2012 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4×4
Back to 2012 Kawasaki ATV Quad Models Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2012 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4×4
2012 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4×4 Review
Selectable 4WD and a Powerful V-twin Help Get Things Done
When the job calls for serious traction, the Mule™ 4010 4×4 answers with its sure-footed 4-wheel drive system. The Mule 4010 4×4 is loaded with great features to help you get to the job site and get things done. Besides its convenient selectable four-wheel drive system, the Mule 4010 4×4 also boasts a full-sized chassis, reliable digital fuel injection, electric power steering (EPS) system, fully automatic transmission, locking rear differential and a tilting cargo bed. With all of its great attributes, you’ll wonder how you got things done before you had one.
The Mule 4010 4×4’s liquid-cooled 617cc V-twin engine is managed by a digital Electronic Control Unit (ECU) and is fed by a fuel injection system that compensates for variations in atmospheric pressure, engine and air temperature. This combination results in consistent starts and ultra-precise fuel metering, both of which help reduce fuel consumption and limit emissions. An automatic fast idle speed control activates when the engine is cold, eliminating the need for a manual choke. The ECU also regulates top engine speed, which means the Mule doesn’t need a mechanical governor.
This powerful V-twin engine is mated to a continuously variable transmission (CVT) that features both high and low range, plus a reverse gear. Power is transmitted through a dependable, low-maintenance shaft drive system to a dual-mode rear differential that can be locked to maximize traction, or unlocked to improve handling and minimize ground disturbance when negotiating tight turns. Mule 4010 drivers can also engage four-wheel drive for extra traction in tricky conditions.
The Mule 4010 4×4’s rack-and-pinion steering is assisted by an electric power steering (EPS) system that can reduce turning effort by up to 30 percent while offering a significant boost at low speeds in four-wheel drive. The EPS system automatically determines how much assistance is needed using input from vehicle speed and torque sensors.
The forward/reverse, high/low-range and the four-wheel drive selectors are all within easy reach on the dash so drivers can focus more attention on negotiating rough or tricky terrain. The coolant temperature warning light is easy to see, and a push-button control activates the headlights. Other standard features include an hour meter, horn and air restrictor gauge to indicate when the air filter needs to be cleaned or replaced. The fuse box and oil dipstick are located beneath the seat for quick access.
A roomy cab is surrounded by the Mule 4010 4×4’s large-diameter steel tube frame structure. With its rugged and modern bodywork, this four-wheel drive utility is a natural in the tough pickup truck work environment. Its body panels are manufactured from a durable, color-molded plastic that helps hide minor scuffs and scratches. The front hood can be opened with the pull of a dash-mounted knob and allows access to a deep storage space equipped with convenient D-rings to help secure cargo. Additionally, two levers make opening and closing the tailgate a secure and easy process.
The convenience factor on the Mule 4010 4×4 extends beyond easy-access latches or controls; the machine also features owner-friendly touches like the winch-ready tabs located under the front grille, which greatly simplify the winch-mounting process.
The Mule 4010 4×4 chassis includes a ladder-type frame riding on a DeDion-type rear leaf-spring suspension designed to carry heavy loads yet provide a smooth ride when the cargo bed is empty. MacPherson struts handle front suspension duty and provide an optimum balance of comfort and load capacity. Effective stopping power is provided by four hydraulically operated, self-adjusting, sealed drum brakes designed to resist contamination from water, mud and other debris. Large 23-inch low-pressure tires provide a comfortable ride, superb traction and help minimize impact over a variety of terrain.
The Mule 4010 4×4 can carry 800 pounds in its steel cargo bed and is capable of towing up to 1,200 pounds with an optional draw bar. Other popular accessories include an enclosed cab, cab heater, snow plow and soft or hard tops. These and many other Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
2012 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4×4 Features and Benefits:
At a glance…
– Powerful and torquey digital fuel injected V-twin engine
– Modern styling and low operating costs
– User friendly dashboard and controls
– Electric power steering system (EPS)
– Four-wheel drive
Liquid-Cooled V-twin Engine
– Four-stroke, 617cc industrial V-twin engine produces exceptional torque at low engine speeds
– Modern four-stroke design with overhead valves for efficient running and good fuel economy
– Large-capacity radiator and fan maintain consistent engine temperatures, even in hot climates
– Rubber engine mounts minimize vibration, noise and wear to maximize operation comfort and diminish fatigue
Digital Fuel Injection
– Computer-controlled fuel injection system automatically compensates for atmospheric pressure, air and engine temperature for easy, prompt engine starting under a variety of conditions
– Automatic fast idle speed control eliminates the need for a choke, allowing the operator to drive off immediately after a cold engine start
– Throttle bodies feature sub-throttle valves for optimum performance and drivability. The sub-throttles are located behind the main throttle valves and are controlled by the ECU for smooth throttle response
– Automatic digital ignition system helps ensure smooth, efficient operation
– Maximum engine speed is controlled by the ECU, eliminating the need for a mechanical governor
– Offers easy engine operation and reduced maintenance requirements
Cab Frame Air Intake
– Draws engine air and converter cooling air from the top of the cab frame where there is less dust, so the air filter stays cleaner longer
