Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2012 Zero MX
2012 Zero MX Review
Responsive. Planted in the corners. Tuned for flight. Twist the throttle and start carving the track. Silent and powerful, the Zero MX opens a visceral new world of moto possibility.
The Zero MX takes revolutionary electric motorcycle technology to the track, trail or even your back yard. Incredibly tough and lightweight, the Zero MX uses a finely tuned and fully adjustable suspension system to absorb aggressive terrain and give you an edge. Combined with state of the art Z-Force™ technology and an ultra-light frame design, the Zero MX is agile and fast where it counts.
Speaking of fast, the Zero MX will spin heads as well as laps around the competition. Based on the 2011 World Electric Indoor Motocross championship winning machine, the new Zero MX has taken huge leaps forward in terms of power and response. Finely massaged by the Zero engineering team, the new MX demands attention. Track tuned suspension and an industry leading power-to-weight ratio results in a dirt bike with uninhibited responsiveness. Alloy motocross wheels take the hits while smoothly maintaining control. Intensity combines with silence to open up a new world of riding possibilities. Think about it: if no one heard you riding, where would you ride?
2012 Zero MX Key Features
What’s new for 2012
The new 2012 Zero MX is more fun to ride than ever before. It shares many of the same improvements as the Zero X, but is stripped down to be lighter, faster off the line and have more traction in the dirt. Designed exclusively for off-road and motocross track usage, the 2012 Zero MX provides 75% more range, leverages Zero Motorcycles’ revolutionary new Z-Force™ battery technology and is more powerful than ever before. In addition to improved performance, owners will be pleased to know that the Zero MX’s Z-Force™ power pack now lasts the life of the motorcycle with the ability to ride upwards of 3,000 track hours while still retaining 80% capacity. To give the Zero MX a bold new look, it now has more contemporary bodywork and stylish graphics.
2012 Zero MX Features and Benefits
Game Changing Z-Force™ Technology: 75% More Range / 3,000 Track Hours on a Power Pack
The stand-alone charger minimizes charge time and can work in parallel with Zero’s quick charge accessories to cut charge times by 50%.
Enhanced power pack features include:
– 75% more range over 2011
– Now capable of going for up to 90 minutes on the track or 120 minutes on the trail
– Cells last 3,000 full charge-discharge cycles before hitting 80% capacity, yielding as much as 3,000 hours of track riding on the original power pack
– State of the art new power pack configuration and cell chemistry ?68% higher energy density power pack that yields significant range and performance advantages
– Elegant new low resistance and highly robust cell interconnect technology
– New battery management system with enhanced 24/7 cell monitoring and a 92% reduction in power consumption
– New, higher voltage power system that allows the motor to run cooler and with more RPMs than ever before
– Quick-charge option available to cut recharge time by 50%
– Power pack can be fully removed from the motorcycle and transported to charge anywhere
– Power pack can be used interchangeably with the Zero XU and Zero X
– Full aluminum anodized exterior casing
– Highly durable and impact load resistant
– Superior internal packaging
– External programming and recall capabilities via diagnostics port
Motor: High Torque and Acceleration
Fueled by a Z-Force™ lithium ion power pack and a performance motor, the Zero MX delivers incredible torque from zero RPM. This is made possible by the powertrain’s ability to efficiently dump an incredibly high amount of power as soon as you twist the throttle.
– 33% more overall power with a top speed of 54mph
– Increased torque and broader power band for much stronger acceleration
– Sustains higher power output for longer durations
– Integrated Z-Force Air Induction System: ?Allows for increased motor performance during aggressive riding
– Enables more energy output for longer durations
– Powerful, low weight and compact motor
– Performance settings for more and less aggressive riding (Level I and II)
Frame and Body: New Bodywork and Light Aircraft Grade Aluminum
At the core of the Zero MX lies the ultimate dirt bike frame that Zero has engineered from the ground up and hand crafted using aircraft grade aluminum. The resulting combination of lower weight and higher strength means more responsiveness. In the turns and off the line this translates into greater acceleration. To make the frame even more durable each one is shot-peened and anodized. For 2012 the Zero MX has a bold new look that includes new front fairings, rear number plates and graphics.
– Rigid, robust and lightweight frame
– Completely new front fairings and rear number plates
– Hydroformed top tube for increased strength and reduced weight
– Massive swingarm for increased strength and torsional rigidity (better cornering and tracking)
– Large cylindrical swingarm cross tube for increased stiffness and suspension response
– Entire frame is shot-peened and anodized for resistance to corrosion and abrasion
– Organic frame gusseting for increased strength and smoother body lines
– Bodywork is highlighted with new graphics
Suspension and Handling: Smooth Control
The Zero MX uses a refined suspension system to absorb aggressive terrain on the track. Taking advantage of the motorcycle’s low weight, the inverted front fork is robust, light and responsive. Riders can quickly dial it in using the externally adjustable compression and rebound damping. On the rear, a rigid double diamond swing arm keeps the wheel planted using a specially developed rear shock with a fully adjustable spring preload and easily tuned damping.
