Click photo to enlarge.
It makes a great desktop image.
2001 Honda VFR800FI Interceptor
– 2001 Honda VFR800FI Interceptor
Cycle World magazine’s perennial Top-10 street bike features Honda’s legendary innovation, world-class performance and unsurpassed quality and finish.
· Compact, RC45™-inspired 781cc DOHC 90 degree V-4 with an oversquare bore and stroke of 72mm x 48mm.
· Combustion chambers feature an 11.6:1 compression ratio and are fed by programmed fuel injection through short, straight intake ports.
· Shim-under-bucket valve actuation allows 25,000 kilometre valve maintenance intervals.
· Interceptor engine serves as a stressed member of the all-new pivotless frame, which features specially designed engine mounting bolts tuned to work in harmony with the damping characteristics of the frame.
· Horizontally split crankcase incorporates swingarm pivot and Pro-Link¨ bracket mounts at rear.
· Side-mounted gear-driven valve train ensures precise valve actuation and allows use of short, lightweight three-journal crankshaft. Spring-loaded split gears within the compact valve train reduce mechanical noise.
· Aluminum composite cylinder sleeves are high-pressure-formed from sintered aluminum powder impregnated with ceramic and graphite. The composite sleeves provide better wear resistance and superior heat dissipation compared to conventional sleeves.
· Pistons feature LUB-Coat solid lubricant to minimize friction between the piston and cylinder wall.
· Precision programmed electronic fuel injection system utilizes state-of-the-art fuel injectors. These injectors feed large, 36mm bores to provide optimal performance over a wide operating range.
· Interceptor’s electronic control unit combines precisely metered fuel delivery and optimal ignition control utilizing 3-D digital mapping for each cylinder.
· Electronic fuel pump operates inside large, 21.0 litre fuel tank for extended touring range.
· Solenoid-operated dual-air-intake-duct design keeps one duct closed during low-speed operation to ensure optimal control of air intake velocity.
· Dual side-mounted radiators maximize cooling efficiency using low-air-pressure areas created by side cowls to draw cooling air through the radiators.
· During low-speed operation, a thermostat-controlled left-side fan pulls cooling air across the radiator into the fairing, keeping hot air away from the rider.
· Side placement of radiators allows short wheelbase and optimal placement of engine for low center of gravity and excellent handling precision. Cooling airflow to front and rear cylinder banks and exhaust system is enhanced. Forward cylinder access is simplified for maintenance.
· Oil cooler mounted under steering head for maximum cooling efficiency.
· Four-into-two-into-one exhaust system features stainless-steel canister-type silencer.
· Rugged 125mm-diameter eight-plate clutch offers light weight and high load capacity.
· Exceptionally smooth-shifting six-speed transmission.
· Triple-box-section aluminum twin-spar frame features tuned, pivotless design that isolates the engine-mounted swingarm from the frame, and contributes to an overall vehicle weight reduction.
· The frame’s massive triple-box aluminum spars anchor the steering head directly to the engine and provide a solid mount for the top of the rear Pro-Link¨ shock absorber.
· Interceptor’s rigid Pro Arm™ single-sided cast aluminum swingarm, mounted to the engine and the pivotless frame, marks the first time these two leading technologies have been combined on a production motorcycle.
· Rigid 41mm Honda Multi-Action System (HMAS™) cartridge front fork provides precise handling and compliant damping with 4.7 inches of travel and stepless preload adjustment.
· Pro-Link rear suspension features a 40mm gas-charged HMAS shock with 4.7 inches of travel, adjustable spring preload and rebound damping. The Pro-Link arm is anchored directly to a cast aluminum bracket on the rear of the engine case.
· U-section cast aluminum wheels are light and reduce unsprung weight.
· The five-spoke, 5.5-inch rear wheel sports a large, low-profile Dunlop 180/55ZR17 radial tire. The six-spoke, 3.5-inch-wide front wheel carries a 120/70ZR17 Dunlop radial tire.
· Third-Generation Linked Braking System™ (LBS™) features simplified design and superb balance to provide super-sport braking characteristics and a feel that will appeal to a wide range of riders. Honda’s Linked Braking System uses a second master cylinder and a three-stage proportional control valve (PCV) to couple the three-piston calipers of the dual-front and single-rear brake discs. Using the front brake lever activates the outer two pistons of the two front calipers and, acting through the secondary master cylinder and the inline proportioning valve, the center piston of the rear caliper. The rear brake pedal operates the outer pistons of the rear brake caliper and the two center pistons of the front brake calipers. A delay valve sensitive to the rider’s pedal pressure smoothes front brake engagement.
· The Interceptor’s 296mm floating front brake discs feature a lightweight seven-spoke inner rotor design, further reducing unsprung weight.
· Sintered metal front brake pad material provides superior braking performance.
· The Interceptor’s sleek, aerodynamic bodywork is functional as well as beautiful.
· Air flowing through a central air vent under the front windshield provides cool air to the rider at low speeds and increases rider comfort at higher speeds.
· The deeply valanced front fender reduces air resistance at high speeds for light, responsive handling.
· Front fender and fairing design route cool air through the fairing to improve engine cooling and rider comfort.
· Dual, multi-reflector headlight features computer-designed multi-curvature reflectors behind a single, cat’s-eye clear lens, focusing the headlamp beam in a broad pattern for optimal lighting.
· Sidecover/tail section features beautifully styled, integral taillight and turn signals.
· High-tech instrument display includes electronic tachometer and speedometer and LCD readouts for air temperature, coolant temperature, odometer, two tripmeters and clock.
· ACG output of 463 watts.
· Detachable seat offers access to space to carry U-lock and other necessities. (Lock not included.)
· Removable passenger seat cowl.
· Adjustable brake and clutch levers.
· Injection-molded nylon passenger grabrails are comfortable to the touch in chilly or hot weather.
· Additional cast or forged aluminum parts include brake pedal, shift lever and footpegs.
· Folding aerodynamic mirrors.
· Convenient ignition switch/fork lock for added security.
· Push-to-cancel turn-signal switch.
· Transferable one-year unlimited-mileage limited warranty.
· Tank pad.
· Magnetic tank bag.
· Cycle cover.
782cc liquid-cooled, 90 degree V-four
Bore and Stroke
72mm X 48mm
11.6 : 1
DOHC, 4 valve, shim under bucket
PGM Fuel injection, 36mm throttle bodies
Computer controlled with 3-dimensional mapping
O ring chain
41mm, cartridge fork, with adjustable preload, 120mm travel
Pro-Link, single shock with adjustable preload and rebound damping, 120 mm travel.
Dual 296mm floating discs with three piston calipers, LBS.
Single 256mm disc with LBS triple piston caliper.
120/70ZR – 17
180/55ZR – 17
805mm (31.7 in.)
1440mm (56.7 in.)
208 kg (458 lbs.)
21 litres (4.6 Imp. gal.)
Specifications are subject to change without notice, in accordance with national regulation and legislations.