+ 2015 Motorcycles
+ 2014 Motorcycles
+ 2013 Motorcycles
+ 2012 Motorcycles
+ 2011 Motorcycles
+ 2010 Motorcycles
+ 2009 Motorcycles
+ 2008 Motorcycles
+ 2007 Motorcycles
+ 2006 Motorcycles
+ 2005 Motorcycles
+ 2004 Motorcycles
+ 2003 Motorcycles
+ 2002 Motorcycles
+ 2001 Motorcycles
+ 2000 Motorcycles
+ 1970-1999 Models
+ 2009-2013 ATVs
+ Concept Bikes
Guides & Resources
+ Beginner's Guide
+ Bikers Dictionary
+ Buyers Guide
+ Concept Bike Guide
+ Compare Bike/ATVs
+ Fuel Economy Guide
+ Maintenance Guide
+ Mfg Compendium
+ Model History Guide
+ Motorcycle Cool Wall
+ Motorcycle Events
+ Motorcycle News
+ Motorcycle Reviews
+ Performance Guide
+ Product Reviews
+ Restoration Tips
+ Specs Handbook
+ Tire/Tyre Guide
+ TMW Museum
+ TMW Interviews
+ Travel Guide
+ Shopping Guide
+ Unit Converter Guide
+ Moto Guzzi
+ MV Agusta
+ Royal Enfield
+ Motorcycle Forums
+ Photo Gallery
+ Become a TMW fan!
+ On Facebook
+ On Google Plus
+ On Twitter
+ On YouTube
+ RSS News Feed
+ RSS Forum Feed
+ Old Photo Galleries
+ Contests & Prizes
+ TMW T-Shirts
+ Search This Site
+ Add us to your site
Advertising & Media
+ Advertise on TMW
+ Our Sponsors
+ Contact Us
+ TMW Recognition
+ TMW Staff
+ Our Motorcycles
+ Our Ride Photos
+ Site Map
Honda CBR954RR Fireblade
Back to 2003 Honda Motorcycle Index Page
Click on photos to enlarge.
It makes a great desktop image.
With its incredible balance between power and handling, the CBR954RR is the
world's foremost open-class sportbike. The CBR954RR's 954cc inline four engine
features both low-end pulling power and fearsome top-end punch for a thrill
unmatched in the open-class sportbike class.
New for 2003
· Exciting new Metallic Titanium/Black and Black/Red colors.
· The CBR(r)954RR produces 154 bhp at 11,250 rpm and 74.6 lb./ft. of torque at 9,000 rpm with a 12,150-rpm rev limiter.
· 168 kilogram dry weight results in incredible power-to-weight ratio.
· An oil spray is directed toward the undersides of the pistons to ensure the pistons remain cool, enhancing power and contributing to long engine life.
· Each electronic fuel injector has 12 laser-drilled jet holes for finer fuel atomization, resulting in smoother, more responsive throttle performance and faster, more efficient combustion for stronger power output.
· Advanced programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) features a sophisticated throttle sensor and advanced fuel injection mapping to produce smooth and linear throttle response for precise throttle adjustments.
· Swingarm showcases HRC's latest racing technology with a huge right-side pressed box-section coupled to a reinforced left-side extrusion.
· Brake calipers (two front, one rear) feature Nimuflon(tm)-coated steel pistons and Teflon-coated rollback seals to enhance braking feel under repeated hard use.
· Narrow-eye multi-reflector headlight has a single, central H7 low/high beam surrounded by two additional H7 high beams to brilliantly illuminate the night roadway.
· LED taillight provides brilliant illumination and exceptionally long life.
· Sixteen-valve cylinder head features 29mm intake and 24mm exhaust valves with an 11.5:1 compression ratio for efficient combustion and high horsepower.
· Narrow, 25 degree included valve angle (13 degree intake/12 degree exhaust) provides a direct path for the incoming air/fuel charge for improved engine breathing and increased power. The narrow angle also helps make the CBR954RR engine compact and light.
· Forged steel camshafts are carburized and tempered, providing superior strength and lighter weight compared to conventional cast designs.
· Direct shim-under-bucket valve actuation system ensures high-rpm durability and allows 24,000 kilometre valve maintenance intervals.
· High-pressure programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) delivers fuel at 50 psi to the four injectors mounted in each 42mm throttle body. Fuel is delivered through 12 laser-drilled nozzle holes in each injector, producing a very fine spray and a highly combustible air/fuel charge for maximum combustion efficiency and power.
