2005 Kawasaski ZZR1200
Back to 2005 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
– 2005 Kawasaki ZZR1200
The Kawasaki ZZR®1200 motorcycle provides the streetbike enthusiast with a superb balance of big-bore performance matched to the sport-touring comfort necessary for long distance rides.
Kawasaki engineers based the ZZR1200’s double-overhead cam 1164cc inline-four engine after the muscular ZRX1200, but modified the ZZR’s 16-valve engine to be a stronger performer in the low- and mid-range sections of the powerband. The ZZR’s aluminum cylinders utilize chrome composite plating rather than cylinder liners to provide a lightweight package and quick heat transfer. The actual pistons feature reinforced ribs similar to those on the NINJA ZX-12R sportbike. Actuating the valves are sintered-tipped rocker arms, which ensure less wear and friction and provide optimum lubrication. Meanwhile, a balanced crank helps bring out the engine’s torquey personality.
Providing efficient fuel flow, the ZZR1200 uses twin fuel pumps that feed four Keihin 40mm downdraft carburetors equipped with the Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control (K-TRIC) system. In turn, an alternator produces more output to power the dual fuel pumps, as well as the stylish and functional dual headlights on the ZZR. To keep things cool, the ZZR’s radiator is equipped with two fans.
While the ZZR1200’s engine performance crosses boundaries uncharted by other sport touring machines, the same can be said for its chassis. The aluminum perimeter-style frame is reinforced with internal ribbing to withstand mass miles of sport touring. Meanwhile, a steel subframe accommodates saddlebags available through Kawasaki Accessories or color-matched luggage offered by Givi.
To give the ZZR1200 the light-handling nature associated with sport-touring bikes, ball bearings are used in the steering head to maintain a light-steering feeling. Also, the lightweight swingarm is designed relatively low to improve traction. Kawasaki’s UNI-TRAK® rear suspension system produces progressive rates on the shock for an overall smooth ride.
Bringing the ZZR1200 to a stop are opposed four-piston calipers, which grip 320mm dual-discs in the front, complemented by a 250mm rear disc brake.
A comfortable riding position gives the ZZR1200 all-day touring capacity, and an attractive instrument panel displays pertinent information, including fuel level. Finishing touches include an elegant, contoured fuel tank and sleek-looking twin-beam headlights. Hollow-spoke wheels, a one-piece fender and clear, automotive-style turn signals round out the ZZR1200 sport-touring package.
Features and Benefits
Four-Cylinder, 16-Valve Engine
– Aluminum cylinders with chrome composite plated bores reduce weight, resist wear and offer superior heat dispersion
– Pistons feature reinforcing ribs similar to those in the NINJA ZX-12R sportbike
Downdraft Carburetors with Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control (K-TRIC)
– A throttle-position sensor monitors engine load so that its micro-computer can determine the best ignition timing for more power and better fuel economy
Dual Fuel Pumps
– Dual fuel pumps provide a steady fuel flow to cylinders
– One pump feeds cylinders one and two, while the other feeds cylinders three and four
– Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use
– Equipped with twin fans
Sintered-Tipped Rocker Arms
– Provide longer wear, less friction and better lubrication
Aluminum Perimeter-Style Frame
– Thick frame rails provide extra rigidity
– Rake and offset designed to provide nimble handling
– Steering head incorporates internal reinforcement ribbing
– Steel subframe accommodates aftermarket saddlebags
Bottom-Link UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
– Long linkage rods provide a smoother ride
– Shock features hydraulic preload adjustment and protective guard over the shaft and seal
– Swingarm positioned low to improve traction and squat characteristics, and reduce wear on the chain slipper
– Swingarm features mounts that don’t pinch the pivot when tightened
– Comes with leak-resistant seals
– Includes twin-beam headlights, modern taillight and automotive-type turn signals with clear lenses
– Contoured fuel tank contributes to bike’s aesthetics
– Attractive instrumentation with fuel gauge, temperature gauge and digital clock
Engine: Four-stroke, DOHC, inline four, 16 valves
Bore x stroke: 79.0 x 59.4mm
Compression ratio: 10.6:1
Carburetion: Keihin CVKD40 x 4
Ignition: Electronic with Digital Advance and Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control (K-TRIC)
Frame: Aluminum perimeter design
Rake / trail: 25° / 4.1 in.
Suspension, front: Cartridge-style fork with preload adjustment
Suspension, rear: UNI-TRAK® system with remote reservoir shock with preload adjustment
Wheel travel, front: 4.7 in.
Wheel travel, rear: 4.7 in.
Tire, front: 120/70 x ZR17
Tire, rear: 180/55 x ZR17
Front brake: 320mm dual hydraulic discs
Rear brake: 250mm single hydraulic disc
Overall length: 85.0 in.
Overall width: 29.7 in.
Overall height: 49.0 in.
Ground clearance: 5.1 in.
Seat height: 31.5 in.
Dry weight: 520 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 6.1 gal.
Wheelbase: 59.3 in.
* Price and specifications subject to change