2022 Honda Montesa Cota 301RR: PUREBRED CHAMPION.
Introducing the 2022 Honda Montesa Cota 301RR…
Celebrating a rich history that goes back even longer than that of Honda, Montesa marks its 75th anniversary with a special edition of its elite trials machine, which gets a new look to commemorate the occasion. Manufactured in the trials hotbed of Barcelona, Spain, the Montesa Cota 301RR now has a red fuel tank in a tribute to early Montesa models, as well as a gold “75th Anniversary” emblem that adorns the fuel-tank cover and fork legs. This is a competition-focused model that adopts most of its components and technical solutions from the machine of 28-time FIM World Champion Toni Bou, and it boasts a powerful-but-tractable 299cc four-stroke engine and advanced Tech forks with aluminum stanchions.
It’s a rare breed of motorcyclist who excels at trials riding. Sure, lots of riders play around at it, but to be really great, you need talent, discipline . . . and the right machine. For those trials riders who want the best, we’re happy to provide the Montesa Cota 301RR—a bike that combines Montesa’s legendary trials expertise with Honda’s legendary engineering and quality. And the 2021 Montesa Cota 301RR is extra special, commemorating Montesa’s recent 75th anniversary with exclusive graphics and a unique color scheme, along with its premium suspension and 298cc liquid-cooled four-stroke Honda engine.
2022 Honda Montesa Cota 301RR Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
Honda Confirms Montesa Cota 301RR, FourTrax Rincon – Both models are highly capable in their respective realms
A new-model announcement from Honda today included a pair of off-road powersports products for very different applications. One is the nimble, lightweight, focused 2021 Montesa Cota 301RR trials bike; the other is the rugged, heavy-duty, versatile 2022 FourTrax Rincon multipurpose ATV. Both are undoubtedly the right choices for their specific purposes, and together they exemplify the wide-ranging nature of Honda’s powersports lineup.
The Cota 301RR celebrates an important milestone for Montesa, with special graphics denoting the Honda subsidiary’s 75th anniversary. Of course it also boasts performance-oriented components that are worthy of 28-time FIM World Champion Toni Bou.
Meanwhile, the Rincon—Honda’s largest ATV—offers an ideal combination of comfort and performance, thanks to premium, long-travel Independent Rear Suspension and a robust, 675cc single-cylinder engine that is positioned longitudinally in the chassis, to minimize power loss. It also comes standard with rugged bodywork and steel front and rear cargo racks to carry loads. (Due to a regulatory change, the 2022 Rincon is a 49-state model and is not for sale in California.)
“Off-road enthusiasts are come in all shapes and sizes, and as demonstrated by today’s announcement, the same is true of Honda’s off-road vehicles,” said Brandon Wilson, Manager of Sports and Experiential at American Honda. “No other manufacturer produces such a varied family of powersports vehicles, and both the Montesa Cota 301RR and the FourTrax Rincon are extremely effective for their respective applications.”
2022 Honda Montesa Cota 301RR Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
ENGINE / DRIVETRAIN
- With bore and stroke figures of 81.5 mm and 57.2 mm, displacement is 298cc, the maximum allowed in the Trial2 World Championship.
- Power is biased to the low end and midrange for the smooth, tractable delivery that is vital for maintaining traction in technical conditions, even with the sudden bursts of acceleration common in trials riding.
- The three-ring piston and specially designed crankshaft reduce vibration.
- Programmed electronic fuel injection for smooth running in varying conditions.
- Lightweight aluminum muffler with a large-diameter inner tube and great overall volume, for maximum torque across the rev range. A carbon fiber exhaust shield is incorporated for protection.
- The light-but-tough carbon-fiber guard protects the clutch, on the engine’s right side.
- The decompression system features a large, 2.3 mm crankcase breather tube for reduced engine braking, helping to maintain traction during deceleration.
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION
- The 39 mm Formula Tech fork is light, in part because of its aluminum stanchions.
- The Pro-Link® rear-suspension system with single Showa shock absorb trials sections’ gnarliest obstacles.
- Lightweight aluminum frame and swingarm for nimble handling.
- Aluminum wheel hubs minimize unsprung weight for easy steering and predictable handling.
- Petal-style rotors front and rear, for optimum braking power and modulation. A four-piston front caliper offers strong, predictable braking, and it’s protected by a plastic guard.
- A large aluminum skid plate with a rubber cushion protects the engine from the impacts against rocks so common in trials.
- An aluminum side stand lets the rider easily park the bike when waiting for his or her turn to enter a section.
- Aluminum fuel tank.
- Rear fender flares out at the end to better protect the rider from mud and water in transfer sections.
- Minimalist LED headlight adds illumination in dark conditions (not road legal).
2022 Honda Montesa Cota 301RR – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: from $ USD
Canada MSRP Price: $ CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
|Model||Montesa Cota 301RR|
|Type||298cc liquid-cooled, single-cylinder four-stroke|
|Valve Train||SOHC; four valves|
|Bore x Stroke||81.5 mm x 57.2 mm|
|Induction||Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) w/ 28 mm throttle body|
|Ignition||Electronically controlled digital transistorized|
|Transmission||Close-ratio, 5-speed manual, constant mesh|
|Clutch||Multiplate wet, hydraulically operated|
|Final Drive||#520 chain, 10T/41T|
|Front||Tech 39 mm telescopic fork w/ aluminum stanchions, adjustable preload, compression, rebound; 6.6 in. stroke|
|Rear||Pro-Link® system w/ single Showa shock, adjustable preload, rebound; 6.7 in. travel|
|Front||Single 185 mm “petal-style” rotor w/ 4 piston hydraulic caliper, sintered metal pads|
|Rear||Single 150 mm “petal-style” rotor w/ 2 piston hydraylic caliper|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||23.2º|
|Ground Clearance||12.2 in.|
|Seat Height||26.8 in.|
|Fuel Capacity||.5 gal.|
|Dry Weight||169 lbs.|
2022 Honda Montesa Cota 301RR – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
2022 Honda Montesa Cota 301RR – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).