Click photo to enlarge.
It makes a great desktop image.
– 2001 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm
The VTR1000F Firestorm is a muscular litre-size V-twin sport machine with exhilarating performance and razor-sharp handling.
New for 2001:
· Increased fuel range offered by new 19 litre fuel tank (3 litres larger than previous model).
· New clip-on handlebars have been raised 15.6mm and angled upward approximately 7 degrees for improved rider comfort over long distances.
· Revised graphics compliment the new Dark Metallic Blue and Pearl Yellow colours.
· Redesigned indicators are more compact and stylish, with high-visibility multi-reflectors.
· Modified front forks provide smoother dampening operation at initial compression to provide more precise control.
· Refinement to carburetion and ignition systems result in smoother, more responsive performance.
· Lightweight instrument panel with new Speedometer/tachometer layout, and LCD featuring readouts for time, coolant temperature, fuel reserve, odometer and dua-setting trip meter.
· Smaller, lighter battery.
· 996cc DOHC eight-valve 90º V-twin engine features identical 180-degree reversed heads and chain-driven camshafts.
· Horizontally split crankcase incorporates swingarm pivot and Pro-Link¨ bracket mounts at rear.
· Integrated upper crankcase/cylinder block casting contributes to lightweight, compact engine design.
· Nutless connecting rods feature bolts threaded directly into tapped holes in rods. Design is lighter than conventional bolt-and-nut combination. Carburized rods offer optimal balance of strength and durability.
· Lightweight, skirtless slipper pistons reduce reciprocating mass.
· Chain-driven camshafts operate Honda’s largest-ever valves by means of shimmed-bucket lifters.
· 48mm slanted flat-slide CV carbs are the largest ever used on a Honda engine. They provide sharp, linear response and are fed by a large-capacity 8-litre airbox.
· High-accuracy, computer-controlled ignition system monitors engine speed and throttle angle for optimal performance throughout the rev range. Includes 10,100-rpm rev limiter.
· Slim-tipped NGK VX spark plugs deliver excellent performance and enhanced rideability.
· Air-injection system designed into heads maintains optimum combustion efficiency.
· All-stainless two-into-one-into-two exhaust system with 4.5-litre buffed-finish canister-style mufflers.
· 140mm, 10-plate hydraulic clutch.
· Side-mounted dual radiators utilize low pressure of airflow passing over outer surface of cowling to draw air through from inside. Side positioning permits flow of air to reach cylinders and exhaust pipes for enhanced cooling efficiency, while facilitating front-cylinder service. At low speeds, a large right-side fan blows air directly out to the side and away from the rider.
· Chain-driven water pump located in crook of V between cylinders.
· High-efficiency oil cooler mounted in front of forward cylinder head.
· Slick shifting six-speed transmission.
· Engine-mounted swingarm eliminates need for conventional pivot plates, allowing the twin-spar aluminum frame to weigh only 8.0 kilograms. Features massive D-section spars and curved box-section engine hanger-rails that reach back from the steering head to anchor directly on the engine, joining at the back to provide a solid mounting point for the top of the rear damper and the bolt-on seat rail.
· 41mm Honda Multi-Action System™ (HMAS) conventional cartridge front fork offers adjustable spring preload and rebound damping.
· Pro-Link rear suspension system, mounted directly to the engine cases, features large-volume 40mm damper with adjustable spring preload and rebound damping.
· Hybrid construction aluminum swingarm combines extruded spars with a rigid cast pivot section.
· Hollow-section triple-spoke cast aluminum wheels.
· Wide-profile jointless-belt-type radial tires with ZR rating for confident long-term performance.
· Dual floating front disc brakes with four-piston calipers and sintered metal pads. The 296mm rotors are mated to their aluminum inner rotors with eight inserts (down from the conventional 10). The 220mm rear disc brake is stopped by a single-piston caliper.
· Three-piece half-fairing provides good wind protection and excellent aerodynamics.
· Front fairing ports feed air to the cockpit to lighten handling at higher speeds and provide cooling airflow to the rider. Large side-ports maximize airflow through the side-mounted radiators and away from the rider.
· Fins on lower sides of fairing produce down force at high speeds for enhanced cruising stability.
· Fuel tank designed with sculpted indents for knees and handlebars.
· One-piece seat cowl covers a compartment with specially molded recesses to accommodate most U-locks and cable locking devices. (Locks not included.)
· Single headlight features “free form” multi-curvature reflector and a clear lens for optimal brightness and reach.
· Instrument panel features a digital odometer and tripmeter, an engine temperature gauge and LED reserve warning lamp.
· Wide-view triangular rearview mirrors mounted on solid, die-cast aluminum stays.
· Aluminum die-cast footpegs and stays, and forged steel sidestand.
· Compact 12AH maintenance-free battery.
· Transferable one-year unlimited-mileage limited warranty.
996cc liquid-cooled 90-degree V-twin
Bore and Stroke
9.4 : 1
DOHC, 4 valve, shim under bucket
Two 48 mm, Flatslide, Downdraft, CV
Transistorized with electronic advance
O ring chain
41mm cartridge fork, adjustable for preload and rebound damping, 109mm travel
Pro-Link single shock with preload and rebound damping adjustability, 124mm travel
Dual 296mm floating discs with four piston calipers
Single 220mm disc with single piston caliper
120/70 ZR – 17
180/55 ZR – 17
810mm (31.9 in.)
1430mm (56.3 in.)
192 kg (423 lbs.)
16 litres (4.2 Imp. gal.)
Specifications are subject to change without notice, in accordance with national regulation and legislations.