Click photos to enlarge. Our big, clean bike pics make great desktop wallpaper.
2015 Yamaha YZ125 Review
2015 Yamaha YZ125 on www.Totalmotorcycle.com
The Legend Continues…
The 2015 YZ125 is the perfect transition from a YZ85 to a YZ250F. One ride and you will be amazed at the light handling and the simple fun the 2015 Yamaha YZ125 provides. Plus, that 2-stroke simplicity means low cost maintenance… a win-win for all the true moto fans out there.
Lightweight, quick and easy to maintain, the YZ125 is a perfect transition for those too big for 85’s but too small or inexperienced for bigger, more powerful 4-strokes. For 2015, we have re-designed the YZ125’s bodywork to provide a more modern and aggressive appearance; among other changes.
2015 Yamaha YZ125 www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
Modern, aggressive styling, including new front fender, front number plate, radiator shrouds, side number plates, air box, rear fender, fork guards, as well as some technical changes to the rear sprocket, rear brake disc protector, and rear brake caliper protector and wider foot pegs just like the 4 strokes.
•A light aluminum frame housing an amazingly light and compact engine results in an awesome power-to-weight ratio.
•The YZ125 is ready to race out of the crate, complete with an aluminum handlebar, titanium foot pegs, and gripper seat.
•A pure motocross machine, the light and nimble YZ125 is the perfect choice for riders stepping up from the 85cc class.
•Ultra lightweight means nimble handling with less fatigue.
New for 2015:
•Modern, aggressive new styling for 2015 looks awesome.
•The latest generator KYB® Speed-Sensitive fork just like the 4-stroke machines has been added and provides industry leading performance.
•A clutch lever position adjuster is adopted to allow adjustments based on rider preferences and accommodates differing hand sizes.
•The latest Dunlop MX52® tires are used for the best off-road traction, performance and reliability.
Liquid-cooled, 124cc, crankcase reed valve-inducted 2-stroke engine provides class leading power and acceleration and it’s easy to service too.
Ceramic composite cylinder bore is a “liner less” design with the ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block. The benefits include reduced weight (no heavy iron liner), reduced friction, extended cylinder life and excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery.
2015 Yamaha YZ125 www.Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
• Liquid-cooled, 124cc, crankcase reed valve-inducted 2-stroke engine provides class leading power and acceleration and it’s easy to service too.
• 7.5-degree cylinder angle and specially designed straight shot intake path through the combustion chamber provides maximum power output.
• Ceramic composite cylinder bore is a “liner less” design with the ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block. The benefits include reduced weight (no heavy iron liner), reduced friction, extended cylinder life and excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery.
• Specially designed combustion chamber achieves a more complete burn at higher rpms for exceptional power output.
• The flat top piston matches the combustion chamber design for maximum power delivery.
• In order to reduce frictional losses, the lightweight crank uses special friction reducing crankshaft seals that reduce reciprocating losses for improved power.
• Compact, lightweight crankcases.
• Quick-access, magnesium outer clutch cover is light weight and speeds clutch access.
• Close-ratio, 6-speed transmission uses optimized gear ratios to maximize power for outstanding acceleration and corner-exiting power.
• Yamaha’s patented YPVS system features a slide (guillotine) type power valve that provides the benefits of both solid, low-rpm power delivery combined with a strong top-end punch. This system varies the exhaust port height and timing based on engine rpm.
• Mikuni TMXx38 carburetor features a “D” slide design. The TMXx carb uses a “D” shaped slide design to enhance overall power, while providing crisp throttle response at all rpms.
• 6-petal, carbon fiber reed design means stronger high-rpm performance with greater over-rev capacity.
• CD (capacitor discharge) ignition system delivers a precise spark and monitors engine speed to ensure optimal timing at all rpms for fast, strong response.
• Washable, dual-stage, foam air filter reduces maintenance costs.
• Large-capacity, dual radiators feature 10-row cores to deliver maximum cooling efficiency.
• Lightweight exhaust system features a re-packable aluminum silencer which allows the rider / tuner to maintain the correct amount of back pressure for maximum engine performance while reducing noise.
• Works-style clutch lever features a race-spec “barrel adjuster” for on-the-fly clutch adjustments. Lever position can now be set to rider’s preference.
• Lightweight, aluminum, semi-double-cradle frame combined with the compact engine design, offers an awesome power to weight ratio. The obvious benefit of an aluminum frame is a significant reduction in overall machine weight. Yamaha has maintained the semi-double cradle design because it offers an excellent balance between stiff lateral and torsional rigidity while offering more controlled flex in the longitudinal plane. This frame design offers the ideal “stiffness balance” which means it offers the flexibility of a steel frame with the lighter weight of an aluminum frame. This frame is made from a unique mix of castings, forgings and extrusions that provide stiffness where it is required and controlled flexibility in other areas. The result is a super light aluminum frame, which provides excellent handling, good ride quality, excellent stability and responsive cornering performance.
• Removable rear subframe is constructed of square-section, lightweight aluminum. Detachable design allows easy access when servicing rear suspension components.
• Lightweight, tapered design aluminum swingarm is produced using “hydro forming”, a special forming method that uses high pressure water to form shapes.
• New cast aluminum upper and new forged lower triple clamps provide both lightweight and strength for fast, easy handling.
• Adjustable handlebar mounts allow the handlebars to be moved 10mm rearward if desired.
