Click photos to enlarge. Our big, clean bike pics make great desktop wallpaper.
2014 Yamaha YZF-R6 Review
2014 Yamaha YZF-R6 on Totalmotorcycle.com
The R6 is the top racer’s choice of bikes in AMA Daytona Sportbike and Supersport racing. All you have to do is look at the starting grid and the results…
The Racer’s Choice.
From winning the Daytona 200 to conquering the urban maze, the 2014 Yamaha YZFR6 turns heads as effortlessly as it does corners. Light, powerful and bristling with nearly every cutting edge innovation, it features a taut, tunable chassis that lets it maneuver from upright to full lean instantly – and carve tight, perfect lines. If you’re searching for the ultimate 600, look no further.
The R6 was born on the racetrack. Its MotoGP-bred technology is tuned to give you the kind of outstanding engine and chassis performance usually reserved for professional racers. The R6 is full of innovations and technology, you just won’t find on the competitor’s machinery.
2014 Yamaha YZF-R6 Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
1 – Light, powerful, and bristling with knowledge gained from years of racing, the YZF-R6 is the most advanced production 600cc motorcycle Yamaha—or anybody else—has ever built.
2 – The YZF-R6 was the first production motorcycle with YCC-T® , Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle system-for flawless response under all conditions.
3 – YCC-I®, Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake, is used on the R6 to vary intake tract length for excellent cylinder filling and a broader powerband.
4 – Back torque-limiting slipper-type clutch greatly facilitates braking/downshifting from high speed. Close-ratio 6-speed transmission delivers seamless power and maximum acceleration.
Ultra-compact, lightweight, short stroke, 599cc, DOHC, 16-valve, liquid-cooled, in-line four-cylinder engine with lightweight titanium valves produces incredible horsepower. Redline is set at an amazing 16,000rpm.
Lightweight forged pistons feature thin top rings for great high rpm power. The pistons are secured by lightweight tapered type piston pins. The lightweight design means fast engine response.
Compact, lightweight aluminum Deltabox frame offers an optimized rigidity balance for incredibly light and agile handling. This frame is a MotoGP inspired innovation that Yamaha calls a “straight frame concept”. This means the top spars of the frame lie as close to possible to the frame’s torsional axis (the line connecting the head pipe to the swingarm pivot point).
2014 Yamaha YZF-R6 Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
• Ultra-compact, lightweight, short stroke, 599cc, DOHC, 16-valve, liquid-cooled, in-line four-cylinder engine with lightweight titanium valves produces incredible horsepower. Redline is set at an amazing 16,000rpm.
• 67mm bore and 42.5mm stroke provide a fast revving powerplant. Engine width is minimized thanks to Yamaha’s special casting technologies and “liner less” cylinder design.
• Compact “pent roof” cylinder head design features ultra lightweight titanium valves for both intake and exhaust. The intake valve angle is 11.5 degrees and the exhaust is 12.25 degress. The intake valves are 27mm in diameter while the exhaust valves are 23mm.
•Single intake valve springs reduce weight and “friction” for optimum high rpm performance. The valve retainers are made of lightweight aluminum.
•High flow intake and exhaust ports allow more fuel in and more exhaust out for great power delivery at all rpms.
• Lightweight magnesium cylinder head cover and case covers reduce weight.
•Separate cylinder block (the cylinder is not part of the upper crankcase) design utilizes ceramic composite plated “liner less” cylinder bores. The ceramic coating is sprayed directly on the aluminum block. The benefits are greater heat dissipation for consistent power delivery, reduced frictional power loss, reduced oil consumption and since there are no heavy liners, reduced weight too.
•Lightweight forged pistons feature thin top rings for great high rpm power. The pistons are secured by lightweight tapered type piston pins. The lightweight design means fast engine response.
•Lightweight crankshaft features 31mm bearing journals. The inertial crank mass has been optimized for excellent throttle response and impressive acceleration. The crank journal bearings feature special oil holes that increase the supply of oil for excellent durability.
