2021 Kawasaki Z900 ABS : LIGHT, NIMBLE AND DISTINCTIVE.
Introducing the new 2021 Kawasaki Z900 ABS…
With a smooth powerband that becomes more exciting as the revs rise, a light and nimble chassis, and distinctive Sugomi-inspired styling, the Z900 continues the Kawasaki legacy of creating legendary 900cc-class machines whose performance surpasses that of many full liter-class motorcycles.
The Z900 ABS motorcycle receives a host of advanced features and epitomizes Kawasaki’s belief of what the ideal supernaked should be. At 948cc with an ultra-lightweight chassis, every ride is met with exceptional power, responsiveness and excitement. The 2021 Z900 ABS features a 948cc liquid-cooled, in-line four-cylinder engine, strengthened frame, improved front and rear suspension settings, Sugomi™-inspired Z styling, Kawasaki Traction Control (KTRC), Power Mode and Integrated Riding Modes selection, Smartphone Connectivity via RIDEOLOGY THE APP, TFT Color Instrumentation, LED headlamp, position lamp & license plate lamp, and Dunlop Sportmax Roadsport 2 Tires. For 2021, the Z900 is available in Metallic Spark Black / Metallic Flat Spark Black or Pearl Blizzard White / Metallic Spark Black, with an MSRP of $8,999.
2021 Kawasaki Z900 ABS Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
• KAWASAKI TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM (KTRC)
• INTEGRATED RIDING MODES
• TFT COLOR INSTRUMENTATION WITH SMARTPHONE CONNECTIVITY
• LED HEADLIGHT
• EXHILARATING ENGINE WITH SMOOTH, LINEAR POWER DELIVERY
• DIGITAL FUEL INJECTION (DFI®)
• ASSIST AND SLIPPER CLUTCH
• LIGHTWEIGHT TRELLIS FRAME
• RELAXED YET SPORTY RIDING POSITION
2021 Kawasaki Z900 ABS Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
The 948cc engine has a smooth, linear power delivery that is easy to control and contributes to rider comfort and confidence, yet the strong mid-range hit that pulls hard to redline provides plenty of exhilaration. Responsive liquid-cooled engine with efficient 4-valve, DOHC cylinder provides smooth performance at all rpm.
- Lightweight crankshaft design augments the engine’s quick-revving character.
- A secondary engine balancer eliminates excess vibration, although a desirable amount is left in to add to the bike’s character and acceleration feeling.
- Die-cast cylinder block is rigid while its open deck design helps save weight.
- Connecting passageways between the cylinders relieve pressure to help reduce pumping loss, improving high-rpm performance.
- The pistons are formed using the same unique casting process that is used for making those found in the Ninja H2™/H2™R. The process creates hollow areas to achieve idealized thickness for reduced weight without sacrificing strength.
- Downdraft intake design provides the fuel mixture with the straightest, shortest path to the combustion chamber for increased performance.
- 29mm intake and 24mm exhaust valves complement the port designs and boost the hard-hitting mid-range to high-rpm power feeling.
Digital Fuel Injection(KP)
- 36mm throttle bodies are used for their ideal mid-range response.
- Sub-throttle valves, located behind the main throttle valves, are controlled by the ECU so the EFI system has smooth, sensitive throttle response.
Enhanced Intake Note
- Acoustic tests helped shape the air box for a stimulating sound that varies with engine speed to add to the riding experience, especially at high rpm.
- The air inlet faces upward so that the intake note is easier for the rider to hear.
- A dividing wall in the center of the upper portion of the airbox accentuates the high, clear intake note.
- Intake funnels balance performance and sound. The longer 150mm inner pair strengthen the low-to-midrange performance while the shorter 50mm outer pair enhance the intake sound.
- 35mm exhaust headers are tuned for top-end performance while lowering exhaust noise level at idle. Joint pipes between headers 1-4 and 2-3 help boost mid-range torque.
- 5-liter pre-chamber allows a smaller muffler to be used and helps centralize mass, as well as lowering the noise level at idle.