• “Speed Sensitive System” 48mm, adjustable, inverted, Kayaba cartridge fork features a twin-chamber design. The twin chamber design means the damper unit is in a separate structure which prevents aerated fork oil from entering the inner damper assembly and degrading its damping abilities. Since the inner damper is pressurized, it also eliminates bubbles forming in the oil. The Speed Sensitive design means the damping force is controlled by the piston speed in the fork.
• The balance between the inner and outer fork tubes has been optimized, while the Kashima coating on the pressure tank and the piston rod reduce friction for smoother suspension performance. The piston diameter is 24mm for excellent primary cushioning while low friction oil seals provide reduced stiction for a smoother stroke.
• This fork also features a Transfer Control Valve (TCV). The TCV enhances the damping force of the inner damper from mid stroke to full stroke and improves bottoming characteristics. The benefit of TCV is more precise control throughout the full stroke range.
• “Kashima coating” is applied to the fork tubes to reduce friction for smoother suspension performance. Front wheel travel is 300mm (11.8″).
• Front fork adjustments include: 20-way compression damping and 20-way rebound damping. Optional fork springs are available through Genuine Yamaha parts.
• New, large “wrap-around” plastic fork protectors provide excellent protection from dirt, mud and stone chips. The “self-supporting” design reduces friction for smoother fork operation.
• Monocross link rear suspension features a fully adjustable, Kayaba, piggyback shock which provides 315mm (12.4″) of wheel travel and features separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping. Adjustments include: spring preload, 20-way rebound damping, 20-way low-speed compression damping and 2 turns of high speed compression damping. The damper rod is 18mm in diameter, while Kashima coating is used in the shock body and sub tank to reduce friction and improve suspension performance during a long moto. The Kayaba shock utilizes a full rebound oil lock system for excellent suspension function and great ride quality.
• 250mm floating front disc brake features a “wave” style rotor (disc) which reduces weight, improves cooling and improves styling.
• Compact Nissin twin piston front caliper utilizes lightweight aluminum pistons. The braking performance is excellent with great feel and control.
• “Shorty” adjustable front brake lever is adjustable for various hand sizes.
• 245mm rear disc brake with single piston caliper uses an integrated master cylinder (fluid reservoir is integrated into the top of the master cylinder) for strong stopping power with excellent feel and control.
• “Wave” style rear rotor (disc) reduces weight, improves cooling and also adds a special styling highlight too.
• The rear single piston brake caliper features a new rugged plastic caliper protector, while the lower edge of the disc is protected by a new lower disc guard.
• New “Sun Star” rear sprocket increases the contact area between the sprocket and chain rollers, thereby reducing the load on the chain and increasing the service life of both chain and sprocket.
• Lightweight, D.I.D. 21″ front and 19″ rear rims provide exceptional durability and help reduce unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance and handling.
• New Dunlop MX52 series tires.
• All new, more aggressive body styling for 2015. Front fender, rad shrouds, side covers, rear fender, seat cover and graphics are new for 2015.
• “Flat-design” seat features multi density foam that provides good initial softness / comfort and then increases the firmness as more pressure is applied. The “pebble” finish on the top and side surfaces provides excellent rider grip and durability.
• Seat, handlebar and fuel tank ergonomics provide excellent freedom of movement for the rider.
• New, lightweight YZ250F/450F based wide footpegs provide excellent grip and ground clearance.
• Heavy-duty 520 gold anodized “O” ring chain.
• Rugged chain guide helps prevent the chain from de-railing and also helps to protect the rear sprocket.
• Serrated rear brake lever and folding shift lever tip offer superb grip and exceptional durability.
• Stainless steel, inner clutch cable provides excellent strength, smooth action and long life.
• E10 friendly fuel system components
2015 Yamaha YZ125 – www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $6,390 – Team Yamaha Blue/White – Available from August 2014
Engine Type 124cc, liquid-cooled, 2-stroke, reed-valve inducted
Bore x Stroke 54.0 x 54.5mm
Compression Ratio 8.6~10.7:1
Fuel Delivery Mikuni® TMX 38
Transmission Constant-mesh 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Chain
Suspension / Front Speed-sensitive system inverted fork; fully adjustable, 11.8-in travel
Suspension / Rear Fully adjustable single shock; 12.4-in travel
Brakes / Front Hydraulic single disc brake, 250mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic single disc brake, 245mm
Tires / Front 80/100-21 MX52 Dunlop®
Tires / Rear 100/90-19 MX52 Dunlop®
L x W x H 84.1 x 32.6 x 51.0 in
Seat Height 38.4 in
Wheelbase 56.8 in
Ground Clearance 14.4 in
Fuel Capacity 2.1 gal
Wet Weight*** 209 lb
Warranty 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)
2015 Yamaha YZ125 – www.Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $6,649 CDN
2-stroke, liquid-cooled, crankcase reed-valve, single
BORE AND STROKE
54.0 x 54.5 mm
Mikuni TMX x 38
IGNITION / STARTING
CDI / Kick
Adjustable 48 mm inverted fork / 300 mm (11.8″) travel
Fully adjustable link Monocross / 315 mm (12.4″) travel
250 mm floating disc / twin piston
245 mm disc / single piston
/// CRITICAL DATA
2,137 mm (84.1″)
827 mm (32.6”)
1,295 mm (51”)
1,443 mm (56.8”)
363 mm (14.4″)
973 mm (38.4”)
8 litres (1.8 imp. gal)
94 kg (207 lb)
Specifications, appearance, and price of product are subject to change without notice.
* MSRP does not include freight, PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection), pre-rigging (boats), or taxes. Dealer may sell for less. See your local dealer for out the door pricing.
± Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).