Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2010 Kawasaki KLX250SF
2010 Kawasaki KLX250SF
Sticky Street Rubber Meets Lightweight Dual-Sport; Big Fun Can’t Be Far Behind
Type “big fun in a small package” into your internet search and it might take you straight to the Kawasaki KLX™250SF supermoto. Based on Kawasaki’s critically acclaimed KLX250S dual sport on/off-road bike, the SF dials up maximum on-road fun with sticky street radials mounted on 17-inch wheels, a shorter seat height, a bit less suspension travel and a big front brake. It’s “just” a 250, but its light weight of just 302 pounds means the KLX250SF packs the sort of performance you’d expect from something bigger and more expensive. Few motorcycles — of any size or price — are capable of out-cornering it.
Compared to the KLX250S dual sport, the KLX250SF has reduced wheel travel at both ends, placing the center of gravity lower for improved on-road handling and enhanced straight-line stability. This also results in a more planted feel in corners and a lower seat height. The change in setup offers a firmer ride than the 250S, thanks to a change in front fork oil level and revised damping settings for both the fork and shock.
These changes provide a reduction in pitching motions during braking and acceleration, and help the rider hold a consistent line during aggressive on-road cornering. At the same time, the suspension is still supple enough to soak up most road surface irregularities and offer a smooth ride. The KLX250SF’s fully-adjustable suspension features 16-way adjustable compression and rebound damping on both the 43mm inverted cartridge-style front fork and the UNI-TRAK® rear suspension. Wheel travel is 9.1 inches front and 8.1 inches rear, which strikes a happy medium between long-travel off-road designs and short-travel sportbikes.
The KLX250SF’s short wheelbase aids its already outstanding ability to hold tight lines, and its rigid box-section perimeter frame provides excellent transitional response, thanks to its rigid steering head. Complementing the chassis is a lightweight aluminum swingarm with a highly-rigid D-shaped cross section and KX™ racing-type chain adjusters for precise chain adjustment.
The KLX250SF employs convenient electric starting for its compact, liquid-cooled, four-stroke, single-cylinder engine. The 249cc engine is mounted in a lightweight, high-tensile steel perimeter frame to deliver a low center of gravity and superb maneuvering on tight roads. A gear-driven engine balancer keeps engine vibrations at bay for greater comfort and less fatigue on long rides.
A 34mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK carburetor contributes to quick throttle response and precise power delivery. It also helps provide outstanding fuel economy. An evaporative emissions system allows the KLX250SF to meet strict CARB regulations, making it eligible for sale in all 50 states.
A six-speed transmission provides optimum gearing for most occasions and helps the rider keep the 249cc engine at its optimum rpm. A 39-tooth rear sprocket extends its high-speed capabilities beyond those of the KLX250S dual sport.
Negotiating urban traffic or blasting around a tight race track highlights another strength of the KLX250SF — it keeps its cool. Incorporating dual lightweight high-capacity Denso radiators and a shallow-footprint cooling fan provides an ample antidote to potential heat issues.
Seventeen-inch aluminum wheels offer great handling, improved stability and the aggressive on-road performance sought by urban commandos and canyon carvers, as well as the ability to mount a wide range of sportbike tires. Aggressive riding on pavement demands powerful, fade-resistant stopping capabilities, and the KLX250SF delivers with a massive, 300mm semi-floating petal disc up front clamped by a twin-piston caliper. The rotor is 4mm thick for increased rigidity, efficient heat dissipation, and optimum fade resistance. A single-piston caliper squeezing a 240mm rear petal disc complements the big front brake.
Aggressively styled bodywork finishes the package, with a comfortable seat and a KLX-specific handlebar that offers good leverage so riders can flick the light KLX250SF side to side, or hold a tight line with a minimum of effort.
Riders seeking supermoto handling and modern engine performance in a lightweight motorcycle designed for exciting street rides will find it at their local Kawasaki dealership. The KLX250SF offers serious capabilities in a fun, easy-to-ride package, regardless of where the adventure takes it.
