46 Years of Models
+ 2016 Motorcycles
+ 2015 Motorcycles
+ 2014 Motorcycles
+ 2013 Motorcycles
+ 2012 Motorcycles
+ 2011 Motorcycles
+ 2010 Motorcycles
+ 2000 - 2009 Models
+ 1990 - 1999 Models
+ 1980 - 1989 Models
+ 1970 - 1979 Models
+ ATV Model Guide
+ Concept Bikes
Guides & Resources
+ Beginner's Guide
+ Biker's Dictionary
+ Bike Buyer's Guide
+ Concept Bike Guide
+ Compare Bike/ATVs
+ MPG Guide
+ Maintenance Guide
+ Mfg Compendium
+ Model History Guide
+ Motorcycle Cool Wall
+ Motorcycle Events
+ Motorcycle News
+ Motorcycle Reviews
+ Performance Guide
+ Product Reviews
+ Restoration Tips
+ Specs Handbook
+ Tire/Tyre Guide
+ TMW History
+ TMW Interviews
+ Travel Guide
+ Shopping Guide
+ Unit Converter Guide
+ Moto Guzzi
+ MV Agusta
+ Royal Enfield
+ Motorcycle Forums
+ Photo Gallery
+ Become a TMW fan!
+ On Facebook
+ On Google Plus
+ On Twitter
+ On YouTube
+ RSS News Feed
+ RSS Forum Feed
+ Old Photo Galleries
+ Contests & Prizes
+ TMW T-Shirts
+ Search This Site
+ Add us to your site
Advertising & Media
+ Advertise on TMW
+ Our Sponsors
+ Contact Us
+ TMW Recognition
+ TMW Staff
+ Our Motorcycles
+ Our Ride Photos
+ Site Map
All content on
Total Motorcycle is copyright protected and actively monitored by
Honda TRX450R (Kick Start)
Back to 2009 Honda ATV Quad Models Index Page
photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
- 2009 Honda TRX450R (Kick Start)
2009 Honda TRX450R (Kick Start)
It's the most serious, most hard-core sport ATV Honda's ever made in this displacement class, the no-excuses, kick-start version of the invincible Honda TRX450 that's taken three-straight Baja 1000 victories. It's the ultimate combination of eye-watering power, razor-sharp handling and mind-bending performance, thanks to its Unicam® liquid-cooled engine, Pro-Link® race-winning suspension and world-beating Honda engineering.
Available in manual- and electric-start versions, the mighty TRX450R has won races in virtually every ATV racing arena as well as four victories in the grueling Baja 1000.
Features & Benefits
New for 2009
- New White with Orange frame color joins White and Red on the TRX450ER.
- High-Performance Unicam® cylinder head design (see Technology Section)
- Compact, lightweight engine designed specifically for ATV usage is worthy of its CRF® heritage.
- Electric-start version features an electric starter that drives the clutch side of the crankshaft to provide superior lubrication of starter gears and to produce a narrow engine with a short, strong crankshaft.
- Lightweight, compact, internal auto decompressor provides superb cold-starting and hot-starting operation.
- Kickstart version incorporates ATV-type forward kickstarting for ease of starting and light weight.
- Crankshaft is made of high-strength, low-carbon steel with carburized main journals for maximum durability at sustained high-rpm operation.
- Cylinder-head cover is made of magnesium to reduce engine weight.
- Forged three-ring 12.0:1 compression slipper piston is lighter than a conventional design, revving quickly while maintaining excellent cylinder sealing and high-rpm power.
- Maximum engine rpm is 9850.
- Double-carburized connecting rod utilizes a big-end needle bearing for maximum high-rpm performance and durability.
- Nikasil cylinder lining is lightweight and provides cooler and quieter operation for extended engine life.
- Press-fitted steel spark plug pipe fits between forked exhaust rocker arms, further contributing to compact cylinder-head design.
- 40mm Keihin FCR-type carburetor features four rollers on the flat slide, resulting in very light throttle effort, smooth operation, crisp throttle response and excellent rideability.
- Carburetor features a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) that helps maintain linear response throughout the rpm range.
- Twin-sump lubrication system separates the oil supply for the crankshaft, piston and valve train from the clutch and transmission. This ensures a cool supply of oil to the clutch, eliminates clutch and transmission material contamination to the engine oil and reduces the amount of circulating oil and the required size of the oil pump.
- Vertically split crankcases feature a built-in oil pump, reducing weight compared to a conventional design.
- Left-side countershaft bearing and axle carrier feature double-row bearings for added durability.
- Exhaust system uses a lightweight, stainless steel header and muffler.
