2005 Kawasaski Z750S
Back to 2005 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
– 2005 Kawasaki Z750-S
The new-for-2005 Kawasaki Z750 motorcycle offers a unique combination of NINJA® sportbike performance, comfort for two-up touring and the aggressive style of Kawasaki’s “super naked” Z1000.
Initially launched in Europe and refined for American riding styles, the new Z750 is powered by a liquid-cooled, 748cc, inline four-cylinder engine that delivers a smooth linear powerband. It features a bore and stroke of 68.4mm x 50.9mm, double overhead cams, 16 valves, reshaped intake ports, exhaust ports and combustion chambers. A fourinto-
one exhaust system enhances mid-range power, while an oval-shaped, racinginspired muffler helps to keep the Z750 running quietly. The muffler also includes a metal honeycomb catalyzer to reduce emissions.
The Z750 is the first middleweight naked bike to feature electronic fuel injection and utilizes 34mm throttle bodies. Combined with high-speed digital ignition, both systems are managed by an electronic engine control unit for snappy throttle response.
To maintain a consistent operating temperature, the Z750 utilizes the same large radiator and ring fan as that found on the Z1000.
Power is transferred to the rear wheel through a six-speed transmission and
520 X-ring drive chain, and the Z750 rides on high-performance radial tires mounted on new six-spoke 17-inch wheels. The new wheels do more than look good – they are lighter and stronger than previous three-spoke designs, further reducing the Z750’s overall dry weight.
The Z750’s lightweight diamond frame is constructed of large diameter, thin wall tubing for strength and rigidity for nimble backroad handling and high-speed stability. Plus, the detachable right front-top portion of the frame makes tune-ups easier.
Performance-tuned 41mm forks, plus a rear swingarm featuring cast aluminum
UNI-TRAK® linkage and shock with four-way rebound damping and seven-way spring preload adjustments help the Z750 soak up road bumps. Dual 300mm front disc brakes with four-piston calipers and a 220mm rear disc brake help the rider bring the Z750 to
quick, powerful stops.
Being a naked bike doesn’t mean the Z750 is without amenities. The Z750’s
three-piece bikini cowl gives it a lean, provocative look, while quartz halogen headlights brighten the road at night. The instrument panel – shared with the NINJA ZX-10R – glows with a new, bright red backlight for a high-class look and includes a radial tachometer, digital speedometer, odometer, tripmeter, fuel gauge and clock, while the modern LED taillight and turn signals are shared with the new NINJA ZX-6RR.
The swingarm-mounted inner fender and front fender contribute to the Z750’s
aggressive, sporty image. The galvanized steel fuel tank is slender and helps to create a seating position that is comfortable and allows the rider to mold to the bike. The new
tandem seat features sleek passenger grab bars and an optional tandem seat cover is available from Kawasaki.
Features and Benefits
748cc, DOHC, 16-valve, In-line, Four-cylinder Four-stroke Engine
– Tuned for linear powerband to suit any riding style
– Compact and lightweight, contributing to overall handling excellence
– Stunning appearance, enhancing naked design
– Fins cast into head improve external appearance
– Aluminum die casting cylinder head cover is thin-walled and lightweight yet strong
– All-aluminum, closed-deck cylinder block with chrome composite plated cylinders is light, long wearing and offers excellent heat dispersion
– Four-into-one exhaust system enhances mid-rpm response
– Oval-shaped muffler looks good and helps keep the Z750 running quietly
– Kawasaki Low Exhaust Emissions (KLEEN®) catalyzer system helps keep the Z750 environmentally friendly
– Profiles modified for more low- and mid-range power
– Lightweight hollow inlet and exhaust cams each ride in five ball bearings to reduce friction loss
– Front cam-chain guide is light, easy to mount and provides accurate valve timing
– Provides the right gear for every riding situation and riding style
Digital Fuel Injection
– Provides excellent throttle response and power with less fuel consumption
– Compact electronic control unit processes information faster for better engine response
– In-tank, electric fuel pump delivers a constant supply of fuel in all riding conditions
– 34mm throttle bodies with sub-throttle valves promote smooth engine operation
– Plug-mounted ignition coils are fitted to suit the new injection system
– Compact 32-bit ignition CPU delivers highly accurate information for the Electronic Fuel
Injection (EFI) system
– Large-area radiator with electric fan maintains operating temperatures at the proper level
– Rigid yet lightweight diamond frame of large-diameter thin-walled tubes contributes to responsive handling performance
– Engine is mounted as a stressed member for high chassis rigidity
– Detachable top engine mount makes tune-ups easier
– Steering head uses caged ball bearings for light steering qualities
Adjustable Rear Shock
– Rear shock settings match the rigid chassis
– UNI-TRAK® bottom link rear suspension features a nitrogen gas-charged shock
– Shock equipped with spring preload and rebound damping adjustments
Lightweight Disc Brakes
– Dual front, semi-floating 300mm discs are gripped by lightweight four-piston calipers, providing impressive braking performance
– Rear brake caliper holder designed for low weight; mounts directly to swingarm
Wheels and Tires
– New, six-spoke 17-inch wheels are lighter and stronger than previous three-spoke designs, and further reduce the Z750’s overall dry weight
– 17-inch radial tires deliver excellent traction
– Large diameter front and rear axles are hollow, for high rigidity and low weight
Defining Bodywork and Ergonomics
– New, two-piece bikini cowl accentuates the bike’s provocative lines
– Seat cowl with LED taillight and swingarm-mounted inner fender give an aggressive, sporty image
– Sleek fuel tank constructed of galvanized steel to resist corrosion
– Seating position is very comfortable and allows the rider to mold to the machine
– Dual, multi-deflector halogen headlights enhance front-end appearance
High-tech Instrument Panel
– Lightweight, compact instrument cluster features a radial-type tachometer and digital LCD speedometer
– Cluster includes digital temperature gauge, clock, tripmeter, fuel gauge and a comprehensive range of indicator lamps
– Optional tandem seat cover adds to the angular, sculpted lines
– Tamper-resistant ignition switch
– Forged side stand is strong and tucks out of the way for ample cornering clearance
– Seat utilizes special low-slip surface material for high comfort
Engine: Four-stroke inline four-cylinder, DOHC, 16 valves
Displacement: Bore x stroke: 68.4 x 50.9mm
Compression ratio: 11.3:1
Induction: Electronic fuel injection, four 34mm throttle bodies
Transmission: Six speed
Frame: Diamond, high-tensile steel
Rake / trail: 24 degrees / 4.1 in.
Front suspension: 41mm cartridge fork
Rear suspension: UNI-TRAK(r) linkage with four-way rebound and seven-way spring preload adjustability
Front wheel travel: 4.7 in.
Rear wheel travel: 5.0 in.
Front tire: 120/70ZR x 17
Rear tire: 180/55ZR x 17
Brakes, front / rear: Dual 300mm hydraulic discs / 220mm hydraulic disc
Overall length: 81.9 in.
Overall width: 30.7 in.
Overall height: 40.9 in.
Wheelbase: 56.1 in.
Ground clearance: 6.5 in.
Seat height: 32.1 in.
Dry weight: 430 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 4.8 gal.
Colors: Candy Plasma Blue