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
Features and Benefits:
Single-cylinder 249cc DOHC Engine
– Compact engine design is lightweight and high revving, with a broad torque curve
– Good mass centralization for superior handling
– Flat-top piston and pentroof combustion chamber deliver an 11:1 compression ratio
– Lightweight piston, piston pin and connecting rod enable higher revs for maximum power
– Aluminum cylinder features electrofusion coating, which allows a tight piston-cylinder clearance for greater horsepower and offers increased engine life thanks to superior heat transfer and lubrication retention properties
– A gear-driven engine balancer provides smooth power delivery from idle to redline
– 34mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK carburetor delivers the optimum amount of fuel at all rpm, contributing to quick response and healthy power, as well as good fuel economy
– Dual high-capacity, vertical-flow Denso radiators provide reliable and efficient engine cooling
– Radiators feature tightly packed cores and a fin design for excellent heat dispersion
– More consistent engine temperatures allow tighter engine clearances for quieter running and sustained power, while promoting longer engine life
– Cooling fan is powered by a shallow-footprint electric motor
Four Valve Cylinder Head
– Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow to for low end torque and efficient high-rpm breathing for more power
– Quick and easy push-button starting
– Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release (KACR) automatically lifts one of the exhaust valves at cranking rpm, for reduced starting effort
– An evaporative emissions system that meets strict CARB regulations means the KLX250SF is available in California too
– Secondary air system helps provide clean emissions
– Allows engine’s full potential to be used
– Provides excellent acceleration as well as relaxed highway cruising
– Matched to a 14/39 final gearing to enhance its open road performance
Inverted Front Fork
– 43mm inverted cartridge fork offers excellent rigidity and consistent damping performance
– 9.1-inch wheel travel for increased straight-line stability, more-consistent handling in corners and a low seat height
– 16-way compression and rebound damping adjustment allows tuning for differences in rider weight or various terrain profiles
UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
– Linkage and damping settings fine-tuned for optimum street performance and reduced front-rear pitching motion compared to the KLX250S
– 8.1-inch rear-wheel travel for enhanced straight-line stability, handling in corners and a low seat height
– Progressive linkage rate provides a smooth ride and excellent bottoming resistance
– The gas-charged shock features 16-way adjustable compression and rebound damping and remote reservoir
– Lightweight, aluminum D-section swingarm is highly rigid and reduces unsprung weight
– KX™ racing-type chain adjusters allow precise adjustment to minimize drivetrain power losses
– Lightweight, high-tensile steel for amazing rigidity
– Handlebar offers a relaxed position and effortless control
– Footpegs are positioned close to the bike’s centerline
– Seat shape and stiff urethane makes it easier to change seating position
– Headlight and front fender design contribute to the aggressive look
– Two-piece radiator shrouds
– Rear fender is a two-piece unit featuring a sharp tail light design that offers increased visibility and further contributes to the KLX’s aggressive styling
Narrow Fuel Tank
– Narrow tank design gives riders maximum comfort and control without sacrificing capacity
– All-digital instrument console gives at-a-glance information that includes a digital bar-graph tachometer, digital speedometer, clock, and dual trip meters
Petal disc brakes
– Front and rear disc brakes offer impressive stopping performance
– Twin-piston caliper grips a 300 mm petal disc up front and a single-piston caliper grips the rear 240mm petal disc
– Features 17-inch wheels like its larger supersport brothers, for excellent road handling and plenty of tire options
– Low-profile sportbike tires on wide rims contribute to its easy, neutral handling at low speeds
2010 Kawasaki KLX250SF Technology
The KLX250SF is powered by a compact liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, single cylinder engine. With a bore and stroke of 72 x 61.2 mm, the engine displaces 249 cc.
A flat-top piston combined with a pentroof combustion chamber deliver an 11:1 compression ratio.
The KLX250SF engine features an electrofusion cylinder. The ultra-hard coating in the aluminum cylinder bore offers superior heat transfer with light weight.
