Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2010 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Kawasaki KLX250S
Built to get you there and back, pavement or not
When the pavement ends, the fun doesn’t have to stop if you’re riding the Kawasaki KLX™250S. Lights, turn signals and all the other things you need to ride on the street are here, but the KLX250S’s heart belongs in the dirt. With its 249cc liquid-cooled single, long-travel suspension and rugged steel frame, this lightweight machine lets you access the best of both worlds.
That compact and powerful four-stroke single-cylinder engine fires right up through the miracle of electric starting, and it mounts nice and low beneath a lightweight, high-tensile steel perimeter frame to provide a low center of gravity and enhanced maneuvering on tight trails. A gear-driven engine balancer keeps it nice and smooth for greater comfort and less fatigue on longer rides. The 34mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK carburetor provides great throttle response and broad, smooth power—not to mention fantastic fuel economy. The KLX250S meets strict CARB regulations, making it available in California.
A highly refined six-speed transmission contains the right gear for everything from first-gear offroad crawling through top-gear highway cruising, with an advanced shift cam for positive shift feel and firm engagement.
The rigors of off-road motorcycling dictate additional protection for the exposed underside of the machine: The KLX250S comes standard with an aluminum engine guard to protect its crankcase during off road adventures. Negotiating tight terrain also highlights another off-road reality — heat. Dual lightweight, high-capacity Denso radiators and an electric fan provide ample cooling.
The KLX250S’s straight-line stability is enhanced by use of a rigid square-section main frame, yet its short wheelbase gives it outstanding turning aptitude. Complementing the chassis is a lightweight aluminum swingarm employing a highly-rigid D-shaped cross section. KX™ racing-type chain adjusters allow for precise chain adjustments.
The KLX250S’s custom spring and damping settings, with slightly less wheel travel than a dedicated off-road machine, give a more planted feel in corners and make it easier for riders to reach the ground. The 43mm inverted cartridge-style front fork features 16-way adjustable compression damping and 10.0-inches of travel; the Uni-Trak® linkage-type rear suspension has 16-way adjustable compression and rebound damping, and provides 9.1-inches of wheel travel.
Strong, 4mm-thick spokes in the 21-inch front and 18-inch rear wheels provide for excellent wheel rigidity for enhanced off-road durability. The KLX250S also stops hard, thanks to twin-piston calipers squeezing a 250mm semi-floating petal disc up front and a 240mm petal disc at the rear.
Aggressively styled bodywork finishes off this powerful and rugged package, and a custom seat stuffed with firm urethane and a carefully chosen handlebar pull it all together for long, comfortable days on the road and off it.
Riders seeking enduro handling and modern engine performance in a dual-purpose motorcycle designed for effortless street riding will find it at their local Kawasaki dealership. The KLX250S offers serious capabilities in a fun, easy-to-ride package, regardless of where the adventure takes it.
Features and Benefits:
Single-cylinder 249cc DOHC Engine
– Compact engine design is lightweight and high revving, with a broad torque curve
– Good mass centralization for superior handling
– Flat-top piston and pentroof combustion chamber deliver an 11:1 compression ratio
– Lightweight piston, piston pin and connecting rod enable higher revs for maximum power
– Aluminum cylinder features electrofusion coating, which allows a tight piston-cylinder clearance for greater horsepower and increased engine life thanks to superior heat transfer and lubrication retention properties
– A gear-driven engine balancer provides smooth power delivery from idle to redline
– Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow, to boost low end torque while providing improved high-rpm breathing efficiency for more power
– 34mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK carburetor delivers the optimum amount of fuel at all rpm, contributing to improved response and power, as well as good fuel economy
– Meets strict CARB regulations, so it’s available in California
– Dual high-capacity, vertical-flow Denso radiators provide reliable and efficient engine cooling
– Radiators feature tightly packed cores and a fin design for excellent heat dispersion
– More consistent engine temperatures allow tighter engine clearances for quieter running and sustained power, while promoting longer engine life
– Cooling fan is powered by a shallow-footprint electric motor
– Quick and easy push-button starting
– Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release (KACR) automatically lifts one of the exhaust valves at cranking rpm, for reduced starting effort
– Secondary air system helps provide clean emissions
– USFS-approved spark arrester allows the KLX250S to access designated off-road public riding areas
– Allows engine’s full potential to be used
– Provides excellent acceleration as well as relaxed highway cruising
Inverted Front Forks
– 43mm inverted cartridge fork offers excellent rigidity and consistent damping performance; 10.0-inch travel means straight-line stability, great handling and a low seat height
