Click photos to enlarge. Our big, clean bike pics make great desktop wallpaper.
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES Review
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES on www.Totalmotorcycle.com
The Ultimate Transcontinental Adventurer…
The 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES has everything you need to conquer the world: powerful, ultra compact 1199cc parallel inline twin; electric cruise control; 6 speed transmission; YCC-T and 2 position Drive Mode; traction control; advanced ABS brakes; adjustable seat, and pushbutton electronically adjustable suspension. Pack your passport!
Sophistication is the name of the game with the 2015 Super TÃ©nÃ©rÃ© ES. Does the convenience of adjusting your suspension without ever getting off your bike sound interesting? With the simple push of a button, you can adjust both preload and damping settings, it is that simple. Add heated grips and a cruise control system to the mix and you have a machine that is truly worthy of being called the Ultimate Transcontinental Adventurer.
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
/// Key Highlights
• Compact, 1199cc parallel twin featuring a unique 270° crank and dual balancer shafts
• Wide-ratio 6-speed transmission
• Yamaha’s Chip Controlled Throttle with D-Modes (2-position)
• Cruise control system
• KYB electronically adjustable suspension system
• Multi-function meter with DOT Matrix liquid crystal display and GPS holder bar
• No tools required, 4-position adjustable windshield
• Aluminum tapered handlebar, compact LED signals, and heated grips
The Super TÃ©nÃ©rÃ© ES is built for adventure, with an exceptionally narrow and compact 1199cc parallel twin using a unique 270° crank for excellent torque and traction. It features a number of advanced rider assistance technologies for the highest levels of engine control and rider comfort. Engine mass is kept low for surprisingly light, agile handling. Its wide-ratio 6-speed transmission has the right gear, whether on the open highway or off-road. Discover your adventurous side.
In addition to the KYB electronic suspension, the ’15 Super TÃ©nÃ©rÃ© ES also features a electronic cruise control system, heated grips and a tools free 4-position adjustable windshield. Whether touring across North America, carving up a twisty road or exploring a deserted fire road, the Super TÃ©nÃ©rÃ© ES offers outstanding long distance touring performance, convenience and comfort.
•The Super TÃ©nÃ©rÃ© ES is built for adventure, with an exceptionally compact 1199cc parallel twin using a unique 270° crank for excellent torque and traction. Engine mass is kept low for great handling. Narrow 2-cylinder inline engine is slim and compact for carving tight lines in twisty mountain roads.
•New electronically adjusted suspension makes finding the right setting as easy as pushing a button. With four pre-load settings, three damping adjustments and an additional seven damping fine-tuning adjustments, the Super TÃ©nÃ©rÃ© ES suspension can be dialed perfectly to meet the needs of the rider, passenger and the amount of cargo and terrain.
•Wide-ratio 6-speed transmission has the right gear, whether on the open highway or off-road.
•Twin downdraft throttle body fuel injection with YCC-T® (Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle) delivers optimum throttle control and acceleration. Two-position “D-Mode” (Drive Mode) throttle response mapping for rider preference.
•Traction control lets the rider get on the gas with more confidence. This very advanced system regulates ignition timing, fuel injection and throttle valve opening based on wheel spin, providing a smooth response that is not abrupt like the competitors. Three modes available to match rider preference, including off.
•Super TÃ©nÃ©rÃ© ES has both an Antilock Braking System (ABS) and Unified Braking System (UBS). With UBS, squeezing the front brake alone also provides some rear-wheel braking; pressing the rear brake first overrides UBS for traditional separate front and rear braking action.
•Whether riding across town or crossing a continent, rider comfort and convenience are important. Super TÃ©nÃ©rÃ© ES delivers, with an adjustable seat height and windshield, tunable front and rear suspension, low-maintenance shaft drive, and more.
•Multi-function carrier system on back is ready for optional luggage and touring accessories.
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES www.Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
• 1199cc, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve, inline twin produces serious torque and horsepower.
• Engine is slanted 26 degrees forward, allowing for the use of a downdraft intake system and at the same time lowering the centre of gravity for lighter handling
• 4-valve cylinder head design. The DOHC valve train features 37mm intake and 31mm exhaust valves. Valve angles are 12.5 degrees for the intakes and 14 degrees from centre for the exhaust, creating a compact combustion chamber. The valves feature an Isonite coating on the tips for excellent durability.
• 4-valve cylinder head features 2 spark plugs per cylinder which shortens the flame diffusion time and speeds combustion for excellent torque character.
• Valve adjustment interval is 42,000 kms.
• Automatic hydraulic cam chain tensioner reduces both maintenance and mechanical engine noise.