The lightweight piston, piston pin, and connecting rod allow high revs.
The 4-valve DOHC cylinder head provides maximum valve area for optimum flow to boost low end torque.
The 34 mm semi-flat slide CVK carburetor delivers the optimum amount of fuel at all rpm, contributing to sharp response, strong power, and excellent fuel economy.
A gear-driven engine balancer ensures smooth power delivery from idle to redline. On long rides, this means greater rider comfort and less fatigue.
With an electric starter and Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release (KACR), which automatically lifts an exhaust valve at cranking rpm, starting the KLX250SF is a breeze.
Precise control of ignition timing by the digital, DC-current-powered Capacitor Discharge Ignition contributes to easy starts and reliability under extreme conditions.
Dual high-capacity Denso radiators like those used on our KX motocross bikes deliver superior cooling efficiency and contribute to space and weight savings. The radiators are very slim and feature tightly packed cores and a fin design for excellent heat dispersion.
Powerful three-phase alternator puts out 224 watts power @ 5000 rpm.
Environmentally friendly, a pipe catalyser and secondary air injection system ensure clean emissions.
The muffler is equipped with a spark arrester, meaning the KLX250SF can access designated off-road areas.
Transmission ratios set the 6th gear ratio closer to the 5th gear ratio, facilitating smother shifting for increased performance.
Modified final drive ratio (42/14 – 39/14) matches new road tire circumference. Engine speed in top gear reduced approximately 100 rpm to just over 5000 rpm @ 100 km/h.
Frame and chassis components based on the KLX300R are the source of the KLX250SF’s high-level of performance. Chassis updates for the SF increase street rideability and control. Wide, black coated, 36 spoke, aluminum rims.
The KLX250SF’s box and tubular-section high-tensile steel perimeter frame creates a slim, lightweight package.
The 25.5° steering head angle and short wheelbase contribute to quick handling, while the high rigidity of the frame ensures straight-line stability.
Revised front suspension settings intensify the street handling character.
The 43 mm inverted cartridge-style front fork comes with revised street settings for travel, springs, and the 16-position compression damping adjustments. The cartridge provides consistent damping force by minimizing aeration of the fork oil.
Travel is reduced 25 mm for street stability. Front fork travel: 255 – 230 mm
Fork guards protect the inner tubes from rocks and brush.
Wide, black coated, 36 spoke, aluminum
Front: 3.00-17, RK Excel
Rear: 4.00-17, RK Excel
Performance matched IRC Road Winner tires:
Front: 110/70-17, RX-01F
Rear: 130/70-17, RX-01R
Uni-trak linkage reduces front-rear pitching motion, resulting in increased straight-line stability and a more planted feel in corners.
The nitrogen-filled, remote reservoir rear shock has 16-position compression and 8-position rebound damping and threadless preload adjustability.
Revised shock settings for damping, spring, and travel complements the more street orientation of the KLX250SF.
Rear travel is reduced 25 mm for street stability.
Rear suspension travel: 230 – 205 mm.
Lightweight, highly rigid aluminum D-section swingarm contributes to reduced unsprung weight.
Swingarm is wider to allow for greater tire selection.
KX racing-type chain adjusters allow precise adjustment of chain slack, helping to minimise drivetrain power transfer loss.
New front disc brake offers impressive stopping performance. A pin-slide, twin-piston caliper grips a 300 mm semi-floating petal disc .
Pin-slide, single-piston caliper operates the 240 mm rear petal disc.
Wheel rigidity is increased care of thicker spokes (3.5 mm – 4.0 mm) contributes to lighter, smoother handling and offers greater durability for off-road riding.
Digital instrument console gives at-a-glance information.
Dash features include a digital bar-graph tachometer, digital speedometer, clock, dual trip meters, as well as indicator lamps for neutral, overheat, high beam, and turn signals.
Front cowl and headlamp design give the KLX250SF an aggressive visage.
Compact turn signals with clear lenses sharpen the sporty styling.
