OFF-ROAD “X”CELLENCE. AND AWESOMENESS.
2020 Honda CRF450X:
We changed up the Honda CRF450X in a big way last year, and right out of the gate it went out and won the Baja 1000. And not just the motorcycle class either—it roosted on those million-dollar trophy trucks too. But that’s hardly a surprise, given how good this bike is for the serious off-road racer. For 2020 we freshened up the look a bit, but the hardware is still everything you want. Awesome motor. Wide-ratio six-speed gearbox. Aluminum chassis. Electric starter. And long-travel suspension designed for the desert, the woods, and everywhere in between.
With wins in 21 of the last 22 Baja 1000s (including 12 with the CRF450X), it’s no secret that Honda rules the legendary off-road race, and in the Baja debut of the model’s new iteration, SLR Honda kicked off the 2019 SCORE International series with a win in the San Felipe 250. A true off-road machine, the CRF450X is 50-state off-road legal and is suitable for year-round racing and trail riding. With off-road appropriate features like a sidestand, 18-inch rear wheel, headlight, sealed chain and six-speed transmission, it’s ready for desert expanses or tight woods, and it gets new graphics for the 2020 model year.
2020 Honda CRF450X Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- Lightweight, 2.0 gallon titanium fuel tank offers good range
- Aluminum sidestand facilitates trailside stops
- 18-inch rear wheel enables tall tire sidewall for optimum traction in technical conditions
- Lightweight, compact digital meter with black characters on a white liquid-crystal background is easily legible while riding
- Off-road-ready, emissions-compliant muffler with spark arrestor
- Endless sealed chain withstands the elements
- Lightweight, compact halogen headlight and LED taillight extend riding time
The newest iterations of Honda’s proven full-size motocross models—the CRF250R and CRF450R, as well as the elite CRF450RWE—all receive important upgrades to raise performance levels even higher, while the CRF150R mini is back again in 2020. The CRF450RX and CRF250RX closed-course off-road racers benefit from the same improvements as their track-focused siblings, while the CRF450X off-roader and CRF450L dual-sport machine return for the new model year with updated graphics. At the other end of the spectrum, the approachable, fun 2020 CRF250F, CRF125F, CRF110F and CRF50F await recreational riders with trail-focused performance and proven reliability.
“For generations, Honda has demonstrated its commitment to the dirt bike market, and that’s never been truer than now,” said Chris Cox, American Honda’s Manager of Experiential Marketing/Press. “Our 2020 lineup of off-road models, including the CRF Performance and CRF Trail families, comprises machines that are top-of-class for motocross, off-road competition, trail riding and, in the case of the CRF450L, even using streets to extend off-road adventures. With such a capable and diverse collection of motorcycles, you can once again expect to see a lot of red on tracks and trails from coast to coast.”
CRF PERFORMANCE LINE
Last year saw Honda significantly expand its CRF Performance family to include machines for riding applications including motocross, closed-course off-road, pure off-road, and even dual sport. For 2020, a number of models in the lineup get important upgrades to keep Red Riders running at the front of the pack.
CRF TRAIL LINE
Motorcycling is armed with legions of riders who got their start on Honda trail bikes, and with the 2020 lineup of CRF Trail models, that trend is sure to continue long into the future.
2020 Honda CRF450X Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
- 449.7cc Unicam® engine specially tailored for off-road riding
- Finger rocker arm contributes to compact layout, while its dedicated design attains off-road-appropriate power characteristics. DLC surface treatment reduces friction
- Dedicated valve timing for smooth power delivery in technical riding
- High crank inertia (up 12% over CRF450R) for tractable power delivery in technical terrain
- 12.0:1 compression ratio
- New piston with three-ring design
- Wide-ratio six-speed transmission is ready for a wide variety of off-road terrain. Construction from high-strength material ensures durability in demanding conditions
- Special clutch design enables light lever pull. Primary damper mechanism with friction springs suppresses engine torque fluctuations for smooth running
- Large-capacity radiators with high heat-exchange efficiency for strong performance in demanding off-road conditions
- ECU with dedicated settings
- Specially developed exhaust system with optimized pipe length and diameter for excellent responsiveness at low rpm
- Aluminum twin-spar frame designed for nimble yet stable handling on trails
- Subframe designed for optimum rigidity during off-road riding
- 49mm Showa fork with dedicated settings for challenging terrain
- CRF450R-inspired front brake but with dedicated master cylinder and hose for off-road-appropriate braking performance
- Lightweight lithium-ion battery with increased capacity compared to CRF450R, to power lighting
- Front and rear sprockets feature damper system for smooth, quiet running
- Fuel-tank cap with cut-off valve prevents fuel from flowing out of tank if the bike is on its side
- Easily accessible electronic component box on left side of frame
- Gray metallic Renthal handlebar with red pad
- Compact, lightweight handlebar switches
- In-mold graphics last long and are resistant to peeling caused by washing or abrasion
- Fork protectors are shaped to prevent damage in off-road riding
- Dunlop MX52 tires provide excellent traction and feel in wide range of conditions
WIDE-RATIO SIX-SPEED TRANSMISSION
Having six speeds in the CRF450X’s transmission compared to an MX bike’s typical five gives you more choice, and makes this versatile bike even more versatile. You have a gear for everything from east-coast rock crawling to wide-open Baja blasts.
Light, compact, and offering excellent performance—just like the CRF450X itself! Conventional batteries are heavy, but not this premium piece. It’s all part of why your new CRF450X performs as well as it does.