· Auto-enriching system is integrated into PGM-FI module, eliminating the need for a manual choke.
· Forged aluminum pistons are screen-printed with LUB-Coat finish to minimize friction between the piston and cylinder.
· Aluminum composite cylinder sleeves are high-pressure-formed from sintered aluminum powder impregnated with ceramic and graphite. The lightweight composite sleeves provide better wear resistance and superior heat dissipation compared to conventional sleeves.
· Electronic ECU provides two digital 3-D fuel injection maps for each cylinder and one digital 3-D ignition map for cylinder pairs, creating ideal fuel mixture and spark advance settings for superb rideability.
· Four transistorized direct-ignition coils integrate the spark plug cap and high-tension lead to produce a high-voltage, long-duration spark for maximum performance and superb throttle response.
· Honda's Variable Intake/Exhaust Management System (HVIX(tm)) manages the intake and exhaust charges. An intake valve in the 10-litre airbox maintains a constant-velocity, variable-volume flow of cool, fresh air to the PGM-FI system.
· The unique Honda Titanium Exhaust Valve (HTEV(tm)) located in the exhaust collector provides the scavenging and power benefits of a 180 degree exhaust collector design at 0-3000 rpm, and transitions exhaust flow to a 360 degree collector design at 3000-7000 rpm, then combines 180 degree and 360 degree configurations at engine speeds above 7000 rpm to maintain maximum power output.
· Magnesium head cover is exceptionally light and strong.
· Round, liquid-cooled stainless steel oil cooler is lightweight and efficient.
· Maintenance-free automatic cam-chain tensioner.
· Lightweight curved aluminum radiator keeps engine temperatures in check for consistent performance and long engine life.
· Bearingless water pump features a high-efficiency design.
· Exotic titanium used in exhaust header, HTEV and muffler housing.
· Nine-plate clutch design is compact and tough, featuring durable friction plate material.
· Smooth-shifting close-ratio six-speed transmission ratios are carefully matched to the engine's powerband.
· Durable #530 O-ring-sealed drive chain.
· Lightweight twin-spar extruded aluminum frame features a pivotless swingarm design utilizing a cast aluminum bracket attached to the engine's swingarm pivots. This combination provides an exceptionally light, tuned-flex design offering superb road feel and excellent rigidity.
· Tapered and braced box-section swingarm provides exceptional lateral and torsional rigidity.
· A cast aluminum bracket reaches underneath the swingarm and attaches to the swingarm pivots, forming a D-shape swingarm mounting enclosure that increases rigidity of the swingarm-to-engine mounting.
· 43mm inverted aluminum-slider Honda Multi-Action System(tm) (HMAS(tm)) cartridge fork features spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability, and offers precise action and unparalleled rigidity.
· Pro-Link(r) rear suspension features a high-quality HMAS damper with an integrally cast reservoir, 13-position spring preload, rebound damping and compression damping adjustability for superior rear wheel control.
· Braking system features huge, 330mm front floating discs with four-piston calipers and a 220mm rear disc with a single-piston caliper for exceptional stopping power.
· Super-light aluminum-alloy hollow-spoke wheels feature race-spec 3.5 x 17-inch front and 6.0 x 17-inch rear dimensions.
· Unique bank-angle sensor shuts off fuel supply to PGM-FI system if the motorcycle tips over, but is unaffected by bumps and vibration in normal operation.
· High-capacity, 475-watt AC generator.
· High-tech instrument display includes black-face electronic tachometer, LCD readouts for speedometer, coolant temperature, odometer, two tripmeters and a clock. A low-fuel LED light is located in the tachometer.
· Lightweight front brake lever has a compact adjuster and incorporates the return spring in the master cylinder.
· Key-lockable 6-litre rear cowl storage box is designed to hold most commonly available U-type and cable locking devices. (Lock not included.)
· Convenient ignition switch/fork lock for added security.
· Lightweight, recyclable oil filter cartridge.
954cc liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder
Bore and Stroke
75mm x 54mm
DOHC; four valves per cylinder
PGM-FI with automatic enricher circuit
#530 O-ring-sealed chain
43mm inverted HMAS cartridge fork with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; 110mm (4.3 in.) travel
HMAS Pro-Link single shock with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; 135mm (5.3 in.) travel
Dual full-floating 330mm discs with four-piston calipers
Single 220mm disc with single-piston caliper
1400mm (55.1 in.)
815mm (32.1 in.)
168kg (370 pounds)
18 litres (4.0 gal.)
Specifications are subject to change without notice, in accordance with national
regulation and legislations.