Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2009 Honda TRX500PG CTE Canadian Trail Edition
2009 Honda TRX500PG CTE Canadian Trail Edition
New for 2009, the Honda TRX500PG Canadian Trail Edition Rubicon combines the many benefits of Honda’s Electric Power Steering (EPS) with the great handling of made-for-Canada suspension calibration. EPS makes the steering lighter when you need it to be, while also helping to minimize kickback when the front wheels hit a rock, rut or other obstacle. You stay more in control, and long rides or tough jobs suddenly become a whole lot less tiring. And with special Canadian Trail Edition suspension calibration, you get a smooth ride in all sorts of conditions without compromising stability and control.
Features & Benefits
– Honda’s Electric Power Steering (EPS) helps reduce rider fatigue, helps
minimize kickback at the handlebar when the front wheels are deflected by
a rock or other obstacle, and improves overall comfort and control
– Adjustable suspension developed through extensive testing in Canada
– Significantly better comfort due to suspension calibration, without loss of
– Crisp response from the fully automatic Hondamatic® transmission, which
also features push-button Electric Shift Program™ (ESP) control
– GPScape® built into the dash helps takes the worry out of exploring new
– Liquid-cooled overhead-valve single-cylinder 499 cc four-stroke engine is mounted longitudinally in the frame, allowing direct driveshaft alignment to front and rear wheels for improved drivetrain efficiency.
– Liquid-cooling provides consistent engine operating temperature in extreme conditions for maximum power output and long engine life.
– Camshaft is located adjacent to the cylinder head, reducing engine height. Together with the external engine-oil tank, engine height is further reduced for a low centre of gravity and excellent handling.
– Four-valve cylinder head utilizes two short pushrods to provide a broad powerband for optimum performance and engine efficiency.
– Unique dry-sump oiling system attaches the oil tank to the front of the engine cases, lowering engine height and allowing optimum engine placement for excellent ground clearance and superb handling.
– Standard high-flow oil cooler ensures optimal engine lubrication under difficult operating conditions.
– The multiple scavenging oil system utilizes an oil pump with three sintered steel rotors (one for feed, two for scavenge) to provide a stable oil supply in diverse riding conditions.
– Unique temperature indicator uses two sensors to monitor both oil and coolant temperature.
– High-capacity coolant radiator is rated at 17.2 kW for efficient engine cooling in extreme operating conditions.
– Compact, flat-shaped radiator fan motor is lightweight and contributes to optimum engine placement.
– Compact, flat-shaped radiator fan motor is lightweight and contributes to optimum engine placement.
– Rubber-cushion engine mounting and gear-driven counterbalancer reduce vibration.
– Integral electric carburetor heater system improves driveability and ensures smooth operation in cold conditions.
– Convenient electric starter, with auxiliary recoil starter and an automatic internal decompression system.
– Solid-state CD ignition with electronic advance for excellent performance and reliability.
– Stainless steel exhaust system provides superior corrosion resistance.
– Closed crankcase vent system safeguards against engine oil contamination.
– Switchable 2WD/4WD enables the rider to shift between 2WD and 4WD with the simple push of a switch. Quiet operation and smooth engagement are key features of the system. An electromagnetic mechanical clutch unit (EMCU) located on the centre of the propeller shaft engages 4WD with a quiet two-way roller clutch. Unlike mechanical designs, this ensures smooth operation by employing a magnetic switching mechanism that engages when front and rear wheel speeds vary by less than 9.6 km/h.
– The Hondamatic transmission utilizes variable hydraulic pressure and mechanical torque amplification to provide seamless job-handling power and excellent acceleration. Engine power drives a hydraulic pump. The pump, in turn, drives a hydraulic motor with variable fluid capacity. Utilizing pump and motor pistons and a variable-pitch motor-side swash plate, hydraulic capacity and pressure are varied, producing continuously variable output speed. In addition, torque is increased as output-shaft speed is reduced.
– Dash-mounted knob switches to one of three electronic shifting programs: D1 for maximum performance, D2 for very low traction situations, and ESP, Honda’s exclusive Electric Shift Program. D1 and D2 modes provide continuously variable transmission output; ESP allows the rider to “shift” the Hondamatic with the touch of a thumb using two push-buttons mounted on the left handlebar.
– The Hondamatic is extremely efficient, with operating efficiencies ranging from 75-81 percent in full-reduction mode and from 87-92 percent when input and output speeds are the same (1:1 ratio).
– The Hondamatic is fully sealed, compact and maintenance-free, with no belts to wear out and replace.
– The Hondamatic features true engine braking, unlike conventional belt-drive designs.
– Versatile rider controls provide a shift lever to select Drive, Low, Neutral and Reverse.
– The Hondamatic uses multi-filtered (one large-capacity filter and three strainers) engine oil as hydraulic fluid, simplifying maintenance and ensuring an adequate oil supply in all operating conditions.
– Unique torque-sensitive front differential provides superior traction compared to a conventional limited-slip design, and reduces torque steer substantially for less steering effort.
– Honda’s revolutionary Electric Power Steering (EPS) system monitors steering torque and vehicle speed to adjust the levels of steering assist and feel. When stopped or at low speeds, it provides more assistance for light steering effort. As speed increases, the amount of assistance is reduced to provide the appropriate level of feedback. Perhaps the most significant benefit is that the system will provide light and consistent steering feel in both 2WD and 4WD operation. As a secondary benefit, the EPS system acts as a steering damper to greatly reduce undesirable kickback through the handlebars in rough or rocky terrain, thereby helping to reduce rider fatigue.
