Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2011 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4×4 Diesel
2011 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4×4 Diesel
Toughness, Torque and World-Class Durability
When it comes to handling really big jobs, whether it’s interstate trucking, rail freight or large-scale excavation, diesel engines are the obvious choice. They’re powerful, durable and fuel-efficient. All of which explains the use of a strong and reliable diesel engine powering the 2011 Kawasaki Mule™ 4010 4×4 Diesel utility vehicle. Whether you’re hauling 1,000 pounds of fence posts and tools to the north forty or a half-ton of materials to an inner-city job site, the 4010 4×4 Diesel’s robust and long-lasting power, easy-to-use automatic transmission and electric power steering (EPS) will make short work of the task.
This muscular, full-sized workhorse features the sort of hardware and technology sure to make you more productive. Selectable four-wheel drive and a locking rear differential ensure traction and control in mud, gravel and hilly environs, while a tilting cargo bed makes unloading a simple affair.
Producing substantial torque at low engine rpm, the Mule 4010 4×4 Diesel’s liquid-cooled, 953cc three-cylinder diesel engine is matched to a Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System (KAPS), a continuously variable transmission (CVT) that features a high and low range, reverse, and helps maintain engine rpm in its most efficient range for any selected vehicle speed, load or terrain. It also yields a wide drive ratio spread for ample pulling power and quick acceleration.
Large torque converters maximize belt engagement area for optimal heat dissipation, strength and durability. Wear is reduced by the use of a strong and beefy drive belt and sheaves with high silicon-type material. Durability is further aided by cooling the torque converter with filtered air via a special air cleaner that uses an easily replaceable filter element and an efficient intake cooling fan to draw sufficient air into the CVT. A high-flow cover also helps cool the CVT while providing superb splash protection and waterproofing.
This highly reliable drive system uses a dependable, low-maintenance shaft drive to transmit power to a dual-mode rear differential that can be locked to maximize traction, or unlocked to minimize ground disturbance when making tight turns. The operator can also engage four-wheel drive for added traction and pulling power in difficult conditions.
A cyclone-type Donaldson® air filter system with a replaceable paper element supplies the engine with clean air. This efficient design needs less frequent cleaning, even with repeated use in extremely dusty off-road conditions. To help the filter stay clean and last longer, especially in the rugged conditions for which this Kawasaki was built, engine air and converter cooling air are both drawn from the top of the cab frame, where there is less dust.
The electric power steering (EPS) system offers a more controlled ride by reducing steering effort at low speeds and harnessing its electric motor’s inertia to dampen much of the bump steer and kickback associated with front wheel impacts. Offering a significant boost at low speeds and in four-wheel drive, the EPS system uses input from vehicle speed and torque sensors to determine how much assistance is needed from the system’s electric motor.
The Mule 4010 4×4 Diesel’s straightforward, user friendly controls allow drivers to focus more attention on negotiating rough or fragile terrain. The forward/reverse, high/low-range gear lever and four-wheel drive selector are all within easy reach on the dash. The coolant temperature warning light is easy to see, and a push-button control activates the headlights. Other standard features include an hour meter, a horn on the dash, a gauge on the fuel tank and an intake restriction gauge to indicate when the air filter needs to be cleaned or replaced.
The Mule 4010 4×4 Diesel features a roomy cab surrounded by a large-diameter steel tube frame structure. With its modern rugged bodywork, this four-wheel drive utility vehicle is completely at home in tough work environments. Its durable, color-molded plastic body panels are manufactured help hide minor scuffs and scratches. The front hood can be opened with the pull of a dash-mounted knob and allows access to a deep storage space equipped with convenient D-rings to help secure cargo. Additionally, two levers make opening and closing the tailgate a secure and easy process.
The Mule 4010 4×4 Diesel’s list of owner-friendly features also includes winch-ready tabs located under the front grille, which greatly simplifies the winch-mounting process.
The Mule 4010 4×4 Diesel chassis includes a ladder-type frame riding on a DeDion-type rear leaf-spring suspension. It is designed to carry heavy loads yet provide a smooth ride when the cargo bed is empty. MacPherson struts handle front suspension duties and provide a good balance of comfort and load capacity. Effective stopping power is provided by four hydraulically operated, self-adjusting, sealed drum brakes designed to resist contamination from water, mud and other debris. Large 23-inch low-pressure tires provide a comfortable ride, great traction and help minimize impact over a variety of terrain.
