+ 2015 Motorcycles
+ 2014 Motorcycles
+ 2013 Motorcycles
+ 2012 Motorcycles
+ 2011 Motorcycles
+ 2010 Motorcycles
+ 2009 Motorcycles
+ 2008 Motorcycles
+ 2007 Motorcycles
+ 2006 Motorcycles
+ 2005 Motorcycles
+ 2004 Motorcycles
+ 2003 Motorcycles
+ 2002 Motorcycles
+ 2001 Motorcycles
+ 2000 Motorcycles
+ 1970-1999 Models
+ 2009-2013 ATVs
+ Concept Bikes
Guides & Resources
+ Beginner's Guide
+ Bikers Dictionary
+ Buyers Guide
+ Concept Bike Guide
+ Compare Bike/ATVs
+ Fuel Economy Guide
+ Maintenance Guide
+ Mfg Compendium
+ Model History Guide
+ Motorcycle Cool Wall
+ Motorcycle Events
+ Motorcycle News
+ Motorcycle Reviews
+ Performance Guide
+ Product Reviews
+ Restoration Tips
+ Specs Handbook
+ Tire/Tyre Guide
+ TMW Museum
+ TMW Interviews
+ Travel Guide
+ Shopping Guide
+ Unit Converter Guide
+ Moto Guzzi
+ MV Agusta
+ Royal Enfield
+ Motorcycle Forums
+ Photo Gallery
+ Become a TMW fan!
+ On Facebook
+ On Google Plus
+ On Twitter
+ On YouTube
+ RSS News Feed
+ RSS Forum Feed
+ Old Photo Galleries
+ Contests & Prizes
+ TMW T-Shirts
+ Search This Site
+ Add us to your site
Advertising & Media
+ Advertise on TMW
+ Our Sponsors
+ Contact Us
+ TMW Recognition
+ TMW Staff
+ Our Motorcycles
+ Our Ride Photos
+ Site Map
Back to 2008 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge for detail.
They make great desktop images.
- 2009 Kawasaki KLX250S
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S
THE ULTIMATE LIGHTWEIGHT DUAL PURPOSE MOUNT, THE KAWASAKI KLX250S
A leaner, meaner and greener lightweight dual-sport machine
The fun doesnt have to stop at pavement boundaries when riding Kawasakis street legal KLX250S. This lightweight dual-purpose motorcycle is equally at home on the pavement or off-road and always ready for your next adventure. Now, thanks to significant updates that saw refinements made everywhere from its improved braking prowess to its aggressively styled bodywork, the KLX250S is more fun than ever.
A compact, liquid-cooled, four-stroke, single-cylinder engine displacing 249cc, the KLX250S features convenient electric-starting. The engine is mounted beneath a lightweight, high-tensile steel perimeter frame to deliver a low center of gravity and enhanced maneuvering on tight trails.
A gear-driven engine balancer means reduced engine vibration for greater comfort and less fatigue on longer rides. The 34mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK carburetor boosts throttle response and contributes to improved power. It also helps to provide increased fuel economy. The addition of a new evaporative emissions system allows it to meet strict CARB regulations, making the KLX250S eligible for sale in all 50 states.
Further refinements appear in the transmission. Closer ratios between 5th and 6th gear enhance the KLX250S high-speed off-road capabilities, while a reshaped shift cam offers a more positive shift feel and promotes firmer gear engagement.
The rigors of off-road motorcycling dictate additional protection for the exposed underside of most machines. The KLX250S comes standard with aluminum engine guards to protect its crankcase during off road adventures.
Negotiating tight terrain also highlights another off-road reality heat. The incorporation of dual lightweight, high-capacity Denso radiators and a shallow-footprint cooling fan is an ample solution to potential heat issues.
The rake was increased a degree to 27.5 to boost straight-line stability, which is further enhanced by the rigid square-section frame. Thanks to its short wheelbase, the stability improvements didnt sacrifice any of the 250S outstanding nimbleness or turning aptitude. At the other end of the chassis, a new lightweight aluminum swingarm employs a highly-rigid D-shaped cross section and features new KX racing-type chain adjusters for precise chain adjustment.
For 2009, the KLX250S received revised damping settings and reduced wheel travel at both ends, plus an all-new rear suspension linkage. These modifications help to increase straight-line stability, give a more planted feel in corners and make it easier for riders to reach the ground. The 43mm inverted cartridge-style front fork and Uni-Trak® rear suspension both come with 16-way adjustable compression damping and offer 10.2-inches and 9.1-inches of travel, respectively.
New wheels feature 0.5mm thicker spokes for increased wheel rigidity and enhanced off-road durability. The KLX250S also offers upgraded stopping power from a twin-piston caliper and a 250mm semi-floating petal disc up front and a larger 240mm petal disc at the rear.
Finishing off this reworked package is a completely new set of aggressively styled bodywork, a re-shaped seat with firmer urethane, and a handlebar with a straighter profile.
Riders seeking enduro handling and modern engine performance in a dual-purpose
motorcycle designed for effortless street riding will find it at their local
Kawasaki dealership. The KLX250S offers serious capabilities in a fun, easy-to-ride
package, regardless of where the adventure takes it.
