Click photos to enlarge. Our big, clean bike pics make great desktop wallpaper.
2015 Yamaha YZF-R3 Review
2015 Yamaha YZF-R3 on www.Totalmotorcycle.com
Welcome to the R World…
Introducing the easist way to enter the world of Yamaha R-series superbike performance. The all new 2015 Yamah R3 features a class-leading, fuel injected 321cc, liquid cooled engine, a slim, lightweight chassis for agile handling’ and legendary Yamaha superbike styling, all at super value. It is the ultimate 300cc sportbike.
Yamaha has raised the bar in the entry sports class with the exciting new “R3”. Sporting a new twin cylinder 320 cc engine and an all new chassis, the R3 offers a solid combination of class-leading power and light, agile handling. Add in the incredible MotoGP inspired M1 race bike styling, plus an easy to ride personality and you have the perfect recipe for a super fun riding experience !
2015 Yamaha YZF-R3 www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
•Large 321cc twin-cylinder engine offers excellent performance whether navigating cross-town traffic, hitting the twisties, or on the racetrack.
•Yamaha supersport inspired styling with a full fairing in a chassis that makes it perfect for first time riders or experienced riders who prefer a lightweight, nimble machine.
•Forged pistons just like the R1 and R6 are both lightweight and provide strength while the offset cylinders reduce friction for more power.
•The YZF-R3 offers a riding position that is very comfortable and the clip-on handlebars deliver a sporty rider position.
•With a seat height of only 30.7 inches and a flat seat design on the YZF-R3, it’s easy to get both feet firmly on the ground and inspire confidence, especially for beginner riders.
•Three beautiful livery options are available which means there is a color choice that is right for you.
Powering the new R3 is a 320 cc, DOHC, parallel twin featuring a 4-valve cylinder head, 32 mm throttle body fuel injection and 6-speed transmission. Dig a bit deeper and you will find many of the high tech features found in our R6 power plant inside this new engine too. Highway speeds are easily obtainable making the R3 a very versatile machine.
/// Easy Riding
The new R3 has been designed to provide a fun, enjoyable riding experience. To that end, the R3 utilizes a lightweight diamond type steel frame which is narrow and compact with a low 780mm (30.7″) seat height. Despite the cool super sport styling, the R3 offers a comfortable, upright riding position which reduces rider fatigue and increases the fun factor.
Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A. Introduces All-New 2015 YZF-R3
Cypress, CA October 16, 2014 –Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A. is proud to announce the newest member to join the acclaimed R-Series, the all-new YZF-R3.
Bred from the ground up using Yamaha R Series DNA the YZF-R3 features a 320cc, liquid-cooled, in-line two-cylinder, DOHC, fuel injected engine tuned to deliver excellent power and performance throughout the powerband.
Legendary R-Series styling with a full fairing gives the YZF-R3 that destined for the racetrack look and the low seat height of 30.7” make it available to a wide variety of riders looking for their first motorcycle or just prefer a lightweight, nimble machine.
The YZF-R3 features top notch components like KYB front suspension, lightweight aluminum 10-spoke wheels and a newly designed compact LCD instrument panel that displays all the important data at a glance.
The YZF-R3 will be available in three color options—Team Yamaha Blue/Matte Silver, Rapid Red and Raven––and will retail for just $4,990, with bikes available in dealerships beginning in March 2015.
2015 Yamaha YZF-R3 www.Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
• All new, lightweight and compact 320cc, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 8-valves (4-valves/cyl), fuel injected, inline-twin cylinder engine. The engine has been designed to provide solid performance right across the rev range, with very linear throttle response, low vibration and excellent fuel economy. This engine is designed to maximize riding fun in the real world.
• Downdraft style combustion chamber features 4-valves per cylinder, a straight intake path into the combustion chamber and an 11.2:1 compression ratio for excellent power output. Four valves per cylinder enhances the low to midrange torque.
