2008 Kawasaki KX85
Back to 2008 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge for detail.
They make great desktop images.
– 2008 Kawasaki KX85
2008 Kawasaki KX85
Today’s winner for tomorrow’s champions
The young rider has prepared for racing, developed the skills necessary to compete on real motocross tracks, and now needs a motorcycle that can keep pace with these expanding capabilities and their growing bodies. Enter the Kawasaki KX™85. A budding racer’s dream, the KX85 is powered by a liquid-cooled, two-stroke, single-cylinder 84cc engine that churns out race-winning power, and is packed with high-tech features, such as an Electrofusion-coated cylinder with a narrow squish band and large volume combustion chamber to enhance top-end power.
Fuel delivery for the engine is provided by a 28mm carburetor that features a crescent-slide to position the needle closer to the intake ports. A Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System (KIPS®) and tuned exhaust pipe contribute to the KX85’s tractable powerband, which provides control for riders of varying skill levels.
A smooth-shifting six-speed transmission, hard chrome-finished shift fork ends, a thick base on the clutch basket housing and an additional bushing on the input shaft for extra durability are all features that make the KX85 shine.
The KX85 utilizes a high-tensile steel perimeter frame, and a specially designed gas tank sits inside the frame, lowering the fuel load and center of gravity for improved handling –yet another beneficial feature borrowed from the larger KX design.
Long-travel suspension at both ends helps to smooth out the roughest course for riders of every size and skill level. The 36mm inverted cartridge front fork has the capability of 18-way compression damping adjustment. Out back, the spring preload, compression and rebound damping are all adjustable on the UNI-TRAK rear suspension system.
The KX85 also features aggressive Kawasaki Lime Green and Black graphics, just like the larger KX models.
Those who race their KX85 at designated events are eligible to receive support from Team Green™, Kawasaki’s amateur racing support program. Each year, Team Green provides regional support vehicles and highly trained technicians at more than 100 events, offering technical information and assistance to those who race Kawasaki products. Kawasaki also offers a comprehensive contingency program for amateur and professional riders who place well at designated events.
– Even-running temperatures provide consistent power output
– Lightweight Electrofusion-coated cylinder improves heat transfer while resisting abrasion and seizure
– Bridges between intake and exhaust ports are machine finished for less wear and improved reliability
– Magneto with lower inertial moment improves low-rpm response
– Rotor comes with rare-earth magnets –the unitized piece is small, light and more efficient
– Connecting rod big-end bearing has more rigid cage for improved durability
– Intake port shape and revised cylinder skirt allow cooling air into the crankcase chamber
– Primary gear is secured using a lock-nut to help reduce mechanical noise
– Metafoam gaskets for the generator and water pump covers improve sealing
Kawasaki Integrated Power Valve System (KIPS®)
– KIPS system varies exhaust-port height for increased horsepower and torque at all rpm’s
– Produces a broad powerband with more low-end torque and mid-range, while retaining excellent top-end power
– Breather in KIPS cover improves high-rpm and overrun performance
– Thick base clutch hub rides on needle bearings for smooth action
– Large clutch plates are 119mm in diameter for durability and control
– Clutch-release lever ratio is designed for light clutch lever action
– Clutch plate service cover simplifies maintenance and utilizes a metal-carbon composite gasket
– The fifth and sixth gears on the input shaft ride on bushings for added reliability
– Positive shifting action and rugged durability
– Shift forks are hard chrome finished to resist wear and seizing
– Convenient oil level window