Environmentally Friendly Emissions
– DFI® precision reduces fuel consumption and cuts exhaust emissions
– Positive crankcase ventilation system sends blow-by gases to the intake tract to be burned in the engine -Muffler features a U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor
Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System (KAPS)
– Fully automatic continuously variable transmission (CVT) features forward high/low and reverse, and helps keep the engine in the right operating rpm for a variety of vehicle speeds, loads or terrain
– The CVT has a wide spread of drive ratios for quick acceleration and ample pulling power
– An open-sided drive pulley cools better for longer belt life
– Offers adjustable belt deflection
Electric Power Steering (EPS)
– The EPS system reduces steering effort, especially at low speeds when turning effort is greatest
– The electric motor’s inertia significantly reduces bump steer and kickback to the steering wheel caused by shocks to the wheels for a more comfortable and controlled ride
– Input from vehicle speed and torque sensors determine the amount of steering assistance required from the system’s motor
– No power steering pump, so there is no power loss from the engine
– EPS only operates when the engine is running to keep from draining the battery
Four-Wheel Drive with 2-Speed Transfer Case
– Selectable four-wheel drive gives the operator traction options
– Shift to four-wheel drive and low range for maximum traction in adverse conditions, or select two-wheel drive and high range to cut gear wear and increase fuel economy
Dual Mode Differential
– Dual-mode rear differential can be locked for extra pulling power and maximum traction, or unlocked when traversing delicate terrain
Independent Strut-Type Front Suspension
– MacPherson strut long-travel front suspension provide a comfortable ride and excellent load-carrying capability
– Stiffer springs prevent bottoming and increase ground clearance
DeDion Rear Suspension
– Overload-style leaf springs can handle heavy loads, yet provide a smooth ride when the cargo box is empty
– Semi-independent action
Four-Wheel, Self-Adjusting Sealed Hydraulic Drum Brakes
– Four wheel brakes are self-adjusting and feature extra sealing for protection against mud, dust and debris
– The brake drums have an added flange and seal to keep out mud and water
– Low maintenance and powerful
Wheels and Tires
– 23-inch tires with stiff sidewalls improve the ride and add ground clearance
– Rear wheel bearings use two rollers in one large bearing for added durability
– Wheel bearing seals on all four wheels have three lips for better protection
Front Hood with Storage Tub
– Deeper under hood storage tub holds cargo out of sight
– Offers quick, easy access with a push-button latch
– Includes four D-rings for securing loads
Tilting Cargo Bed
– Steel cargo bed can carry up to 800 pounds and tilts for quick unloading
– Thick tailgate panel and secure latching tailgate locking pins reduce vibration and noise, and add durability
Rugged and Capable
– Bodywork is a rugged, modern design with truck-like styling
– Can tow up to 1,200 pounds with optional Kawasaki Accessory draw bar
– Meets Roll Over Protective Structure (ROPS) requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.4, and 7.5, and also meets FMVSS 216 roof crush resistance requirement
– Bench seat can carry up to three
– Durable chassis includes winch-ready mounts to simplify winch installation
– The oil dipstick and filler tube are accessed under the seat
– Cyclone-type engine air cleaner has meter to indicate when to replace the filter
– An automotive-style fuse box is convenient and uses blade-type fuses
– The 2WD / 4WD lever is mounted on the dash for easy access
– Parking brake and coolant temperature warning lights are easy to see
– Dashboard has dual glove boxes and cupholders for both the driver and passenger
– A horn and 12V DC outlet with 10-amp capacity are featured
– Shift lever with Y-gate pattern eliminates need for High-Low switch lever
– Push-button headlight switch activates 35-watt cat-eye headlights
– Standard equipment hour meter
Popular Accessory Items
– Soft or Hard Top
– Enclosed Cab
– Cab Heater
– Snow Plow
2012 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4×4 – Specifications and Technical Details
US MSRP*: $9,699 USD
Canadian MSRP*: $TBA CDN
Engine Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, overhead valve V-twin
Bore x Stroke 76 x 68mm
Compression ratio 10.3:1
Fuel System Digital Fuel Injection
Air filter Snorkel-type with cyclone-type two-stage dry replaceable element
Oil filter Automotive-type spin-on canister
Ignition Digital electronic
Electrical 12V DC, 18 amp-hour battery, alternator
Transmission Continuously variable transmission (CVT) with high and low range, forward, and reverse, 2WD/4WD
Final drive Shaft, selectable four-wheel drive with dual-model differential
Exhaust Muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor
Tires 23×11-10 tubeless
Front suspension / wheel travel Independent, MacPherson strut / 3.9 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel Semi-independent, De Dion axle with leaf springs and shocks / 2.8 in.
Steering Electric power assisted rack-and-pinion
Brakes Four-wheel hydraulic drums, sealed
Fuel capacity 6.2 gal.
Curb weight 1,408 lbs.
Overall length 118.3 in.
Overall height 75.8 in.
Overall width 62.0 in.
Wheelbase 73.6 in.
Ground clearance 6.9 in.
Roll over protective structure (ROPS) This structure meets ROPS requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, and 7.5. This structure also meets FMVSS 216 Roof Crush resistance requirement
Cargo bed dimensions (LxWxH) 46.3 x 51.6 x 11.3 /15.6 cu. Ft.
Load capacity 1,330 lbs.
Cargo Bed Capacity 800 lbs.
Towing capacity 1,200 lbs.
Turning radius 11.2 ft.
Top speed 25 mph, governed
Lighting (2) 30-watt sealed-beam headlights, (2) 5/21-watt taillight/stoplight
Instruments Parking brake warning light, coolant temperature warning light, horn, 12V DC outlet
Color Choices Dark Royal Red, Woodsman Green
Warranty 12 Months
Good Times™ Protection Plan 12 or 24 months
*Note: Specifications and pricing are subject to change.