• The YZF-R3 uses regular gas
•Intake valves are 26 mm in diameter and exhaust valves are 22.5 mm. The valve angle is set at 24.75 degrees (intake = 12 degrees & exhaust = 12.75 degrees) to keep the combustion chamber compact. The valves feature an Isonite surface treatment on the stems for improved durability and wear resistance. They also feature carbon cutters on the stems to help reduce carbon build-up when the unit is being used for prolonged slow speed operation to maintain strong engine output.
• Valve adjustment interval is every 24,000 kms. Oil change interval is 5,000 kms after the initial 1,000 km break-in oil change
• Automatic cam chain tensioner reduces mechanical engine noise and maintenance.
• Lightweight, all aluminum DiASil cylinder (die cast all aluminum cylinder) offers outstanding cooling performance / heat dissipation for consistent power delivery and reduced weight since there are no heavy liners.
• Offset cylinder / crank design offsets the cylinder 7mm relative to the crankshaft (to the exhaust side) to reduce frictional losses between the pistons and the cylinder wall during the power stroke for improved power output and improved fuel economy.
• Lightweight forged aluminum pistons provide fast engine response, reduced weight, reduced mechanical vibration and excellent strength.
• Newly designed 180 degree crankshaft with an uneven firing order helps to reduce “pumping losses” for maximum power output while producing an interesting exhaust note.
• A lightweight, gear driven “primary coupled-force” balancer shaft is used to reduce engine vibration and mechanical noise for excellent rider comfort.
• Carburized connecting rods (a form heat treating) provide excellent durability.
• 32 mm dual bore throttle body fuel injection system utilizes an idle speed control (ISC) to maintain a steady idle regardless of engine temperature. The injectors feature 12 holes for excellent fuel atomization.
• This is a closed loop fuel injection system, with an oxygen sensor that monitors the amount of oxygen in the spent exhaust gases and adjusts the fuel -air mixture via the ECU and FI system for maximum performance with minimum emissions. The benefits of fuel injection include choke-free starting, steady idling during warm up, excellent fuel economy, and reduced emissions. The system has been “tuned” to provide excellent “ride ability” due to the “linear” throttle control.
• Air box utilizes a viscous paper type air filter.
• Compact, 6-speed transmission with ratios specially designed to suit the character (torque & power) of the engine. Both 5th and 6th gears are overdrive gears to reduce engine rpms at highway speeds for a comfortable ride.
• Compact, wet-type, multi-plate clutch ensures consistent, positive engagement and a light lever pull.
• Compact, low mounted, 2 into 1 exhaust system utilizes a short design muffler fitted with a 3-way catalyzer to reduce harmful CO and HC exhaust emissions. The low mounted design centralizes mass for easy, agile handling and a lightweight feeling.
• Lightweight, flat radiator with cooling fan provides maximum cooling efficiency.
• Maintenance-free transistor-controlled ignition (TCI) ensures fast starts and great performance at all rpms.
• Easy access spin-on type oil filter and engine oil drain plug.
• Air Induction System (AIS … not ram air) reduces harmful HC and CO emissions for a cleaner environment.
• All new, lightweight, diamond-type, high tensile, semi-trellis steel frame provides an optimized rigidity balance for light, agile handling with excellent stability. The engine is a stressed member of the chassis, allowing a lighter, more compact main frame design. The frame features a mix of both solid and rubber engine mounts. Electrostatic paint process helps reduce corrosion.
• The riding position is one of the most important features of the R3. Although the R3 features a super sport appearance, it offers a balance between sporty handling and excellent rider comfort thanks to its upright riding position.
• Key chassis geometry figures include: 1380 mm (54.3″) wheelbase, 25 degrees of rake and 95 mm of trail. The front to rear weight distribution is almost 50 /50, highlighting the sporty nature of the R3. The chassis dimensions and shape have been designed to centralize mass and lower the centre of gravity to provide the rider with light, agile handling.
• Stylish, tapered, long design, high tensile steel swingarm offers great rear wheel control and the most efficient transmission of power to the rear wheel.