- Compact muffler design has dual internal chambers that helps to performance and enhances the exhaust note. Stainless steel end cap and cover provide stylish Z design elements.
Assist and Slipper Clutch(KP)
- Using the rotational forces of the clutch hub and pressure plate, the clutch is forced together during acceleration (Assist function) so that fewer and lighter clutch springs can be used for a lighter feel at the lever. During high back-torque, such as when too low of a gear is selected during downshifting, the Slipper function allows some clutch slippage to help prevent engine lock-up, stalling and rear wheel hop.
- Judder spring component helps prevent judder when the clutch is disengaged.
- Short gear ratios for first through fifth gears provide strong acceleration in the mid-range, the most-used part of the powerband for everyday riding.
- Sixth gear is an overdrive gear for more relaxed highway cruising.
Electronic Riding Aids:
Kawasaki Traction Control System (KTRC)(KP)
- 3-mode system covers a wide range of riding conditions, offering either enhanced sport riding or rider assurance by facilitating smooth riding on slippery surfaces.
- Modes 1 and 2 control ignition timing like Sport-Kawasaki Traction Control (S-KTRC), which uses complex analysis to predict when traction conditions are about to become unfavorable and act before wheel slippage exceeds the range for optimal traction. Mode 3 has higher sensitivity and controls ignition timing, fuel and air for ultra-smooth operation.
- A switch on the left handlebar switch housing gives the rider the option to turn the system off.
- Allows riders to set power characteristics to suit riding conditions and style. Riders can choose between full power operation or low power, which is approximately 55 percent of full with a milder throttle response.
Integrated Riding Modes:
Sport, Road, Rain, Rider (manual)
- All-inclusive modes that link KTRC, Power Mode and KECS allow riders to efficiently set traction control, power delivery and suspension character to suit a given riding situation.
- Riders can choose from Sport, Road, Rain or a manual setting (Rider). In the manual Rider mode, each of the systems can be set independently.
– Sport: enables riders to enjoy sporty riding on winding roads.
– Road: offers comfortable riding over a wide range of situations, from city riding to highway cruising and rural roads.
– Rain: offers rider reassurance when riding on a wet road surface.
|RIDING MODE||KTRC||POWER MODE|
|Rider (manual)||1,2,3 or Off||F or L|
- A key component to the Z900’s light weight, the frame weighs in at just under 30 pounds and contributes significantly to the bike’s light, nimble handling.
- Frame components are arranged so that the lines of the frame are as straight as possible. When bends were necessary their angles were as small as possible, resulting in a design that disperses stress extremely well.
- Five-point, rigidly-mounted engine is a stressed member, which contributes to weight savings.
- Twin-tube rear frame section contributes to the low seat height and easy reach to the ground while minimizing vibration transferred though the seat.
Inverted Front Fork
- 41mm inverted front fork features stepless rebound damping and spring preload adjustability in the left fork tube, with the adjusters conveniently located on the fork cap.
Horizontal Back-link Rear Suspension(KP)
- The linkage is placed atop the swingarm for better mass centralization and to make room for the exhaust pre-chamber.
- Lay-down shock absorber is further away from the exhaust so that its operation will not be affected by exhaust heat. The shock has adjustable preload and rebound damping.
- Extruded aluminum swingarm is lightweight and rigid.
- Suspension settings provide both sporty performance and comfort.
- Dual 300mm front petal discs and 250mm rear petal disc are clamped by dual opposed piston calipers with resin brake pads to deliver ample braking power.
- A linear brake touch facilitates control for riders of all skill levels.
Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)(KP)
- ABS model helps prevent wheel lock-up during sudden over-application of the brakes or while braking on low-grip surfaces for an added degree of reassuring braking performance.
Wheels & Tires
- Five-spoke star-pattern wheels are light weight with high rigidity to benefit handling.
- Dunlop Sportmax Roadsport 2 tires contribute to light handling.
- A wide, flat handlebar and relaxed yet sporty riding position offers a blend of control and comfort that allows the rider to enjoy a variety of riding situations.