On-road front fender contributes to the aggressive design.
Bright H4 headlight (60/55W) provides secure lighting at night.
Sealed, MF battery reduces maintenance chores.
Seat shape uses stiff urethane making it easier to change seating position.
Reduced seat height instills greater confidence for new riders and improves road handling. Seat height is reduced 30mm (890mm -> 860mm).
The Off-road style rear fender is a two-piece construction.
Tail light design offers increased visibility and further contributes to the KLX’s aggressive styling.
Quick convertible front footrests gives the rider the choice of rubber surface for street riding and serrated steel for off-road.
2010 Kawasaki KLX250SF – USA Specifications
MSRP $5,599 USD
Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four-valve single
Bore x stroke: 72.0 x 61.2mm
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Carburetion: Keihin CVK34
Ignition: Digital CDI
Final drive: Chain
Frame: Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel
Rake / trail: 25.5 degrees / 2.9 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 43mm Inverted Cartridge Fork with 16-Way Compression and Rebound Damping Adjustment / 9.1 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAK® with Adjustable Preload, 16-Way Compression and Rebound Damping Adjustment / 8.1 in.
Front tire: 110/70×17
Rear tire: 130/70×17
Front brake: 300mm semi-floating petal disc with two-piston hydraulic caliper
Rear brake: 240mm petal disc with single-piston hydraulic caliper
Overall length: 83.9 in.
Overall width: 31.3 in.
Overall height: 44.9 in.
Ground clearance: 8.9 in.
Seat height: 33.9 in.
Curb weight: 302.1 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 2.0 gal.
Wheelbase: 55.9 in.
Color: Oriental Blue
Warranty: 12 months
Good Times™ Protection Plan 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
Warranty 12 Months
*Note: Specifications and pricing are subject to change.
2010 Kawasaki KLX250SF – Canada Specifications
MSRP: $6,699 CDN
Type 4-stroke, Single
Displacement 249 cc
Bore & Stroke 72.0 x 61.2 mm
Compression Ratio 11.0:1
Valve System DOHC, 4 valves
Carburetor Keihin CVK34
Ignition Digital DC-CDI
Lubrication Forced lubrication, wet sump
Final Drive Chain
Transmission 6-speed, return
Primary Drive Gear
Primary Reduction Ratio 2.800 (84/30)
Gear Ratios: 1st 3.000 (30/10)
2nd 2.000 (30/15)
3rd 1.500 (27/18)
4th 1.250 (25/20)
5th 1.050 (21/20)
6th 0.952 (20/21)
Final Reduction Ratio 2.786 (39/14)
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual, cable operation
Type Perimeter high-tensile steel
Wheel travel: Rear 205 mm
Wheel Travel: Front 230 mm
Tires: Front 110/70-17 (54S)
Tires: Rear 130/70-17 (62S)
Rims: Front 3.00-17 Excel
Rims: Rear 4.00-17 Excel
Caster (Rake) 25.5°
Trail 73 mm
Steering angle (Left/Right) 41° / 41°
Suspension, Front 43 mm inverted cartridge-type, 16-click compression damping
Suspension, Rear Uni-Trak with fully adjustable spring preload, 16-click compression damping, 8-click rebound damping
Front: Type 300 mm semi-floating petal disc
Rear: Type 240 mm petal disc
Overall Length 2,130mm
Overall Width 795 mm
Overall Height 1,140 mm
Wheelbase 1,420 mm
Ground Clearance 225 mm
Seat Height 860 mm
Curb Mass 137 kg
Fuel Capacity 7.7 litres
Colours Oriental Blue
Warranty 12 months
Good Times Protection Plan 24 or 36 months (Kawasaki GTPP coverage begins after the standard limited warranty expires)
The specifications mentioned here apply to and have been achieved by production models under standard operating conditions. We intend only to give a fair description of the vehicle and its performance capabilities but these specifications may not apply to every machine supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice. Equipment illustrated and specifications may vary to meet individual markets. Available colours may vary by market.