• Short skirt, forged aluminum pistons provide fast throttle response and also reduce reciprocating mass for less mechanical vibration.
• 270 degree crankshaft with uneven firing order (270 & 450 degrees) is used for superior traction and throttle control. This crank design and firing order reduces “inertial torque” providing more linear throttle response and improved rear wheel traction.
• Carburized connecting rods provide strength and durability. Carburizing is a heat treating process that increases the carbon content on the outer surface of the rod, increasing its strength and durability.
• Ceramic composite cylinder “bores” are a “liner less” design with the ceramic coating applied directly to the aluminum block to ensure uniform heat dissipation for consistent power delivery, reduced oil consumption, reduced friction and reduced weight.
• Dual, front and rear gear driven balancer shafts reduce engine vibration for great rider and passenger comfort
• Single, side mounted (LHS) radiator with ring-type cooling fan keeps engine temperatures consistent for optimum performance. The side location lessens the overall length of the bike and eliminates the possibility of the rad being damaged by debris being kicked up by the front wheel.
• Dry sump lubrication system eliminates the deep design oil pan. The oil tank is integrated in the engine cases. This design helps increase ground clearance, reduces weight and centralizes mass.
• Easy access spin-on type oil filter and drain plug make oil changes fast and easy.
• Dual bore, 46mm Mikuni throttle body fuel injection system with TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and APS (Accelerator Position Sensor). This is a “closed loop” system that utilizes oxygen sensors in both header pipes. The sensors “sniff” the spent exhaust gases and feeds info back to the ECU which in turn adjusts the fuel/air mixture for maximum power with minimum emissions. The oxygen sensor is located before the muffler, so the use of a slip-on muffler will not affect this system.
• Denso injectors utilize 12 holes and a 20 degree spray pattern for excellent fuel atomization, more complete combustion chamber filling and instant throttle response. One injector per cylinder. Fuel injection benefits include excellent fuel economy; choke-less starting, reduced emissions, and smoother running.
• Yamaha’s Chip Control Throttle (YCC-T) electronically controls the throttle valves for outstanding response and improved controllability at all rpms. The YCC-T is used to provide even more control of the intake air volume for a smoother torque character. Special main ECU actually features 3 internal ECUs to control ignition, fuel injection and the YCC-T. The ECU that controls the YCC-T is capable of responding to changes at a speed of 1000th of a second.
• The rider can “mechanically close” the throttles by simply closing the throttle twist grip.
• Traction control function works in conjunction with YCC-T and the ABS systems. Utilizing front and rear wheel sensors, this system senses when the rear wheel begins to spin and modifies the ignition timing and fuel injection to reduce power and eliminate wheel spin. This system features 2 operating modes; TCS1 which completely eliminates wheel spin and TCS2 which will allow limited wheel spin. The system can also be turned off for those occasions when rear wheel spin is desired.
• Yamaha D-Mode variable throttle control, also a function of the YCC-T, enables the rider to adjust the performance characteristics of the engine based on riding conditions or rider preferences. The “S mode” provides instant throttle response, while the “T mode” provides slower response for more “relaxed” engine power delivery. The D-Mode switch is located on the R.H.S. handlebar switch gear.
• Electronic cruise control system is also part of the YCC-T functions. The control buttons are located on the L.H.S. handlebar switch gear. The “settable range” is from 50 to 160 km/hr and the transmission must be in 3rd gear or higher. The cruise system can be cancelled by activating front or rear brakes, pulling in the clutch, completely closing the throttle grip or using the activation button.
• Wide ratio 6-speed transmission utilizes optimized gear ratios suited for a wide variety of riding conditions. Top gear is an overdrive gear delivering reduced rpms at highway speeds for relaxed, long-distance comfort.
• Low maintenance hydraulic clutch provides a light, linear, consistent clutch feel.
• Heavy duty wet clutch uses 9 friction and 8 steel plates.
• Low maintenance, compact shaft drive system utilizes a hypoid type final gear. A hypoid gear design allows the use of a smaller ring gear, thereby reducing the size and weight of the housing. Reducing unsprung weight enhances handling.
• High performance direct ignition coils (ignition coil is built into the spark plug cap) reduce weight while iridium spark plugs and high-output magneto deliver increased spark energy.
• Automatic decompression device means fast, easy starting. The benefit is the starter motor can be made smaller and lighter since the load on it is reduced.
• 2 into 1 exhaust system features a honeycomb style catalyzer to reduce emissions. Compact “elliptical” shaped, short design muffler helps reduce machine width. Muffler heat shield protects rider and passenger.
• Compact 600 watt (@ 5,000rpms) AC magneto provides lots of electrical power.
