2‑STROKES ‑ 1 GOAL.
2020 Yamaha YZ450FX:
POWER, TUNED TO PERFECTION
Built for x‑country domination with electric start and smartphone power tuner app that adjusts the bike’s settings to your style and the track.
The YZ450FX is developed from Yamaha’s flagship motocross model – the YZ450F – with many added features and unique settings that make it the ultimate cross-country/woods racer.
POWER TUNER APP
Yamaha’s exclusive Power Tuner app puts the flexibility and precision tunability of the GYTR Power Tuner into your smartphone. Make fuelling and ignition timing changes instantly and upload them to the bike via the onboard Wi-Fi system for the ultimate in track-side tuning.
A high-compression cylinder head, forged piston, aggressive cam profiles, cylinder geometry and much more work together to give YZ450FX riders the ideal power spread in challenging XC racing conditions.
The YZ450FX features a bilateral beam aluminum frame focused on rigidity, durability and bump absorption, while class-leading KYB suspension with speed-sensitive damping provides exceptional handling, cornering feel and straight-line confidence.
2020 Yamaha YZ450FX Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- Yamaha Power Tuner app
- Cross-country-focused settings
- “Reversed” rearward-slanted engine design with 4-valve cylinder head (titanium valves)
- Forward-mounted fuel injection and rear-exiting “wrap around” exhaust
- Electric starting
- 5-speed, wide-ratio transmission
- Bilateral-beam aluminum frame
- YZ-based, fully adjustable KYB suspension
- 18-inch rear wheel
- Adjustable handlebar
MARIETTA, Ga. – June 4, 2019 – Yamaha Motor Corp., USA, announces its complete lineup of 2020 cross-country motorcycles specially designed for Hare Scrambles and Grand National Cross-Country (GNCC®) races, including the all-new YZ125X two-stroke motorcycle, as well as a newly redesigned YZ250FX.
“Yamaha’s cross-country lineup builds on the unmatched success of our motocross designs, using industry leading technology to provide uncompromised performance for the tight, technical terrain of Hare Scramble and GNCC racing,” said Steve Nessl, Yamaha’s motorsports marketing manager. “With the introduction of the all-new YZ125X and newly redesigned YZ250FX, Yamaha offers even more variety to meet the demands of cross-country racers and enthusiasts alike.”
Also returning to Yamaha’s 2020 cross-country lineup is the two-stroke YZ250X, and four-stroke YZ450FX, translating Yamaha’s YZ450F flagship motocross performance to the woods with cross-country enhancements.
Yamaha off-road competition bikes offer the latest technology and performance features designed to win races and help enthusiasts become one with their machine to make them the best riders possible – putting them in the victorYZone and atop the podium.All-New 2020 YZ125X: Level-Up Your Performance
Designed to be the perfect step up to a full-size cross-country machine, this lightweight two-stroke is the pinnacle of performance on the racecourse.An all-new model for 2020, the Yamaha YZ125X is optimized for the unique demands of Hare Scrambles and GNCC racing. It sports Yamaha’s Power Valve System-equipped (YPVS™) 125cc, liquid-cooled, two-stroke, reed-valve-inducted engine, combined with a six-speed transmission tuned for smooth, wide, and controllable power character across the rev range. This backwoods racer is built on an ultra-lightweight aluminum frame carefully engineered for the perfect balance of rigidity and flex.Cross-country performance of the YZ125X is optimized with model specific digital CDI ignition settings, new power valve shape, open timing, open duration, as well as a new cylinder head combustion chamber shape, all of which are focused on creating broad power delivery that suits off-road terrain and a wide range of rider skill levels.The 2020 YZ125X is further equipped to endure the punishing terrain of cross-country racing with durability and comfort-enhancing features including a sealed O-ring chain, a standard side stand, and fuel tank petcock with reserve position. Fully adjustable, industry-leading KYB® speed-sensitive spring-type suspension has been tested and tuned specifically for the needs of cross-country racers. Enduro-specific Dunlop® Geomax AT81 tires with an 18-inch rear are ready to head straight to the races thanks to taller sidewalls for improved comfort and reduced pinch flats. A large 270mm front disc brake coupled with high-performance pad material offers outstanding machine control and performance, with exceptional stopping power and controllability for tight wooded trails.