•High lift / high performance, hollow, side-driven camshafts provide arm stretching power and strong acceleration.
•Automatic semi-hydraulic type cam chain tensioner reduces mechanical noise and maintenance.
•Closed loop Mikuni fuel injection system with 41mm throttle bodies features twin injectors (primary & secondary). This type of twin injector system is also found on our MotoGP M1 machine and the latest generation R1. Each of the injectors utilizes 12 spray holes to maximize the atomization process. The secondary injectors, located inside the air box, begin to function at mid rpms (6,000 to 7,000rpm) thru to redline. Special short intake tracts allow for higher rpms and improved power.
•Yamaha Chip Control Throttle (YCC-T) is another 1st for Yamaha. This system electronically controls the throttle valves for outstanding response and improved controllability at high rpms. The system features Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and D.C. motor driven throttle valves. The YCC-T is used to provide even more control of the intake air volume for a smoother torque character. This ECU that controls the YCC-T is capable of responding to changes at a speed of 1000th of a second.
•YCC-I or Yamaha’s Chip Controlled Intake system means the intake funnels / stacks vary in length between 2 pre-set positions depending on engine rpms. The transition rpm is approximately 13,700 rpms. An electronic servo motor varies the funnels. The revolutionary YCC-I provides the best of both worlds …solid low rpm torque and power combined with an amazing high rpm rush. It takes only 0.3 of a second for the funnels to move from the tall to the short position.
• Yamaha’s exclusive YCC-I electric-control servo motor-driven variable intake funnel system is a world’s 1st on a production motorcycle and works in conjunction with Yamaha’s fly-by-wire technology and FI systems.
•7.6 litre air box utilizes a high flow viscous paper type air filter.
•Ram Air Induction System with centrally located intake duct delivers cool, high-pressure air “force-fed” into the intake tract for optimal combustion and greater horsepower at higher speeds. This design provides straight induction from the central fairing duct to the air box without a lot of bends or turns.
•Close ratio 6-speed transmission delivers seamless power delivery and maximum acceleration. Gear widths, splines and engagement dogs have been optimized to handle the R6’s power. The shift drum and shifting mechanism are located on the right side of the cases for smooth shifting feel under power. The gears use flat contact-type engagement dogs for positive shifting and great durability.
• The “Tri-Axis” or stacked transmission design creates a more compact engine front to back that allows for optimum engine placement in the “sweet spot” of the frame for optimized weight distribution and incredible handling.
• Slipper or back limiter clutch assembly reduces rear wheel hop when making hard down shifts or under hard braking. Key benefit is reduced lap times and smoother control when participating in either a race or track day. This clutch uses 9 paper based friction plates and 8 steel plates, plus 6 coil-type clutch springs.
• The oil lubrication system has been optimized to reduce frictional loses caused by “oil drag”. It features a “two side” oil pump. There is a separate liquid-cooled oil cooler to ensure consistent engine temperatures for maximum performance and extended service life.
•High capacity cooling system features a curved radiator with dual ring-type fans for excellent engine cooling efficiency. The ring-type fan offers more airflow than a conventional type fan.
• Maintenance-free transistor-controlled digital ignition (TCI) ensures fast starts and great performance at all rpms.
• Direct ignition coils, iridium dual electrode spark plugs and high-output magneto deliver reliable, super strong spark. With this system, the ignition coils are integrated into the plug caps, significantly reducing weight.
•”Mid Ship” 4-into-2-into-1 exhaust maximizes engine performance. The header pipe diameter and length have been optimized for excellent flow. There are three, 3-way honeycomb catalyziers with an oxygen sensor in the system to reduce harmful HC & CO exhaust emissions. The oxygen sensor provides feedback to the ECU so it can adjust for the optimum fuel/air mixture. The “mid ship” MotoGP style, lightweight titanium muffler is located below the engine to central mass and lower the center of gravity for great handling.