– 16-way compression damping adjustment allows tuning for differences in rider weight and terrain
UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
– 9.1 inches of rear wheel travel for straight-line stability, great handling and a low seat height
– Progressive linkage rate provides a smooth ride and excellent bottoming resistance
– The gas-charged remote-reservoir shock features 16-way adjustable compression and rebound damping
– Lightweight, high-tensile steel for amazing rigidity
– No down tubes, for lower engine placement and lower center of gravity as well as ample ground clearance
– Lightweight, aluminum D-section swingarm is highly rigid and reduces unsprung weight
– KX™ racing-type chain adjusters allow precise adjustment to minimize drivetrain power losses
– KLX-spec handlebar for a more relaxed position and effortless control
– Footpegs are positioned close to the bike’s centerline
– KLX-spec seat shape and foam make it easier to change seating position
– Aggressive headlight and front fender design
– Two-piece radiator shrouds styled like the KX motocrossers
– Rear fender is a two-piece unit featuring a sharp tail light design that offers great visibility and further contributes to the KLX’s aggressive styling
Narrow Fuel Tank
– Narrow tank design gives riders maximum comfort and control without sacrificing capacity
– All-digital instrument console gives at-a-glance information, including a digital bar-graph tachometer, digital speedometer, clock, and dual trip meters
Petal disc brakes
– Front and rear disc brakes offer impressive stopping performance
– Twin-piston caliper grips a 250 mm petal disc up front
– 240mm rear petal disc for great power, feel and feedback
– Fat, 4mm spokes for greater off-road durability
– Tires with small tread blocks for longer tire life and increased grip on asphalt
2010 Kawasaki KLX250S Technology
The KLX250S is powered by a compact liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, single cylinder engine. With a bore and stroke of 72 x 61.2 mm, the engine displaces 249 cc.
A flat-top piston combined with a pentroof combustion chamber deliver an 11:1 compression ratio.
The KLX250S engine features an electrofusion cylinder. The ultra-hard coating in the aluminum cylinder bore offers superior heat transfer with light weight.
The lightweight piston, piston pin, and connecting rod allow high revs.
The 4-valve DOHC cylinder head provides maximum valve area for optimum flow to boost low end torque.
Revised transmission ratios set the 6th gear ratio closer to the 5th gear ratio, facilitating smother shifting for increased performance off-road and on.
Revised change cam shape offers better shift feeling, with gears clicking into place more firmly.
The 34 mm semi-flat slide CVK carburetor with TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) receives revised settings to deliver the optimum amount of fuel at all rpm, contributing to improved response, power, and fuel economy.
A gear-driven engine balancer ensures smooth power delivery from idle to redline. On long rides, this means greater rider comfort and less fatigue.
With an electric starter and Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release (KACR), which automatically lifts an exhaust valve at cranking rpm, starting the KLX250S is a breeze.
Precise control of ignition timing by the digital, DC-current-powered Capacitor Discharge Ignition contributes to easy starts and reliability under extreme conditions.
New, dual high-capacity Denso radiators like those used on our KX motocross bikes deliver superior cooling efficiency and contribute to space and weight savings. The radiators are very slim and feature tightly packed cores and a fin design for excellent heat dispersion.
A new thin print motor powers the cooling fan.
Environmentally friendly, a pipe catalyser and secondary air injection system ensure clean emissions.
The muffler is equipped with a spark arrester, meaning the KLX250S can access designated off-road areas.
Frame and chassis components based on the KLX300R are the source of the KLX250S’s high-level of off-road performance. Performance updates for the 2009 model year increase rideability and control both off-road and on.
The KLX250’s box and tubular-section high-tensile steel perimeter frame creates a slim, lightweight package. The 27.5o steering head angle and short wheelbase contribute to quick handling, while the high rigidity of the frame ensures straight-line stability.
Revised handlebar is straighter and moves the hand position up and in. The more relaxed position makes the bike easier to ride and control.
The 43 mm inverted cartridge-style front fork comes with 16-position compression and rebound damping adjustment. The cartridge provides consistent damping force by minimizing aeration of the fork oil.
Fork guards protect the inner tubes from rocks and brush.
New front and rear disc brakes offer impressive stopping performance. A twin-piston caliper grips a 250 mm semi-floating petal disc up front, while a single-piston caliper operates the 240 mm rear petal disc.
Wheel rigidity is increased care of thicker spokes (3.5 mm – 4.0 mm) contributes to lighter, smoother handling and offers greater durability for off-road riding.
All new Uni-trak linkage reduces front-rear pitching motion, resulting in increased straight-line stability and a more planted feel in corners.
