2017 Yamaha YZF-R6 Review
2017 Yamaha YZF-R6 on www.Totalmotorcycle.com
REFINED – REDESIGNED – REMARKABLE…
The most dominant 600cc sportbike with reigning back-to-back MotoAmerica Championships is sharper than ever with a long list of performance enhancing refinements.
Since its debut in 1999, the R6 has been the bike of choice for serious 600 class riders and racers. For 2017, the R6 features a host of improvements including new ABS brakes with larger front rotors, new 43 mm fully adjustable inverted forks and an R1 inspired body design that is sure to turn heads. The R6 is full of innovation and technology you won’t find on the competitor’s machinery.
Refined. Redesigned. Remarkable.
The YZF-R6 is a legend! On the street and with 3 Supersport World titles in recent years also on the race track. One ride on this MotoGP-bred racer and you enter the exciting world of Yamaha. R WORLD!
Featuring newly developed low-drag bodywork and an aggressive look that bears all the characteristics of Yamaha’s thoroughbred R-series DNA, the new YZF-R6 has arrived.
And with its advanced electronics and next level aerodynamics, the YZF-R6 gives you extreme supersport performance with absolute control.
Ultra-compact, lightweight, short stroke, 599 cc, DOHC, 16-valve, liquid-cooled, in-line four-cylinder engine with lightweight titanium valves produces incredible horsepower. Redline is set at an amazing 16,000 rpm
The YZF-R6 features a newly designed front fairing and windscreen that provides an 8% improvement in aerodynamic efficiency. This contributes to a higher top speed during track riding.
The front end gets an upgrade with YZF-R1 based easy-adjustable KYB 43 mm inverted forks and larger 320 mm discs with ABS which provides superb stopping power.
2017 Yamaha YZF-R6 www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
•Beauty – Technology – Speed – Meet the All-New 2017 YZF-R6
On track or street, the YZF-R6® was already one of the most advanced and successful supersport machines ever built. For 2017, radical new styling wraps up an even more intelligent racing machine, complete with ABS brakes, new suspension and new electronic rider aids.
•Unparalleled Racetrack Success
The Yamaha YZF-R6 has won more AMA middleweight races and championships than any other 600cc sportbike, making it the number one choice for amateur and professional racers alike.
•Legendary R6 Handling
Already one of the most nimble machines in the supersport class, 2017 brings additional mass-centralization to the proven R6 package along with updated suspension, for improved front-end feedback and greater cornering confidence.
•Thrilling Power and Control
With a class-leading, high-revving four-cylinder powerplant at its heart, the R6 already screams across the start/finish line ahead of the pack, but for 2017, the addition of traction control and D-Modes allow the rider to extract even more performance from the potent engine.
2017 Yamaha YZF-R6 www.Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
/// Key Improvements for 2017:
• New 6 mode traction control system (5 – modes plus off)
• New D-Mode system ( 3 modes)
• New design C.F. die cast magnesium sub-frame
• New R1 based KYB 43 mm fully adjustable inverted fork with easy access adjusters (R6 specific settings)
• New fully adjustable KYB piggyback rear shock
• New ABS equipped brakes with larger 320 mm dual front discs
• New 17 litre R1 style aluminum fuel tank
• New YZF-M1 MotoGP inspired aerodynamic fairing
• New LED headlights & LED position lights
• New R1 style, folding mirrors with integrated LED turn signals
• New seat & R1 inspired “flow thru tail” section
• New lightweight cast aluminum wheels & tires
• New LCD instrument panel
• Ultra-compact, lightweight, short stroke, 599cc, DOHC, 4-valve, liquid-cooled, in-line four-cylinder engine with lightweight titanium valves produces championship winning horsepower. Redline is set at an amazing 16,000 rpm.
•engine meets or exceeds the new Euro EU-4 emissions & noise standards
•Compact “pent roof” cylinder head design features ultra-lightweight titanium valves.
•27 mm intake valves & 23 mm exhaust valves… all are lightweight titanium
• 23.75 degree total valve angle provides a compact combustion chamber
• single intake valve springs reduce weight & friction for optimum high rpm performance
• lightweight aluminum valve retainers
•Valve adjustment intervals are every 42,000 kms.
•High flow intake & exhaust ports mean excellent power delivery at all rpms.
•Lightweight magnesium cylinder head cover & crankcase case covers.
• Direct ceramic composite plated “liner less” stand alone cylinder (cylinder is not part of the upper crankcase).
• ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block, eliminating the liner & reducing weight
• excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery
• ceramic coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power
• Lightweight, short skirt, forged pistons.