• The exhaust system also features Yamaha’s EXUP System (Exhaust Ultimate Power Valve) utilizing a titanium body and butterfly valves that prevent the “blow back” phenomenon caused by “valve overlap”. This design reduces weight and maximizes cornering clearance. The EXUP system eliminates “flat spots” in the power band and reduces emissions too. This is a 1st on a 600cc supersport machine.
• High powered 32 bit electronic control unit actually contains three ECUs inside the main ECU to control the FI system, the YCC-T system and the ignition mapping system.
•Air Injection System (AIS… not ram air) injects fresh air into the exhaust ports to fully burn any unburnt fuel in order to reduce harmful CO & HC exhaust emissions
• Compact, lightweight aluminum Deltabox frame offers an optimized total rigidity balance for incredibly light and agile handling. This frame is a MotoGP inspired innovation that Yamaha calls a “straight frame concept”. This means the top spars of the frame lie as close to possible to the frame’s torsional axis (the line connecting the head pipe to the swingarm pivot point). The ram air duct passes through the frame at the head pipe for a straight ram air effect too. A mix of mold castings and pressed aluminum plates make up the frame. The engine is a fully stressed chassis member allowing for a super-light frame design.
• Lightweight, detachable magnesium rear subframe. The detachable design allows rear shock access and is less costly in the event of damage.
• Lightweight, aluminum “gull wing” type swingarm uses a mix of castings and pressed plates for optimum rigidity. The swingarm pivot position has been optimized to reduce the “squat” tendencies caused by drive chain reaction to hard throttle openings.
• Key chassis geometry figures include: 1380mm wheelbase, 24 degree caster angle, 97mm of trail and a 52.5% front and 47.5% rear weight balance. The maximum lean angle is a knee scraping 57 degrees.
•Fully adjustable 41mm inverted front fork provides 115mm (4.5″) of wheel travel and offers incredible suspension performance with ultra-precise feedback. Adjustments include: 5-way spring preload, 4-way high speed compression damping, 20-way low speed compression damping and 25-way rebound damping. The inverted design not only reduces unsprung weight but also increases the rigidity of the fork. The range of adjustments allows the rider to tune suspension to match riding style and road or track conditions.
• Upper triple clamp features a 30mm offset for precise handing and great steering feel. The lightweight aluminum clip-ons are mounted below the triple clamp.
•Fully adjustable Monocross link rear suspension utilizes a piggyback-style shock providing 120mm (4.7″) of wheel travel. Shock adjustments include: 9-steps of spring preload adjustability, 4-way high speed compression damping, 20-way low speed compression damping and 18-way rebound damping adjustability. The piggy back design helps to keep the shock oil cool for more consistent damping.
•Radial mount, monoblock, 4-piston calipers squeeze large 310mm dual front discs. The radial mounting design helps to reduce caliper distortion for improved braking performance with excellent control and good lever feedback. The disc carriers are made from aluminium for reduced weight while the sinter metal pads provide incredible stopping power.
•Brembo radial pump master cylinder features a 16mm piston. The radial design allows for more powerful braking and improved lever feedback. The lever is adjustable for various hand sizes.
• Light weight 220mm rear disc brake is squeezed by a single-piston caliper
• Lightweight five-spoke 17″ wheels reduce unsprung weight by making hub and spokes a single structural unit. A special casting technique makes the rim section substantially lighter and stronger.
• Ultra-sleek “new edge form” bodywork features a sharp front profile with centrally located Ram Air duct, engine-revealing side cowlings and ultra-sleek tail section. There are special side fairing intake ducts to allow cool air to circulate around the engine, fuel tank and frame areas. “Minimalism” and “mass forward” movement are two words that best describe this design body.
•17-litre fuel tank provides excellent rider ergonomics and an aggressive riding position. The reserve portion of the tank is 3.5 liters. The tank features a front tank cover like the R1 and an internal electric fuel pump.
• Separate rider and passenger seats. An optional rear seat cowl is available.
•Dual 55 watt H7 “cat eye” headlights. These lights not only cast a bright beam of light, but also feature a sleek profile for superb aerodynamics.
