46 Years of Models
+ 2017 Motorcycles
+ 2016 Motorcycles
+ 2015 Motorcycles
+ 2014 Motorcycles
+ 2013 Motorcycles
+ 2012 Motorcycles
+ 2011 Motorcycles
+ 2010 Motorcycles
+ 2000 - 2009 Models
+ 1990 - 1999 Models
+ 1980 - 1989 Models
+ 1970 - 1979 Models
+ ATV Guides
+ Concept Bikes
Guides & Resources
+ Beginner's Guide
+ Biker's Dictionary
+ Buyer's Guide
+ Compare Bike/ATVs
+ MPG Guide
+ Maintenance Guide
+ Mfg Compendium
+ Model History Guide
+ Cool Wall
+ Performance Guide
+ Restoration Tips
+ Specs Handbook
+ Tire/Tyre Guide
+ TMW History
+ Travel Guide
+ Shopping Guide
+ Unit Converters
+ Moto Guzzi
+ MV Agusta
+ Royal Enfield
+ Photo Gallery
+ Google Plus
+ Old Photo Gallery
+ TMW Merchandise
Advertising & Media
+ Contact Us
+ Site Map
All content on Total Motorcycle is copyright protected and actively monitored by DMCA Protection Services.
Motorcycle is family owned and operated
By Riders, For Riders, 250 Million readers for over 16 years.
Back to 2010 Zero Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
- 2010 Zero S
2010 Zero S
Imagine instant torque and power from a standstill. Imagine smooth acceleration as you race out of turns. Then, imagine never needing to stop at the gas station.
Developed to aggressively take on urban environments and encourage the occasional detour, the Zero S integrates revolutionary technology with innovative motorcycle design. Using Zero Motorcycles proprietary Z-Force power pack and aircraft grade alloy frame, the Zero S features an industry leading power-to-weight ratio that increases its range and maneuverability.
Instant acceleration and a lightweight design enable the Zero S to take on any city street, hill or obstacle. Whether accelerating onto the highway or out of the turns, the Zero S is designed for performance.
Frame / Bodywork
Aircraft grade aluminum is exclusively used in the construction of the lightweight and rigid Zero S twin spar frame. One look at the frame and it speaks for itself. It is aggressive, strong and one of the main reasons that the Zero S can take on anything in an urban environment. Designed to have a low center of gravity, the Zero S is highly maneuverable and responsive. The body is completed using custom injected molded plastics to give it aerodynamics and aggressive supermoto styling.
- Frame and bodywork designed from the ground up by Zero Motorcycles
- Extremely rigid and lightweight twin spar aircraft grade aluminum frame
- Custom injected molded plastics with new color graphics for aggressive styling and aerodynamics
- Designed to have a low center of gravity for better maneuverability and responsiveness
Power Pack / Electronics
Years of development and proprietary Z-Force technology make the Zero S a leader in acceleration, range and longevity. Using an advanced monitoring system, each cell in the power pack is individually controlled during charge and discharge. The onboard charger integrates into this system and uses a specially developed charge profile to optimize the power packs recharge time. Using isolated power systems the Zero S uses a standard 12 volt current to run the dash, lighting and other on board accessories.
- Proprietary Z-Force power pack for increased acceleration and range
- Redundant safety features to accommodate extreme conditions
- Isolated power systems and 12 volt system for running accessories
- Onboard charger that uses a specially developed charge profile
- Keyed ignition tied to a solenoid switch for a safe and instant power up
Motor / Z-Force Air Induction
A compact and powerful motor drives the Zero S. The new Z-Force Air Induction system allows the Zero S to output more power from the motor by efficiently moving air through its core. Mounted low on the frame to increase maneuverability, the highly efficient motor lowers the center of gravity while providing high torque and acceleration.
- Z-Force Air Induction system allows for increased motor performance
- Powerful, low weight and compact motor
- Highly efficient and low maintenance permanent magnet motor design
Wheels and Brakes
The Zero S wheels are engineered to minimize unsprung weight and reduce rotating mass. Designed specifically for the Zero S, the lightweight construction includes custom hubs, spokes, and rotors. To maximize overall wheel strength the hub is configured to use straight pull spokes. The resulting wheel is lighter, stronger and more responsive.
- Specially developed high performance wheel set
- Aggressive profile street tires
- Custom designed hubs for reduced weight and maximum wheel strength
- High strength/lightweight straight pull spokes
- Full float calipers
- Custom foot actuated rear and hand actuated front brake
The suspension on the Zero S was developed by Zero to take advantage of the motorcycles lightweight design. Its inverted front fork is among the lightest in the industry and can be externally adjusted to dial in compression and rebound damping. A rigid double diamond rear swing arm keeps the wheel planted using a custom rear shock with a fully adjustable spring preload and easily tuned damping.
- Zero designed lightweight front end (lightest in the industry)
- Inverted front fork to reduce unsprung weight
- Fully adjustable rebound and compression damping on the front
- Custom rear shock with adjustable spring preload and damping
- Unique double diamond aircraft grade aluminum rear swingarm for reduced weight and increased torsional rigidity
Dash / Lights
The dash is designed by Zero to quickly and accurately provide information on speed, charge and motor temperature. In the evening the dash lights up with the flip of a switch and is accompanied by a high intensity headlight.
- Digital and analog speed display
- Motor temperature sensor
A clutchless one speed, the Zero S is geared for rapid acceleration and increased efficiency. Using a direct chain drive and hardened alloy sprockets the Zero S is able to achieve minimal frictional loss. This increases the overall range and channels power into speed.
- Clutchless one speed
- Geared for rapid acceleration and maximum efficiency
- Minimal maintenance
2010 Zero S - International Specifications
MSRP: $9,950 USD (Eligible for a 10% Federal Tax Credit in the USA**)
Motor Type Brushed permanent magnet electric
Top speed 67 mph (105 km/h)
Power System Type Patent-pending lithium ion array
Capacity 4 kWh (58volts @ 70Ah)
Range Up to 50 miles (80 km)* - See real world range testsRecharge time Less than 4 hours
Charger type On-board
Input Standard 110V or 220V
Drive Train Transmission Clutchless one speed
Drive system 16T / 53T, 420 Chain
Chassis / Suspension / Brakes Front suspension travel 8 inches (203.2 mm)
Rear suspension travel 8 inches (203.2 mm)
Front brakes 2 Piston hydraulic, stainless rotor, hand actuated
Rear brakes 1 Piston hydraulic, stainless rotor, foot actuated
Front tire 110/70-16
Rear tire 140/70-16
Dimensions Wheel base 56.8 inches (144.3 cm)
Seat height (standard) 34 inches (86.4 cm)
Low seat height (option) 32 inches (81.3 cm)
Rake 22 degrees
Trail 3.26 inches (82.8 mm)
Steering angle + 35 Degrees, -35 Degrees
Weight Frame 18 pounds (8.16 kg)
Power pack 95 pounds (43.1 kg)
Curb weight 273 pounds (123.8 kg)
GVWR 575 pounds (260.8 kg)
Carrying capacity 302 pounds (136.0 kg)
Economy Typical cost to recharge Less than $.01 per mile or kilometer
*Range varies based on riding style.
**Federal Tax Credit and Sales Tax Deduction
The Zero S is eligible for the recently passed 10% federal tax credit. This effectively reduces the purchase price of your motorcycle by $1000 and reduces the total cost to around $8,995.