The all-new 2020 YZ125X will be available from dealers this month in Team Yamaha Blue for $6,699 MSRP.
New 2020 YZ250FX: Your Power. Your Way.
This cross-country racer has all the features to win including the smartphone power tuner app that adjusts the bikes settings to your style and the track.
The 2020 YZ250FX is an out-of-the-box Hare Scrambles and GNCC competition machine. Based on the championship-winning 2019 YZ250F, it features Yamaha’s revolutionary front-intake, rear-exhaust, liquid-cooled, DOHC four-stroke power plant with an added sixth gear, wide ratio transmission, and a range of cross-country upgrades. Yamaha’s latest generation, aluminum bilateral beam frame delivers strength, lightness and durability for the tight, technical terrain of cross-country racing while still providing optimum stability in fast sections. The bike also features improved electronics including a compact, center mounted electric start system powered by an ultra-lightweight, four-cell, lithium-ion battery to minimize restart delays mid-race and add convenience everywhere else.
All-new bodywork on the YZ250FX is slimmer than ever, giving the bike a compact, nimble feel and easing rider movement across the machine in tough terrain. Fully adjustable, industry-favorite KYB suspension is specifically tuned for off-road racing and combined with Dunlop MX3S tires with 18-inch rear to deliver excellent comfort and durability in harsh conditions. Additionally, the YZ250FX is equipped with performance and convenience including four-position rubber-mounted handlebar clamps, a side-stand, wireless connectivity with the Yamaha Power Tuner App, and new for 2020, a handlebar-mounted map switch to adjust preselected engine maps on the fly.
The 2020 YZ250FX will be available from dealers in September in Team Yamaha Blue for $8,499 MSRP.
2020 YZ450FX: Power, Tuned to Perfection
Built for cross-country domination with electric start and smartphone power tuner app that adjusts the bike’s settings for various rider styles and track conditions.
The 2020 YZ450FX utilizes Yamaha’s distinct reward-slanted cylinder, 449cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke engine design, complete with rear exhaust and forward-mounted intake system all working together to deliver class leading power and controllability for cross-country racing. Its bilateral beam frame and engine mounting position optimizes the machine’s rigidity balance, resulting in improved cornering ability and traction, while industry-leading KYB suspension is specifically tuned to provide comfort and performance in the toughest of off-road conditions. Rider convenience is also a priority in the YZ450FX with enhancements including Yamaha’s ultra-lightweight electric start system for effortless restarts under pressure, wireless connectivity with the Yamaha Power Tuner app for precision tunability directly from a smart phone and a handlebar-mounted map switch to choose between user defined engine maps on the fly.
The 2020 YZ450FX will be available from Yamaha dealers in August in Team Yamaha Blue for $9,599 MSRP.
2020 YZ250X: Two-Strokes, One Goal
Engineered with all the reliability and durability you’ve come to expect from Yamaha, this 2‑stroke was made to win cross‑country races.
Yamaha’s 2020 YZ250X delivers classic two-stroke performance to cross-country racing. Its lightweight aluminum frame together with specifically tuned KYB spring type forks and rear shock provide unmatched handling performance and comfort in GNCC style conditions. The 249cc, reed-valve inducted engine, mated with a wide-ratio 5-speed transmission is race-ready. Based on the YZ250 motocross model, the YZ250X features a revised compression ratio, exhaust port, power valve timing, and model specific CDI unit for improved trail performance. All these features are focused on creating a wide, controllable power character along with light, nimble, and precise handling ideal for cross-country racing.
The 2020 YZ250X will be available from dealers this month in Team Yamaha Blue for $7,599 MSRP.
Yamaha bLU cRU Off-Road Racing Contingency
All 2020 YZ-X and YZ-FX models are once again eligible for Yamaha’s bLU cRU Off-Road Racing Contingency Program, with nearly $5 million for Yamaha bLU cRU riders competing in off-road motorcycle racing. YZ riders can earn contingency payouts via a bLU cRU debit card, receive a 10% rebate on GYTR parts and accessory purchases of up to $1,000
2020 Yamaha YZ450FX Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
- Reversed, liquid-cooled, 449 cc, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), fuel injected, single-cylinder engine.
- Electric starting.