•Compact race inspired multi-function digital and analog instrumentation with adjustable back lighting. Features: analog tach, digital speedometer, dual tripmeters, low fuel warning light, fuel tripmeter, and clock. There is also a programmable shift light and stop watch/lap timer that is controlled by the LHS handlebar mounted switch gear.
• Single lens LED taillight provides excellent visibility, extended service life and uses less power than conventional bulbs.
•Immobilizer ignition system is designed to reduce the possibility of “ride away” theft. This system must recognize the “coded ignition key” in order for the unit to start. If the immobilizer ignition does not recognize the key (or a theft’s screwdriver or other type of “jimmy tool”) the bike will not start even if the ignition is turned or forced into the on position. If the system does not recognize the correct coded ignition key, the ignition system and starter will not function.
•Adjustable front brake lever
• Special 525 lightweight O-ring chain is used to reduce weight
• Lightweight aluminum side stand and chain adjusters
• Lightweight low maintenance sealed gel-type battery
The YZF-R6 offers a significant level of power and performance. It is not intended for novice or inexperienced riders.
2014 Yamaha YZF-R6 – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $11,190 (Team Yamaha Blue/White) 49St / September, CA / October; $10,990 (Matte Gray) 49St / September, CA / October; $11,190 (Rapid Red/Pearl White) 49St / September, CA / October USD
Type 599cc liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder; DOHC, 16 titanium valves
Bore x Stroke 67.0 x 42.5mm
Compression Ratio 13.1:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission 6-speed w/multiplate slipper clutch
Final Drive O-ring chain
Suspension / Front 41mm inverted fork; 4-way adjustable, 4.5-in travel
Suspension / Rear Single shock; 4-way adjustable, 4.7-in travel
Brakes / Front Dual 310mm floating disc; radial-mount 4-piston calipers
Brakes / Rear 220mm disc; single-piston caliper
Tires / Front 120/70-ZR17 58W
Tires / Rear 180/55-ZR17 73W
Length 80.3 in
Width 27.8 in
Height 43.1 in
Seat Height 33.5 in
Wheelbase 54.1 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 24°
Trail 3.8 in
Oil Capacity (with oil filter change) 2.75 qt
Fuel Capacity 4.5 gal
Fuel Economy** 40 mpg
Wet Weight*** 417 lb
Primary Reduction Ratio 85/41 (2.073)
Secondary Reduction Ratio 45/16 (2.813)
Gear Ratio – 1st Gear 31/12 (2.583)
Gear Ratio – 2nd Gear 32/16 (2.000)
Gear Ratio – 3rd Gear 30/18 (1.667)
Gear Ratio – 4th Gear 26/18 (1.444)
Gear Ratio – 5th Gear 27/21 (1.286)
Gear Ratio – 6th Gear 23/20 (1.150)
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
2014 Yamaha YZF-R6 – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $11,999.00 CDN
Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valves (titanium), in-line four
BORE AND STROKE
67 x 42.5 mm
6.6 kg-m (47.7 ft-lb) @ 11,500 rpm
YCC-T & YCC-I
41 mm Mikuni throttle body F.I.
ESTIMATED FUEL CONSUMPTION±
17kpl / 48mpg (Imp.)
IGNITION / STARTING
TCI / Electric
Fully adjustable 41mm inverted cartridge fork
Fully adjustable link Monocross
Dual 310mm discs – 4 piston calipers
220mm disc – single piston caliper
/// CRITICAL DATA
RAKE / TRAIL
24° / 97mm (3.8″)
17 litres (3.7 imp.gallons)
189 kg (417 lbs.)
Matte Metallic Grey
2014 Yamaha YZF-R6 – Totalmotorcycle.com UK/Europe Specifications/Technical Details
UK/European MSRP Price: £NA.
Details to follow shortly.
2014 Yamaha YZF-R6 – Totalmotorcycle.com Australian Specifications/Technical Details
AU MSRP Price: See dealer for pricing AUD
Details to follow shortly.
Specifications, features and prices to change by manufacturer without notice. All information correct as of posted date.