– Dual front disc brake calipers feature a patented built-in scraper system to remove mud and snow from inside the front wheel to help prevent build-up of debris between caliper and rim and ensure consistent braking performance.
– Brake pads feature thick, long-wearing material with improved mud durability, feel and control. Pads feature internal scraper that gives audible warning when pad life is low.
– Rugged frame and suspension provide 190 mm (7.5 inches) of ground clearance.
– Steering mechanism design features light effort and a tight turning radius of 3.3 metres (10.8 feet).
– Suspension calibrated specifically for Canadian trail conditions, offering improved comfort and control. Canadian Trail Edition features different suspension springs, different spring rates, different rebound and compression damping settings, as well as revised front to rear balance. Together these suspension settings provide improved ride, handling and control in Canadian trail conditions.
– Independent double-wishbone front suspension uses premium adjustable shock absorbers to provide 170 mm (6.7 inches) of suspension travel for a plush, comfortable ride.
– Steel swingarm and dual rear adjustable shock absorbers provide 170 mm (6.7 inches) of suspension travel for superb comfort and compliance.
– Attractive, large-diameter 12-inch aluminum wheels reduce unsprung weight for excellent ride and handling.
– Tough, large-diameter 25 x 8-12 front, 25 x 10-12 rear tires for precise handling.
– GPScape is contained within the standard meter assembly and features storage for up to 100 waypoints, digital compass function indicating travel direction and an automatic compensating clock. When travelling or returning to a designated waypoint, GPScape will tell the rider distance and direction from present location.
– Available NaturalGear camouflage colour scheme offers a pattern that’s soft, open, and shadow-free for superior camouflage performance in a wide variety of conditions. A special application process ensures superior durability.
– Water-resistant storage is integrated into body work.
– Engine design produces low emissions and meets California Air Resources Board (CARB) off-road emissions standards.
– Multi-function LCD digital instrumentation is compact, tough and waterproof, featuring large readouts for Hondamatic transmission modes, gear selector position, speedometer, fuel gauge, odometer, resettable tripmeter and hourmeter/clock. Instrument housing includes LED lights for Reverse, Neutral and temperature warning indicator.
– Waterproof accessory socket provides 12-volt, 10-amp power with a built-in temperature-type fuse.
– Large, lightweight plastic fuel tank with 15-litre capacity.
– Digital fuel gauge.
– Snorkel-type air intake system is specially designed for water crossings.
– Thickly padded seat provides excellent comfort.
– Uniquely designed floorboards allow the rider’s feet to grip the footrests while keeping mud and debris away.
– Standard over-fenders give excellent mud protection.
– Reusable foam air filter.
– Quiet spark arrester/muffler.
– Powerful 361W AC generator.
– Tough 12-amp-hour maintenance-free battery.
– Triple headlight system with single 45W upper light and dual 30W lower lights with multi-reflector lenses for optimal light distribution plus a 21W stoplight and taillight.
– Large front and rear cargo racks are rated at 30 kg (66 pounds) and 60 kg (133 pounds), respectively.
– Heavy-duty trailer hitch with towing capacity of 385 kg (850 pounds).
– Unique rear-opening storage compartment allows access when rack is loaded.
– Constant-velocity-joint boot guards help prevent damage to boot covers.
– Durable, comfortable, easy-to-use controls.
– Keyed ignition switch for added security.
– Triple skid plates.
– Easy-to-use parking brake.
– Top-mounted choke lever for simple operation.
– Standard tool kit includes a tire-pressure gauge. GVWR is 504 kg (1,111 pounds).
– 1 year, transferable limited warranty.
2009 Honda TRX500PG CTE Canadian Trail Edition – USA Specifications
American MSRP $0 USD
Mdoel Not available in the USA
2009 Honda TRX500PG CTE Canadian Trail Edition – Canada Specifications
Canadian MSRP $TBD CDN
Engine Type Liquid-cooled longitudinally mounted single-cylinder four-stroke
Displacement 499 cc
Bore & Stroke 92 mm x75 mm
Compression Ratio 9.2:1
Valve Train OHV, 4 valves
Fuel Delivery Single 36 mm CV carb
Transmission Fully automatic electronically controlled hydromechanical CVT with selectable ESP and reverse
Final Drive 2WD/4WD; direct front and rear driveshafts with switchable 2WD/4WD and torque-sensing front differential
Front Suspension Independent double-wishbone with adjustable hydraulic shocks; 170 mm (6.7 inches) travel
Rear Suspension Swingarm with dual adjustable hydraulic shocks; 170 mm (6.7 inches) travel
Tires 25×8 – 12 front; 25×10 – 12 rear
Brakes Front dual 180 mm hydraulic discs; rear sealed mechanical drum
Length 2,108 mm (83 inches)
Width 1,188 mm (46.8 inches)
Ground Clearance 190 mm (7.5 inches)
Seat Height 861 mm (33.9 inches)
Wheelbase 1,285 mm (50.6 inches)
Curb Weight TBA kg (tba lb) including required fluids and full tank of gas – ready to ride
Fuel Capacity 15 litres, including 2.5-litre reserve
Colour Red, Chaos Black, Camo (optional)