Team Suzuki Press Office – August 3.
Andrea Iannone: 11th – 1:56.644 (+ 0.668)
Alex Rins: 12th – 1:56.661 (+ 0.685)
Sylvain Guintoli: 24th – 1:58.114 (+ 2.138)
• Iannone showing pace around Top 10 in both sessions.
• Rins improves and stays close to team-mate.
• Guintoli returns as a Wild Card.
After a very short summer break of just two weeks, Team SUZUKI ECSTAR and the MotoGP paddock returned to action at Brno circuit. Sylvain Guintoli also joined Iannone and Rins, making his second Wild Card appearance of the season.
The Czech track was extremely hot from FP1 onwards, and before long the action was heating up too. The morning’s session was used mostly to settle back in and check the feelings and settings, however, Andrea Iannone was still able to set the sixth fastest time.
In FP2 the track temperature reached a scorching 51c. Despite this both Iannone and Rins improved their lap times and fought to be within the Top 10 overall. They completed the session in 11th and 12th respectively, around six tenths of a second behind the top time. Often on a Friday afternoon the sights are set on direct passage to Saturday’s Q2, but with temperatures expected to be high again tomorrow morning there will be plenty of opportunity during FP3 for Team SUZUKI ECSTAR’s riders to try and place themselves into the Top 10 ahead of qualifying.
Davide Brivio – Team Manager
“Despite the fact that we were not in the Top 10, I think that we have done a good job today working towards racing preparation. Andrea didn’t even change his tyres for his time attack, he continued to work with used tyres, and it looks like he’s found a good feeling and positive things. Alex also worked well today, he has some good pace with a used tyre too. So I think it’s been a good Friday, and now we have to continue like this.”
“I’m really happy about today, we’re not at the top but in any case my feeling with the bike is good and we worked in a good direction today. During the second practice we improved a lot, especially with my feeling, and the bike also improved a lot on race pace and this is important. I also need to improve in this area because during the last three races I’ve struggled a little bit. But today we worked in a good way and I’m really happy. Tomorrow we’ll try to improve a little bit more in some points, especially on the braking point during the first part of corner entry. We want to make a really good lap time so we can start at the front.”
“After FP1 we found some small problems, the rear was moving around and the suspension was a little soft on the front. We resolved these problems for FP2, and thanks to this I was able to try a few different tyre options for the race. I think the race pace we did during the first part of FP2 with used tyres was quite good, and in the end everything was good. We need to check the weather but I think the soft front and soft rear tyre combination won’t have enough grip, so they probably won’t be an option for the race. We need to be there tomorrow, we’re focused and our target is Q2.”
“It’s good to be back on the GSX-RR after competing in the Suzuka 8 Hours, the bike felt good this morning straight away and we did a good session, putting seven riders behind us and running a good pace. This afternoon we worked more on the tyres for the race and the feeling was quite different with the track being very hot, so we worked on the race rhythm and didn’t go for a time attack. It’s been a good first day and I’m looking forward to the rest of the weekend.”
Circuit: Automotodrom Brno Czech Republic
Air Temperature: 32c
Track Temperature: 49c
GP of Brno – Combined Classification after Day 1:
1. Dani PEDROSA Repsol Honda Team 1:55.976 (FP2)
2. Danilo PETRUCCI Alma Pramac Racing 1:56.099 0.123 / 0.123 (FP2)
3. Alvaro BAUTISTA Angel Nieto Team 1:56.144 0.168 / 0.045 (FP2)
4. Hafizh SYAHRIN Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1:56.200 0.224 / 0.056 (FP2)
5. Andrea DOVIZIOSO Ducati Team 1:56.218 0.242 / 0.018 (FP2)
6. Maverick VIÑALES Movistar Yamaha MotoGP 1:56.392 0.416 / 0.174 (FP2)
7. Valentino ROSSI Movistar Yamaha MotoGP 1:56.480 0.504 / 0.088 (FP2)
8. Tito RABAT Reale Avintia Racing 1:56.521 0.545 / 0.041 (FP2)
9. Johann ZARCO Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1:56.535 0.559 / 0.014 (FP2)
10. Marc MARQUEZ Repsol Honda Team 1:56.635 0.659 / 0.100 (FP2)
11. Andrea IANNONE Team SUZUKI ECSTAR 1:56.644 0.668 / 0.009 (FP2)
12. Alex RINS Team SUZUKI ECSTAR 1:56.661 0.685 / 0.017 (FP2)
13. Jack MILLER Alma Pramac Racing 1:56.915 0.939 / 0.254 (FP2)
14. Cal CRUTCHLOW LCR Honda CASTROL 1:57.014 1.038 / 0.099 (FP2)
15. Jorge LORENZO Ducati Team 1:57.205 1.229 / 0.191 (FP2)
16. Stefan BRADL HRC Honda Team 1:57.291 1.315 / 0.086 (FP1)
17. Aleix ESPARGARO Aprilia Racing Team Gresini 1:57.417 1.441 / 0.126 (FP2)
18. Pol ESPARGARO Red Bull KTM Factory Racing1:57.473 1.497 / 0.056 (FP2)
19. Franco MORBIDELLI EG 0,0 Marc VDS 1:57.498 1.522 / 0.025 (FP2)
20. Bradley SMITH Red Bull KTM Factory Racing 1:57.506 1.530 / 0.008 (FP2)
21. Takaaki NAKAGAMI LCR Honda IDEMITSU 1:57.647 1.671 / 0.141 (FP2)
22. Thomas LUTHI EG 0,0 Marc VDS 1:57.729 1.753 / 0.082 (FP2)
23. Scott REDDING Aprilia Racing Team Gresini 1:57.941 1.965 / 0.212 (FP2)
24. Sylvain GUINTOLI Team SUZUKI ECSTAR 1:58.114 2.138 / 0.173 (FP1)
25. Karel ABRAHAM Angel Nieto Team 1:58.127 2.151 / 0.013 (FP2)
26. Xavier SIMEON Reale Avintia Racing 1:58.453 2.477 / 0.326 (FP2)
Story issued by: Team SUZUKI ECSTAR