- super convenient electric starting means faster re-starts and significantly reduced rider fatigue
- compact electric starter powered by a lightweight lithium ion battery
- Kick starter removed
- New, high-torque-type starter motor adopted for 2019
- “Reversed” engine design (FI system is front mounted, exhaust exits from rear of cylinder).
- FI throttle body and air box are front-mounted, providing a straight intake path
- straight shot intake path provides optimum fuel / air / exhaust flow for excellent power
- front-mounted intake keeps fuel cooler since engine heat has less effect on incoming fuel (cooler fuel is more dense and increases power)
- Rearward-slanted, reversed cylinder design centralizes mass.
- rearward slant moves a significant amount of rotating weight toward the centre of the chassis, centralizing mass for light, agile handling
- Revised, 4-valve cylinder head features a new 12.8:1 compression ratio.
- compact combustion chamber provides optimum combustion speed while also reducing heat and power losses
- 4-valve design offers optimum flow for excellent power and torque
- 37 mm titanium intake valves and 30.5 mm titanium exhaust valves
- Lightweight titanium valves use load-reduced oval valve springs.
- titanium reduces reciprocating weight and allows for a higher rpm limit (40% lighter than steel valves)
- reduced friction (load reduced) valve springs
- High-lift intake and exhaust cams and valve springs.
- intake and exhaust cam profiles and cam timing optimized for increased power output
- Lightweight titanium valves.
- titanium valves reduce weight and improve performance… titanium valves are 40-45% lighter than steel valves
- reduced valve weight improves valve train reliability and longevity
- reduced reciprocating weight allows for a higher rpm limit and better control of the valves
- Automatic cam chain tensioner.
- reduces maintenance and mechanical engine noise
- special cam chain “sliders” reduce internal frictional losses
- Lightweight, ceramic composite-plated “liner-less” aluminum cylinder.
- reduced weight (no sleeve or heavy liner); plating is sprayed directly on the aluminum block
- ceramic coating ensures faster, more uniform heat dissipation
- ceramic coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder and piston, reducing friction and increasing power
- Cylinder is offset relative to the crankshaft (to exhaust side).
- reduces frictional losses between piston and cylinder wall during the power stroke
- Cylinder “cutaways” allow air “trapped” under the piston to enter a side chamber (or cutaway)
- reduces horsepower-robbing “pumping losses”
- Crankcase also utilizes special cutaways.
- reduces horsepower-robbing “pumping losses”
- crankcase cutaways match cylinder cutaways for maximum efficiency
- Lightweight, short-skirt, forged aluminum piston and piston pin.
- lightweight design means faster throttle response and reduced mechanical vibration for excellent durability
- DLC (diamond-like coating) on piston pin and special coating on piston skirt reduces frictional losses
- Piston oil cooler jet nozzle directs oil to the cylinder, rod and underside of piston.
- reduces piston, cylinder and rod temperatures for excellent durability
- Carburized connecting rod for excellent durability.
- carburization is a type of heat treating that adds strength and hardness
- Lightweight gear driven balancer shaft.
- reduces vibration for improved rider comfort and reduces rider fatigue
- Updated clutch with quick-access magnesium outer cover and on-the-fly barrel adjuster.
- quick-access outer cover provides fast and easy clutch access
- light lever pull for reduced hand fatigue during a long moto
- combination of friction plates changed
- pressure plate redesigned for improved clutch feel
- clutch lever load reduced
- works-style, race-spec barrel adjuster for on-the-fly clutch lever free play adjustments.
- 5-speed transmission with 2-bar, floating shift guide system and 14 mm shift shaft.
- gears are wide to match engine power
- floating shift guide system provides smooth, positive shifts
- 14 mm shift shaft provides good durability in the event of a crash
- Lightweight, 44 mm Mikuni throttle body fuel injection system.
- 12-hole injector maximizes fuel atomization for more complete combustion and excellent power delivery
- FI benefits include automatic adjustments to insure the optimum fuel — air ratio regardless of outside air temperature and altitude
- other benefits include excellent throttle response and starting
- cold start knob (FID) doubles as an idle adjuster
- New Smartphone-based, wireless, Power Tuner app.
- super convenient, smartphone based Power Tuner
- no “hard” link required between the unit and smartphone… wireless signal via Wi-Fi
- app is free and will work with either iOS or Android platforms
- receiving communication control unit (CCU) is located under left side cover of bike
- adjustment range includes 16 settings for both fuel injection duration and ignition timing
- real-time machine monitoring function (engine rpm, throttle angle, battery voltage, coolant temp, intake air temp, outside air pressure, etc.)