The nitrogen-filled, remote reservoir rear shock has 16-position compression and rebound damping and threadless preload adjustability. Revised shock damping complements the new Uni-trak linkage.
The new lightweight, highly rigid aluminum D-section swingarm contributes to reduced unsprung weight.
New swingarm is wider to allow for greater tire selection.
New KX racing-type chain adjusters allow precise adjustment of chain slack, helping to minimise drivetrain power transfer loss.
Improved chain guide keeps the drive chain on-track in the harshest conditions.
Aluminum engine guard protects the crankcase from rocks and stones when riding on gravel or dirt roads. The 4 mm thick engine guard is both lightweight and strong.
New, all-digital instrument console gives at-a-glance information. Features include a digital bar-graph tachometer, digital speedometer, clock, dual trip meters, as well as indicator lamps for neutral, overheat, high beam, and turn signals.
New seat shape and stiffer urethane makes it easier to change seating position.
New front cowl and headlamp design give the KLX an aggressive new visage.
New off-road front fender contributes to the aggressive design.
New radiator shrouds are two-piece constructions like those on our KX motocrossers.
New off-road style rear fender is a two-piece construction.
2010 Kawasaki KLX250S – USA Specifications
MSRP $5,299 USD
Engine: Four-stroke, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC, four-valve single
Bore x stroke: 72.0 x 61.2mm
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Carburetion: Keihin CVK34
Ignition: Digital CDI
Final drive: Chain
Frame: Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel
Rake / trail: 26.5 degrees / 4.1 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 43mm Inverted Cartridge Fork with 16-Way Compression Damping Adjustment / 10.0 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAK® with Adjustable Preload, 16-Way Compression and Rebound Damping Adjustment / 9.1 in.
Front tire: 80/100×21
Rear tire: 100/100×18
Front brake: 250mm semi-floating petal disc with two-piston hydraulic caliper
Rear brake: 240mm petal disc with single-piston hydraulic caliper
Overall length: 86.6 in.
Overall width: 32.3 in.
Overall height: 47.4 in.
Ground clearance: 11.2 in.
Seat height: 35.0 in.
Curb weight: 297.7 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 2.0 gal.
Wheelbase: 56.3 in.
Color choices: Lime Green, Ebony
Good Times™ Protection Plan 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
Warranty 12 Months
*Note: Specifications and pricing are subject to change.
2010 Kawasaki KLX250S – Canada Specifications
MSRP: $6,249 CDN
Type 4-stroke, Single
Displacement 249 cc
Bore & Stroke 72.0 x 61.2 mm
Compression Ratio 11.0:1
Valve system DOHC, 4 valves, shim under bucket actuation
Carburetor Keihin CVK34
Ignition Digital DC-CDI
Cooling Liquid, twin radiators
Lubrication Forced lubrication, Semi-dry sump
Final Drive Chain
Transmission 6-speed, return
Primary Drive Gear
Primary Reduction Ratio 2.800 (84/30)
Gear Ratios: 1st 3.000 (30/10)
2nd 2.000 (30/15)
3rd 1.500 (27/18)
4th 1.250 (25/20)
5th 1.050 (21/20)
6th 0.952 (20/21)
Final Reduction Ratio 3.000 (42/14)
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual, cable operation
Type Perimeter High-tensile steel
Wheel Travel: Front 260 mm
Wheel Travel: Rear 230 mm
Tires: Front 3.00-21 (51P)
Tires: Rear 4.60-18 (63P)
Caster (Rake) 27.5°
Trail 110 mm
Steering Angle (Left/Right) 41° / 41°
Suspension, Front 43 mm inverted, cartridge-type, 16-click compression and 16-click rebound damping
Suspension, Rear Uni-Trak with fully adjustable spring preload, 16-click compression damping, 16-click rebound damping
Front: Type 250 mm semi-floating petal disc
Rear: Type 240 mm petal disc
Front: Caliper Dual-piston
Rear: Caliper Single-piston
Overall Length 2,222 mm
Overall Width 815 mm
Overall Height 1,195 mm
Wheelbase 1,440 mm
Ground Clearance 280 mm
Seat Height 885 mm
Curb Mass 135 kg
Fuel Capacity 7 litres
Colours Lime Green, Ebony
Warranty 12 months
Good Times Protection Plan 24 or 36 months (Kawasaki GTPP coverage begins after the standard limited warranty expires)
The specifications mentioned here apply to and have been achieved by production models under standard operating conditions. We intend only to give a fair description of the vehicle and its performance capabilities but these specifications may not apply to every machine supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice. Equipment illustrated and specifications may vary to meet individual markets. Available colours may vary by market.