At a glance…
– Diesel performance and economy
– Fully automatic transmission with selectable two
– or four-wheel drive
– Electric power steering system (EPS)
– Modern styling and user friendly dashboard and controls
– Liquid-cooled, three-cylinder diesel engine produces incredible torque: 38.3 lb-ft @ 2,800 rpm coupled with exceptional fuel economy
– Perfect for commercial job sites where diesel fuel is readily available
– Exhaust pipe routing allows easy hydraulic lift kit installation
– Overhead valve design maximizes efficiency
– Cast iron block and head provide extreme durability
Environmentally Friendly Emissions
– Positive crankcase ventilation system sends blow-by gases to the intake tract to be burned in the engine
– Muffler features a U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor
Cyclone-type Engine Air Cleaner
– Cyclone design is effective and needs less frequent cleaning even in extremely dusty conditions
– Restriction gauge tells when to change the filter
– Donaldson® air cleaner has a replaceable paper element
Cab Frame Air Intake
– Draws engine air and converter cooling air from the top of the cab frame where there is less dust, so the air filter stays cleaner longer
Heavy-duty Battery and Alternator
– 52 amp-hour battery ensures positive starts, while the high-output, 40-amp alternator keeps the battery charged
Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System (KAPS)
– Fully automatic continuously variable transmission (CVT) features forward high/low and reverse, and helps keep the engine in the right operating rpm for a variety of vehicle speeds, loads or terrain
– The CVT has a wide spread of drive ratios for quick acceleration and ample pulling power
– Large drive and driven torque converters maximize engagement area of the unit’s strong drive belt for improved heat dissipation and added durability
– High-flow cover helps cool the CVT while providing superb splash protection and waterproofing
– Sheaves with high silicon type material for increased durability
Torque Converter Air Filter
– Efficient intake cooling fan draws plenty of air into the CVT
– Special air cleaner with easily replaceable filter element cuts torque converter wear by cooling it with filtered air
– Strong bevel gear set and rear axle for increased durability
– Locked mode for maximum traction, unlocked mode to minimize ground disturbance
Limited-slip Front Differential
– Allows great traction with low steering effort
Four-wheel Drive with Two-speed Transfer Case
– Selectable four-wheel drive gives the operator traction options
– Shift to four-wheel drive and low range for maximum traction in adverse conditions, or select two-wheel drive and high range to cut gear wear and increase fuel economy
Electric Power Steering (EPS)
– The EPS system reduces steering effort, especially at low speeds when turning effort is greatest
– The electric motor’s inertia significantly reduces bump steer and kickback to the steering wheel caused by shocks to the wheels for a more comfortable and controlled ride
– Input from vehicle speed and torque sensors determine the amount of steering assistance required from the system’s motor
– No power steering pump means no power loss from the engine
– EPS only operates when the engine is running to keep from draining the battery
Independent Strut-type Front Suspension
– MacPherson strut long-travel front suspension provides a comfortable ride and excellent load-carrying capability
DeDion Rear Suspension
– Overload-style leaf springs can handle heavy loads, yet provide a smooth ride when the cargo box is empty
– Semi-independent action
Self-adjusting, Sealed Hydraulic Drum Brakes
– Four wheel drum brakes are self-adjusting and feature extra sealing for protection against mud, dust and debris
Front Hood with Storage Tub
– Large underhood storage tub holds cargo out of sight
– Quick and easy access with a push-button latch
– Includes four D-rings for securing loads
Tilting Cargo Bed
– Steel cargo bed can carry up to 1,100 pounds and tilts for quick unloading
– Thick tailgate panel and secure latching tailgate locking pins reduce vibration and noise, and add durability
Rugged and Capable
– Bodywork is a rugged, modern design with truck-like styling
– Can tow up to 1,200 pounds with optional Kawasaki draw bar
– Meets Roll Over Protective Structure (ROPS) requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.4, and 7.5, and also meets FMVSS 216 roof crush resistance requirement
– Bench seat can carry up to two people
– Durable chassis includes winch-ready mounts to simplify winch installation
– Crankcase oil level dipstick under the seat
– Automotive-type, spin-on oil filter
– Coolant, battery electrolyte level sight gauges
– 12V DC outlet with 10-amp capacity
– The 2WD / 4WD lever is mounted on the dash for easy access
– Parking brake and coolant temperature warning lights are easy to see
– Shift lever with Y-gate pattern eliminates need for High-Low switch lever
– Push-button headlight switch activates 35-watt cat-eye headlights
– Hour meter, fuel gauge and a horn are standard equipment
Popular Accessory Items
– Soft or Hard Top
– Enclosed Cab
– Cab Heater
– Snow Plow
2011 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4×4 Diesel – Specifications
American MSRP $11,199 USD
Canadian MSRP $13,649 CDN
Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, three-cylinder, overhead valve diesel
Bore x Stroke: 72 x 78mm
Compression ratio: 24.8: 1
Air filter: Snorkel-type with cyclone-type two-stage dry replaceable element
Oil filter: Automotive-type spin-on canister
Ignition: Compression with glow plugs for starting
Electrical: 12V DC, 52 amp-hour battery, 40 amp alternator
Transmission: Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System (KAPS), with reverse, dual range, 2WD/4WD
Final drive: Shaft, selectable four-wheel drive with dual-mode rear differential
Exhaust: Muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor
Tires: 23×11-10 tubeless
Front suspension / wheel travel: Independent, MacPherson strut / 3.9 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Semi-independent, De Dion axle with leaf springs and shocks / 2.8 in.
Steering: Electric power steering assisted rack-and-pinion
Brakes: Four-wheel hydraulic drums, sealed
Fuel capacity: 6.4 gal.
Curb weight: 1,598 lbs.
Overall length: 118.3 in.
Overall width: 62.0 in.
Overall height: 75.8 in.
Wheelbase: 73.6 in.
Ground clearance: 6.9 in.
Roll over protective structure (ROPS): This structure meets ROPS requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, and 7.5. This structure also meets FMVSS 216 Roof Crush resistance requirement
Cargo bed dimensions (LxWxH): 46.3 x 51.6 x 11.3 in. / 15.6 cu. ft.
Load capacity: 1,632 lbs.
Cargo Bed Capacity: 1,100 lbs.
Towing capacity: 1,200 lbs.
Turning radius: 11.2 ft.
Top speed: 25 mph, governed
Instruments: Parking brake warning light, coolant temperature warning light, horn, 12V DC outlet, (2) 5/21-watt taillight/brake light, (2) 35-watt sealed-beam headlight, speedometer
Color Choices: Woodsman Green
Warranty: 12 Months
Good Times™ Protection Plan: 12 or 24 months