Click photos to enlarge. Our big, clean bike pics make great desktop wallpaper.
2013 Kawasaki KX100 Review
2013 Kawasaki KX100
Taking the Next Step
As motocross racers begin to transition from the mini categories into full-sized competition, the KX™100 provides the ride that will both enhance and simplify this often-times difficult move. Engineered to help riders transition as they see both their skills and their physical presence changing, the KX100 lets them focus all of their attention on refining their own capabilities, not the constant need to manhandle an excessively large and powerful 250.
The KX100’s 99cc liquid-cooled two-stroke engine offers both more power and a broader spread of it than the KX85. The 28mm Keihin carburetor and carbon-fiber reed valve assembly help provide a crisp throttle response while the Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System (KIPS®) helps produce a powerband with good low-end torque and a strong top-end rush. The power then passes onto a smooth-shifting six-speed transmission, giving the KX a gear for every situation on the race track.
The engine is bolted to a black high-tensile steel perimeter frame with a specially designed fuel tank located inside the frame to lower the fuel load and center of gravity for optimal handling. Adjustable long-travel suspension at both ends helps smooth even the roughest motocross circuits. The 36mm inverted cartridge fork has compression damping adjustment capability, while the Uni-Trak® rear suspension system comes equipped with a shock that’s fully adjustable for spring preload, compression and rebound damping. In the braking department, both front and rear discs are mounted with shoulder bolts for easier maintenance.
The KX100 also features aggressive Kawasaki graphics to match its black frame and wheels, just like its larger KX siblings.
Those who race their KX100 at designated events are eligible to receive support from Team Green™, Kawasaki’s amateur racing support program. For over 30 years, Team Green has provided regional support vehicles and highly trained technicians at more than 100 yearly events, offering technical information and assistance to those who race Kawasaki products. Kawasaki also offers a comprehensive contingency program for amateur and professional riders who place well at designated events.
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
2013 Kawasaki KX100 Features and Benefits
At A Glance…
• 99cc two-stroke engine is liquid cooled to help assure even running temperatures, consistent power output and greater reliability
• Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System varies exhaust port height, helping to produce a broad powerband with more low-end torque while retaining excellent top-end power
• Six-speed transmission offers positive shifting action and rugged durability; hard chrome-finished shift forks resist wear and seizure
• Clutch uses 119mm-diameter plates for good feel and durability
• Swingarm uses large cross-section beams for more rigidity
• Uni-Trak® rear suspension features a shock with adjustable compression, rebound damping and spring preload, while the 36mm inverted cartridge fork has 18-way adjustable compression damping
• Industry-leading amateur racer support through Team Green™
Liquid-cooled, 99cc, Two-stroke Engine
• Clutch cover is separate from the water pump cover for quick servicing
• Liquid-cooling helps to maintain reliability, even-running temperatures and consistent power output
• Bridges between intake and exhaust ports are machine-finished for increased durability
• Rotor utilizes rare-earth magnets – the unitized piece is small, light and more efficient; low inertial moment improves low-rpm response
• Connecting rod big-end bearing has a more rigid cage for improved durability
• Intake port shape and cylinder skirt allow cooling air into the crankcase chamber
• Primary gear is secured using a lock-nut to help reduce mechanical noise
• Metafoam gaskets for the generator and water pump covers improve sealing
Kawasaki Integrated Power Valve System (KIPS®)
• KIPS system varies exhaust port height for increased horsepower and torque at all rpm
• Produces a broad powerband with more low-end torque while retaining excellent top-end power
• Breather in KIPS cover improves high-rpm and overrun performance
28mm Keihin Carburetor
• Crescent slide carburetor puts the needle closer to the intake ports for optimum throttle response
• Adjustable for various conditions
• Clutch hub rides on needle bearings for smooth action
• Large clutch plates measure 119mm in diameter for added durability and control
• Clutch-release lever ratio provides light clutch lever action
• Thick clutch basket housing improves durability
• Clutch plate service cover simplifies maintenance and utilizes a metal-carbon composite gasket
• Fifth and sixth gears ride on bushings for added reliability
• Positive shifting action and rugged durability
• Allows the engine’s full potential to be realized
• Oil level window allows easy level check
• Hard chrome-finished shift forks resist wear and seizure
High-tensile Steel Perimeter Frame
• Wide, steel footpegs for better control and added strength
• Thick footpeg brackets withstand today’s rigorous tracks
• Engine and chassis bolts feature rust-resistant coating
• Positioned low in the frame to lower center of gravity and improve handling
Uni-Trak® Rear Suspension
• Swingarm uses large cross-section beams for more rigidity and control
• Swingarm incorporates cast-aluminum drive chain adjuster sections for easy chain adjustments
• Flanged collars at the bearings to protect seals from mud
• Fully adjustable shock with compression damping, rebound damping and spring preload adjustability
36mm Inverted Cartridge Fork
• Aluminum upper tubes are 49.5mm in diameter for excellent control and steering response
• Compression damping is 18-way adjustable
• Front brake lever shape offers better feel
• Forged-aluminum rear brake pedal is strong, lightweight and features two seals at the pivot for smooth operation
Lightweight Aluminum Rims
• Rear hub features two wheel bearings on the drive side for durability
• Thick spokes are used in the front and rear for strength, and require less adjustment
• Lightweight aluminum rims
• Aggressive Kawasaki graphics compliment its black frame and wheels, just like the larger KX models
• Silver clutch and ignition covers resist the signs of boot rub to help keep the KX looking fresh, longer
2013 Kawasaki KX100 – USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $4,249 USD
Engine Two-stroke single with KIPS®
Bore x Stroke 52.5 x 45.8mm
Cooling System Liquid
Carburetion Keihin PWK28
Induction Two-petal reed valve
Compression ratio 9.6:1 (low speed) – 8.8:1 (high speed)
Ignition Digital CDI
Final drive Chain
Frame Type High-tensile steel perimeter design with subframe member
Rake/Trail 27 degrees / 4.1 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel 36mm inverted telescopic cartridge fork with 18-way compression damping / 10.8 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel Uni-Trak® single shock system with 4-way compression and 18-way rebound damping plus adjustable spring preload / 10.8 in.