- new maintenance function allows user to track hours of use for scheduled maintenance
- race log function is available to record and save settings from various tracks
- tuning maps and race logs can be shared
- New engine map selector with handlebar switch.
- Two maps are initially set for standard and low speed
- Maps can be modified using the Power Tuner app
- Forward mounted air box features a washable, dual-stage, foam air filter.
- No tools required to access air filter
- new airbox cover with single, quick-release fastener
- revised, washable dual-stage air filter
- Wet sump lubrication system.
- reduces weight (no remote oil tank or oil lines)
- eases maintenance (easier and faster oil changes)
- oil volume is optimized to reduce oil related drag and weight
- Easy-access “cartridge-type” oil filter for fast, easy oil changes.
- single-core, dual radiators provide outstanding cooling efficiency
- Updated radiator with increased core size.
- Core size increased by 12 cm2
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at any rpm
- Lightweight, wrap-around exhaust system.
- muffler derived directly from YZ450F
- sound output is 94 dB, meeting MRC and AMA regulations
- new rubber muffler-mounting system reduces vibration and improves durability
- Launch Control System (LCS).
- provides smoother, quicker starts with less wheel spin and front wheel lift
- allows rider to concentrate on clutch control, body position and machine
- system functions in 1st and 2nd gears only and is disabled when the bike is shifted into 3rd
- centralizes mass by moving weight closer to the centre of the chassis
- ECU controls the system and adjusts engine rpm to limit wheel spin and wheelies
- activation button is on the LHS handlebar and features a LED indicator light
- Special “G” sensor system.
- shuts down fuel injection system if bike lies on its side for more than 10 seconds
- helps prevent costly engine damage
- no special procedure to re-start the bike… just hit the electric start button and go!
- Compact, lightweight bilateral-beam aluminum frame from latest-generation YZ450F.
- centralizes mass for exceptional handling and manoeuvrability
- frame offers an optimum balance between strength, rigidity and tuned flex, plus excellent shock-absorbing and traction qualities
- Lightweight, tapered aluminum swingarm.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for optimum suspension performance
- excellent rear wheel traction and control
- Lightweight detachable rear sub frame.
- constructed of square-section, lightweight aluminum pipe with no bends
- allows easy access when servicing rear suspension components
- reduces cost in the event of a loop-out
- Adjustable 48 mm inverted Kayaba fork derived from latest-gen YZ450F
- speed-sensitive damping provides exceptional balance between handling and bump absorption
- 310 mm (12.2 in.) of wheel travel
- suspension settings specific to cross-country racing
- front fork adjustments include 20-way compression damping and 20-way rebound damping
- optional fork springs are available through GYPA
- damper unit is in a separate structure (completely separated air and oil chambers)
- helps prevent aerated fork oil from entering the inner damper assembly and degrading its damping abilities
- the inner damper is pressurized, eliminating bubbles forming in the oil
- Transfer Control Valve (TCV) offers more precise control throughout the full suspension stroke
- TCV is located on the upside of the spring and its function is controlled by piston speed, not piston position, hence the term “Speed Sensitive System fork”
- Large “wrap-around” plastic fork protectors provide excellent lower fork tube protection.
- self-supporting design reduces friction for smoother fork operation
- YZ450F-based KYB linkage-type rear suspension with 318 mm (12.5 in.) of wheel travel.
- shock valving and damping characteristics specially tuned for XC racing and new chassis
- separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping
- shock is in line with the centre axis of the frame for excellent control
- adjustability includes spring preload, low- and high-speed compression damping, and rebound damping
- 270 mm floating front “wave-style” disc and compact Nissin twin piston caliper.
- wave disc design reduces weight and improves cooling
- aggressive brake pad material offers excellent braking performance
- Shorty-style adjustable front brake lever can be adjusted to fit various hand sizes.
- 245 mm rear disc brake features a “wave-style” disc and single piston Nissin caliper and master cylinder.
- Rear caliper and lower portion of the wave disc are protected by heavy duty plastic protectors.
- heat-resistant rear rotor enhances brake durability
- Larger plastic-resin 8.2-litre fuel tank with compact in-tank electric fuel pump.