– Carefully tuned, balanced and improved suspension system: ?Specially tuned for the track and trail
– Robust triple-clamps for improved bearing pre-loading and durability
– Steel stanchions for increased strength, rigidity and control
– Front adjustments: Compression and rebound damping
– Rear adjustments: Spring preload, compression and rebound damping
– Refined contact points: ?Aggressive saw tooth profile footpegs to maintain foot position and control
– Standardized footpeg clevis for greater aftermarket options
– Handlebars with adjustable risers
– Ergonomic riding position for better control
– More comfortable seat to accommodate longer rides
Brakes: Robust Stopping Power
Because you’ll be going faster through the turns and riding harder with instant torque at any RPM, the Zero MX features robust stopping power and a precise brake feel.
– Powerful and high performance braking system
– Precise, easy to modulate and requires little effort
– Increased fade resistance
– Steel braided lines for improved lever feel and precise brake modulation
– Greater commonality using standard-size mount patterns
Wheels and Tires: Street Legal Traction for the Trail
The Zero MX alloy wheels are designed to reduce unsprung weight while not compromising on strength. During acceleration instant torque is efficiently channeled into the dirt through a beefy rear tire and directed using an equally aggressive front. For 2012 the wheels are stouter, more durable and more robust than ever before.
– Standard sizes with commonality for greater aftermarket tire options
– Aggressive motocross tires (front and rear)
Gearing and Chain: Durability and New Aftermarket Options
To accommodate the Zero MX’s increased traction and ability to accelerate in the dirt Zero uses a hardened steel 420 chain along with durable direct drive gearing. The result is a stronger and longer lasting drivetrain that puts the power from the throttle directly into the dirt.
– Hardened steel 420 Chain
– Front and rear accompanying 420 sprockets
– Optimized to be light, stiff, strong and durable
– Standard-size mount pattern for greater aftermarket options
Dash: Quick Look and Easy Access
A quick look tells you everything you need to know when reading the Zero MX’s simple and durable instrument panel. Connecting the dash to the heart of the motorcycle is a robust wiring system that is designed to increase electrical system longevity. With a motorcycle this desirable, you’ll also be reassured to know that it comes with an integrated keyed ignition switch and steering lock.
– New sleek, small and refined “dash” that was designed specifically for the Zero MX
– Easy access to gauges and switches – ‘quick look’ instrumentation
– “Armed” light for increased awareness and safety
– Keyed ignition switch and steering lock that offers improved security and peace of mind
– Exceptionally accurate state of charge indicator
2012 Zero MX – Specifications and Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $ 9,495 USD
Europe MSRP Price: â‚¬9,495 Euro
MX Track 45-90 minutes
Trail 60-120 minutes
Type High efficiency, Forced air cooled, axial flux permanent magnet, brushed motor
Controller High efficiency, 400 amp, programmable brushed DC controller
Top speed 54 mph (86 km/h)
Type Z-Force™ patented Li-Ion intelligent portable power pack
Maximum capacity 3.0 kWh
Nominal capacity 2.6 kWh
Estimated pack life to 80% (MX track) 3,000 hours
Estimated pack life to 80% (trail) 4,000 hours
Charger type 1kW, standalone
Charge time (standard) 3.1 hours (100% charged) / 2.7 hours (95% charged)
Quick 2x charger time (accessory) 2.0 hours (100% charged) / 1.3 hours (95% charged)
Input Standard 110V or 220V
Transmission Clutchless one speed
Final drive 71T / 13T, 420 chain
Chassis / Suspension / Brakes
Front suspension 38mm inverted forks with adjustable compression and rebound damping
Rear suspension Direct-link shock with adjustable spring preload, compression and rebound damping
Front suspension travel 9.44 inches (240 mm)
Rear suspension travel 8.71 inches (221 mm)
Front brakes 2 piston hydraulic, 220×4 mm disc
Rear brakes 1 piston hydraulic, 220×4 mm disc
Front tire 70/100-19
Rear tire 90/100-16
Front wheel 1.85×19
Rear wheel 2.15×16
Wheel base 55.5 inches (1410 mm)
Seat height (standard) 34.3 inches (870 mm)
Low seat height (accessory) 32.3 inches (819 mm)
Rake 26.4 degrees
Trail 3.5 inches (89 mm)
Frame 14.5 pounds (6.6 kg)
Curb weight 200 pounds (91 kg)
GVWR 450 pounds (204 kg)
Carrying capacity 250 pounds (113 kg)
Typical cost to charge $0.32
Specifications are subject to change without notice. Imagery may not reflect most current product specifications. Zero Motorcycles reserves the right to make improvements and/or design changes without any obligation to previously sold, assembled or fabricated equipment.
