Kawasaki ZR-7S: What the powerful Kawasaki ZRX1200R is to muscle bikes, the Kawasaki ZR-7S is to middleweight traditional motorcycles. But don’t be fooled by the “traditional” label. The ZR-7S is endowed with style, performance characteristics and an affordable price. Simply put, the ZR-7S offers sport-touring comfort in a bold, middleweight package.
The ZR-7S gets its power from an air-cooled, inline four-cylinder engine and is tuned to deliver plenty of mid-range power. Based on an evolution of a reliable and performance-oriented design, this engine is also equipped with modern features such as the Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control (K-TRIC). By utilizing the Digital Ignition system and a throttle-position sensor on the carburetors, K-TRIC varies timing according to throttle position and engine rpm so the ignition compensates for differing engine loads. The result is crisp throttle response and optimum fuel efficiency.
Stellar chassis performance comes by way of a double-cradle tubular-steel frame that provides neutral handling over a wide range of riding situations. Integrated tabs on the rear subframe provide a mounting system for optional Kawasaki accessory hard bags. The rigid, box-section swingarm actuates the Kawasaki UNI-TRAK® rear suspension system, which progressively increases the damping and spring rates on the single rear shock as the suspension is compressed for a smoother, more controlled ride.
The cockpit is protected by an attractive front fairing and comes complete with multi-reflector headlight and an instrument panel borrowed from the NINJA® ZX-7R sportbike. Upright seating and narrow handlebars with a low rise provide a roomy comfortable riding position. Finally, a sleek tailpiece, sporty 5.8-gallon fuel tank, a four-into-one stainless-steel exhaust system and lightweight cast alloy wheels give the ZR-7S the perfect balance of sport and touring in a traditional package.
– Displacing 738cc, the Double Overhead Cam, 8-valve engine develops broad power for a wide range of riding conditions.
– The air-cooled engine features a high capacity oil lubrication system: Efficient 7-row oil cooler and special jets that squirt cooler oil to the undersides of the high-compression pistons.
– Kawasaki’s exclusive electronic K-TRIC throttle position sensor for exceptionally smooth throttle response: The system adjusts the digital ignition timing in relation to throttle position for crisp and clean engine response.
– The 4-into-1 polished stainless steel exhaust system adds performance and modern style to the ZR-7S.
– Kawasaki’s exclusive Positive Neutral Finder makes finding neutral easy when the bike is stopped.
– The advanced aerodynamic design of the frame-mounted, half-fairing and windscreen delivers the twin benefits of great wind protection and terrific styling. Multi-reflector headlights produce a broad beam for clear night vision.
– The analog instrumentation houses a centrally positioned tachometer.
The ZR-7, an attractive streetbike with exciting performance and a great price. With an upright seating position and an engine that delivers broad power, it quickly proved to be a versatile machine that is comfortable commuting, briskly covering twisty back-country roads or even extended trips. With the addition of a front cowling, attractive styling inspiring engine, comfortable seating and affordable price,