Leading competitors into stage two of the 2019 Merzouga Rally following his winning performance on day one of the Dakar Series event in Morocco, Yamalube Yamaha Rally Team rider Adrien Van Beveren has kept his WR450F Rally machine at the head of the event’s overall motorcycle class standings.
Faced with the difficult task of opening the 212.22-kilometre stage, Van Beveren remained focused on his road book and the job in hand to finish the day third fastest. Losing a little time early in the stage, where he was caught by the riders behind him, he remained at the head of the field and successfully navigated the remainder of the stage alone.
Placing just over one-and-a-half minutes behind the stage winner Michael Metge, Van Beveren maintains a near five-minute advantage at the top of the overall motorcycle class results.
Stage three of the Merzouga Rally will take competitors from Erfoud to the marathon bivouac, where they will camp under the stars and receive no assistance from their teams.
Merzouga Rally 2019
Stage 2 Provisional Classification
1. Michael Metge (FRA), Sherco, 3:42:09
2. Oriol Mena (ESP), Hero, 3:43:25 +1:16
3. Adrien Van Beveren (FRA), Yamaha, 3:43:43 +1:34
4. Joaquim Rodrigues (PRT), Hero, 3:43:46 +1:37
5. Stefan Svitko (SVK), KTM, 3:44:34 +2:25
6. Alessandro Botturi (ITA), Yamaha, 3:48:36 +6:27
Merzouga Rally 2019
Provisional Overall Classification [After Stage 2]
1. Adrien Van Beveren (FRA), Yamaha, 7:35:18
2. Stefan Svitko (SVK), KTM, 7:40:16 +4:58
3. Michael Metge (FRA), Sherco, 7:42:59 +7:41
4. Joaquim Rodrigues (PRT), Hero, 7:48:55 +13:37
5. Jacopo Cerutti (ITA), Husqvarna, 7:56:44 +21:26
6. Oriol Mena (ESP), Hero, 7:57:26 +22:08
Race Schedule – Merzouga Rally 2019
Prologue / March 31 / Erfoud
Stage 1 / April 1 / Erfoud to Erfoud
Stage 2 / April 2 / Erfoud to Erfoud
Stage 3 / April 3 / Erfoud to Marathon Bivouac
Stage 4 / April 4 / Marathon Bivouac to Erfoud
Stage 5 / April 5 / Extreme GP
Adrien Van Beveren
Yamalube Yamaha Official Team rider