Click on photos to enlarge.
It makes a great desktop image.
The 2002 Honda RC51 is thoroughly updated for both competition and the street, offering even more superbike performance for enthusiasts seeking the most powerful, best handling V-twin sport bike. The Canadian Superbike champion two years in a row, the ’02 version of the RC51 gets more power from larger fuel injection throttle bodies and improved handling thanks to frame and swingarm revisions
New for 2002
· Prodigious power is produced across a broad rpm band, peaking with 133 bhp at 10,000 rpm and 71 lb./ft. of torque at 8000 rpm in street-legal trim.
· Weight savings of more than 3.6 kg are achieved in the following areas: frame (0.25 kg), swingarm (0.86 kg), front fork (0.34 kg), rear shock (0.2 kg), front wheel (0.45 kg), rear wheel (0.5 kg).
· Larger, 62mm fuel injection throttle bodies inspired by HRC’s championship works racers.
· The two fuel injectors for each cylinder now feature 12 laser-drilled jet holes in each injector tip for finer fuel atomization, resulting in more responsive throttle performance and faster, more efficient combustion for stronger power output.
· Newly designed exhaust ports feature an HRC-developed shape for improved exhaust scavenging and velocity, resulting in increased engine performance.
· Fuel injection and ignition mapping are refined for the larger throttle bodies and new exhaust ports to produce smooth and linear throttle response, responding even more precisely to fine throttle adjustments.
· New shot-peening process applied to piston wrist pins results in a harder, longer-wearing surface that’s more resistant to scoring.
· Exhaust mufflers are lightened throughout and secured by lighter mounting bands.
· Twin side-mounted radiators each have electric cooling fans to improve engine cooling.
· Cone-shaped clutch spring plate quiets and smoothes clutch engagement.
· Newly designed forged side engine-hangers are lighter (0.26 kg) and stronger than the cast pieces they replace.
· HRC-designed press-forged aluminum swingarm is lengthened 16mm to improve rear wheel power delivery and is more rigid than the previous design for optimum race track handling.
· Rear subframe can now be easily removed to lighten the frame 0.54 kg for racing.
· Newly designed HRC-type integrated remote rear shock reservoir is repositioned for easy fitment of center-up high-performance competition exhaust.
· Brake fluid system pressure is increased 10 percent, resulting in even better braking feel and performance.
· New five-spoke wheels feature aerodynamic forward-facing V-shaped spokes and next-generation Dunlop D208 tires.
· New windscreen shape, derived from Colin Edwards’ championship World Superbike HRC racer, is 30mm taller than the previous design.
· Lightweight aluminum upper fairing stay is nearly 0.2 kg lighter than the previous steel design.
· Larger under-seat tool tray.
· The black resin seat pan/rear fender located under the seat cowl has been completely redesigned to reposition the battery and electrical components farther forward for improved mass centralization.
· 999cc DOHC eight-valve 90 degree V-twin engine is specially designed to withstand the rigors of superbike competition.
· Centrally-mounted ram-air intake duct routes cool, pressurized air directly through the frame’s steering head structure to the 9.0-litre airbox, improving intake efficiency while slimming the aerodynamic profile. The ram-air duct doubles as a front cowl stay, shaving 0.34 kg off of a conventional mounting system.
· Each cylinder head features large, 40mm intake and 34mm exhaust valves with a 24 degree included valve angle. This provides a short, direct path for the air/fuel charge entering the combustion chamber and results in high power output.
· Gear-driven camshafts utilize three-axis drive gears to maintain accurate valve timing and durability at sustained high engine speeds.
· Innovative head gaskets minimize distortion caused by head bolt tightening, improving sealing performance and maintaining combustion pressure for consistent high power output in competition conditions.
· Direct shim-under-bucket valve actuation system ensures high-rpm durability, and allows 25,600-km valve maintenance intervals.
· High-pressure programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) delivers fuel at 50 psi to two injectors per cylinder, mounted opposite each other in huge, 62mm throttle bodies. Fuel is delivered through 12 nozzle holes in each injector, producing a very fine spray and a highly combustible air/fuel charge for maximum combustion efficiency and power output.
· Cast aluminum pistons are screen-printed with solid LUB-Coat finish to minimize friction between the piston and cylinder wall.
· Aluminum composite cylinder sleeves are high-pressure-formed from sintered aluminum powder impregnated with ceramic and graphite. The lightweight composite sleeves provide better wear resistance and superior heat dissipation compared to conventional sleeves.