The CRF450X gets a special crankshaft, different from our CRF450R MX bikes and our CRF450L dual-sport. Why? The crank’s weight and inertial character make a huge difference in how a bike delivers power. A crank is expensive, but it’s no place to scrimp and try to save—with the CRF450X, power delivery is just what you want.
The CRF450X’s dual radiators feature a refined core area for superior heat dissipation compared with conventional dual-radiator designs. A coolant recovery tank is located in front of the engine between the frame downtubes for improved center of gravity, and the tank is protected by a plastic skid plate.
TITANIUM FUEL TANK
Holding 2.01 gallons, the CRF450X’s premium titanium tank is light and tough.
The CRF450X’s factory skid plate is light, yet also offers the engine and lower-frame protection serious riders demand on a machine like this.
Your CRF450X comes equipped with a complete lighting package (headlight and taillight) for riding at dusk.
An electric start system ensures trouble-free starting in all conditions. The electric starter also drives the clutch side of the crankshaft to provide superior lubrication to starter gears while producing a narrow engine with a short, strong crank.
449cc UNICAM® ENGINE
Honda’s Unicam® cylinder heads combine the best of single- and double-overhead-cam designs. The configuration contributes to a compact engine that saves weight over a comparable dual-overhead-camshaft motor and also permits a narrow included valve angle. This flattens the combustion chamber to facilitate ignition flame propagation, allowing a high compression ratio. Since less space is taken up in the cylinder head, the camshaft sits lower in the head for a more compact engine and a lower center of gravity.
TITANIUM INTAKE AND EXHAUST VALVES
Lightweight titanium intake and exhaust valves permit use of smaller valve springs, reducing overall engine height.
The CRF450X features our proven fuel-injection system. It’s part of the reason the CRF450X offers such excellent torque and spot-on metering and response, especially in the critical low-rpm range. It also automatically compensates for elevation and weather changes.
The CRF450X uses a twin-spar aluminum chassis that takes advantage of all the lessons we’ve learned on the MX track and from winning countless Bajas. The frame is both light and stiff, and provides the basis for the CRF450X’s excellent handling. The chassis is also wider than the standard MX frame to accommodate the six-speed transmission.
DUNLOP MX52 TIRES
The CRF450X’s Dunlop MX52 tires give you good superior off-road traction in a wide variety of terrain and conditions. Tires are always a critical part of any on/off-road bike, and we’ve hooked you up with some great ones here.
LOW CENTER OF GRAVITY
The compact Unicam engine and Honda’s famous concentration on center-of-mass engineering help keep the CRF450X’s center of gravity low. That means the bike feels lighter, and it helps handling too.
WORKS-STYLE FRONT BRAKE
Compact twin-piston front brake caliper, anodized-aluminum brake pistons and lightweight 260mm front disc offer great stopping power while minimizing unsprung weight for improved turning and handling.
WORKS-STYLE REAR BRAKE
HRC works-type rear brake system uses a 240mm brake rotor to its integrated rear master-cylinder and fluid reservoir, a set-up that eliminates the separate reservoir and hose.
18-INCH REAR WHEEL
The CRF450X’s 18-inch rear wheel gives you an excellent choice of off-road tires. Plus, the black DID rims look great too.
The Gear-Driven Counterbalancer reduces vibration and drives the water pump. Eight clutch plates provide the surface area necessary to handle the engine’s massive torque, while carefully matched clutch springs provide a light feel at the lever.
WORKS MX STYLING
Having a hard time spotting the differences between our factory MX bikes and the CRF450X? You’re excused. The “X” looks like our MX bikes because it’s derived from them—the smooth bodywork makes it easy to move around, and the in-mold graphics not only look cool but are durable, too.
Placing the rider’s legs at the narrowest part of the frame helps improve comfort and handling.
Hey, a sidestand may seem like no big thing, but take a look at the one the CRF450X uses. Tucked up high and out of the way, this forged alloy piece is just another example of how the CRF450X gets it right.
FUEL MILAGE METER
An important feature for planning gas stops and calculating your bike’s range under varying conditions, the Fuel Mileage Meter shows current fuel mileage and average fuel mileage as well as fuel consumption. Displays in either miles or kilometers, and applies to both the A and B tripmeters. The Fuel Mileage Meter is in the same digital instrument display as the speedometer, odometer, tripmeters and digital clock.
2020 Honda CRF450X – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: starting from $9799 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $ CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
|Type||449.7cc liquid-cooled 10º single-cylinder four-stroke|
|Valve Train||Unicam® OHC, four-valve|
|Bore x Stroke||96.0mm x 62.1mm|
|Induction||Programmed fuel-injection system (PGM-FI); 46mm throttle bore|
|Starter||Push-button electric starter|
|Transmission||6-speed wide ratio; manual|
|Clutch||Multiplate wet (6 springs)|
|Final Drive||#520 sealed chain; 13T/51T|
|49mm fully adjustable leading-axle inverted telescopic Showa coil- spring fork w/ 12.0 in. travel|
|Pro-Link system; fully adjustable Showa single shock w/ 12.4 in.
|Front||2-piston hydraulic; single 260mm disc|
|Rear||2-piston hydraulic; single 240mm disc|
|Front||Dunlop Geomax AT81 80/100-21 w/ tube|
|Rear||Dunlop Geomax AT81 110/100-18 w/ tube|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||28°06’|
|Trail||116mm (4.6 in.)|
|Ground Clearance||12.7 in.|
|Seat Height||37.4 in.|
|Fuel Capacity||2.01 gal.|
|Curb Weight*||275 lbs.|
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride Specifications subject to change
2020 Honda CRF450X – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
2020 Honda CRF450X – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).