2007 Kawasaki KX85
Back to 2007 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2007 Kawasaki KX85
2007 Kawasaki KX85
Raising the bar for tomorrow’s champions
Once young riders have prepared themselves for racing and developed the necessary riding skills to compete on real motocross tracks, they’ll need a motorcycle that can keep pace with their growing bodies and expanding capabilities. The Kawasaki KX™85 is an emerging racer’s dream. Powered by a liquid-cooled, two-stroke, single-cylinder 84cc engine that churns out an abundance of race-winning power, the KX85 is packed with high-tech features, such as an Electrofusion-coated cylinder with a narrow squish band and large volume combustion chamber to enhance top-end power.
Fuel delivery for the engine is provided by a 28mm carburetor that features a crescent-slide to position the needle closer to the intake ports. A Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System (KIPS®) and exhaust pipe capped with a KX™250-style muffler contribute to the KX85’s tractable powerband, which provides control for riders of varying skill levels.
A smooth-shifting six-speed transmission, hard chrome-finished shift fork ends, a thick base on the clutch basket housing and an additional bushing on the input shaft for extra durability are all features that make the KX85 shine.
The KX85 stands above the competition with its advanced chassis. It utilizes a high-tensile steel perimeter frame, and a specially designed gas tank sits inside the frame, lowering the fuel load and center of gravity for improved handling – yet another design borrowed from the bigger KX motorcycles.
Long-travel suspension at both ends helps to smooth out the roughest course for riders of every size and skill level. The 36mm inverted cartridge front fork has the capability of 18-way compression damping adjustment. Out back, the spring preload, compression and rebound damping are all adjustable on the UNI-TRAK rear suspension system.
The KX85 also features aggressive Kawasaki Lime Green and Black graphics and a two-tone seat, just like the larger KX models.
Those who race their KX85 at designated events are eligible to receive support from Team Green™, Kawasaki’s amateur racing support program. Each year, Team Green provides regional support vehicles and highly trained technicians at more than 100 events, offering technical information and assistance to those who race Kawasaki products. Kawasaki also offers a comprehensive contingency program for amateur and professional riders who place well at designated events.
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (KMC) markets and distributes Kawasaki motorcycles, ATVs, personal watercraft and utility vehicles through a network of more than 1,500 independent retailers, with an additional 8,400 retailers specializing in power products and general purpose engines. KMC and its affiliates employ nearly 2,400 people in the United States, with more than 450 of them located at the Irvine, California headquarters.
Kawasaki’s tagline, “Let the good times roll.™”, is recognized worldwide and the brand has become synonymous with powerful, stylish motorcycles for over four decades. Information about Kawasaki’s complete line of recreational products and Kawasaki affiliates can be found on the Internet at www.kawasaki.com.
– Even-running temperatures provide consistent power output
– Lightweight Electrofusion-coated cylinder improves heat transfer while resisting abrasion and seizure
– Bridges between intake and exhaust ports are machined finish for improved reliability
– Magneto with lower inertial moment improves low-rpm response
– Rotor comes with rare-earth magnets – the unitized piece is small, light and durable
– Connecting rod big-end bearing has more rigid cage for improved durability
– Intake port shape and revised cylinder skirt allow cooling air into the crankcase chamber
– Primary gear is secured using a lock-nut to help reduce mechanical noise
– Metafoam gaskets for the generator and water pump covers improve sealing
Kawasaki Integrated Power Valve System (KIPS®)
– KIPS system varies exhaust-port height for increased horsepower and torque
– Produces a broad powerband with more low-end torque and mid-range, while retaining excellent top-end power
– Breather added to KIPS cover to improve high-rpm and overrun performance
– Thick base clutch hub rides on needle bearings for smooth action
– Large clutch plates are 119mm in diameter for durability and control
– Clutch-release lever ratio is designed for light clutch lever action
– Clutch plate service cover simplifies maintenance and utilizes a metal-carbon composite gasket
– The fifth and sixth gears on the input shaft ride on bushings for added reliability
– Positive shifting action and rugged durability
– Shift forks are hard chrome finished to resist wear and seizing
– Convenient oil level window
– Bushings on the second, third and fourth gears on the output shaft increase durability
28mm Keihin PWK carburetor
– Large crescent slide carburetor positions the needle closer to intake ports for excellent throttle response and improves power
– Adjustable for various conditions
– Large right-side cutout improves airflow for increased power
– Foam air filter is reusable after cleaning
– Features large-diameter O-ring and groove on exhaust pipe for improved durability and easy installation
– Aluminum silencer re-packable like larger KX models
High-tensile Steel Perimeter Frame
– Wide footpegs for better control, made of cast steel for strength
– Thick footpeg brackets withstand today’s rigorous tracks
– Engine and chassis bolts have rust-resistant coating
– Gas tank design lowers center of gravity for improved handling
UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
– The swingarm uses large cross-section beams for more rigidity and control
– The swingarm incorporates cast-aluminum drive chain adjuster sections for easy chain adjustments and swingarm rigidity
– Flanged collars are used at the swingarm pivot bearings to protect the seals from mud
– Shock is fully adjustable for compression and rebound damping and spring preload
36mm Inverted Cartridge Fork
– Inverted forks are rigid, providing better steering response and control
– Compression damping is 18-way adjustable
– Aluminum upper fork tubes measure 49.5mm in diameter for flex-free performance
Front and Rear Disc Brakes
– Front brake lever shape offers better feel
– Forged-aluminum rear brake pedal is strong, lightweight and features two seals at the pivot for smooth operation
– Strong braking power is achieved with minimal effort
Front and Rear Wheels
– Rear hub features two wheel bearings on the drive side of the hub for durability
– Rear-axle diameter is large for more rigidity
– Front and rear hubs feature seals to better protect the wheel bearings
– Two-tone seat pattern and graphics just like larger KX models
Engine: Two-stroke single with KIPS®
Bore x stroke: 48.5 x 45.8mm
Carburetion: Keihin PWK28
Induction: Crankcase reed valve
Compression ratio: 10.0:1 (low speed) – 9.2:1 (high speed)
Ignition: Digital CDI
Final drive: Chain
Frame: High-tensile steel perimeter design with subframe member
Rake / trail: 27 degrees / 3.5 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 36mm inverted telescopic cartridge fork with 18-way compression damping / 10.8 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAK® single-shock system with 4-way compression and 16-way rebound damping, plus adjustable spring preload / 10.8 in.
Front tire: 70/100×17
Rear tire: 90/100×14
Front brake / rear brake: Hydraulic disc / Disc
Overall length: 71.7 in.
Overall width: 28.9 in.
Overall height: 41.5 in.
Ground clearance: 13.4 in.
Seat height: 33.1 in.
Dry weight: 143.3 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 1.5 gal.
Wheelbase: 49.4 in.
Color: Lime Green / Black