– Bushings on the second, third and fourth gears on the output shaft increase durability
28mm Keihin PWK carburetor
– Large crescent slide carburetor positions the needle closer to intake ports for excellent throttle response and improves power
– Adjustable for various conditions
– Large right-side cutout improves airflow for increased power
– Reusable foam air filter
– Features large-diameter O-ring and groove on exhaust pipe for improved durability and easy installation<
– Aluminum silencer is re-packable like larger KX models
High-tensile Steel Perimeter Frame
– Wide footpegs for better control, made of cast steel for strength
– Thick footpeg mounting brackets withstand today’s rigorous tracks
– Engine and chassis bolts have rust-resistant coating
– Gas tank design lowers center of gravity for improved handling
UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
– The swingarm uses large cross-section beams for improved rigidity and control
– Cast-aluminum drive chain adjuster sections for easy chain adjustments
– Shock is fully adjustable for compression and rebound damping and spring preload
36mm Inverted Cartridge Fork
– Inverted forks are rigid, providing better steering response and control
– Compression damping is 18-way adjustable
– Aluminum upper fork tubes measure 49.5mm in diameter for flex-free performance<
Front and Rear Disc Brakes
– Front brake lever shape offers better feel
– Forged-aluminum rear brake pedal is strong, lightweight and features two seals at the pivot for smooth operation and increased durability
– Strong braking power is achieved with minimal effort
Front and Rear Wheels
– Rear hub features two wheel bearings on the drive side of the hub for durability
– Rear-axle diameter is large for more rigidity
Aggressive Kawasaki Lime Green and Black graphics just like larger KX models
SPECIFICATIONS USA – 2008 Kawasaki KX85:
Engine: Two-stroke single with KIPS®
Bore x stroke: 48.5 x 45.8mm
Carburetion: Keihin PWK28
Induction: Crankcase reed valve
Compression ratio: 10.0:1 (low speed) – 9.2:1 (high speed)
Ignition: Digital CDI
Final drive: Chain
Frame: High-tensile steel perimeter design with subframe member
Rake / trail: 27 degrees / 3.5 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 36mm inverted telescopic cartridge fork with 18-way compression damping / 10.8 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAK® single-shock system with 4-way compression and 16-way rebound damping, plus adjustable spring preload / 10.8 in.
Front tire: 70/100×17
Rear tire: 90/100×14
Front brake / rear brake: Hydraulic disc / Disc
Overall length: 71.7 in.
Overall width: 28.9 in.
Overall height: 41.5 in.
Ground clearance: 13.4 in.
Seat height: 33.1 in.
Dry weight: 143.3 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 1.5 gal.
Wheelbase: 49.4 in.
Color: Lime Green
SPECIFICATIONS Canada – 2008 Kawasaki KX85:
Type Liquid-cooled 2-stroke Single
Displacement 64 cc
Bore and Stroke 44.5 x 41.6 mm
Compression Ratio 8.4:1
Carburetor Mikuni VM24SS
Induction 4-petal reed valve
Ignition Digital CDI
Lubrication Pre-mix (32:1)
Transmission 6-speed, return
Primary Drive Gear
Final Drive Chain
Primary Reduction Ratio 3.500 (77/22)
Gear Ratios: 1st 2.846 (37/13)
2nd 2.125 (34/16)
3rd 1.722 (31/18)
4th 1.428 (30/21)
5th 1.217 (28/23)
6th 1.083 (26/24)
Final Reduction Ratio 3.615 (47/13)
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual
Type Semi double cradle, High-tensile steel with detachable left-side rear section
Suspension: Front 33 mm telescopic fork, 4-click adjustable rebound damping
Suspension: Rear Bottom-link Uni-Trak with gas-charged shock fully adjustable spring preload, and 4-click rebound damping
Wheel Travel, Front/Rear 210 mm, 240 mm
Tires, Front/Rear 60/100-14, 80/100-12
Caster (Rake) 27°
Trail 60 mm
Front Single-piston caliper, 180 mm disc
Rear Single-piston caliper, 180 mm disc
Overall Length 1,590 mm
Overall Width 760 mm
Overall Height 955 mm
Wheelbase 1,120 mm
Ground Clearance 305 mm
Seat Height 760 mm
Dry Weight 57 kg
Fuel Capacity 3.8 litres
Colour Lime Green
Specifications and features are subject to change