2005 Honda 919
Back to 2005 Honda Motorcycle Index Page
– 2005 Honda 919
It’s motorcycling in its purest form: A big, brawny engine in a pared-down lightweight package, ready for whatever kind of riding you can dream up.
Features & Benefits
New for 2005
– Exciting new Metallic Black color.
– New Black colored valve, ignition, and clutch covers.
– Gold colored front and rear brake calipers.
– Muscular 919cc open-class engine–inspired by the legendary CBR(r)900RR–pounds out impressive torque and surprising top-end horsepower.
– A feathery, 427-pound dry weight makes the 919 the lightest bike in its class.
– The comfortable, upright seating position is ideal for commuting, sport riding and long trips.
– Honda’s latest programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) and electronic digital ignition maximize power output and offer immediate throttle response.
– Stylish, dual center-up exhausts exit below the rear cowl.
– Massive square-tube mono-backbone frame and a large aluminum swingarm combine to provide an ideal balance of rigidity and flexibility for superb road feel.
– 43mm adjustable cartridge front fork, single-shock rear suspension and lightweight cast aluminum three-spoke wheels contribute to exceptional handling.
– Compact 919cc DOHC liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder engine is tuned for low-end and mid-range power for spirited acceleration.
– One-piece upper crankcase/cylinder assembly, right-side cam-drive design and a narrow, 32 degree included valve angle help make the 919 engine the lightest, most compact powerplant in its class.
– Sixteen-valve cylinder head with a 10.8:1 compression ratio promotes efficient combustion and high horsepower production.
– Direct shim-under-bucket valve actuation system is compact, ensures high-rpm durability and allows 16,000-mile valve maintenance intervals.
– High-pressure programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) delivers fuel at 50 psi to four injectors, each mounted in a 36mm throttle body. Fuel is delivered through four laser-drilled nozzle holes in each injector, producing a highly atomized air/fuel charge for maximum combustion efficiency and power.
– Advanced programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) features a sophisticated throttle sensor and advanced fuel-injection mapping to produce smooth and linear throttle response, responding precisely to fine throttle adjustments.
– 16-bit electronic control unit (ECU) provides two digital 3-D fuel injection maps for each cylinder and one digital 3-D ignition map for cylinder pairs, creating ideal fuel mixture and spark advance settings for superb rideability.
– Liquid-cooled oil cooler and a lightweight aluminum radiator keep engine temperatures in check for consistent performance and long engine life.
– Spring-loaded scissors-type gear on the drive side of the crankshaft and a rubber-mounted, floating clutch-cover help reduce noise.
– Weight-saving features include a compact, lightweight one-piece alternator.
– Unique four-into-two-into-one-into-two exhaust design features expanding-diameter tubing leading into the two center-up mufflers, contributing to strong mid-range torque and an exhilarating exhaust note. Stainless steel exhaust header and main pipe are attractive and corrosion-resistant. Polished stainless steel muffler-covers shield passenger’s legs from muffler heat.
– High-capacity, 380-watt AC generator.
– Maintenance-free automatic cam-chain tensioner.
– Smooth-shifting six-speed transmission with gear ratios carefully matched to the engine’s powerband.
– Durable #530 O-ring-sealed drive chain.
– Massive square-tube mono-backbone steel frame utilizes the engine as a stressed frame member. Together with the reinforced steering head, the chassis provides an optimal balance of rigidity and tuned flex for superb handling.
– A single box-section downtube reaches down to a unique front engine-mount that incorporates a cross-member to link the frame to the engine’s solid front mounts.
– Lightweight aluminum swingarm features a large one-piece cast pivot block and extruded triple-box-section spars.
– 43mm cartridge front fork with adjustable preload with compression damping and 4.7 inches of travel offers unparalleled rigidity for precise action and excellent handling on a variety of road surfaces.
– Lightweight aluminum upper triple-clamp adds rigidity for even better steering control.
– Single-shock rear suspension features a high-quality damper with seven-position-adjustable spring preload, 5.0 inches of plush wheel travel and a remote fluid-reservoir for added suspension control in all riding conditions.
– Braking system features two huge, 296mm front discs with four-piston calipers and a 240mm rear disc with a single-piston caliper for exceptional stopping power.
– Aluminum-alloy super-light, hollow three-spoke wheels with 3.5 x 17-inch front and 5.5 x 17-inch rear dimensions.
– Wide, durable vinyl-covered seat with thick foam padding provides plush comfort for commuting and two-up day trips.
– A stylish hugger-type rear fender closely follows the curve of the rear tire.
– Valve, ignition, and clutch covers are black.
– Gold colored front and rear brake calipers.
– Instrumentation includes a clock, digital odometer with two tripmeters, black face analog speedometer, tachometer, water temperature with white numerals, indicator lights for neutral, FI (fuel injection), oil pressure, low fuel and high beam.
– 5-gallon fuel tank is hinged for servicing ease.
– Aviation-style fuel cap.
– Engine-mounted manual fuel enricher provides smooth idling speed for cold engine starts.
– A bank-angle sensor shuts off fuel supply to the PGM-FI system if the motorcycle tips over, but is unaffected by bumps and vibration during normal operation.
– A large multi-reflector headlight with a twin-filament H4 low/high beam provides superb roadway illumination.
– Maintenance-free battery is lightweight with sufficient starting capacity for all riding seasons.
– Rugged plastic chip-guards on top of the fork sliders protect the front suspension from flying debris.
– Aluminum passenger grabrail.
– Convenient ignition switch/fork lock for added security.
– Handlebar switches and controls use internationally approved ISO graphic symbols.
– Transferable one-year unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
– Ownership includes one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Rider’s Club of America(tm) (HRCA(r)). Benefits include: discounts, travel benefits, roadside assistance, one year complimentary subscription to Honda Red Rider(tm) magazine, access to HRCA Clubhouse Web site (www.hrca.honda.com), access online to Honda Common Service Manual. For HRCA details, call 1-800-847-HRCA. For dealers only, please call (310) 783-3958.
– Sport Shield.
– Center Stand (Not available for CA models).
Engine Type: 919cc liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder
Bore and Stroke: 71mm x 58mm
Compression Ratio: 10.8:1
Valve Train: DOHC; four valves per cylinder
Carburetion: PGM-FI with manual enricher circuit
Ignition: Computer-controlled digital with three-dimensional mapping
Final Drive: #530 O-ring-sealed chain
Front: 43mm cartridge fork with adjustable preload and compression damping; 4.7 inches travel
Rear: Single shock with seven-position spring preload adjustability; 5.0 inches travel
Front: Dual full-floating 296mm discs with four-piston calipers
Rear: Single 240mm disc with single-piston caliper
Front: 120/70ZR-17 radial
Rear: 180/55ZR-17 radial
Wheelbase: 57.5 inches
Rake (Caster Angle): 25.0¡
Trail: 98mm (3.9 inches)
Seat Height: 31.5 inches
Dry Weight: 427 pounds
Fuel Capacity: 5.0 gallons
Color: Metallic Black
California version differs slightly due to emissions equipment.