• Backbone-style high tensile steel frame uses the engine as a stressed member. Steel pipe is used for its excellent strength – rigidity balance and more inherent softness than aluminum (for comfort). The engine is mounted low in the frame and allows for a fuel tank design which lowers the centre of gravity for a lighter riding feel.
• Detachable aluminum rear sub frame reduces weight. The rear frame has been designed to withstand the rigors and load associated with adventure riding.
• Long design, low pressure cast, and aluminum swingarm. This casting method offers superior strength since it reduces the amount of gas / air trapped in the material making it stronger. The long design contributes to stability and handling. The left side of the arm “houses” the drive shaft.
• Electronically adjustable 43mm KYB inverted fork offer 190mm (7.5.”) of wheel travel. Adjustments include compression and rebound damping.
• Electronically adjustable link Monocross rear suspension with KYB shock offers 190mm (7.5″) of wheel travel. Adjustments include spring pre-load and damping.
• This “linked” electronic suspension asks the rider to choose from one of four pre-sets for “load” (solo / solo & luggage / dual / dual & luggage). Once the load setting has been chosen, the system automatically adjusts both the front and rear damping rates based on the load setting chosen. If a rider wishes to “tune” the damping settings further, there are 3 “main ” settings (soft / std / hard) to choose from. Within each of these 3 main settings, there are another 7- “fine tuning” settings available, providing a total of 21 damping settings that a rider can choose from. The “load” setting must be chosen / adjusted while the unit is running but stopped. All other tuning can be done “on the fly”. All adjustments are done via buttons on the L.H.S. switch gear. Suspension setting menu and adjustments can be viewed in the DOT matrix section of the instrument panel. A duty cycle motor controls the “load” settings while stepping motors vary the oil flow rate in the forks & shock (damping adjustments). The design allows a rider easily tailor suspension settings to match load and road conditions. This system is very similar to the one found on the FJR1300E.
• A special “SCU” or suspension control unit controls the electronic suspension. It features a diagnostic mode too.
• Tapered aluminum handlebars reduce weight. Handlebar position and bend have been designed to be both versatile and comfortable whether the rider is standing or sitting.
• Variable heated grips with up to 10 levels of heat, keep hands warm on cool days or evenings. Grip settings and status is shown in the LCD multi-function meter assembly.
• ABS equipped dual 310mm “wave style” floating front discs are squeezed by ultra rigid 4-piston monoblock calipers. The master cylinder features a 16mm piston. Braking performance is excellent and offers good “feedback” to the rider.
• ABS equipped “wave-style” 282mm rear disc is squeezed by a single piston, slide-type rear caliper. The rear master cylinder uses a 14mm piston to deliver strong, progressive stopping power with excellent control and feel.
• The ABS or Anti-Lock Braking System features Yamaha’s latest generation independent linear controlled system with step-less, infinitely variable hydraulic pressure adjustment. The ABS unit, the ECU and the hydraulic unit are combined into a single compact unit that allows for mass centralization. This system uses the same wheel sensors as the traction control system, further reducing weight. When the ABS system senses impending wheel lock-up, the system regulates the hydraulic pressure to the point just before the wheel or wheels lock-up. The benefit of ABS is excellent control under hard braking or when braking on wet, slippery or loose surfaces. The ABS system helps prevents wheel lock up.
• Unified Brake System is combined with the ABS system. When the front brake is activated, an electronic control applies some rear wheel braking force as well. The amount of rear braking force is dependent upon how hard the front brake has been applied, unit speed and the amount of load on the unit. If the rear brake is applied prior to the front brake, it cancels the unified braking system temporarily (there may be times on difficult terrain when a rider does not want the unified system to activate).
• Large capacity, steel 23 litre fuel tank features a design which locates the lower portion of the tank behind the air box and the cylinders to keep weight lower in the chassis for a light handling feel. The reserve portion is 3.9 litres.
• Tubeless design rims. A “double T” type rim is used on the front wheel, featuring 2 -raised “rails” that the spokes attach to, allowing for the use of tubeless tires and providing the optimum spoke angle for excellent strength and durability. The rear rim uses a single raised rail design. Front and rear tires are radials. The tubeless design offers the ability to perform emergency road side repairs.
• Dual, cat-eye, projector type H7, 55 / 55 watt headlights provide a serious beam of light for extra confidence when riding after dark. A solenoid moves the shade that controls the projector headlight function.
• Adjustable touring focused rider and passenger seats. The rider portion offers two different height settings. The low position is 845mm (33.3″) off the ground while the tall position is 870mm (34.3″). It takes only seconds to make the adjustment and no tools are required. The passenger seat is removable.