• excellent durability & reduced mechanical vibration
• lightweight design aids in fast engine response
• friction reducing, thin design top rings
•lightweight tapered piston pins reduce weight
• inertial crank mass has been optimized for fast throttle response & acceleration
• crank journal bearings feature oil holes for increased oil supply for excellent durability
• High lift / high performance, hollow camshafts.
• designed to maximize power output across the rev range
• side driven design helps reduce engine width
• Crankcases feature a “tri-axis” layout for the crank, main & drive axles.
• creates a more compact & shorter engine front to back
• compact engine allows for optimum engine placement in the frame for desired weight distribution & great handling
• Closed loop, 41 mm Mikuni throttle body fuel injection system with twin injectors.
• twin injector (primary & secondary) system is used on our MotoGP M1 race bike & YZF-R1
• primary injectors are located in the throttle bodies, secondary injectors located in the air box very near the computer controlled intake funnels
• both primary & secondary injectors utilize 12 spray holes to maximize the atomization process
• secondary injectors, located inside the air box, begin to function at mid rpms (6,000 to 7,000rpm) thru to redline
• special short intake tracts enhance higher rpm power
• “closed loop system” uses an oxygen sensor to “sniff” spent exhaust gases & automatically adjusts the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions
• fuel injection benefits include instant throttle response, choke-free starting, steady idle during warm up & reduced emissions
• Yamaha Chip Control Throttle (YCC-T) system.
• YCC-T electronically controls throttle valves for outstanding throttle response & controllability
• system features throttle position sensor (TPS) & D.C. motor driven throttle valves
• YCC-T system provides precise control of intake air volume for a smoother torque curve
• ECU that controls YCC-T is capable of responding to changes at a speed of 1000th of a second
•Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake (YCC-I) system.
• intake funnels / stacks move between 2 -preset positions depending on engine rpm
• transition rpm is approximately 13,500 rpms; funnel movement takes less than 0.3 of a second
• electronic servo motor controls the funnels / stacks.
• YCC-I provides the best of both worlds; solid low rpm torque & power combined with an amazing high rpm rush
• Yamaha “D-Mode” variable throttle control system … 3 modes available.
• enables rider to adjust the performance characteristics of the engine based on riding preferences or conditions
• standard mode offers throttle response well suited to a variety of riding conditions, emphasizing linear throttle control
• A-mode enhances throttle response allowing riders to enjoy even sportier engine performance
• B -mode offers softer, slower throttle response well suited for wet or slippery riding conditions
•Traction control system … 5 modes available plus off.
• works in conjunction with the YCC-T system & utilizes same wheel sensors as ABS system
• system senses when the rear wheel begins to spin & modifies the throttle opening, ignition timing & fuel injection duration to reduce power until wheel spin matches the chosen setting
• 5 modes plus off: minimal to maximum intervention as per rider choice. Maximum intervention is well suited for slippery conditions.
• TCS button is handlebar mounted; status indicator / warning light in meter assembly
• 7.6 litre air box utilizes a high flow viscous paper type air filter.
•Ram air induction system.
• features centrally located intake duct delivering cool, “force-fed” air which pressures the air box & increases power output at higher speeds
• straight shot induction from centrally located fairing duct to air box without bends or turns
• Close ratio 6-speed transmission delivers seamless power delivery & maximum acceleration.
• gear widths, splines & engagement dogs have been optimized to handle the R6’s power
• gears use flat contact-type engagement dogs for smooth, positive shifting & great durability.
•pre-wired for accessory quick shifter
•Slipper or back limiter clutch assembly.
• reduces the effects of engine braking & improves rear wheel control by eliminating rear wheel hop or chatter when down shifting under hard braking
• Wet sump oil lubrication system with liquid-cooled oil cooler.
• oil quantity has been optimized to reduce internal frictional loses caused by “oil drag”
• liquid-cooled oil cooler ensures consistent engine temperatures for maximum performance & extended service life
• High capacity cooling system.
• curved radiator provides more surface cooling area than a flat rad for excellent cooling efficiency
• ring-type fan provides increased airflow (and cooling) versus a standard cooling fan
• Maintenance-free Transistor Controlled Ignition (TCI).
• produces a strong spark for fast starts
• provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
• Direct ignition coils, iridium dual electrode spark plugs & high-output magneto.
• ignition coils are integrated into plug caps, significantly reducing weight & complexity
• “Mid ship” 4-into-2-into-1 exhaust system.
• maximizes engine performance & centralizes mass for light, agile handling
• header pipe diameter & length have been optimized for optimum flow
• System features three, 3-way honeycomb catalyzers to reduce exhaust emissions. The oxygen sensor provides feedback to the ECU so it can adjust for the optimum fuel/air mixture. The “mid ship” titanium muffler is located low in the chassis to central mass & lower the center of gravity for incredible handling.