Single-cylinder 249cc DOHC Engine
- Compact engine design is lightweight and high revving, with a broad torque curve
- Good mass centralization for superior handling
- Flat-top piston and pentroof combustion chamber deliver an 11:1 compression ratio
- Lightweight piston, piston pin and connecting rod enable higher revs for maximum power
- Aluminum cylinder features electrofusion coating, which allows a tight piston-cylinder clearance for greater horsepower and offers increased engine life thanks to superior heat transfer and lubrication retention properties
- A gear-driven engine balancer provides smooth power delivery from idle to redline
- Dual high-capacity, vertical-flow Denso radiators provide reliable and efficient engine cooling
- Radiators feature tightly packed cores and a fin design for excellent heat dispersion
- More consistent engine temperatures allow tighter engine clearances for quieter running and sustained power, while promoting longer engine life
- Cooling fan is powered by a shallow-footprint electric motor
Four Valve Cylinder Head
- Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow to boost low end torque while providing improved high-rpm breathing efficiency for more power
Revised carburetor settings
- 34mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK carburetor delivers the optimum amount of fuel at all rpm, contributing to improved response and power, as well as good fuel economy
- Now available in California, thanks to new evaporative emissions system that meets strict CARB regulations
- Quick and easy push-button starting
- Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release (KACR) automatically lifts one of the exhaust valves at cranking rpm, for reduced starting effort
- Secondary air system helps provide clean emissions
- USFS-approved spark arrester allows the KLX250S to access designated off-road public riding areas
Updated Six-speed Transmission
- Allows engines full potential to be used
- Provides excellent acceleration as well as relaxed highway cruising
- Gear ratios amended to set 6th gear closer to 5th for improved performance
- Revised shift cam offers better feeling and allows gears to click into place with more precision
Improved Inverted Front Forks
- 43mm inverted cartridge fork offers excellent rigidity and consistent damping performance
- Reduced travel to 10.2 in. for increased straight-line stability, improved handling in corners and a lower seat height
- 16-Way compression damping adjustment allows tuning for differences in rider weight or various terrain profiles
UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
- All new linkage and revised damping settings reduce front-rear pitching motions
- Rear wheel travel reduced to 9.1 in, for increased straight-line stability, improved handling in corners and a lower seat height
- Progressive linkage rate provides a smooth ride and excellent bottoming resistance
- Shock features 16-way adjustable compression damping
- Lightweight, high-tensile steel for amazing rigidity
- No down tubes for lower engine placement and lower center of gravity
- Still has ample ground clearance
- New lightweight, aluminum D-section swingarm is highly rigid and reduces unsprung weight
- New KX racing-type chain adjusters allow precise adjustment to minimize drivetrain power losses
- Revised handlebar is straighter and offers a more relaxed position and effortless control
- Footpegs are positioned close to the bikes centerline
- New seat shape and stiffer urethane makes it easier to change seating position
- Aggressive new look courtesy of a new headlight and front fender design
- Two-piece radiator shrouds styled like the KX motocrossers
- Rear fender is a two-piece unit featuring a sharp tail light design that offers increased visibility and further contributes to the KLXs aggressive styling
Narrow Fuel Tank
- Narrow tank design gives riders maximum comfort and control
- All-digital instrument console gives at-a-glance information that includes a digital bar-graph tachometer, digital speedometer, clock, and dual trip meters
Petal disc brakes
- Front and rear disc brakes offer impressive stopping performance
- Twin-piston caliper grips a 250 mm petal disc up front
- Increased rear brake control provided by a revised lever ratio, new pad material and different caliper
- 240mm rear petal disc is 20mm larger than the old model
- New 4.0mm spokes offer increased wheel rigidity for greater off-road durability
- Tires feature smaller blocks for longer tire life and increased grip on
SPECIFICATIONS USA - 2009 Kawasaki KLX250S:
Engine: Four-stroke, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC, four-valve single
Bore x stroke: 72.0 x 61.2mm
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Carburetion: Keihin CVK34
Ignition: Digital CDI
Final drive: Chain
Frame: Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel
Rake / trail: 27.5 degrees / 4.3 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 43mm Inverted Cartridge Fork with 16-Way Compression Damping Adjustment / 10.2 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Uni-TrakÂ® with Adjustable Preload, 16-Way Compression and Rebound Damping Adjustment / 9.1 in.
Front tire: 80/100x21
Rear tire: 100/100x18
Front brake: 250mm semi-floating petal disc with two-piston hydraulic caliper
Rear brake: 240mm petal disc with single-piston hydraulic caliper
Overall length: 87.5 in.
Overall width: 32.1 in.
Overall height: 47.1 in.
Ground clearance: 11.0 in.
Seat height: 34.8 in.
Dry weight: TBD
Fuel capacity: TBD
Wheelbase: 56.7 in.
Color choices: Lime Green, Sunbeam Red
Warranty: 12 months
SPECIFICATIONS Canada - 2009 Kawasaki KLX250S:
Specifications and features are subject to change
Thank for supporting