Front Tire Size 70/100×19
Rear Tire Size 90/100×16
Front brakes / rear brakes Hydraulic disc / Disc
Overall length 75.2 in.
Overall width 28.9 in.
Overall height 43.5 in.
Ground clearance 15.0 in.
Seat height 34.3 in.
Curb weight 156.5 lbs.
Fuel capacity 1.5 gal.
Wheelbase 50.8 in.
Color Choices Lime Green
2013 Kawasaki KX100 – Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: TBA CDN
Type 4-stroke, Single
Bore and Stroke 77.0 x 53.6 mm
Compression Ratio 13.8:1
Valve System DOHC, 4 valves
Fuel System Fuel injection: Ã¸43 mm x 1 (Keihin) with dual injection
Ignition Digital DC-CDI
Starting Primary Kick
Lubrication Forced lubrication (semi-dry sump)
Transmission 5-speed, constant mesh, return shift
Final Drive Chain
Primary Reduction Ratio 3.350 (67/20)
Gear Ratio: 1st 2.142 (30/14)
Gear Ratio: 2nd 1.750 (28/16)
Gear Ratio: 3rd 1.444 (26/18)
Gear Ratio: 4th 1.235 (21/17)
Gear Ratio: 5th 1.045 (23/22)
Final Reduction Ratio 3.846 (50/13)
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual
Type Perimeter, aluminum
Wheel Travel: Front 315 mm (12.4 in.)
Tire: Front 80/100-21
Wheel Travel: Rear 310 mm (12.2 in.)
Tire: Rear 100/90-19
Caster (Rake) 28.7°
Trail 126.4 mm (5.0 in.)
Steering Angle (Left/Right) 42° / 42°
Suspension, Front 48 mm inverted Separate Function front Fork (SFF) Type 2 with 22-position compression, 20-position rebound damping and 40-position spring preload
Suspension, Rear New Uni-Trak linkage system shock with 19-way low-speed and 4-turn high-speed compression damping, 22-way rebound damping and fully adjustable spring preload
Front: Type Single semi-floating 250 mm petal disc
Front: Caliper Dual-piston caliper
Rear: Type Single 240 mm petal disc
Rear: Caliper Single-piston caliper
Overall Length 2,170 mm (85.4 in.)
Overall Width 820 mm (32.3 in.)
Overall Height 1,270 mm (50.0 in.)
Wheelbase 1,475 mm (58.1 in.)
Ground Clearance 330 mm (13.0 in.)
Seat Height 945 mm (37.2 in.)
Curb Mass** 106.0 kg (233.7 lbs.)
Fuel Capacity 6.1 litres (1.3 gal.)
** Includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90% of capacity) and tool kit (if supplied)
Lime Green KX250ZDF
* The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price does not include freight, pre-delivery inspection or applicable taxes. The final price is at the discretion of the dealer. Prices and Specifications are subject to change without prior notice.
The specifications mentioned here apply to and have been achieved by production models under standard operating conditions. We intend only to give a fair description of the vehicle and its performance capabilities but these specifications may not apply to every machine supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice. Equipment illustrated and specifications may vary to meet individual markets. Available colours may vary by market.
2013 Kawasaki KX100 – United Kingdom Specifications/Technical Details
UK MSRP Price: £TBA (Prices are recommended and inclusive of VAT @ 20% and delivery)
2013 Kawasaki KX100 – Australia Specifications/Technical Details
Australia MSRP Price: $TBA AU