- Exhaust system and free-flowing muffler increase performance while maintaining low noise levels.
- Light-weight radiator with fin pitch designed for improved airflow in all riding conditions.
- Compact, flat radiator fan is lightweight and provides efficient cooling.
- Gear-driven balancer reduces vibration and drives the water pump.
- Eight clutch plates provide the surface area necessary to handle the engine's massive torque.
- Durable five-speed transmission with low ratios designed for racing applications and trail use.
- Rider's position features low handlebar, seat and footpegs for improved center of gravity and rider feel.
- Round-tube steel frame with removable aluminum subframe is lightweight and durable.
- One-piece, cast-aluminum swingarm for light weight, maximum strength and durability.
- Independent, double-wishbone, double A-arm front suspension with fully adjustable Showa shocks provide 8.4 inches of travel, and features rear-facing reservoirs for increased durability.
- Pro-Link® Rear Suspension (see Technology Section) with fully adjustable Showa piggyback shock provides 9.3 inches of travel.
- Dual 174mm front disc brakes with twin-piston calipers and high-pressure front brake lines provide excellent stopping power.
- 190mm rear disc and beefy single-piston caliper provide improved stopping power and increased ground clearance.
- Aluminum brake calipers and brackets front and rear reduce weight.
- Removable aluminum rear grabrail and front bumper for reduced weight.
- Lightweight aluminum wheels reduce unsprung weight for outstanding handling.
- Dunlop radial tires provide superb traction and cornering ability.
- Durable and lightweight O-ring-sealed drive chain.
- Throttle lever and carburetor feature full-closed detection system.
- Engine design meets California Air Resources Board (CARB) off-road emissions standards.
- Convenient oil-level window allows for at-a-glance oil check.
- Long, narrow seat is designed for superior comfort and performance in all operating conditions. Saddle is also easy to remove for convenient access to the air filter.
- Large air filter allows maximum airflow for optimum engine power.
- Airbox designed for improved airflow and increased power.
- Adjustable dual headlights with 30-watt bulbs and improved reflectors for excellent visibility and distinctive appearance.
- Headlight shaped for race-derived look.
- Pivot-access brake calipers for easy pad replacement.
- Engine cases protected by high-impact plastic skidplate.
- LED tail/brakelight to shed weight and add an aggressive appearance.
- CRF-style clutch and front brake lever.
- Wide footpegs for improved rider control.
- Aluminum shift and brake pedals.
- CRF-type handlebar grips.
- Honda Racing-inspired colors and graphics.
- Optional HRC Racing Kit available.
- Transferable one-year limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- When you buy a new Honda Powersports Product, you may be eligible to receive a complimentary one year membership in the Honda Riders Club of America, which includes an exclusive Members-only magazine, rider training benefits, access to the Members-only Clubhouse website and much more. Some limitations apply.
- Flag Kit.
2009 Honda TRX450R (Kick Start) - USA Specifications
American MSRP $6,999 USD
Model: TRX450R (kick start) / TRX450ER (electric start)
Engine Type: 450cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
Bore and Stroke: 96mm x 62mm
Compression Ration: 12.0:1
Valve Train: Unicam; four-valve; 36mm intake, Ti; 30mm exhaust, steel
Induction: Keihin 40mm flat slide carburetor with throttle position sensor (TPS)
Ignition: CD with electronic advance
Starter: Electric or forward kick
Final Drive: O-ring-sealed chain
Front: Independent double-wishbone with Showa shocks, featuring adjustable spring preload, rebound and compression damping; 8.4 inches travel
Rear: Pro-Link with single Showa shock featuring adjustable spring preload, rebound and compression damping; 9.3 inches of travel
Front: Dual hydraulic 174mm discs with twin-piston calipers
Rear: Single hydraulic 190mm disc with single-piston caliper
Front: 22 x 7-10 knobby radial
Rear: 20 x 10-9 knobby radial
Length: 73.3 inches
Width: 46.3 inches
Height: 43.3 inches
Seat Height: 32.8 inches
Ground Clearance: 4.4 inches
Wheelbase: 50.2 inches
Fuel Capacity: 2.7 gallons, including 0.8-gallon reserve
TRX450ER: Red, White, Special White w/orange flames
Curb Weight*: 383 pounds (TRX450R) / 390 pounds (TRX450ER)
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel-ready to ride.
Consult owner's manual for optional HRC Racing Kit parts.
For highly experienced riders 16 years of age and older.
2009 Honda TRX450R (Kick Start) - Canada Specifications
Canadian MSRP $0 CDN
Model not available in Canada