- The handlebar/seat/footpeg relationship helps enhance communication between the rider and machine, giving the rider confidence-inspiring feedback.
- The fuel tank is narrow at the rear to help riders grip the bike with their knees.
- A low seat height and slim overall design facilitates riders placing both feet on the ground for smoother, confident stops.
- The rider’s seat is slim at the front to facilitate the reach to the ground and wider towards the rear for good ride comfort.
- Rubber-mounted handlebar ends and footpeg pads, as well as rider footpeg weights, help dampen vibrations for a more comfortable ride.
- Five-way adjustable brake and clutch levers accommodate a variety of hand sizes for increased comfort.
Distinctive Z Styling
- The Z900’s aggressive Z styling is inspired by the sugomi styling concept. Sugomi describes the intense aura or energy given off by a person or object of greatness and felt by the viewer. Someone, or something, possessing sugomi inspires awe, leaves an indelible impression, is daunting in stature or ability, and commands respect. Elegant bodywork flowing from head to tail is combined with minimalist coverage in the engine area is devised to draw attention to its functional beauty. A condensed appearance emphasised by slim, close-fitting bodywork gives the bike a light, agile image that reflects its sporty performance.
- Compact shrouds, fuel tank cover, under cowl and swingarm pivot cover contribute to the sharp image.
- Headlight cowl and meter visor help form a slim, flowing line from the top of the elegantly sculpted fuel tank for an aggressive appearance.
- Resin fuel tank cap has no visible bolts for a cleaner look.
- Engine shrouds have a sharp shape with minimal overhang add to the flowing design, allow a clear view of the engine, and contribute to a condensed, lightweight look.
- Under cowls have a unitized design so that they look like part of the engine.
- Flowing, upswept tail cowl contributes to the sporty image.
- LED taillight lights up in a Z shape.
TFT Color Instrumentation
- New 4.3-inch all-digital TFT (thin-film transistor) color instrumentation gives the cockpit a high-tech, high-grade appearance.
- TFT delivers a high level of visibility. The screen’s background color is selectable (black or white), and screen brightness adjusts automatically to suit available light.
- Display functions include: digital speedometer, digital bar-style tachometer, gear position indicator, shift lamp, fuel gauge, odometer, dual trip meters, current and average fuel consumption, remaining range, average speed, total time, coolant temperature, clock, battery voltage, Kawasaki service reminder, oil change reminder and the Kawasaki Economical Riding Indicator.
- Bluetooth chip allows connection to smartphone and RIDEOLOGY THE APP.
RIDEOLOGY THE APP Smartphone Connectivity†
† Do not operate smartphone while riding
- A Bluetooth® chip built into the instrument panel enables riders to connect to their motorcycle wirelessly. Using the smartphone application “RIDEOLOGY THE APP,” a number of instrument functions can be accessed, contributing to an enhanced motorcycling experience.
– Vehicle Info: information such as fuel level, mileage, maintenance schedule, etc can be viewed via the smartphone.
– Riding Log: GPS route information as well as vehicle running information can be logged and viewed via the smartphone.
– Telephone notices: when a call or mail is received by the smartphone, it is indicated on the instrument display.
– Vehicle Settings: Riding Mode (Road, Sport, Rain, Rider) can be set in advance on the smartphone and uploaded when paired with the bike, as can riding support systems (like KQS) and the payload mode.
– General Settings: general instrument display settings (such as preferred units, date, date format, etc) can be adjusted via the smartphone.
- Once vehicle information has been downloaded to the app, it can be viewed on the smartphone. Available information includes: odometer, trip A, trip B, fuel gauge, remaining range, average gas mileage, average speed, max lean angle (right/left), battery voltage, Kawasaki service reminder, oil change reminder, etc.
- Detailed riding logs including GPS information and vehicle running information can be recorded. While riding, the app tracks vehicle speed, rpm, gear position, throttle position, front brake fluid pressure, acceleration/deceleration, current mileage, and coolant temperature from moment to moment. Once the riding log has been paired, riders can review these items in a graphic-style display at any point along the route. The app can also display a ride summary, with information that may include: route travelled, total distance, total time, gas mileage (best/average), speed (best/average), max lean angle (right/left), etc. For either display mode, riders can select which items are displayed, and can arrange them in their preferred order.