· Nutless connecting rods feature bolts threaded directly into tapped holes in rods. Design is lighter than conventional bolt-and-nut combination. Carburized rods provide strength and durability under high loads.
· Crankshaft center lubrication system carries oil to main and connecting rod bearings through passages in the crankshaft as well as conventional journals, allowing lower main-gallery oil pressure and a smaller oil pump design, consuming less horsepower at high engine speeds.
· Electronic Control Unit (ECU) provides digital 3-D fuel injection and ignition maps for each cylinder, creating ideal fuel mixture and spark advance settings for maximum power and throttle response.
· Iridium-tip spark plugs require less voltage and maintain ignition performance in demanding conditions.
· At operating speed, side-mounted dual radiators utilize low pressure of airflow passing over outer surface of cowling to draw air through from the inside. Side positioning allows optimal placement of engine for a low center of gravity and superb handling and permits flow of air to reach cylinders and exhaust pipes for enhanced cooling efficiency.
· Aluminum water pump housing.
· Air-cooled aluminum oil cooler.
· Magnesium head cover, clutch cover and left-rear sprocket cover.
· All-stainless two-into-one-into-two exhaust system with two 5.3-litre canister-style mufflers with a buffed finish.
· Seven-plate clutch design is compact and tough, featuring durable friction plate material.
· Smooth-shifting close-ratio six-speed transmission features ratios carefully matched to the engine’s powerband.
· Durable #530 O-ring-sealed drive chain.
· Twin-spar extruded aluminum frame features a modified Pro Frame(r) design utilizing a swingarm pivot that incorporates both engine-crankcase- and frame-mounted pivot points. The frame sideplates extend underneath the swingarm and join to form a D-shape swingarm mounting enclosure. This combination provides an extremely rigid chassis while offering excellent road feel.
· Tapered and braced box-section swingarm provides exceptional lateral and torsional rigidity.
· 43mm inverted aluminum-slider Honda Multi-Action System(tm) (HMAS(tm)) cartridge fork with 130mm (5.1 in.) of travel features spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability, and offers precise action and superb rigidity.
· Pro-Link(r) rear suspension features 120mm (4.7 in.) of travel and a high-quality 40mm HMAS shock with integrally cast damper reservoir. Spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability produces superior rear wheel control.
· Braking system features 320mm front discs floating on seven stainless steel pins with four-piston calipers, and a 220mm rear disc with a single-piston caliper for exceptional stopping power.
· Lightweight aluminum-alloy wheels have five V-shaped HRC-style spokes and feature race-spec 3.5 x 17-inch front and 6.0 x 17-inch rear dimensions.
· Distinctive bodywork features a dual-headlight design with a centrally located ram-air duct, a narrow-profile fuel tank and a single-piece tail section.
· Removable aluminum rear subframe.
· Fuel tank designed with sculpted indents for knees, arms and handlebars.
· Unique bank-angle sensor shuts off fuel supply to PGM-FI system if the motorcycle tips over, but is unaffected by bumps and vibration during normal operation.
· High-output, 335-watt AC generator.
· Electrically quiet regulator/rectifier eliminates interference with sophisticated PGM-FI and ignition circuitry.
· Dual headlights feature asymmetric low/high beam operation; computer-designed multi-reflectors and two 55W H7 bulbs behind clear plastic lenses provide a broad lighting pattern and superb illumination.
· Lightweight instrument display includes electronic LCD tachometer and speedometer, fuel indicator, odometer, tripmeter and temperature gauge.
· Lightweight front brake lever has a compact adjuster and incorporates the return spring in the master cylinder.
· Convenient ignition switch/fork lock for added security.
· Lightweight, recyclable oil filter cartridge.
· Handlebar switches and controls use internationally approved ISO graphic symbols.
· Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty.
999cc liquid-cooled 90 degree V-twin
Bore and Stroke
100mm x 63.6mm
DOHC; four valves per cylinder
PGM-FI with 12-hole injectors
#530 O-ring-sealed chain
43mm inverted HMAS cartridge fork with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; 130mm (5.1 in.) travel
HMAS Pro-Link single shock with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; 120mm (4.7 in.) travel
Dual full-floating 320mm discs with four-piston calipers
Single 220mm disc with single-piston caliper
1420mm (55.9 in.)
820mm (32.3 in.)
194 kg (427 pounds)
18 litres (3.8 Imp. gal.)
Specifications are subject to change without notice, in accordance with national regulation and legislations.