2008 Kawasaki ZZR 600
Back to 2008 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge for detail.
They make great desktop images.
– 2008 Kawasaki ZZR 600
2008 Kawasaki ZZR 600
THE 2008 KAWASAKI ZZR®600 IS A SUPERB ALL-AROUND PERFORMER
The quick, practical and affordable sportbike
The benchmark for well-designed middleweight performance, the Kawasaki ZZR®600 maintains this status with offering class-leading comfort and cutting edge style. With an excellent overall balance and dazzling performance, this modern sportbike has earned a healthy respect from the motorcycling public and finicky motojournalists alike.
A 599cc, liquid-cooled, inline, four-cylinder engine with dual overhead cams and four valves per cylinder is the core of the ZZR600 its lively performance. Further enhancing the engine is Kawasaki’s Twin Ram Air Induction system, which takes in cool air via its leading-edge air scoop on the fairing front and forces it to the ZZR600’s airbox and then into its four 36mm carburetors. The carburetors also feature the Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control (K-TRIC), which monitors the throttle position and adjusts the ignition timing for the engine’s four spark-plug mounted ignition coils, maximizing the power at every rpm.
The high-tech engine is mated to a close-ratio six-speed transmission, providing the ZZR600 rider with the best gear for any riding situation, from freeway droning to handling some back road twisties.
That excellent handling comes from the ZZR600’s chassis, a lightweight aluminum perimeter frame combined with a fully adjustable 46mm cartridge-type front fork and fully adjustable UNI-TRAK® rear suspension.
Stopping power is provided by six-piston calipers gripping dual 300mm semi-floating front disc brakes and a 220mm rear disc brake.
The ZZR600 is shod with high-performance radial tires mounted on 17-inch aluminum wheels. The 120/65ZR17 front and 180/55ZR17 rear tires provide maximum traction and help smooth the ride over bumpy surface streets and freeway expansion joints.
The simple, sleek lines of the ZZR600’s aerodynamic bodywork strike an elegant-but-athletic balance with the combination of its aluminum frame, angled front fairing, performance-enhancing air scoop and three-spoke wheels. Superbly matching this function to form, the ZZR600 makes long-distance rides a pleasure with a stepped flat seat, bars that are easy to reach and wide mirrors that provide an exceptional view.
The entirely electronic ZZR600 instrument cluster includes a speedometer, tachometer, coolant temperature gauge, odometer, trip meter and a digital clock.
599cc Four-Cylinder DOHC Engine
– Cylinders have liner-less, electroplated aluminum bores for decreased engine weight and improved heat transfer
– Pentroof/semi-hemi design of combustion chamber produces a higher compression ratio for more low-end torque and power throughout the rev range
– Magnesium alternator, sump, cylinder head, clutch, and cam chain covers cut weight
– The automatic fan is on the left side of the curved aluminum radiator to save space
– Includes an LCD temperature gauge
– A liquid-cooled oil cooler helps keep the oil cool
Twin Ram Air Induction
– Large ducts for more air pressure, which increases high speed power
– The extended opening increases pressure in the system for excellent volumetric efficiency
Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control (K-TRIC)
– K-TRIC monitors throttle position and engine rpm, and controls ignition advance for the best power, fuel economy and detonation resistance
Transistor Controlled Ignition with Digital Advance
– A 16-bit central processing unit responds more quickly to engine needs
– Never needs adjustment
– The rotor has 12 projections to update the processor often
Spark Plug-Mounted Ignition Coils
– Ignition coils in the four spark plug caps weight less, consume less space, and provide strong, consistent spark
– To meet emissions requirements and make even more power at the same time, all models have a pre-catalyzer in the mid-pipe
– California models also have a catalyzer in the muffler
Fully Adjustable Cartridge Front Fork
– Large, rigid 46mm fork delivers first-rate handling performance on the street
Bottom-Link UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
– Extruded aluminum swingarm is lightweight and rigid
– Linkage ratios offer smooth and linear suspension response
– Upper shock mount is threaded for ride height adjustment
Dual Semi-Floating Front Disc Brakes
– Six-piston opposed front brake calipers with differential size pistons and aggressive pad material offer excellent feel and bite
– 300mm discs are 5mm thick to stand up to extreme use
220mm Rear Disc Brake
– Small overall diameter saves weight
– Lightweight, single-piston caliper produces quick, sure stops
Lightweight Aluminum Perimeter Frame
– Short wheelbase and steep head angle produce quick, responsive handling
– Rigid design provides good handling and durability
– Speedometer includes a coolant temperature gauge, odometer, trip meter, and a clock
– Coolant warning light incorporated on tachometer
– Handlebars are easily reached, flat seat supplies long ride comfort and wide mirrors reveal more than just the rider’s elbows
– Fairing and windscreen cut wind and provide great protection from the elements
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories
– Available accessories include tank bra, locks, alarm and bike cover
SPECIFICATIONS USA – 2008 Kawasaki ZZR 600:
Engine: Four-stroke DOHC inline four, 16 valves
Bore x stroke: 66.0 x 43.8mm
Compression ratio: 12.8:1
Carburetion: (4) Mikuni BDSR 36R
Transmission: Six speed
Final drive: Chain
Frame: Aluminum perimeter design
Rake / trail: 23.5 degrees / 3.7 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 46mm Cartridge Front Fork, fully adjustable / 4.7 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAKÃ‚® rear linkage, 20-way compression and rebound damping, ride height adjustment / 5.3 in.
Front tire: 120/65ZR17
Rear tire: 180/55ZR17
Front brakes: Dual 300mm discs with six-piston calipers
Rear brake: Single 220mm disc with single-piston caliper
Overall length: 79.9 in.
Overall width: 28.7 in.
Overall height: 46.3 in.
Seat height: 32.3 in.
Ground clearance: 5.7 in.
Dry weight: 377 lbs.
Wheelbase: 55.1 in.
Fuel capacity: 4.8 gal.
Color choices: Ebony
Candy Plasma Blue
SPECIFICATIONS Canada – 2008 Kawasaki ZZR 600:
Specifications and features are subject to change