• Multi-function plastic resin rear rack. In standard form it is a conventional rack / carrier. It also functions as a mount for the accessory 30 litre top box. And finally, there is an additional carrier built in under the passenger seat. When the passenger seat is removed, and the spacer below the rack is removed, it provides a longer, flatter platform, providing maximum rack area / space for a sleeping bag and tent for example.
• The combination rubber / steel rider footrests offer the best of two worlds. When sitting, the rider’s foot is resting on the vibration damping rubber inserts. When standing the rubbers compress and expose the serrated edges of the steel pegs providing additional grip for more technical riding.
• Multi-function meter assembly. Left side features digital tach and speedo, plus fuel gauge, clock and status indicators for traction control, D-modes, and Eco System. The right side utilizes a DOT Matrix LCD display, which includes odometer, dual trip meters, outside air temp, coolant temp, instant fuel consumption, average fuel consumption, estimated travel range (based on remaining fuel), time trip and low fuel trip meter. Other functions include grip heater status and gear position indicator. There are also a full range of warning and indicator lights as well, including cruise control and ABS status. The ECO indicator is a light that indicates the bike is being ridden in a manner that conserves fuel. Background illumination is adjustable.
• Sculptured 2- piece half fairing is a “form following function” design and offers an unobstructed view, excellent air management as well as good wind and weather protection.
• Convenient, 12 volt DC outlet in the fairing dash for GPS, cell phone or other uses.
• 4-position, no tools required, adjustable windscreen for improved wind protection. The range of adjustment is 60mm or 2.3″. Both height and attack angle change as the windshield is moved. Cross bar can be used to mount a GPS holder.
• Frame mounted composite tip over protectors on the left and right sides of the lower edge of the fairing offer good protection not only for the fairing but also the side mounted rad and battery.
• Quick release fasteners are used on the lower / mid fairings for quick access to the rad and selected electrical components.
• Immobilizer ignition system reduces the possibility of “ride away” theft. This system must recognize the “coded ignition key” in order for the unit to start. If the key is not recognized, the bike’s electrical system will not activate, even if ignition is turned or forced into the on position.
/// Additional features
• Lightweight, magnesium cylinder head and clutch covers
• LED turn signals
• Centre and side stands
• 5-position adjustable front brake lever
• 4-position adjustable clutch lever
• Low maintenance 11 amp hour, sealed battery
• Brilliant LED taillight
• Rugged plastic handlebar mounted brush guards
• Dash board mounted 12 volt DC outlet
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES – www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $16,190 – Candy Red – Available from December 2014 – CA model from January 2015
Engine Type 1199cc, liquid-cooled, 4-stroke 2-cylinder DOHC
Bore x Stroke 98.0 x 79.5mm
Compression Ratio 11.0:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel Injection with YCC-T
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission Constant mesh, 6-speed
Final Drive Shaft
Suspension / Front Telescopic fork, 43mm tube, adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping, 7.5-in travel
Suspension / Rear Monoshock, adjustable preload and rebound damping, 7.5-in travel
Brakes / Front Dual 310mm hydraulic disc, ABS/Unified Brake System
Brakes / Rear 282mm single disc
Tires / Front 110/80R19M/C 59V
Tires / Rear 150/70R17M/C 69V
Length 88.8 in
Width 38.6 in
Height 55.5 in
Seat Height 33.3 or 34.3 in
Wheelbase 60.6 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 28.0°
Fuel Capacity 6.1 gal
Fuel Economy** 43 mpg
Wet Weight*** 584 lb
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES – www.Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $17,599 CDN
Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 8-valves (4-valves / cyl), inline twin
BORE AND STROKE
98 x 79.5mm
11.9 kg-m (86 ft-lbs.) @ 6,000 rpm
YCC-T, D-Mode, Traction Control & Cruise Control
Mikuni 46mm throttle body F.I
ESTIMATED FUEL CONSUMPTION±
16.5kpl / 47mpg (Imp.)
IGNITION / STARTING
TCI / Electric
Electronically adjustable KYB inverted 43mm fork / 190mm (7.5″) travel
Electronically adjustable KYB link Monocross / 190mm (7.5″) travel
Dual 310mm discs / 4-piston calipers (ABS & Unified)
282mm disc / single piston caliper (ABS & Unified)
/// CRITICAL DATA
1,410mm (55.5″) to 1470mm (57.9″)
RAKE / TRAIL
28 degrees / 126mm
845mm (33.3″) or 870mm (34.3″)
23 litres (5.1 Imp. gal.)
265kg (584 lbs)
Deep Metallic Red
Specifications, appearance, and price of product are subject to change without notice.
* MSRP does not include freight, PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection), pre-rigging (boats), or taxes. Dealer may sell for less. See your local dealer for out the door pricing.
± Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).