with high/low speed compression damping adjuster and aluminum swingarm for precise rear wheel control.
– Sure stopping power is supplied by a 250mm front disc brake with dual-piston caliper, and a 220mm rear disc brake with a single-piston caliper.
– Chrome-moly steel footpegs, aluminum rims/hubs, plus engine guard and rear disc guard.
ENGINE FEATURES SHARED WITH DR-Z400E:
– 398cc, DOHC, liquid-cooled, dry-sump engine produces strong low-rpm power.
– Electric start with lightweight starter motor and a compact 6.5 amp maintenance-free battery.
– Compact 4-valve cylinder head with 36mm intake valves, 29mm exhaust valves, narrow 28º included valve angle and shim-under-bucket valve adjustment system.
– Automatic decompression system for quick/easy engine starts.
– SCEM-plated cylinder (nickel-silicon-phosphorous) is lighter and more durable than an iron liner with excellent heat transfer properties.
– Forged aluminum piston is 10% lighter than a cast piston and receives additional oil-cooling to the piston crown through a crankcase oil jet.
– Compact 5-speed transmission utilizes a cable-operated clutch with separate outer cover for simplified clutch maintenance.
– Additional weight savings with magnesium valve cover, clutch cover, and magneto cover.
Engine: 398cc, four-stroke, single cylinder, DOHC, 4-valve, liquid cooled. 48 hp (35 kW)/ 9,000 rpm, 41 Nm/ 7,500 rpm.
Warranty: 12 month unlimited mileage limited warranty.
Bore & Stroke: 90 x 62.6mm
Compression ratio: 11.3:1
Fuel System: Mikuni™ BSR36
Final Drive: #520 chain
Overall Length: 2310mm (90.9 in.)
Overall Width: 875mm (34.4 in.)
Overall Height: 1240mm (48.8 in.)
Seat Height: 935mm (36.8 in.)
Ground Clearance: 300mm (11.8 in.)
Wheelbase: 1485mm (58.5 in.)
Dry Weight: 132kg (291 lbs.)
FRONT: Telescopic, oil-damped, adjustable compression and rebound damping
REAR: Link-type, fully-adjustable spring preload, adjustable compression and rebound damping
FRONT: Single hydraulic disc
REAR: Single hydraulic disc
Fuel Tank Capacity: 10 liter (2.64 gal.)
Color: Blue, Yellow
Specifications are subject to change without notice, in accordance with national regulation and legislations.