• Yamaha’s EXUP system (Exhaust Ultimate Power Valve).
• part of the mid ship exhaust system
• utilizes a titanium body & butterfly valves that reduce the “blow back” phenomenon caused by “valve overlap”
• design reduces weight & maximizes cornering clearance
• EXUP system helps eliminates “flat spots” in the power band & reduces emissions
• High powered 32 bit electronic control unit actually contains three ECUs to control the FI system, YCC-T & YCC-I systems & ignition mapping.
• Air injection system (AIS … not ram air) injects fresh air into exhaust ports to fully burn any unburnt fuel, further reducing exhaust emissions.
•Compact, lightweight aluminum Deltabox frame offers an optimized rigidity balance for incredibly light & agile handling.
• MotoGP inspired innovation that Yamaha calls a “straight frame concept”, meaning top spars of the frame lie as close to possible to the frame’s torsional axis (the line connecting the head pipe to the swingarm pivot point).
• ram air duct passes through the frame at the head pipe for a straight ram air effect
• mix of mold castings & pressed aluminum plates make up the frame
• engine is a fully stressed chassis member allowing for a super-light main frame design
• New, slim design detachable CF die cast magnesium rear sub frame.
• sub-frame is 20 mm narrower at seat – tank junction
• new narrower sub-frame works in conjunction with new seat for quick, easy rider movements
• detachable design allows easier rear shock access & can be replaced in the event of damage
•Lightweight, aluminum “gull wing” type swingarm.
• lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for superior suspension performance
• mix of castings & pressed plates for optimum rigidity
• swingarm pivot position has been optimized to reduce the “squat” tendencies caused by drive chain reaction to hard throttle openings
• excellent rear wheel traction & control
• Key chassis geometry figures:
• 1380 mm wheelbase, 24 degree caster angle, 97mm of trail and a 52.5% front & 47.5% rear weight distribution
• 57 degree maximum lean angle
•New, fully adjustable, R1 based, 43mm inverted front fork with 120 mm (4.7″) of wheel travel.
• incredible suspension performance with excellent “feedback”
• inverted design benefits include; reduced “unsprung” weight, reduced fork flex since the larger diameter tubes are gripped in the triple clamps & optimized rigidity
• adjustments include: spring preload, high speed compression damping, low speed compression damping & rebound damping. Settings are specific to the R6.
• all adjusters are located on top of the fork caps for fast, easy access
• adjustments allow the rider to tune suspension to match riding style & road or track conditions
• new, 25 mm front axle
• Revised, fully adjustable Monocross link rear suspension utilizes a new KYB piggyback shock with 120mm (4.7″) of wheel travel.
• adjustments include: spring preload, high & low speed compression damping and rebound damping adjustability
• piggyback desgn allows room for adjusters & helps to keep the shock cooler for consistent damping performance
• ABS equipped, radial mount, mono-block 4-piston calipers squeeze new, larger 320mm dual front discs.
• radial mount design helps to reduce caliper distortion for improved braking performance
• aluminum disc carriers reduce weight
• Nissin radial master cylinder provides excellent front brake lever feel & feedback
• ABS equipped, lightweight 220mm rear disc brake is squeezed by a single-piston caliper.
• Anti-lock braking system (ABS).
• controlling ECU & hydraulic unit are combined into a single compact unit to reduce weight & centralize mass
• when ABS system senses impending wheel lock-up (via active type wheel sensors) it regulates hydraulic pressure to the point just before the wheel(s) lock-up
• ABS benefits include; excellent control under hard braking or when braking on wet, slippery or loose surfaces
•New lightweight, 5-spoke cast aluminum 17″ wheels.
• reduce unsprung weight by making hub & spokes a single structural unit
• special casting technique makes the rim section substantially lighter & stronger
• front rim size is MT3.50 x 17, rear rim is MT5.50 x17
•New, 17-litre aluminum fuel tank.
• over 1 kg weight savings Vs last year’s steel tank
• provides excellent rider mobility (narrower seat-fuel tank junction)
• reserve portion of the tank is 3.5 liters (low fuel light illuminates)
• internal electric fuel pump
•All new, ultra-sleek, YZF-M1 MotoGP inspired front fairing.
• 8 % improvement in aerodynamic efficiency Vs. ’16 model
• centrally located ram air duct
•most aerodynamic production motorcycle ever produced by Yamaha
• New LED main headlights & LED position lighting.
• main headlights utilize 4 – LED bulbs; inner 2 illuminate on low beam, all 4 illuminate on high beam
• string-type LED position lights mounted above the main headlights
• New design, separate rider & passenger seats.