2012 Zero MX – Press Release
ZERO MOTORCYCLES DELIVERS 2012 MODEL LINE WITH OVER 100 MILES RANGE,
MORE POWER AND NEW “LIFE OF MOTORCYCLE” POWER PACK
– Game-Changing New Motorcycles to Begin Shipping in February 2012 –
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. (November 8, 2011) – Zero Motorcycles today announced its 2012 model line that includes a revolutionary new powertrain, models capable of exceeding 100 miles range, a power pack designed to last the life of the motorcycle and top speeds of up to 88 mph. Stealthy looking and contemporary, every model has been transformed to be faster, go further and, in the spirit of all two wheeled enthusiasts, to be more fun than ever before. Innovating at an exceptional pace, Zero Motorcycles plans to begin delivery of its complete 2012 model line in February 2012. This will mark the first time in transportation history that a mass production electric motorcycle capable of exceeding 100 miles range will be available for consumers to own.
Zero’s new Z-Forcetm power pack uses a completely new battery cell chemistry and configuration that is up to 95% more energy dense and is rated to 3,000 complete charge cycles before hitting 80% capacity. This means that a Zero S could travel as much as 308,000 miles on its original power pack. All Zero’s on and off-road motorcycles leverage the new technology meaning that the power pack is designed to exceed the longevity expected of any conventional motorcycle. The result is a complete electric motorcycle line that offers owners exhilarating rides while saving on gas and virtually all routine powertrain maintenance.
“The 2012 model line is truly game changing. It marks the first time in history that riders can actually own an electric motorcycle that is capable of exceeding 100 miles of range on a single charge,” said Scot Harden, VP of Global Marketing of Zero Motorcycles. “Every model in the lineup goes faster, further and is more fun than ever before. These are not concepts. In less than three months, riders can see and purchase 2012 models at authorized Zero Motorcycles dealers.”
The Zero S, a street fighter, and Zero DS, a dual sport, are both available in a 6 or 9 kWh configuration. As measured by the EPA UDDS, the Zero S is capable of respectively achieving 76 or 114 miles. Both motorcycles offer a higher top speed, with the Zero DS hitting 80 mph and the Zero S topping out at 88 mph. Perhaps more importantly, both motorcycles offer a broad torque band and stealthy acceleration from 0 rpm that makes them incredibly fun to ride. In addition, all the street models, including the Zero XU, feature new brushless motors and regenerative braking that allow riders to recoup energy during deceleration. The Zero XU, a motorcycle designed for inner city riding, now uses the same maintenance-free belt drive system as the Zero S and Zero DS. Brushless air-cooled motors, life of motorcycle power packs and belt drive systems make Zero’s lineup of street models just about the world’s easiest to own form of transportation.
If you are interested in opening up new off-road riding possibilities with a nearly silent dirt bike, Zero has two models that are better looking and faster than ever before to meet your needs. For 2012, Zero streamlined its off-road model line. The Zero X, designed for trail riding, is now exclusively available with lights and is street-legal. With 33% more overall power and 75% greater range, it now uses the same championship winning powertrain as the Zero MX. Built for motocross riding and now exclusively available for off-road only, the Zero MX also received more power and offers riders the ability to accelerate harder and hit higher top speeds. Both off-road models have a bold new design that speaks to their more aggressive and longer lasting powertrain.
Each Zero Motorcycles model is 100% electric and, as a result, is sometimes applicable to receive government rebates or credits. Zero sells its motorcycles through dealerships and, in states or countries without dealerships, sells motorcycles through its website. Each motorcycle comes with a two year limited warranty and will begin shipping in February. Zero and its dealers will accept pre-orders from customers who would like to secure a new 2012 electric motorcycle. The complete pricing for each model is below.
MSRP: (ZF6) $11,495* | â‚¬11,495**
MSRP: (ZF9) $13,995* | â‚¬13,995**
MSRP: (ZF6) $11,495* | â‚¬11,495**
MSRP: (ZF9) $13,995* | â‚¬13,995**
MSRP: $7,695* | â‚¬7,695**
MSRP: $9,945* | â‚¬9,945**
MSRP: $9,495* | â‚¬9,495**
*Does not include local shipping, applicable taxes, PDI, or road registration fees.
**Includes Product, Shipping, and VAT. Does not include PDI or road registration fees.
About Zero Motorcycles
Zero Motorcycles is committed to transforming the motorcycling experience by bringing to market highly innovative electric motorcycles that offer exceptional value and performance. Zero is powered by innovation, driven by passion, guided by integrity, and measured by results. Through extensive research, insight and experience, Zero combines the art and science of motorcycle development to create and manufacture products that excite consumers and inspire brand loyalty. Zero is determined to be the pre-eminent global electric motorcycle company.