- When riding with the app ON the bike and smartphone are always connected. When the engine is turned off, the latest riding information stored by the app may be viewed on the smartphone. Any vehicle setting changes made via the app while the engine is off, or while out of range, will be uploaded when the ignition is turned on and the smartphone is in range with the app ON. General settings can only be updated via the app when the bike and smartphone are connected.
2021 Kawasaki Z900 ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $8999 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $10399 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine Type 4-Stroke, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC, 4 Valve Cylinder Head, Transverse In-Line 4-Cylinder
Displacement 948 cc
Bore & Stroke 73.4 x 56.0 mm
Maximum Torque 73.0 lb.-ft @ 7,700 rpm
Compression Ratio 11.8:1
Fuel Injection DFI with Mikuni 36mm Throttle Bodies (4)
Ignition TCBI with Digital Advance
Final Drive Sealed Chain
Rake/Trail 24.5°/4.1 in.
Front Wheel Travel 4.7 in.
Rear Wheel Travel 5.5 in.
Front Tire Size 120/70 ZR17
Rear Tire Size 180/55 ZR17
Wheelbase 57.1 in.
Front Suspension 41mm Inverted Fork with Adjustable Preload and Rebound Damping
Rear Suspension Horizontal Back-link with Adjustable Preload
and Adjustable Rebound Damping
Front Brake Type Dual 300mm Petal Discs with Opposed 4-Piston Calipers/ABS
Rear Brake Type Single 250mm Disc/ABS
Fuel Tank Capacity 4.5 gal.
Seat Height 31.3 in.
Curb Weight= 463.1 lb.
Warranty 12 months
Kawasaki Protection Plus™ 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
(Specifications subject to change without notice.)
= Includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90% of capacity) and tool kit (if supplied).
When equipped, 50-state models with evaporative emissions equipment adds approximately 2.2 pounds.
(KP) = See Kaw-Pedia section for more details.
2021 Kawasaki Z900 ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
|Engine||948cc, liquid-cooled, 4-stroke DOHC 16-valve in-line four|
|Bore x Stroke||73.4 x 56.0 mm|
|Fuel System||Fuel injection: ø36 mm x 4 with sub-throttles|
|Lubrication||Forced lubrication, wet sump|
|Clutch||Wet multi-disc, manual|
|Frame||Trellis, high-tensile steel|
|Front Suspension / Wheel Travel||ø41 mm inverted fork with rebound damping and spring preload adjustability / 120 mm (4.7 in)|
|Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel||Horizontal Back-link with rebound damping and spring preload adjustability / 140 mm (5.5 in)|
|Rake / Trail||24.9° / 110 mm|
|Steering Angle (L/R)||33° / 33°|
|Front Tire||120/70ZR17M/C (58W)|
|Rear Tire||180/55ZR17M/C (73W)|
|Front Brakes||Dual semi-floating ø300 mm petal discs with opposed 4-piston calipers|
|Rear Brake||ø250 mm petal disc with single-piston caliper|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||2,070 x 825 x 1,080 mm (81.5 x 32.5 x 42.5 in)|
|Wheelbase||1,455 mm (57.3 in)|
|Road Clearance||145 mm (5.7 in)|
|Seat Height||820 mm (32.3 in)|
|Curb Mass**||212 kg (467 lb)|
|Fuel Capacity||17 litres|
|Instrumentation||Full-colour TFT screen with digital speedometer, digital bar-style tachometer, gear position indicator, shift lamp, fuel gauge, odometer, dual trip meters, current and average fuel consumption, remaining range, average speed, total time, coolant temperature, clock, battery voltage, Kawasaki service reminder, oil change reminder, Riding Mode indicator, smartphone call and mail notices, Bluetooth indicator, and Economical Riding Indicator|
|Kawasaki Protection Plus||12 / 24 / 36 / 48 months|
2021 Kawasaki Z900 ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).