• 41mm KYB conventional style fork offers 130mm (5.1″) of wheel travel. Plastic chip guards help prevent damage to the inner tubes.
• Lightweight aluminum upper and lower triple clamps
• Adjustable Monocross link-less rear suspension features a single KYB rear shock adjustable for 7-positions of spring pre-load. This adjustment allows the rider to tailor pre-load settings to match rider weight or load. Rear wheel travel is 125 mm or 4.9″
• 298 mm floating front disc is squeezed by a twin piston caliper which provides solid stopping power with good feeling. Brake power and feel are tailored towards new riders.
• 220 mm rear disc is squeezed by a lightweight single piston slide-type caliper.
• Lightweight and stylish, cast-aluminum 10-spoke mag wheels reduce unsprung weight for great handling and suspension performance. The front wheel is an MT2.75-17 and is fitted with a 110/70-17 tire. The rear wheel is a MT4.00 fitted with a 140/70-17 tire.
• Light weight hollow axles front & rear
• Clip-on style handlebars provide a super sport image but offer a comfortable, more upright riding position since they are mounted above the top triple clamp.
• 14-litre fuel tank offers a slim design with great knee grip. The “reserve” portion of the tank is 3 litres (low fuel light will illuminate). The tank is steel with a tough, yet stylish plastic cover, which can reduce costs in the event of damage.
• Stylish, separate rider and passenger seats offer excellent comfort. Narrow design rider seat makes it easier to touch feet flat on the ground. Seat height is 780 mm (30.7″). Rear seat can be removed and replaced by the optional Genuine Yamaha Accessory rear seat cowl if desired.
• New, full featured liquid crystal multi-function meter. Functions include centrally located analogue tachometer, digital speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, fuel reserve trip meter (counts kilometres since the fuel went on reserve), clock, gear indicator, plus instant & average fuel consumption. Other features include temperature gauge, oil change indicator and adjustable shift light; plus a range of warning and indicator lights. Back lighting is adjustable.
• Full fairing provides that special super sport image
• Stylish, reverse slant dual multi-reflector 55 watt halogen headlights. Lights can be adjusted up or down and side to side.
• Brilliant 24 – LED rear tail light with unique running / brake light display
/// Additional Features
• Helmet holder
• Excessive lean angle sensor. If the unit is on its side the engine will shut down to prevent serious engine damage
• Stylish clear turn signal lenses
• Lockable steering
• Folding mirrors
• Stylish rear fender extension helps reduce splash in wet conditions
• 16 bit ECU
• Lightweight, low-maintenance sealed battery (batteries must be charged while a bike is in storage)
• Yamaha diagnostic tool coupler is located under the passenger seat. This system can significantly reduce diagnostic time in the event of a problem.
2015 Yamaha YZF-R3 – www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $4,990 – Raven – Available from February 2015; $4,990 – Team Yamaha Blue/Matte Silver – Available from February 2015; $4,990 – Rapid Red – Available from February 2015 USD
Engine Type 321cc, liquid-cooled 2-cylinder DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Bore x Stroke 68.0 x 44.1mm
Compression Ratio 11.2:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel Injected
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission Constant mesh; 6-speed transmission
Final Drive Chain
Suspension / Front 41mm KYB® telescopic fork; 5.1 in of travel
Suspension / Rear KYB® single shock; 4.9 in of travel
Brakes Front Hydraulic, 298mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic, 220mm
Tires / Front 110/70-17M/C 54H
Tires Rear 140/70-17M/C 66H
L x W x H 82.3 x 28.3 x 44.7 in
Seat Height 30.7 in
Wheelbase 54.3 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 25°
Trail 3.7 in
Fuel Capacity 3.7 gal
Fuel Economy** N/A
Wet Weight*** 368 lb
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
2015 Yamaha YZF-R3 – www.Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $4,990 CDN
4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 8-valves (4-valves/cyl), in-line twin
Bore and Stroke
68 x 44.1 mm
32 mm throttle body F.I.
Ignition / Starting
TCI / Electric
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).