- larger tank accommodates longer distances
- tank can be flipped on its back without disconnecting fuel line (easy servicing under the tank)
- Lightweight, high-strength, tapered aluminum handlebar.
- adjustable handlebar holders offer a total of 4 different handlebar positions with an adjustment range of 30 mm (1.2 in) suits a wide variety of rider sizes
- handlebar holders are rubber-mounted for reduced vibration and improved rider comfort
- Handlebar mounted engine trouble and low fuel warning lights
- Adjustable handlebar holders offer a total of 4 different handlebar positions with an adjustment range of 30mm.
- suits wide variety of rider sizes
- handlebar holders are rubber mounted for reduced vibration and improved rider comfort
- Compact bodywork with embedded graphics.
- Narrow bodywork design optimizes rider mobility and enhances the lightweight feel and look of the YZ450FX
- flat design allows for fast, easy rider movements and a natural riding position
- minimal design aids in keeping the body work looking good longer (less plastic to scratch or damage)
- graphics are impregnated directly into the plastic rad shrouds and will not peel off or get damaged by pressure washing
- Flat seat design.
- provides easy rider movements
- non-slip seat cover material resists clogging with dirt or mud
- Lightweight D.I.D. front and rear rims.
- stylish blue colour creates up-spec vibe
- light design reduces unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance and handling
- excellent strength and durability due to cross-sectional rim design
- rear hub features second bearing on sprocket side for increased rigidity and durability
- Lithium ion battery.
- lightweight, compact battery and under-seat, lightweight composite battery box
- special battery management system (BMS) with “self-protection” mode both monitors and maintains battery condition
- Lower engine guard redesigned for improved protection
- Chain dimension reduced for weight reduction
- Lighweight aluminum kick stand modified for weight reduction
- Heavy duty plastic engine skid plate
- Convenient oil level sight glass
- Lightweight, extra wide foot pegs
- Folding shift lever tip helps prevent damage
- Heavy duty rubber swingarm protector
- Lightweight chain guide / support helps reduce chance of chain derailment and helps protect rear sprocket
- Easy-access Yamaha Diagnostic tool connector
2020 Yamaha YZ450FX – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $9,599 – Team Yamaha Blue
Canada MSRP Price: $10,899 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £See dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Australia MSRP Price: See dealer for pricing in AU
Engine Type 449cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 4 titanium valves
Bore x Stroke 97.0mm × 60.9mm
Compression Ratio 12.8:1
Fuel Delivery Mikuni® fuel injection, 44mm
Transmission 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Chain
Suspension / Front KYB® spring-type fork with speed sensitive
damping; fully adjustable, 12.2-in travel
Suspension / Rear KYB® single shock; fully adjustable, 12.5-in
Brakes / Front Hydraulic disc, 270mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic disc, 245mm
Tires / Front 80/100-21 Dunlop® MX3S
Tires / Rear 120/90-18 Dunlop® MX3S
L x W x H 85.6 in x 32.5 in x 50.0 in
Seat Height 37.6 in
Wheelbase 58.3 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 27.2°
Trail 4.6 in
Fuel Capacity 2.2 gal
Wet Weight 256 lb
Warranty 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Team Yamaha Blue
*** Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as
applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is
useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
2020 Yamaha YZ450FX – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
|Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), single|
|Bore and Stroke|
|97 x 60.9 mm|
|Mikuni 44 mm throttle body F.I.|
|Ignition / Starting|
|TCI / Electric|
|Constant mesh, 5-speed|
|Fully adjustable 48 mm inverted KYB fork / 310 mm (12.2 in.) wheel travel|
|Fully adjustable linkage-type / 318 mm (12.5 in.) wheel travel|
|270 mm, floating disc / twin-piston caliper|
|245 mm, disc / single-piston caliper|
|2,175 mm (85.6 in.)|
|825 mm (32.5 in.)|
|1,270 mm (50.0 in.)|
|1,480 mm (58.3 in.)|
|320 mm (12.6 in.)|
|955 mm (37.6 in.)|
|8.2 litres (1.8 Imp. gal.)|
|116 kg (256lb)|
|Yamaha Racing Blue|
2020 Yamaha YZ450FX – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
2020 Yamaha YZ450FX – Totalmotorcycle.com Australian Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).