• new rider seat enhances the narrower sub-frame for fast, easy rider movements
•New, compact race inspired multi-function analogue & digital instrumentation cluster.
• readouts include; analog tach, digital speedometer, dual trip meters, gear position indicator, low fuel warning light, fuel trip meter (counts kilometers since low fuel light illuminated), clock, stop watch, D-mode & traction control indicators, coolant temp, outside air temp, instant& average fuel consumption & a self -diagnostic mode
•programmable shift light & stop watch/lap timer
•adjustable back lighting
•New design, LED taillight for excellent visibility.
• Immobilizer ignition system to reduce the possibility of “ride away” theft.
• system must recognize the “coded ignition key” in order for the unit to start
• if immobilizer ignition does not recognize the key, the ignition system & starter will not function, even if the ignition is forced into the on position
• lightweight 525 O-ring chain
• steering lock
• under seat bungee cord attachment straps & helmet holder cable
• new, smaller, low maintenance sealed gel-type battery (battery should be charged during winter storage)
Note: The YZF-R6 offers a significant level of power and performance. It is not intended for novice or inexperienced riders.
Engine Type 998cc, liquid-cooled inline 4 cylinder DOHC; 16 valves
Bore x Stroke 79.0mm x 50.9mm
Compression Ratio 13.0:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission 6-speed w/multiplate slipper clutch
Final Drive O-ring chain
Suspension / Front 43mm KYB® inverted fork; fully adjustable; 4.7-in travel
Suspension / Rear KYB® Single shock w/piggyback reservoir, 4-way adjustable; 4.7- in travel
Brakes / Front Dual 320mm hydraulic disc; 4-piston caliper,
Unified Brake System and ABS
Brakes / Rear 220mm disc; Unified Brake System and ABS
Tires / Front 120/70ZR17
Tires / Rear 190/55ZR17
L x W x H 80.9 in x 27.2 in x 45.3 in
Seat Height 33.7 in
Wheelbase 55.3 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 24.0°
Trail 4.0 in
Fuel Capacity 4.5 gal
Fuel Economy** 34 mpg
Wet Weight*** 448 lb
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Cerulean Silver/Raven
2017 Yamaha YZF-R6 – www.Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $13999 CDN
Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valves (4-valves/cyl) (titanium), in-line four
Bore and Stroke
67 x 42.5 mm
6.6 kg-m (47.7 ft-lb) @ 11,500 rpm
YCC-T, YCC-I, Traction Control, D-Modes
41 mm Mikuni throttle body F.I. with twin injectors (primary & secondary)
Estimated Fuel Consumption±
17.9 kpl / 50 mpg (Imp.)
Ignition / Starting
TCI / Electric
Fully adjustable 43mm inverted fork / 120mm (4.7″) wheel travel
Fully adjustable link Monocross / 120mm (4.7″) wheel travel
Dual 320mm discs / radial mount 4-piston calipers / ABS equipped
220mm disc / single piston caliper / ABS equipped
695 mm (27.4”)
1,150 mm (45.3”)
Rake / Trail
24° / 97mm (3.8″)
17 litres (3.7 imp.gallons)
190 kg (419 lbs.)
Bluish Pearl White
Matte Dark Metallic Grey
2017 Yamaha YZF-R6 – www.Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ See dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine type liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC, forward-inclined parallel 4-cylinder, 4-valves
Bore x stroke 67.0 mm x 42.5 mm
Compression ratio 13.1 : 1
Maximum power N/A
Limited power version N/A
Maximum torque N/A
Lubrication system Wet sump
Clutch type Wet, Multiple Disc
Fuel system Fuel Injection
Ignition system TCI
Starter system Electric
Transmission system Constant Mesh, 6-speed
Final transmission Chain
Fuel consumption 6.6 l/100km
CO2 emission 154 g/km
Frame Aluminium Deltabox
Front suspension system Telescopic forks, Ø 43 mm
Front travel 120 mm
Caster angle 24º
Trail 97 mm
Rear suspension system Swingarm, (link suspension)
Rear travel 120 mm
Front brake Hydraulic dual disc, Ø 320 mm
Rear brake Hydraulic single disc, Ø 220 mm
Front tyre 120/70 ZR17M/C (58W) Tubeless
Rear tyre 180/55 ZR17M/C (73W) Tubeless
Overall length 2,040 mm
Overall width 695 mm
Overall height 1,150 mm
Seat height 850 mm
Wheel base 1,375 mm
Minimum ground clearance 130 mm
Wet weight (including full oil and fuel tank) 190 kg
Fuel tank capacity 17 litres
Oil tank capacity 3.4 litres
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).